View Full Version : Lighter hairs around face/ tea tree oil?

blue_eyes
January 24th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I brought this up in an unrelated thread but decided to make it a separate topic :P

All the hair along my hairline, especially around my temples is extremely blonde, while the rest of my natural hair is a darker blonde/blonette color. From the responses in the other thread, a bunch of other people had a similar experience with the hair in this area being lighter than the rest of their natural hair. Possible suggested reasons for this were exposure to sunlight, or face products used that end up touching these hairs.

All the face products I've used for the past few years have been from the tea tree line at The Body Shop. I was wondering if tea tree products lighten hair color at all. I looked into using tea tree oil on hair, and it said it can lightened dyed color but I saw nothing about it lightening natural color. I don't think mine is due to sunlight, the sun doesn't touch these hairs when I style my hair regularly, and if this was the case the hair all along my part would be light as well, which it isn't.

Is the hair around your face lighter than the rest? Do you think it's a result of using certain skin care products?

melusine963
January 24th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't worry about products. It's very, very common to have light whispies around your hairline. I have them myself, and I've always assumed it was simply due to increased sun exposure. Or they simply grow that way. After all, those hairs have a different terminal length to the rest and they have a different texture (much finer), so why not a different colour?

RancheroTheBee
January 24th, 2014, 09:57 AM
The hair near my temples and hairline are almost white. It's completely obnoxious because I dye my hair black and a lot of my photos make me look like my hair is thinning, but I'm of the conviction that I simply look better with darker hair. I don't think it's a result of face washes or products because a) It's always been like that and b) I've never used the same products on my face twice because I am obsessed with trying new things. A lot of topical acne medications, however, can "bleach" hair, but I think that if it's creeping into your hairline, you're rubbing the products too far into your hairline. I think a lot of people just have paler temple and hairline hair, tbh.

abauer789
January 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I brought this up in an unrelated thread but decided to make it a separate topic :P

All the hair along my hairline, especially around my temples is extremely blonde, while the rest of my natural hair is a darker blonde/blonette color. From the responses in the other thread, a bunch of other people had a similar experience with the hair in this area being lighter than the rest of their natural hair. Possible suggested reasons for this were exposure to sunlight, or face products used that end up touching these hairs.

All the face products I've used for the past few years have been from the tea tree line at The Body Shop. I was wondering if tea tree products lighten hair color at all. I looked into using tea tree oil on hair, and it said it can lightened dyed color but I saw nothing about it lightening natural color. I don't think mine is due to sunlight, the sun doesn't touch these hairs when I style my hair regularly, and if this was the case the hair all along my part would be light as well, which it isn't.

Is the hair around your face lighter than the rest? Do you think it's a result of using certain skin care products?

I think it is just a characteristic of blonde and blonettes - kind of an extension of the facial hair? If that makes sense. Like some darker hair people have darker facial hair, most blondes and blonettes have this light facial hair. So when it meets with the hairline it looks very light. But that is just my take on it.

Anje
January 24th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I've got that, without using anything that seems like it would bleach my hair. (No regular use of essential oils, no benzoyl peroxide, no weird masks. Just wash my face with cold cream and moisturize with straight oils.) Mine, however, are brighter red than the rest of my hair.

Kaelee
January 24th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Mine is also lighter and always has been, even before I used any kind of products.

fraulein_doktor
January 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Mine are very light too, especially those by the front of my ears. It's just the way they are.

TiaKitty
January 24th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Mine, too... no products, very little sun exposure, and the hair is just finer, and it curls differently. If I henna, that part turns fluorescent orange!

Salmonberry
January 24th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Yes, same here. The baby hairs around my face are almost white blonde. They always have been. My guess is that's just the way the follicles are programmed. They're very fine and therefore have less pigment deposited into them.

meteor
January 24th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I have the same thing going on. Hair around the face is not only lighter in colour, it is also much finer in texture. It gets even more obvious in summer-time with UV damage. It's such a natural thing that this principle is applied when you get highlights at a salon: more focus on lightening face-framing and canopy hair for a more natural look.

I use tea tree oil from the Body Shop too, but I've never read about or seen any lightening either on hair or skin. Citrus EOs (e.g. lemon) are the ones that have the capacity to lighten and brighten.

EmmAutumn
January 25th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Like others have said, i don't think products cause that bit of hair to be different in color. I've always had those lighter strands around my face before i started coloring my hair, i took a look at some childhood pictures just to be sure :) I defenitely think the sun makes them more obvious, mine would always get much lighter in the summertime. I liked them, it's one thing i miss about my virgin hair.