PDA

View Full Version : Do you care if your hair is greasy when in public?

longhairdesired
January 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
I shower daily but wash my hair once a week. It gets pretty oily on about the fourth day, but I still go out with it. I used to be really self conscious about it and used dry shampoo, but that dried my hair out and seemed like it made it fall out more. I don't care but my family isn't a fan of it. What about you guys? Do you care?

woodswanderer
January 23rd, 2014, 05:19 PM
Yes I care, but I have a cheat. I shower every day, but wash hair roughly 2 times a week. I comb my hair back, put a headband somewhat far back, and maybe a tiny bit of powder on the front for 3rd or 4th day. I also just sink wash the strands that are right by my face for second or third day. I also do a braid or updo to hide greasiness sometimes for my 3rd or 4th day. Maybe I shouldn't care so much, but my mom was always critical growing up about greasy hair.

RainbowBowser
January 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
I use dry shampoo but its never enough anyway. By the time I'm out I just don't care anymore.

arr
January 23rd, 2014, 05:33 PM
I wash my bangs and face framing pieces when my hair starts to get greasy looking. Then i put the rest of my hair in a bun so no one can tell what it looks like. Sometimes i even go around in public with a heavy oiling in my hair using this technique so i would have to say no it doesn't bother me.

Monkshood
January 23rd, 2014, 05:39 PM
I don't like going out with greasy bangs, but other than that, no. My hair is naturally on the dry side and the only part of it that gets noticeably greasy-looking, other than the bangs, is the scalp. With my hair up, you can't tell.

Lindseyh
January 23rd, 2014, 05:42 PM
I keep mine up or braided when it seems greasy. It kind of embarrasses me. Mines usually from heavy handed oiling.

Covet
January 23rd, 2014, 05:47 PM
My hair doesn't ever seem to get greasy but I do sometimes go out with an updo drenched in conditioner. Don't care lol.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 23rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
I keep mine up in a bun, greasy or not. If anyone asked me about it (which they never have) I would say it has conditioning product on it. Which of course it does, sometimes, it is oiled, or conditioned, sometimes natural oils. But whatever it is on it, it conditions and moisturises the hair, lol. I even go out after a heavy application of oil and it looks as it it is wet from swimming and put up in a bun.

divinedobbie
January 23rd, 2014, 05:51 PM
I actually ventured out for the first time today with 3-day-post-wash hair. It took me about two hours to get enough courage ;P. I did put it up in a bun and comb water through the first cm near my forehead so when I pin it back it hides most of the oily hair. I am very self conscious about it though since I normally wash every day and now I've been strecthing to every three.

The only time I don't care much if I have greasy hair is when I go to the gym.

Firefox7275
January 23rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't do it. I wash my hair or wear a hat if it is a very short errand in winter. Sorry but dirty hair is a hygiene issue, anyone working in the food or drink industry could tell you that. The vast majority of us touch our hair unconsciously sometimes.

I also can't see the point in having long hair if it looks gross half the time.

Ambystoma
January 23rd, 2014, 06:23 PM
Yes, I do, but I'm lucky because it takes a while for my hair to get really greasy looking, my scalp usually starts feeling icky a couple of days before that point so that's when I wash it - when it feels annoying, so every 3 or 4 days. On the odd occasion where it starts to look a little heavy and piecey at the roots I do DIY/cheapskate dry shampoo by massaging a little pure cornstarch through the roots, leaving it to sit for a few minutes, then brushing out. That makes it look better for one more day, but doesn't take care of the "gross scalp feel" so it's a real last resort. I think us people with dark hair are lucky in that regard - we can make natural oils look like an intentional "sleek and shiny" type product use a lot easier than our lighter haired friends :laugh:

Saryn Jumail
January 23rd, 2014, 06:42 PM
My hair doesn't ever seem to get greasy but I do sometimes go out with an updo drenched in conditioner. Don't care lol.

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

Weewah
January 23rd, 2014, 06:46 PM
I'll never wear my hair greasy for work, but if I need to run some errands and don't wanna wash my hair I'll put on what I like to call my burglar hat.

ravenheather
January 23rd, 2014, 06:52 PM
I don't like dirty hair. I will wo to stretch another day.

XcaliburGirl
January 23rd, 2014, 06:54 PM
I can't stand my hair being greasy. I wash daily, though, so it isn't an issue.

cat11
January 23rd, 2014, 07:05 PM
I don't like having greasy hair in public because i feel unpleasant whenenver I look in the mirror. Its like having food on your face, it makes me feel like I look dirty. I just use dry shampoo :) I used to selectively wash my bangs but I dont bother with that any more and it doesn't seem to be as bad now that Ive switched to a better more informed washing/conditioning method.

Rio040113
January 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
I care, because I feel like people assume I'm dirty or that I smell (that's probably made worse by the fact I have contamination based OCD), when in fact I shower 3-4 times a day, I just happen to only wash my hair every 2-3 days :shrug: I still do it anyway and go out with greasy hair if I need to, like if I have day 2 hair and need to run an errand, I'm not going to throw my wash schedule off just for the people of Asda :lol:

TrapperCreekD
January 23rd, 2014, 07:16 PM
It's usually up in a bun or braid anyway, and being curly, my length doesn't really get greasy. Depends on where I'm going - running errands, that sort of thing, I don't really care. If it's somewhere where I'll be engaged in conversation then I start to get self conscious and hope someone doesn't notice. I usually go for a french/dutch braid or "sleek" bun to hide the greasies. Also, I think you'd have to know me pretty well to know that the slightly duller color isn't what it looks like clean.

ravenreed
January 23rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't go out with greasy hair any more than I will go out with dirty clothes. On the rare occasion that I absolutely must, I wear a hat or scarf over it, but I feel badly the whole time.

mariakatija
January 23rd, 2014, 07:45 PM
I don't really care. I wear it up most of the time anyway.

turtlelover
January 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I can't handle being seen w/ greasy hair, probably because it grosses me out when I see it on other people!

Rushli
January 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Normally I would only go out with slightly greasy hair if I can hide it by wearing it up. I wash 2x a week and usually dont have an issue.

Magalo
January 23rd, 2014, 07:58 PM
If you can see that it's greasy, then it's too dirty to wear outside. It's called basic hygiene. :shrug:

spirals
January 23rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Mine doesn't get greasy. Well, 5 days after a wash it is. But I was every 2 or 3 days. I will go out with it oiled and up, but that looks different to me.

queenieheather
January 23rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Every time I tell someone its greasy theyre like " no it isn't!!" So I do go out with "greasy" hair. I'm now washing once a week or twice at the most. Day 3-4 Istart looking greasy. So I add some cornstarch and cocoa powder. I could probably go 2 weeks that way with braids. But not down. And I love washing my hair.

Islandgrrl
January 23rd, 2014, 09:00 PM
My hair never gets greasy looking. I've gone as much as three weeks without washing and it just looks....normal. I can't say ir feels nice, but it looks okay.

Hatsune Miku
January 23rd, 2014, 10:27 PM
I only wash my hair once a week, and unfortunately my hair gets greasy by the 3rd or 4th day. I just go out anyway. I feel kind of gross, but I'll usually make some kind of braid or bun that helps to cover it up :)

0xalis
January 23rd, 2014, 10:33 PM
I've seen many wavy/curly haired people in my city with "greasy" or oiled hair in public. It seems very normal for people with wavy/curly hair to go out with their hair oiled to me because of this. It actually makes me happy because they're taking care of their hair!

I don't care, tbh. My hair's almost always up, and when it's not I'm around people I know who really don't care.

HumanBean
January 23rd, 2014, 10:47 PM
I wash my hair only on weekends so it's always between 5-7 days. I've gone as long as 12 days on a few occasions (though I did wish my bangs halfway through each time and did dry shampoo on the front also). I don't think anyone notices when it's greasy, but what eventually happens is flakes/dandruff and they do notice that. So when I see those start to appear I know I am already overdue for a wash. I'll still go out if I have to, but yes I would feel self conscious about it until I got the chance to wash.

sally_neuf
January 23rd, 2014, 11:04 PM
urrrr not :) and sometimes I only wash once a week

I put it in a bun and you can't really tell, but either I wash my bangs of wear a circlet. (If I wear a braid it looks ridiculously oily!)

Selkie-
January 23rd, 2014, 11:17 PM
Yes, I do care. I wash about two or three times a week depending on how my hair looks. If it looks greasy, I wash it. :)

Avital88
January 23rd, 2014, 11:57 PM
No I wouldn't do that. I really don't see the positives in looking dirty for the sake of hair care.

LScott317
January 24th, 2014, 12:03 AM
I get really greasy by day 3! I usually wash every other day.

ErinLeigh
January 24th, 2014, 12:33 AM
I care. I try hard to get hair to look nice. Don't see the point in all my efforts if i am going to walk around greasy. I wash often so its never an issue, but i never go out with hair not styled and handled.
To the local drugstore or supermarket? Sure..
Work or with friends? Never

fraulein_doktor
January 24th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Yes, I need to feel/look clean at all times, even if I'm not leaving the house.

DancingQueen
January 24th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Yes, I care. I wash my hai every 3 to 4 days. The thing is, if my hair is too oily, I shed more hair - and I don't have that much hair to shed. Personally, I also like it better if it is not too oily. Other people seem to avoid me or question my hygiene if it is. I still shower every day though.

Bagginslover
January 24th, 2014, 02:23 AM
I wouldn't do it. I wash my hair or wear a hat if it is a very short errand in winter. Sorry but dirty hair is a hygiene issue, anyone working in the food or drink industry could tell you that. The vast majority of us touch our hair unconsciously sometimes.

Greasy doesn't neccisarily mean its dirty. Having worked in the food industry, I can tell you my employers couldn't care one hoot if it was greasy, the important thing was that it was totally covered up and contained. Natural oils aren't dirt.

I do go out with greasy hair. Its greasy right now. I washed on monday, and I won't wash again til either tomorrow or sunday, I am visably greasy from day 3. I always wear it up when greasy (and usually when not too), if anyone asks, I just explain the too frequent washing makes it worse, because it does!

sunrider_bby
January 24th, 2014, 02:24 AM
I care. Thankfully, I have dry skin and scalp, so it never gets gross. Just a little flat on the roots. Stretching washes was a nightmare though, because I was frequently told off by my sister and my mom. I just wear it up and comb it wit BBB so it looks like I have put some product in it. My braided buns look gorgeous. I wash once a week.

FoxyGhost
January 24th, 2014, 02:31 AM
I always go out with greasy hair because I am trying to stretch washes to once a week. I bun it when its greasy and nobody seems to notice. I can only think of one girl that I noticed that her hair was greasy and that was because it was a bob and every other time I saw her it was a stringy mess. I think people are worrying too much. If someones hair is slicked back and shiny I assume that it is either their natural hair texture or they have products in it to keep it from frizzing up.

restless
January 24th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Yeah I care and I wouldnt leave the house with greasy looking hair voluntarily. I dont care what other people do with their hair so this is not an insult to the people in this thread that says that they strech washes or anything. Its just that when it comes to my own hair I want it to look and feel clean all the time and thus I wash it daily. I love the feeling of freshly washed hair and wouldnt be able to strech washes (I dont even want to, I enjoy my nightly showers).

Last year during a job I had for a couple of months, I was sometimes working shifts that forced me to leave my hair unwashed for the next day (evening shift ending late --> morning shift that started very early) and I always felt terrible during the following dayshift. My hair was flat, piece-y looking and had lost its wave. Never again if I get to decide.

The only time I can put up with my hair being greasy is when I do deep treatments with oils a la coconut oil. But then I never do those when I know I have to leave the house again the same day so... the answer is still I wouldnt go out with it :p

Amayan
January 24th, 2014, 04:50 AM
I don't really care, but I couldn't go out without to some hairstyle in which my hair are " close fitting " my scalp, like ponytails or tight buns binding by a stick or a flexi 8.. My hair are dark so I don't have any difference of color between clean lengths and greasy roots :)

But I wash my bang every day if it need it !! I think having a pretty clean bang doesn't let people think my hair are greasing somewhere else :p

Lyv
January 24th, 2014, 05:03 AM
I could never go out if my hair is visibly greasy if it's a little oily then I don't mind as long as I can pin the front back at least. I can smell other peoples dirty hair if I'm close to them sometimes so I would be really uncomfortable out on the off chance that my hair smells. I somehow always end up behind the people that smell like dirty hair and stale cigarette smoke at the store :puke:
(I realize that the smell is probably all around lack of hygiene and am not at all saying greasy hair or stretching washes makes you stink lol)

Misschilly
January 24th, 2014, 05:22 AM
I don't really care..But there is a line to when it's "too dirty". I CO once a week and always were my hair up, braids and hairbands hide greasies, and I've got complimeted that my hair looks really shiny and stay in place well..although my hair do gets darker when it's not freshly washed.

pixldust
January 24th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I hate knowing that my hair looks greasy. I currently leave two days between washing and I hope to stretch more, because my hair seems much better for it. I used to wash everyday, out of habit I think more than anything, and I still sometimes get into the mindset of 'uuurgh, greasy hair!' which I need to stop doing. I use a little Batiste on the day before I wash but I don't want to become reliant on using it.

MissBubble
January 24th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I don't normally get greasy hair, and if I do is about day 5 so I wash it.
In case I can't, I am very conscious about it as I dont like it going in public. I also dont like people with greasy hair, even in buns I can tell.
So, I use dry shampoo, or just wash the hair that frames my face.

But almost always the problem is solved with a brush that removes oils from the greasy scalp to the drier lenghts and ends. My hair looks good and refresh doing that.

Covet
January 24th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you Saryn Jumail, yours looks impressively shiny :cheer:

hoopalou
January 24th, 2014, 06:45 AM
I wash my hair every second day. If I leave it any longer it gets greasy and flat. Why would anyone purposefully wear their hair greasy and flat when the solution is as simple as washing? One of the reasons I have long hair is because I enjoy it…. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if it felt greasy.

I alway notice other peoples hair too, and hate to see greasy hair.

jupiterinleo
January 24th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I'm stretching washes, so I'm in a greasy bun Friday and Saturday until my Saturday wash. I only care if I were to go to school (not in school currently). I'm okay with doing errands with greasy hair, 'cause I live in a small city and really never see the same person twice. In that sense I don't care all that much. But if I were currently a student, I wouldn't wanna be around the same people every week with greasy hair.

jacqueline101
January 24th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I wear mine up and ignore people if they'd ask a dumb question about my hair being oily. I think up dos prevent that.

truepeacenik
January 24th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I'm currently washing the night before or morning of work. That's three times, and I could skip one. Twice a week with shampoo/bar or CO is a good pattern.
By the time my hair looks weighed down, I can smell sebum, and I can't have that. I work closely with people in a scent free space.

I will go out with bunned wet or oiled hair. It looks like gel with a heavy hand at worst.

Food for thought, I had a lovely client who obviously had showered and washed her hair within 24 hours. But her natural sebum scent was fecal-like. With a rotting fruit edge.
And it was a craniosacral appointment, so I was right there for most of the two hour appointment.
Clean can still be odd smelling, based on the individuals chemistry. My best guess is that she's on a detox regimen.
Seems more than half our clients are right now. Come on, March.

LadyCelestina
January 24th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Yes and no.I am one of the people who don't feel relaxed or productive or simply good when sweaty or oily,even if alone.There is a line between hair that is still comfortably greasy and hair that is too greasy.When it is too greasy for me to be comfortable,I wash it,until then I'm okay with it even,in public or alone.

spidermom
January 24th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Yes; it bothers me a great deal, even when I notice it on someone else's head. Hair is just one of those things my eyes naturally rest on and evaluate. I don't see what they're wearing, I don't see shoes, I don't see makeup; I see the hair.

Well, I might notice clothes or shoes or makeup if there is something unusual or visually stunning.

NativeSparrow
January 24th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I wash mine every 4 days or so. But I shower & condition my hair every day. I am a hardcore exerciser & there is NO WAY I could get away with not rinsisng my hair!! Well I probably could get away with it but I wouldn't want to! I ususally get super sweaty (to the point my hair is damp / wet). So I pretty much have to do the conditioner rinse. But I stretch it as far as I can with the shampoo ... I proabably buy 20 bottles of conditioner to every 1 bottle of shampoo!! But even with the conditioner rinse I still put my hair up in a bun on the last day or two. if I dont have anything much going on I'll stretch it longer, or if I have a date or special occasion ill go ahead & wash it if its questionable. But mine doesn't really get "greasy"

ETA: longhairdesired:" it gets better. when you dont wash it as often ... you don't NEED to wash it as often :)

firefox7275: I totally agree!! Whats the point of having beautiful hair if its not ... well beautiful?

melusine963
January 24th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I definitely care, and I try not to go out on wash day. I get annoyed when my husband springs an unexpected engagement on me on those days. Luckily, my hair is fine on days 1-5, passable on day 6, and only really bad on day 7.

endlessly
January 24th, 2014, 10:47 AM
For me, it honestly depends. I tend to wear my hair covered mostly when I'm in public, so people don't tend to get a good look of what my hair looks like. If I've done heavy oiling, it will be a bit noticeable in the front and I've had comments then, but my response is normally to tell them I've just oiled my hair and they're generally more interested in that than why it looks greasy.

Chromis
January 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM
My hair doesn't get greasy. The only way to make it look greasy is if I use a *lot* of oil or oil when damp. That is pretty easy to avoid. I wash once a week most of the year, sometimes twice. I've come back from camping and canoeing trips after having not washed for two or three weeks with only time for a quick shower (not even wetting my hair) before a party or gathering and have had people wanting to pet my hair because it looks so soft. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be asking to pet it if it looked greasy or smelled bad! Plus my friends are blunt enough to tell me that sort of thing :lol:

schnibbles
January 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM
eh... I'm not really down with hair that looks greasy. I have an aversion to my own sebum smell...well, and other people's also. I wash every other day. I can go 3 days but that's pushing it for me. I say if your hair doesn't need washed though, don't wash it!

Carolyn
January 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Most of the time yes I do care. If it's Sunday morning and I'm going to McDonalds and Walmart, then no I don't care much. You'll see me wearing my flannel jammie pants and a baggy sweatshirt with my greased back bun. There are degrees of greasiness. There is second day hair that can be pulled back in a pony or bun. I can even do that on the 3rd day if I'm not itching too much and also depending on where I am going. If, for example, I am going out to lunch with friends then yes I will wash and condition and maybe even wear it down. If I am going to the grocery store and running errands, I will be OK with it in a bun or ponytail. I would never ever for any reason wear my hair down if it wasn't washed that morning. Blonde hair like mine shows greasiness and pieciness really fast. I think it looks awful so no I wouldn't go out in public like that. The oilier my hair is, the itchier my scalp can be. I really don't want to be walking about and scratching at my scalp all the time.

ositarosita
January 24th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Nope, I go to the gym with heavy oilings. Frankly those people who see me with greasey hair I will more than likely never see again.

sarahthegemini
January 24th, 2014, 11:35 AM
There's nothing I hate more than having greasy hair in public (even at home I can't stand it) My hair sometimes likes to be unpredictable in regards to when it gets oily so it isn't always avoidable, but generally speaking, if I have greasy hair I spray the roots with Batiste and wear a side braid. My hair looks fresh and clean and feels fresh and clean.

patienceneeded
January 24th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't wear my hair down if I felt it looked greasy. I will wear my hair up if it's a bit greasy though. I wash every 3-4 days. Days 1 and 2 are my "wear my hair down if I want to" days. Days 3-4 I have to wear it up or I'm not comfortable with how it looks. Day 4 is pretty greasy. I don't always make it to day 4...I also start to get itchy scalp if I wait too long to wash it.

LaFlor
January 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM
If you run into me in public, chances are I will have greasy hair. I always wear it up though, at least to give the illusion that it's slicked back with product.
My hair gets greasy really fast, and I don't have the time or energy to wash it as often anymore.

ETA: I also go out with heavy oilings as well (worn up in a bun).

halfbroke
January 24th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I always wear my hair up in public. So if it is greasy then i will just brush it with a BBB to smooth it out and wear it in a bun. So no i dont care if it is greasy in public.

AmyBeth
January 24th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I have no shame when it comes to my hair. I stretch my washes and I also oil it frequently. I deep condition overnight and if I have to go out, then so be it. I don't consider it gross and dirty, I consider it pampered.I wear it up neatly, so it's not really an overt kind of mess, even when it is heavily oiled. If I were not self-employed I might have to up my game a little, as far as the presentation goes.

cathair
January 24th, 2014, 12:25 PM
If my hair is up I couldn't care less. So long as it isn't clumping so much you can see scalp, stuck to my head or uncomfortably dirty.

I did an experiment last year, I didn't wash my hair for 8 days and took photos every day to determine when it started to look greasy and how greasy it could get. After 8 days, you can see when my hair when it was up, didn't look very different. In fact, my hair looks pants when it is up on day 1 and 2, because it's fluffy and bits fall out of buns all over the place. I also have to remake them frequently, because they don't hold well enough without being very tight. Buns look much better after day two.

Pictures here if any one is curious [won't add them in this comment as they are wide and will break the page layout. Also please excuse unskilled buns, I have improved since last year]:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4699&d=1370228893

However, when it was down could easily see it was greasy by day 3 and by day 8 it looks and felt horrendous and was greasy down to my shoulders [unsurprisingly].

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4701&d=1370228964

I also learned during this time that using a BBB will make my hair look greasier than anything else known to man kind, because it smooths it all out and stuck it to my head. The experiment would have been a bit better if I had stuck to one method of detangling and not tried to use a BBB to spread oils.

From this I learned that I shouldn't wear my hair down after day 2. However when it is greasy - very greasy, it doesn't seem to matter when it is in a bun. I tend to wash around day 4 now.

ellenajordans
January 24th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I wash my hair every 3 days, on the 3rd day it doesn't look greasy but it does look slightly limp at the front when I wear it down, so it's normally in a ponytail. I'm thinking of buying some dry shampoo for those days though.

oatmealpie
January 24th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Normally my hair doesn't get that greasy because I wash it every 2-3 days. Today, however, I have it up in a french braid and used a little too much coconut oil to smooth down the fly-aways, so it looks greasy. I'm a little self-conscious about it, yeah.

queenieheather
January 24th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Cathair that was such a great idea to take pics like that. Thanks for sharing :)

NoRush
January 24th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I don't really go past 3rd day hair without some sort of help from a dry shampoo and even then after the 2nd day it's up, nicely braided, a tight dutch braid bunned is my go to style for greasy days.

sachaa
January 24th, 2014, 03:20 PM
people who say that washing greasy hair is basic hygiene : Sebum isn't a dirty thing, it just doesn't look very glamour !

I wash once a week, and get just a bit greasy by day 3 but it's ok, then on day 4 (and occasionally 5) I use dry shampoo, and then my hair isn't greasy anymore on day 6 and 7, but i wash because of the dry shampoo residue
I usually don't care if i put it up in a bun, my friends don't care and i don't care about people's opinion too much
But it's different with my boyfriend, i have this problem that i want to look as good as possible when i'm around him all the time, so i usually wash more often when he's here (but we're in an LDR so it's not that often)

Monkshood
January 24th, 2014, 03:20 PM
What does sebum generally smell like? I honestly have no idea. The only time I think my hair smells bad is when I've been around smokers. I also can't smell other people's hair unless I get really close to them. Maybe my sense of smell is just weak?

shutterpillar
January 24th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I don't go out in public with greasy hair. I try my very hardest not to, but if there is an emergency and I end up having to go out then I will put a hat on first.

If my hair is getting too oily, I wash it. :shrug: If I have greasy hair I just feel... grimy. I can't do it. I want to be able to enjoy my long hair and I don't enjoy it when it's noticeably covered in sebum.

HairFaerie
January 24th, 2014, 03:31 PM
If it's just a little bit and it makes my hair look shiny, I will go out like that. If my hair is starting to separate, then no...I won't go out like that or I would put on a hat or something.

NativeSparrow
January 24th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Maybe try condtioning in place of shampoo in between your washes? Since I run for about an hour each morning I full shower daily is a MUST. I use conditioner twice in stead of shampoo & only shampoo like once every 4 or 5 days, & then I only shampoo my scalp. I almost never shampoo all of my hair - even when I do oil treatments - my hair just seems to soak it up! For me it works really well, but, my hair doesnt get greasy easily. Also I noticed that once I started shampooing my hair less frequently I didnt NEED to shampoo it as often. So, I keep building up to be able to go longer & longer between shampoos.

Chiquita Banana
January 24th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I pretty much always wear my hair up or in a braid of some sort - it doesn't start to get greasy at the roots until day 3 or 4. I have no problem going out in public if it's a bit greasy as I can hide it with an up-do or by wearing a scarf or wrap on my head. It's not dirty though and no one can notice because it's how I always wear my hair anyway.

velorutionista
January 24th, 2014, 05:01 PM
For me, it depends on the "public" and the level of grease. I will totally run errands, work out, etc. with any type of greasy hair (though it will be up in a braid or bun to be out of the way). I won't go to work or family functions or hang out with friends with really greasy hair, though. Moderately greasy hair (where you can't tell it's greasy once it's put up?)...sure.

Bedhead
January 24th, 2014, 05:38 PM
When I first began NW/SO I was totally self-conscious of the sebum in my hair, it got pretty slick, but as time went on, I transitioned and it became less sebum-rich, I went through a major mental transition as well with what hair should look like, and now I'm fine, although my hair is far from greasy at this point (2 years later). I actually think shampooed hair looks fragile now.

molljo
January 24th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I think it depends on your definition of greasy? I wash my hair when it starts looking bad, which right now is at every five days. My bangs suffer the worst in terms of looking gross the quickest, but if I lace braid them they look really cute. In fact, I always need a little grime to make braids, it's way easier to do and looks better. So basically, to me there's a "greasy sweet spot" between clean and dirty when I can get nice, manageable braids.

Wildcat Diva
January 24th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I will totally go out in public with 6-7 day hair in a bun. It doesn't even look that bad. I won't even call it greasy. Usually by this time I have added varying degrees of coconut oil to the length, and it's starting to morph into some level of pre-oil. If it gets a bit worse than this and I need to wait to wash (rare), I'll add a paranda, which looks fantastic. Pretty much any level of oil on hair that is bunned on me just looks to me like wet hair or product. Usually my encounters with others are brief, so I am not even worried about it. If I have something important to do or I need to look my best, then I will wash. But this is rare. I usually time my important stuff with wash day or add a wash day in if I need to.

Bedhead
January 24th, 2014, 05:54 PM
What does sebum generally smell like? I honestly have no idea. The only time I think my hair smells bad is when I've been around smokers. I also can't smell other people's hair unless I get really close to them. Maybe my sense of smell is just weak?

This depends on the person, their genetics, diet, activity level etc.. Some people's sebum, makes their hair smell like "hair", or merin wool, whereas others get a waxy sour smell to their hair, or the smell of wet dog? Over the years my sebum smell has changed. I find the less I wash it, yet clean it, and the cleaner my diet, the more clean the smell. Shampoo covers up a lot, a lot of messages from your body. Hope that helps!

Chromis
January 24th, 2014, 05:58 PM

This confuses me too. I've certainly smelled some people that had a "body funk", but I don't exactly get close enough to them to see if they also have hair odor and if it is any different.

Hair just smells like hair to me. It is pretty neutral.

Scarlet_Heart
January 24th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I don't go out in public with greasy hair. I try my very hardest not to, but if there is an emergency and I end up having to go out then I will put a hat on first.

If my hair is getting too oily, I wash it. :shrug: If I have greasy hair I just feel... grimy. I can't do it. I want to be able to enjoy my long hair and I don't enjoy it when it's noticeably covered in sebum.

This is how I am too. I wash it when it starts to feel oily. I don't have a set amount of days to wash it. But I tend to wash my hair every other day because if I don't, I shed a lot more. I get follicle clog related shedding really easily. So I wash with the shampoo du jour, and NO conditioner (especially on my scalp). I oil the length so it doesn't get dry.

But to answer the original question, no I don't like to go out with oily hair. But I'm one of those nuts who doesn't leave the house without makeup on.

CurlyCap
January 24th, 2014, 08:00 PM
My hair is curly, and therefore always dry. It wouldn't get greasy if I didn't wash it for a year! But I also tend to go out with a ton of product in my hair. I don't care.

Thing is, I also don't recognize the appearance of "greasy". To me, greasy=shiny....which is a good thing where I come from. However, I don't like greasy=clumpy (in hair that shouldn't be clumpy) or greasy=smelly. Especially smelly. Clumpy hair is their personal style decision, but smelly hair impacts me. To me, some people's sebum is as strong a body odor as their armpits.

So I only comment if a person's greasy hair is starting to smell. YMMV.

MissHoney
January 24th, 2014, 09:35 PM
YES.. I don't have a very good sense of smell, but I DEFINITELY notice when I smell somebody's scalp... I could just be walking or sitting behind them, like when you smell somebody's shampoo. My own hair is way too oily, and definitely smells after a couple of days. Even if I have to rub my fingers through my hair to smell it, if I do smell it I have to wash.

hairpleasegrow
January 24th, 2014, 09:41 PM
i have a hard time just washing every other day. i love wash days. i want to feel clean. when i dont wash my hair i just feel a bit yucky ....thats just the way it is though and thats what i need to do to grow my hair out. i dont mind the way it looks. i dont care when i see other people with slightly greasy hair either :)

SleepyTangles
January 25th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I do, but not to the extent to crucify my hair for that ;)!
My hair is naturally on the greasy side - my second day is worse than some people 3rd or 4th, arguably, expecially if I currently live in an area full of smog, with humid weather and hard water...

Proven that I can't keep my roots looking perfect without drying my ends to the core and turning my waves into meaningless frizz, I gladly sacrifice perfection for keeping my hair more beautiful overall.
I wash on second day evening with mild products that don't irritate my scalp and are gentle on my waves, but I keep my bangs freshly washed because its a simple way to keep your hair looking nice without damaging it.
Hardly un-hygienic :p, despite how my roots may look: I definitively echo whoever said greasy and dirty aren't the same.

Most people with greasy hair wash and shower more frequently than the average, in my experience. And this is part of the problem, because taking it too far like washing everyday makes the sebum production go crazy... I really wish to have been there for the teen me, that wondered why my hair looked so crappy even if I washed everyday, I would have spared myself many horrific years :(!
I am really not inclined to judge the washing habits of people by their hair alone

Stray_mind
January 25th, 2014, 05:37 AM
No i don't care. I know that the oil my scalp produces is good for my hair. It also protects the skin from infection and all kinds of funghi. I wash my hair every four days, but my hair starts looking greasy by the roots on the third day, so i put it up in a bun and it looks like i have some product in my hair. Washing too often dries my scalp out and i get lots of dandruff and dandruff is the thing that grosses me out much more than oily hair.

mindwiped
January 25th, 2014, 07:02 AM

The easiest way I can explain it: Have you ever had a small child climb up in your lap and notice a 'whiffy' smell? Not BO/dirty diaper, but unwashed hair. If you sniff their scalp the odor is there, and not, for example on the skin of their navel. I did a lot of childcare, and I could tell which parents were washing everything every day, washing their kiddo's body, but not washing or only rinsing their hair, and not bathing at all or only using a washcloth on their genitals. As long as the kid was clean, the hair smell isn't bad, especially when they are young enough that BO/puberty sweat smell isn't an issue, but it's there, and if you've managed to consciously notice it, you can smell it on yourself and others. I first noticed it on a naturally curly little girl, and eventually ended up close enough with Mom, that I could just ask. She was the start of my education on naturally curly hair care, which is sad with the amount of curl I've determined I've got. My mom's hair is fine and straight, and her mom kept her hair really really short so she could keep her curl tamed. Plus Grandma had cancer, and was hair optional the last 5 years of her life, and after that was when my curl really needed the advice.

LadyCelestina
January 25th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Everybody probably smells something different,but to me,sebum smells sweet,earthy and the smell is not sharp like sweat,it's soft,smell of a banana compared to lemon.And it is not an :tmi: erotic smell,not that it stinks but I can't imagine being turned on by sebum.
I'd compare it to ear wax,if you can smell ear wax.

ravenreed
January 25th, 2014, 08:52 AM
If you have ever smelled someone's hat when they take it off is what hair smells like. It isn't necessarily awful like BO, but it can be very strong, nonetheless. When I was shampooing regularly my scalp had more of a strong aroma by the end of the day, as well as being oily at that point. Now that I CO the odor takes longer to appear but my hair is still oily by day two so I go ahead and wash it. I don't understand the wearing hair up when it's oily argument. It still looks oily to me, not like product. I remember the days of hair gel and oiyl doesn't look like that. Plus, I must be the only person in the world whose hair looks MORE oily when I wear it up than down. *shrug*

JellyBene
January 25th, 2014, 09:40 AM
It depends on where I'm going. If I'm just running errands I'll typically let it be dirty but not if I'm going to work or seeing friends. I definitely feel more confident and just overall better if my hair is clean though.

vanillabones
January 25th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I care quite a lot if my hair is greasy, however I'm too lazy to do anything about it. I'll go anywhere besides work with greasy hair. I don't feel good about it but it's my business when my hair gets washed. If someone said anything about it it wouldn't bother me because trust me I know when I'm greasy long before anyone else would notice.

Monkshood
January 26th, 2014, 12:47 AM
If you have ever smelled someone's hat when they take it off is what hair smells like. It isn't necessarily awful like BO, but it can be very strong, nonetheless. When I was shampooing regularly my scalp had more of a strong aroma by the end of the day, as well as being oily at that point. Now that I CO the odor takes longer to appear but my hair is still oily by day two so I go ahead and wash it. I don't understand the wearing hair up when it's oily argument. It still looks oily to me, not like product. I remember the days of hair gel and oiyl doesn't look like that. Plus, I must be the only person in the world whose hair looks MORE oily when I wear it up than down. *shrug*

I just went and smelled my boyfriend's hat. There is a faint smell, sure, but it's nothing I would deem unpleasant. It just smells like his scalp. Pretty neutral... and dude doesn't exactly wash his hair as often as he should. I definitely would not be able to notice it if I were, say, just standing next to him in a public space. Like Chromis said on another page, I can't distinguish between different types of "body funk" from a distance. People either smell clean or unclean to me. I can't imagine how the smell of one's soap (or deodorant or perfume) wouldn't overpower that of scalp sebum if one practices daily hygiene?

Majormiles
January 26th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I wash my hair every other day, I can't stand going any longer as it feels dirty, but for some this isnt an issue as they don't produce so much oil. On the wash day, so when my hair is greasiest, I just bun it and to be fair it doesn't look too bad.

martyna_22
January 26th, 2014, 04:08 AM
When it's only slightly greasy, only a bit near the roots, I try to braid my hair the way it looks fresh. Unless I can do it, I won't go out with greasy hair in public. I'm quite self-conscious, so it wouldn't serve me well.

MaryO
January 26th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Oh dear no. I sometimes think my hair will still be clean for the day and then by the afternoon I see it's getting oily and it makes me very uncomfortable. It makes the rest of me feel dirty as well and While I'm very far from a clean freak I just don't want to go there. Rather just wash it- it's less trouble to me than feeling as if I look unkept and dirty...

Soltimus
January 26th, 2014, 04:16 AM
I'm trying to stretch washes and currently I wash it every 3 days. On day three it DOES look kind of funky so after work I will wear my hair up in a bun to hide the greasiness. I don't shower or wash hair in the morning before work as I work in a kitchen as a dinner lady which means you get super hot and sometimes a bit sweaty.

Sofialu
January 26th, 2014, 04:26 AM
My hair is very oily as is my skin so to keep my skin as clear as possible I do keep my hair washed every other day - it doesn't need a daily wash so long as I don't play about and touch it too much, but yes it does bother me if it looks greasy and if for some reason I can't wash it when I need to then I'll put it up to try and disguise it and keep it off my face

EmmAutumn
January 26th, 2014, 04:45 AM
It bothers me a lot when i have noticable greasy hair in public, so on day 3-4 i use some dry shampoo and wear it up. I could stretch it for more days that way, but i don't want to pile the dry shampoo on my head.

ravenreed
January 26th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I must be a super-smeller or something... actually that makes sense because I can smell things that the rest of my family cannot. Like I said, it isn't necessarily a bad smell, although it can be. The soap smell wears off pretty quickly, which is a blessing to me because I am scent sensitive.

I just went and smelled my boyfriend's hat. There is a faint smell, sure, but it's nothing I would deem unpleasant. It just smells like his scalp. Pretty neutral... and dude doesn't exactly wash his hair as often as he should. I definitely would not be able to notice it if I were, say, just standing next to him in a public space. Like Chromis said on another page, I can't distinguish between different types of "body funk" from a distance. People either smell clean or unclean to me. I can't imagine how the smell of one's soap (or deodorant or perfume) wouldn't overpower that of scalp sebum if one practices daily hygiene?

Chromis
January 26th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I just sniffed my own hats and had my husband do so too. They just smell like wool to us. One still smells a bit of lanolin, which is rather lovely. You can guess what my hats are made of :lol:

His doesn't smell of anything really. (His pillows on the other hand have to be replace because ewwwwww! but I think that is sweat and drool more than anything else)

AspenSong
January 26th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I'm not super concerned. Usually my "greasy" look is because I've got oil in it and it's in a bun anyway. I make sure it's fluffy and clean and nice for certain days or whatnot, but if it's just another day and I'm not out a lot...not bothered by it or what anyone thinks. :)

PixieKitten
January 26th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Eh, greasy day is hat day for me. I have well over 20 hats so I've never hit the problem of 'But it doesn't match what I'm wearing today!'
Hats are good.

alexis917
January 26th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Somewhat! Whenever it's oiled/greasy it's up or braided, which conceals it. I've gotten compliments on how shiny my buns are (HA) and I'm just like...wow, thanks! They're dirty! :o

Tia2010
January 26th, 2014, 04:36 PM
My hair takes forever to get greasy, but I would have no problem throwing it in a bun /braid if I had to run an errand and it was looking less than stellar lol.

ladylowtide
January 26th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I wash between 1-2 a week. If my hair doesn't smell weird, or the greasiness is limited to the top half inch I will go out in a bun or ponytail. I don't mind other people's visibly greasy hair if it doesn't smell and is contained.

Migranny
January 26th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I cover with a big ugly hat!

henné
January 26th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I dislike greasy hair - the pieciness of it. I hate it on myself - absolutely ABHOR it, to be honest. I oil my hair only at night - sleep with oil in - and wash it out first thing in the morning.

Can you imagine how I SUFFERED when I tried stretching my washes? It was no small feat, I tell ya, it was harsh :D I went from 3-4 washes per week to 1-2.

durgidog
January 26th, 2014, 06:25 PM
I can go over a week without washing and not get greasy, but I do occasionally go out with my hair oiled and up in a bun.

RileyJane
February 5th, 2014, 05:34 PM
It rarely happens to me now. Once my hair got used to being washed once or twice a week, it became less n less greasy andmindyou I have greasy hair. When it does look greasy, I just do multiple headbands or wear a beanie:)

milque
February 5th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I do care somewhat, but I put my hair up in a bun and that makes the greasiness less noticeable. No one has ever commented besides the DBF, and even then he only said it's greasy after touching it.

Tini'sNewHair
February 5th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I don’t care seriously, ive been having hair issues for so long and only now that I found this site my problems are starting to fade away. So take greasy hair for example, I used to have to wash every single day and even then, by the end of the day my hair was starting to itch and get greasy but fast forward to now and Im getting close to only washing once a week!!! I switched to a cone free shampoo, I add coconut oil to my ends, I bun a LOT and although my hair only has a very slight smell I add perfume to it anyway. If a person dosnt like me the way I am then they aren’t worth my time of day and they have no idea and understand of hair care either.

cathair Your photos are very intresting and such an inspiration, thank you, i might give it a go to :)

Loviatar
February 6th, 2014, 12:43 AM
If it's oily I wash it or wear a hat.

If it's oiled, however, I don't care and will go out in public.

To me the difference is whether the oil is 'dirty' (unwashed hair) or 'clean' (deliberately applied from my coconut oil jar). My oiled hair smells nice and looks deliberately sleek; I dislike the look of unwashed hair on me, it looks 'piecey'.

ETA if it's oiled mind you I have to keep it up or back. It's too short to go up ATM. But oiled hair around my face drives me insane.

Jumper
February 6th, 2014, 01:00 AM
My hair rarely if ever looks greasy... If I go without washing for long enough it will look straighter and my hair will be a lot less frizzy but its not actually shiny or dirty/greasy looking.

I don't go that long between washes usually but when I do my hair seems more moisturized and less frizzy even after washing it, I always just assumed that natural oil was helping me out.

I'm also in the midst of messing around with my hair routine (I guess you could say lack of routine, trying to create one) so anything I say can be taken with a grain of salt. For all I know my scalp will change along this journey. It might be nice if it wasn't so dry but I'm also cool with it not producing a lot of oil.

inanna
February 6th, 2014, 01:06 AM
I'm stretching washes, and unfortunately part of that includes just dealing with having greasy hair on some days. I oil the ends to even the look out a bit, put it up in a bun or braid, try to make it fairly presentable and hope the sight of me doesn't ruin anyone's day. ;)

As for the sebum smell, I can definitely smell it on myself if I'm sitting at home scritching or preening. I take a shower each morning and take extra care to wash behind my ears, because that's where most of the funk seems to come from. If I do that and my hair is contained, I can't smell a thing and I hope others can't either!

If the greasies don't let up after some months, I'll probably have to re-evaluate my wash schedule, since I don't exactly enjoy going out with greasy hair.

Sofialu
February 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM
I don’t care seriously, ive been having hair issues for so long and only now that I found this site my problems are starting to fade away. So take greasy hair for example, I used to have to wash every single day and even then, by the end of the day my hair was starting to itch and get greasy but fast forward to now and Im getting close to only washing once a week!!! I switched to a cone free shampoo, I add coconut oil to my ends, I bun a LOT and although my hair only has a very slight smell I add perfume to it anyway. If a person dosnt like me the way I am then they aren’t worth my time of day and they have no idea and understand of hair care either.

cathair Your photos are very intresting and such an inspiration, thank you, i might give it a go to :)

Can I ask, what is a cone free shampoo or what are cones? I've seen them mentioned a lot on here but I've no idea what they might be. Thanks.

slynr
February 6th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Silicone:) Its an ingredient that coats the hair. Some people love them many people here avoid them. Great for masking previous damage and providing slip. I've gone cone free but this winter started to use a little coney serum on my ends and have been pleased with the results. You do have to watch for buildup if you are using very gentle shampoo and clarify as needed.
I'm sure others will contribute a more detailed response, but that is the simplified explanation.

see_turtle
February 6th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I hate my hair when it isn't freshly washed. Thus, I wash daily...sometimes I'm too committed to sleeping in so I use dry shampoo but I still think it looks bad.

Nedertane
February 6th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Depends what kind of public. If I'm just going to the drugstore for 5 minutes, or I only have one class in a day to go to, then I absolutely won't care. But if I have to go to work (where I do need to look nice in particular), or I have multiple classes or volunteer work, then yeah, I'll feel more self-conscious about it. But if I can pull it up to hide the greasiness, then I eventually ignore it.

Also, not to thread hijack, but for anyone who uses a moisturizer, do you feel that if you don't apply your moisturizer, your hair looks/feels greasier? It happens to me if I don't apply it, or don't apply enough of it, it seems.

Suze2012
February 6th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I can't stand when my hair is greasy.
Even at festivals such as Glastonbury where you couldn't shower (unless you were willing to spend 5 hours in a queue!) I would wash my hair in cold water every day-it makes me feel human again.

I was in a shop the other weekend and was about to be served by a guy who I could smell from 4ft away.
I stopped in my tracks as I was retching and put all that I was about to buy back on the shelves...

BlueMajorelle
February 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Depends on the situation. If I'm at the gym, running quick errands, out doing yardwork, I could care less.

But if I'm working, out with friends or family, etc then it has to be clean.

I only wash my hair twice a week during the winter or else it gets super dry and itchy, though I do shower daily (shower caps ftw!).

RubyTuesday
February 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I mind. The look of greasy hair is very unpleasant. I would pop to the shops for a pint of milk but I would not go to work or out socialising with greasy hair. Never in a million years.

Achlys
February 6th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I do care. Scalp showing through stringy roots makes me very concious of my hair. Brushing it sleek doesn't help in my case. I'd rather go out with my hair damp. My hair dries quite fast, so I usually just do a quick wash.

Cania
February 6th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Depends on how greasy we are talking. I used to be a total neat freak about my hair and it had to be bone dry. These days I don't mind it after two or three days as long as it is up - I am trying to stretch my washes.

When I think it looks bad I brush arrowroot through it :)

LauraLongLocks
February 6th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I am embarrassed by the end of the second day, even just to go shopping. I usually do some sort of wash at least every other day, be it CO-washing, scalp-only shampooing, or a full CWC. I have tried dry shampoo, and it makes me look like I still have greasy hair, but even duller than before, and maybe like it has dandruff flakes. Not pretty at all.

Today is 2nd day hair, and it looks pretty clean still, but by tomorrow morning, I will really be ready for a wash.

G1ll
February 6th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Only if my hair is down. My hair only gets greasy if I wear it down and straighten in... Which I don't anymore lol. But if it's up I don't mind because it's not noticeable then.

Errant
February 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM

This pretty much sums it up for me.

meteor
February 6th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I used to, but then I realized that it's all in my head, as my hair looks better with a bit of sebum or oil in it.
My hair is dry and thick, so it takes a long time to start looking greasy. My worst hair days are the first 2 or 3 days after a wash, when it's flyaway and holds no style, and it really looks better oiled (I get more hair compliments).

Often freshly washed hair with gel/mousse or other leave-in product in it looks dirtier than clarified hair that hasn't been washed in 5 days but has no product in it.

Sofialu
February 6th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Silicone:) Its an ingredient that coats the hair. Some people love them many people here avoid them. Great for masking previous damage and providing slip. I've gone cone free but this winter started to use a little coney serum on my ends and have been pleased with the results. You do have to watch for buildup if you are using very gentle shampoo and clarify as needed.
I'm sure others will contribute a more detailed response, but that is the simplified explanation.

Thank you Slynr, I had no idea! I'm just thinking that with my hair being so oily it might be because my shampoo has that ingredient n it, I use head & shoulders.

Neptune
February 6th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I wash mine 1x per week, and i don't get embarrassed in between ... but then, it doesn't get super oily either (and i don't use mousse or any other products, which helps). However, I *always* wash my hair before date night :) So that's generally the one night each week that it gets washed, haha!

maybeinthemtns
February 6th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I don't let my hair get too greasy, but a little bit doesn't bother me. My hair only gets noticeably greasy for about a half-inch or less, right along my hair line - it's usually not my whole head. And even that doesn't start happening for about five days after I wash it. It's just the little wispies in front that get sort of oily looking, so I usually just wear a broad headband, or a hat. I don't think I'd be comfortable going out with a lot of oil in my hair, but I've run errands with a bit of oil in my braid before, enough for it to be noticeable, and it didn't bother me much. I hate the way my hair feels when it's dirty, and that does gross me out, but when I know my hair is actually clean and it just appears dirty, I don't care much at all. It's more the feeling than the look. As far as greasy hair on other people - I'm pretty indifferent to that, too. I'm more grossed out by dirty-looking hair than greasy hair, if that makes sense? It's sort of hard to explain the difference, but I feel like it looks different when someone's hair is greasy from natural hair-oils and stuff, which is just how hair is sometimes, compared to when it is greasy due to persistent uncleanliness. But obviously I don't know this for sure, since I don't know most irl-people's hair routines, haha.

ashke50
February 7th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I do - and it frustrates me how quickly it does so. Wearing it up actually makes it more obvious for me, because all you can see is the greasy bit at the top sticking to my scalp, and not the nice fluffy clean length!

RubyTuesday
February 7th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I do - and it frustrates me how quickly it does so. Wearing it up actually makes it more obvious for me, because all you can see is the greasy bit at the top sticking to my scalp, and not the nice fluffy clean length!

Just wanted to say - your hair in the May 2011 shot is so beautiful :love:. That is all :o

insilentharmony
February 7th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I care very much if my hair is greasy in public. I feel kind of gross when my hair is greasy so it makes me feel better (and cleaner) if I just shower before I go out.

Tifie
February 7th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I don't care at home, but generally I don't wait too long with washing. My skin starts itching after around 4-5 days without cleaning (lucky me has friendly hair which looks fluffy even after some days). If I can hide some greasiness in a nice hairstyle (so that you really can't see anything) I'm also fine but as soon as it looks bad, I wash

ashke50
February 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Just wanted to say - your hair in the May 2011 shot is so beautiful :love:. That is all :o
Thank you! :)

tee11
February 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Agreed!

But yeah, for me, I won't go out (other than to run errands) if my hair is noticeably greasy. If it's noticeably greasy and I just have to run to the store quickly or something like that, I'll just throw on a hat. If I'm going somewhere that I expect to see people I know, I always need to wash and style my hair - just my personal preference.

LadyLongLocks
February 8th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I care so I use dry shampoo. My hair gets darker when its oily. The dry shampoo, Bastiste, is really good. It also helps if I use a fine tooth comb on the top it after its in a bun.Sometimes I wear headbands to distract from oily hair, but my husband hates them.

Johannah
February 8th, 2014, 05:20 AM
I do care, so I use dry shampoo.

LauraLongLocks
February 8th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I care so I use dry shampoo. My hair gets darker when its oily. The dry shampoo, Bastiste, is really good. It also helps if I use a fine tooth comb on the top it after its in a bun.Sometimes I wear headbands to distract from oily hair, but my husband hates them.

I'm glad to see another vote for batiste dry shampoo. I saw a dark-haired person on Youtube recommend it, because they have a dark one that doesn't show up in dark hair as white or dull gray. I tried using suave dry shampoo, and it looks really bad in my hair. I'm going to seek out this batiste brand for dark hair and see if it works better for me.

I find headbands to be terribly uncomfortable behind my ears, especially if I am wearing my glasses. With bangs, I am washing them in the sink every day if I'm not washing my whole head or doing a scalp wash (see my youtube tutorial on scalp washing without getting your length wet). I'm going to be growing the bangs out, after two and a half years of loving them (the love affair has ended, ha!), so soon I will be using headbands to keep them out of my face.

RoseofCimarron
February 11th, 2014, 02:12 AM
I don't like going out with my hair too greasy, but if I have to stretch one extra day in I will do two French or Dutch braids wound into a Chinese bun or just into a braided cinnabun, and that usually hides the greasiness really well.

Snorman
February 11th, 2014, 03:20 AM
I care more than I admit I do...
I wish I didn't care, but on those morning when you think "Nah, I'll shower tomorrow instead, it's not that bad",
but then, during the day, it gets THAT bad.. I just keep redoing my hair into different hairstyles to keep the greasy looks out...
Stupid as I am, I cut bangs two weeks ago. No way of hiding them when they get greasy...

I need to wash it almost daily. Not today, though, I'm thinking thanks to Shampoo bar.

I wish I could just braid it let it be, but when it's greasy, I touch it all the time, making it even more greasy..

Wosie
February 11th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Yes, I care a lot. If I go to for example, town, I'd wash my hair the day before (I never wash my hair on the same day I'm going somewhere). I could never walk around with my hair loose when it's greasy. I remember when I was ~14 (oh yes, the awkward age) and washed my hair once a week. All the other days my hair must've looked like a greaseball, and that embarrasses me to think back on. Back then I didn't care one bit about my hair and its state.

However, if my hair was only slightly greasy, I might pull it up in a hairstyle, and it wouldn't show much. It's just that my confidence drops when my hair isn't perfectly clean, I don't know why, but that's just how I feel.

RachS79
February 11th, 2014, 10:28 AM
For me it used to greatly embarrass me to be anywhere outside my home, or even with anyone other than my husband and children. However now, as I have been learning about the purpose of the oil, my thoughts are changing. Since I do wash my body regularly, and care for my hair by bbbrushing daily and put it up in a bun of some variety, the greasy no longer represents unclean. That distinction in my mind has been helpful in the embarrassment department. Mind you I don't go to the store with my hair down, stringy and oily. But I'm not embarrassed any more to go out with it up in a nice bun.

RachS79
February 11th, 2014, 10:44 AM
For me it used to greatly embarrass me to be anywhere outside my home, or even with anyone other than my husband and children. However now, as I have been learning about the purpose of the oil, my thoughts are changing. Since I do wash my body regularly, and care for my hair by bbbrushing daily and put it up in a bun of some variety, the greasy no longer represents unclean. That distinction in my mind has been helpful in the embarrassment department. Mind you I don't go to the store with my hair down, stringy and oily. But I'm not embarrassed any more to go out with it up in a nice bun.

Neecola
February 11th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Yes, I care. The only time I make allowance for my hair looking greasy (to my eye) is during transition phases when it is a means to an end. For instance, when I switched to sulfate free shampoo or when I wanted to stretch washes to twice a week. Otherwise, it makes me feel icky to have greasy hair. It doesn't bother me to see it on other people, though.

ExpectoPatronum
February 11th, 2014, 11:00 AM
At home, yes. I do care if my hair is greasy in public.

At school, not so much. I go to a sort of hippie college and so, even if my hair is greasy, it's rarely the greasiest lol. I went to class with my hair greasy and still oiled with coconut oil yesterday, threw it in a braid and it looked fine. Like I said, there were people with 'dirtier' hair than mine. I won't go out with greasy bangs though. They look like a stringy mess. I'll always wash them in the sink. It makes the overall appearance of my hair look cleaner than it really is.