PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff and itchy scalp caused by pet allergies?

ashke50
January 23rd, 2014, 03:48 PM
A week ago my boss brought his new puppy into work for the first time (a 10 week old chocolate Labrador!). She is very cute, if a bit distracting when we're trying to work, and it has been great fun having her bouncing round the office ;-)

However, it turns out I am slightly allergic to dogs. Nothing major, slightly itchy eyes and a bit of a sniffly nose when I'm in the office. Since last week though, my scalp has also been much itchier than usual. I switched to T-Gel shampoo, but today and yesterday I have had really bad dandruff, and a really itchy scalp. I know dandruff (or dandruff-like symptoms) can be caused by allergies to hair products, so I wondered whether it was possible that my allergy to the dog is causing my scalp to flare up. Anyone else ever experienced anything like this, or is it just a timing coincidence? I don't usually have much dandruff, so it is a significant change. I did have a patch of itchy/scaly skin a year or so ago which the T-Gel cleared up, but it wasn't all over my scalp like this is.

If it is an allergic reaction to the dog then hopefully anti-histamines will clear it up, and I should be able to get used to her and my body will calm down. If not then I need to work out what else might have caused it, before the itching drives me mad!

RancheroTheBee
January 23rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
It MIGHT be a coincidence, but if you're prone to having scalp issues, any other allergic reactions might be exacerbating the issue. Whenever I get seasonal allergies, my scalp issues usually flare up again too, but I never made the connection before. Perhaps you're on to something.

Firefox7275
January 23rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
What is the medical diagnosis for your scalp issue? If you don't wash your hair frequently it is theoretically possible you could get contact dermatitis from dog dander sticking to sebum, but T-gel is not the solution in that case since it is primarily for seborrhoeic dermatitis, may thin and irritate the skin. It's not normal to 'get used to' allergens.

Review your diet making it as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible, milder allergies (eg hay fever but not anaphylaxis) can be treated effectively with lifestyle modification. Think oily fish, seeds, low sugar fruits, non starchy vegetables, pulses. Avoid all sugars, processed/ refined/ higher glycaemic index carbs, larger servings of land animal muscle meat.

Amelia777
November 25th, 2019, 02:21 AM
It's a pity you have such an issue, but thanks for sharing your experience. It is useful for me as my husband has recently faced the same problem. His doctor prescribed allergy pills to him, but I checked the info about them on Canadian Pharmacy Online (https://www.canadapharmacy.com/) and found out that they have side effects. So, it would be great if you shared how you solved the problem. Did you use medications? Thanks in advance.

lapushka
November 25th, 2019, 08:27 AM
It's a pity you have such an issue, but thanks for sharing your experience. It is useful for me as my husband has recently faced the same problem. His doctor prescribed allergy pills to him, but I checked the info about them on Canadian Pharmacy Online (https://www.canadapharmacy.com/) and found out that they have side effects. So, it would be great if you shared how you solved the problem. Did you use medications? Thanks in advance.

Everything has side effects, every possible pill you take, that does not mean you "get" these things. It is to cover their butt, "should" you get these, then you have been warned.

I take a lot of medication; have to. If I were to look at all the side-effects I would go bonkers. I have some, I admit, but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

And, please, it's "just" an allergy medication. No big deal! Really, it isn't!