PDA

View Full Version : Updos that still show some length/curls?

Neecola
January 23rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
One of the things I like about my hair is it's texture. I enjoy wearing my hair down but I am looking for ways to keep it a little more out of the way while not completely hiding it in a braid or bun. I do half ups from time to time, which are not especially flattering on me... is there any other way to have my cake and eat it too? :)

walterSCAN
January 23rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Have you tried a peacock twist? Not sure how long your hair is, but if it isn't too long you could try it. The peacock twist usually leaves the ends spilling over the top of the clip, and I think it's particularly flattering for curly hair.

askan
January 23rd, 2014, 02:56 PM
I really like loose and a bit bohemian-looking updos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvM3uDM_Hw0 They show off a lot of volume and texture even if all the hair is up. I'm not a natural curly so I have to curl my hair beforehand, but if I'm putting it up I use a clawclip and bobby pins and try to make it look messy and relaxed but still stay up securely. I like to do something with the fringe area as well, like a bump or a french braid.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM
Have you tried a peacock twist? Not sure how long your hair is, but if it isn't too long you could try it. The peacock twist usually leaves the ends spilling over the top of the clip, and I think it's particularly flattering for curly hair.

Seconding the peacock twist. It was do-able as a single twist until BSL for me. Then we had to wrap it a few times (so no more ends spilling over). Depends on your length!

woodswanderer
January 23rd, 2014, 05:12 PM
I do an infinity bun and let the tail hang down in the middle.

cat11
January 23rd, 2014, 07:14 PM
Seconding the peacock twist. It was do-able as a single twist until BSL for me. Then we had to wrap it a few times (so no more ends spilling over). Depends on your length!

Yes! Peacock twist using the upzing, looks awesome

http://www.hairboutique.com/blogs_p/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Peacock-6_250h.jpg

Neecola
January 24th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks all!

I wore the heck out of the peacock twist until recently, when the tail became too long to look right. Even though I am only APL, I think because my hair is fine and thin-ish (2.25" circ) it takes a lot less hair on me to make the first twist. I'll experiment with doing 2 twists (under the claw clip).

askan, I like styles like that; thanks for the link

woodswanderer (fab name, BTW), That's a really cool idea. The hair would just "waterfall" on one side and I think that would be very pretty. I'm marking that one down for future use!

Anyone else?

CurlyCap
January 24th, 2014, 07:24 PM
The great thing about curly hair is that you can do random, haphazard things with spin pins and hairpins....and they will look amazing.

So just pin your hair up however you want it to look with curls draping where you want them. If the pins stay, go with it. This is the flip side of not being able to have the perfectly smooth chignon! Our updos can "fail" yet be fantastic.

Think messy versions of all the classics: Twists, gibson tuck, high pony, cinnamon bun but not quite neat, etc.

MeowScat
January 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Make a knot and instead of wrapping the length around the base of the knot, just leave it hanging out. Hold knot with a stick or spin pins. They look so cool. I think TorrinPaige has a video on YouTube for it.

Neecola
January 25th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Yay. more responses!

Curlycap - I used to do those all the time... I call it my bird's nest. I should do some more experimenting with that. Thanks!

Meowscat, I found that Torrin Paige video for the knot bun. Looks gorgeous! (But what doesn't on her hair!) Thank you for the suggestion.

Panth
January 26th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Comet bun? Maybe for when your hair is a bit longer.

Neecola
January 28th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Oh, that's perfect Panth! (For when my hair is longer, as you say) I hadn't heard of that one before. If anyone else is curious, here's the link to a thread about comet buns (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=113331).