PDA

View Full Version : Leave in for every day use

Misschilly
January 23rd, 2014, 08:29 AM
Hi,

I like an easy routine and like to put something on my ends to protect them, preferably every day without to much thinking.

Oils can make my hair greasy..after some applications..I CO once a week..does someone know what I can try to just put on every day without it being "too much" for my hair?
Home made leave in spray maybe? What should I put in?

Thank you,

Misschilly

Firefox7275
January 23rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
What are you wanting to protect your hair from exactly? What are your hair properties (coarseness, elasticity, porosity)? Knowing that will help you choose ingredients.

Any spray will be almost entirely water, or possibly water and greasy silicones. If you are washing only once a week you presumably are trying to avoid hygral fatigue (water damage), doesn't seem wise to then wet your delicate ends daily.

Why do you feel you need to apply anything daily? Maybe just oil when the last oiling has absorbed or rubbed off.

Misschilly
January 23rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
I guess I want to protect my hair from being dried out and therefore tangling/splitting. I always wear it in a bun and braid in sleep cap during nights.
My hair is 1c/f/ii porosity/elasticy I don't know, I'm growing out dye in my lengths..
I mostly want to put something on everyday because it's simple..strange I know..

starlamelissa
January 23rd, 2014, 10:09 AM
I like detangling spray. You are in Sweden, so I can't recommend a brand, but the popular ones here in America are aimed at kids.

MissHoney
January 23rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
I plan on trying aloe vera juice... Which I did once before on virgin hair with good results. The kind that comes in a dark bottle from a health food shop. It can go in a spray bottle.

Firefox7275
January 23rd, 2014, 10:20 AM
I guess I want to protect my hair from being dried out and therefore tangling/splitting. I always wear it in a bun and braid in sleep cap during nights.
My hair is 1c/f/ii porosity/elasticy I don't know, I'm growing out dye in my lengths..
I mostly want to put something on everyday because it's simple..strange I know..

It's not drying out (assume you mean lack of water?) that causes tangling and splitting for most of us, its 'weathering' (everyday damage) building up to a critical level of cuticle damage and/ or build up (products or hard water). Certainly if you have old dye damage you more likely have lower elasticity and higher porosity at the ends.

Moisturising (adding or increasing water) is constantly wrongly used in place of conditioning/ emollience (softness, slip, shine, protection). Water is actually damaging (hygral fatigue) especially to already damaged hair. Proven ingredients for dye damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. If these aren't enough your only real solution is to disguise the problem with silicones or resort to scissors. Brands that include several of these proven ingredients include Komaza Care Matani, Redken Extreme, Scientific Essentials.

Using effective ingredients on a daily basis on fine hair is the fastest way to sticky tangly build up. Listen to your hair year round don't work to an inflexible timetable. Fine hair tends to do well with hydrolysed protein but this can easily be overdone leading to rough straw like hair. I dye and the effects of my rich leave in conditioner last at least four days if my hair is up (I wash after that) I rotate through ceramides, protein, panthenol, oils (as an ingredient or pre-wash NOT a leave in).

Misschilly
January 23rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Wow you know a lot! Thank you so much for taking time learning my some important stuff!

It's not drying out (assume you mean lack of water?) that causes tangling and splitting for most of us, its 'weathering' (everyday damage) building up to a critical level of cuticle damage and/ or build up (products or hard water). Certainly if you have old dye damage you more likely have lower elasticity and higher porosity at the ends.

this I didn't really knew!=)

Moisturising (adding or increasing water) is constantly wrongly used in place of conditioning/ emollience (softness, slip, shine, protection). Water is actually damaging (hygral fatigue) especially to already damaged hair. Proven ingredients for dye damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. If these aren't enough your only real solution is to disguise the problem with silicones or resort to scissors. Brands that include several of these proven ingredients include Komaza Care Matani, Redken Extreme, Scientific Essentials.

My hair is not so bad except from the dye chin down, I've never used heat regularly and always worn my hair up so I don't need to chop, but I'm slowly trimming away the dye.
I don't use silicones nowdays..Do you know if Redken extreme contains silicones?
Do you know what product should be best to add, conditioner, leave in, treatment?
Usually hairdressers tell me my hair is dry, but I guess it's getting better now I CO.
So..the first step maybe should be to try coconut oil more? How do I know if it works? I guess I shouldn't use MO under the Coconut oil then?
So many questions..but you seem to be the right person to ask! <3 (I hope you understand me, English s not y first launguge)

Using effective ingredients on a daily basis on fine hair is the fastest way to sticky tangly build up. Listen to your hair year round don't work to an inflexible timetable. Fine hair tends to do well with hydrolysed protein but this can easily be overdone leading to rough straw like hair. I dye and the effects of my rich leave in conditioner last at least four days if my hair is up (I wash after that) I rotate through ceramides, protein, panthenol, oils (as an ingredient or pre-wash NOT a leave in).

Firefox7275
January 23rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
I don't really use silicone either, but I do use alternative ingredients such as the ones I listed. Redken does use silicones, Komaza Care Matani does not nor Scientific Essentials. To me leave in is shortform for leave in conditioner so they are the same basic products, my colour treated hair takes an awful lot of leave in conditioner and I like the softness, slip and shine (what many people wrongly label moisturised). Having said that both brands do spray products (not technically conditioners) that might suit your finer hair better but I'm not sure I'd risk daily use.

The published research on coconut oil is as an overnight to twenty four hours pre-wash on dry hair. It will penetrate there is no doubt, reduce porosity and increase elasticity. I notice a difference in hair behaviour - if you are not happy with the cosmetic results try any oil rich in oleic acid as this also penetrates (olive, avocado, sweet almond). You can still use mineral oil after washing/ between washes, maybe over a treatment spray.

meteor
January 23rd, 2014, 04:22 PM
I wonder if Nightblooming's Panacea leave-ins could benefit you. They are very popular on the LHC, and they are cone-free.
It's heavily discussed here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50728

Amayan
January 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Hi !

I don't know if my testimony is in the good topic, but after many years with dry length and ends I've found my miracle solution ! I don't like to do a pre-shampoo hair care and I prefer the leave in, I feel my hair more protected ..

So I use my conditioner ! I usually use the Lavera " mango ", but I think every conditioner without silicons can work.
Here's my method :

I put a little bit of conditioner in my hands, I add water and I rub my hands together to dilute the conditioner.
After that I apply lightly in my hair, insisting on my ends and I let it dry.. :)
Usually I do that at night, and in the morning my hair is very soft and not greasy at all ! Hair has absorbed the conditioner in the night :) You can need 1 or 2 tests to put the right quantity of product and avoid a greasy effect, for a mid back I use a hazelnut size of product !

I hope it will help you, I believe we can use a same product for many applications ! And if the conditioner is adapted to your hair, it will work to protect and feed them :)

Verdandi
January 23rd, 2014, 05:15 PM
I seem to have almost the same hair type as you, and I alter between just plain argan oil and Scandinavian Formula's completely water soluble silicon based leave in for the ends (Yes, there is one! I was amazed when I found it grocery shopping! Available at Ica Maxi (Yup, fellow Swede here ;) ), I usually don't use cones either, but this one doesn't give that coney coated feel and washes out easily) sine coconut is weigthing my hair down so much and makes it look too stringy and my hair really need something more than oil the argan oil in the winter.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2014, 05:27 PM
Some distilled water in a spray bottle, add a squirt of conditioner. That's it.

Loviatar
January 23rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
When my hair was past APL, I liked Lapushka's method above (the conditioner I use is called Biolage, but I have used Inecto coconut which I also like, and is cheaper.)

Now I have a bob I use a tiny dab of Nightblooming panacea (original version) on my ends after washing, before air drying. It is oil based but never seems to leave my hair greasy.

I imagine when my hair gets past APL again I will do a combination of the two depending on how I feel :) and whether I want to mist my hair in summer, which I do enjoy.

GoddesJourney
January 23rd, 2014, 08:51 PM
After I rinse out my conditioner, I push like a toothpaste size amount through my wet hair as if I was making a ponytail. Just the cheap Suave stuff. It dries well without leaving me greasy and even weighs my hair down enough to keep it from being poofy.

Marika
January 23rd, 2014, 08:59 PM
I use Redken Extreme Anti-Snap leave-in every other day (after a wash) and I love it! I used it first time about 12 years ago and I always go back. Another great leave-in is Lanza Hair Repair Leave-In Protector. I think Redken gives better "instant" results but Lanza is good too especially on the long run. I also use CHI Keratin Mist after washing but I'm not that crazy about spray leave-ins.

I love Nightblooming's Panacea too (all three of them) so you might want to try them if you're looking for something more natural. Trial pack is great and it lasts forever!

Anyuta
January 23rd, 2014, 09:41 PM
I would recommend pure argan oil. Out of all oils this one never feels greasy and absorbs leaving your ends moisturized. My hair is very thin and easily gets frizz, but I first spray it with some water, and then apply argan oil on the ends. It really protects the ends. And never smells of anything.

Misschilly
January 24th, 2014, 05:04 AM
OK Girls,
what I should test:
- conditioner in water and a spray bottle
- add conditioner after wash
- try panacea
- try argan oil

now I have some methods to try and see if my hair likes it, thanks a lot! =)

antikythera
January 24th, 2014, 05:30 AM
I use Biolage Hydratherapie leave in conditioner, its been working great for my fine mid-back length hair. When the weather is a bit warmer I also put a bit of coconut oil on my ends in the morning but now in the winter I put it on in the evening before bed.

BroomHilda
January 24th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I think you haven't mentioned any of your hair properties, you may not really need anything unless your ends feel dry, "velcro", gets splits etc

Have you tried deodorized coconut oil on dry hair? It penetrates really well leaving a silky feel. You defenately not need to apply over and over, thats the difference with a spray/conditioner. The later evaporates over time and it might leave residue. Coc.oil penetrates the hair shaft and won't evaporate.

However, just like someone mentioned above, a good (for u) conditioner, dilluted with some water may as well do an excellent job.
But concidering you keep your hair up, I d prefer an oil instead.

GoddesJourney
January 24th, 2014, 07:38 AM
OK Girls,
what I should test:
- conditioner in water and a spray bottle
- add conditioner after wash
- try panacea
- try argan oil

now I have some methods to try and see if my hair likes it, thanks a lot! =)

Pick whatever is cheapest and easiest and do only that for two weeks. If you like it, keep it. If it doesn't work, try the next thing.

thirstylocks
January 24th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Beauticurls, by Curl Junkie!! I was just thinking about making a post about how much this product has saved my hair!

I have 2A hair, btw - so definitely not a curly (not even really wavy!) and the product is great on my hair. My hair is really, really coarse and dry and it drinks it all up! I apply it religiously when my hair is still wet from the shower. I reapply as needed when my hair dries.

lapushka
January 24th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Beauticurls, by Curl Junkie!! I was just thinking about making a post about how much this product has saved my hair!

I have 2A hair, btw - so definitely not a curly (not even really wavy!) and the product is great on my hair. My hair is really, really coarse and dry and it drinks it all up! I apply it religiously when my hair is still wet from the shower. I reapply as needed when my hair dries.

Another "barely" wavy here. I am going to look up that product now...

JellyBene
January 25th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I really like the leave in conditioners from toadstool. You can order them on etsy

thirstylocks
January 28th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Another "barely" wavy here. I am going to look up that product now...

Let me know if you like it!! I hope it works for you.

Decemberrose
January 30th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I use a leave in from Biosilk, called Silk Therapy. It smells so good and makes my hair very soft and shiny.
Does anyone know it? I'm just wondering if it's really a nice product, or if it's bad for your hair?... Feels amazing though.. :)

alexis917
January 30th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I actually use a heat protectant as my leave in conditioner! It's Aussies Hair Insurance, supposed to add shine and shield from heat.
I don't know if it does that because I don't use heat...but, it smells so good and your hair will be soft and shiny! I have only found it at Walmart, sadly.

ErinLeigh
January 30th, 2014, 02:40 PM
OP leave ins are too heavy for me also.
I use a mister bottle. In it I had my leave in, some aloe, argan and grapeseed oil, few drops of emulsifier to make it blend and it is just enough to keep things soft and sealed without weighing hair down or looking like product is in it.
So for me it is
one good sized squirt leave in
one pump aloe gel
4-6 drops oil
3 drops polysorbate 80
2 oz water
sometimes I add glycerin also as my hair likes as it works for the climate i live in.

shake and spray.
I dump it every few days and redo so you can plat with amounts but it really works.
If you dont have emulsifer just shake really well and spray while it is still "mixed"

lapushka
January 30th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Let me know if you like it!! I hope it works for you.

Err... It's kinda out (way out) of my budget. Oh well, I'll just stick to my Pantene Naturefusion leave-in then. :shrug:

Allychan
January 30th, 2014, 05:51 PM
My hair in fine too. I do the overnight Coconut oil soak then rinse it out with conditioner in the morning. That way it is not greasy and I know my ends are protected