PDA

View Full Version : How often do you trim your hair ?

miss_donya_
January 23rd, 2014, 08:02 AM
Hi guys !
This is the first thread I post here and I'm extremely exited to be here and to be surrounded by other hair lovers :happydance:

Forgive me if there's a thread on this already , I'm very new here .

so I found that my ends tend to get a little whispy and straw like every 2-3 months , I tried my best to stretch it to 3 months and had the ends dusted off yesterday .

how often do you guys feel like you need to trim your hair ? and can anyone suggest anything to make it take longer before I need a new trim ?
I already oil as much as I can like every 2 days or so and my ends are usually oiled as soon as i geto ut of the shower , I also do deep conditioning treatments twice a week or so .

Neecola
January 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM
Hi miss_donya_ -- welcome to LHC!

I think trimming is very much an individual thing. Personally, I microtrim every 2-3 months but I believe that is considered quite frequent around here. If your hair feels better after you trim every few months and so long as you aren't trimming off 2-3 months worth of growth when you do trim, I don't see any problem... unless you are impatient to get to your goal. Some members will grow to their goal, then microtrim all the new growth regularly to fill in the hemline. Either way works!

ravenreed
January 23rd, 2014, 12:04 PM
I used to microtrim every six to eight weeks because of split ends. Lately, I don't have as many so I just do a trim as needed to keep it near classic length.

ellenajordans
January 23rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
I trim probably every 4 months, but my hair doesn't look to good at that point. This is my first time trim going heat free, I've always had lots of split ends after 4 months. It's been about a month and a half since my last hair cut and last time using heat, and 0 split ends in that time, so excited and my hair is so much less dry!!!!

Stiria
January 23rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
Welcome to LHC! I am New too:o

I trim every 3 months, or when my ends starts to feel like velcro. Do you keep your hair up? It will help protect the ends, and perhaps help you go longer between trims.

Rio040113
January 23rd, 2014, 12:36 PM
I trim once or twice a year usually :o My ends don't really get dry and I take care of any splits with regular S&D sessions :)

askan
January 23rd, 2014, 12:47 PM
My plan is to try to wait 3 or 4 months and then trim just a little (just started doing it myself so I can cut no more than 0,5 inches). But when it gets too hard to detangle and comb I know it's time to trim. I try to wear it up as much as possible and detangle very gently with a wide toothed comb. I find I get a lot less damage now than before when I used to brush less carefully. Depending on how long your hair is it's also a good idea to protect it from rubbing against chairs and car seats etc. :)

lapushka
January 23rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
I bet you're surprised there's a "no trimming" thread in this place. ;) But seriously, as said before, it's a very individual thing. I'm part of the no trimming challenge myself, so no trimming for me for an entire year... maybe even more. Who knows.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 23rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
I am in the "no trims for a year" thread. I did a trim on 3rd January, and now won't do another one until next January. It is the quickest way to get growth if growth is what you are after.

sarahthegemini
January 23rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
I trimmed about hmm probably 9 months ago. I don't have a set schedule, I just get it trimmed when needed.

Covet
January 23rd, 2014, 05:44 PM
I don't have a set schedule and trim when I feel I need it, usually when my hair gets insanely tangly. My trims are quite spontaneous and I'd say last year I had about 3 because my hair is so incredibly bleach damaged at the ends. This year I am aiming for none!

divinedobbie
January 23rd, 2014, 05:55 PM
Hi, I'm new too :)

I usually trim once every 10-12 months so a little more often than once a year. I just trimmed it a few days ago actually.

A tip I got from other LHC-ers is to put your hair in an updo so it protects the ends!

RapunzelKat
January 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
For me, a trim every three months seems to be working nicely - I've been doing about 1/2 an inch or so each time. I have to get rid of my fragile ends before damage sets in, or I lose more length in the long run. :shrug:

Happy growing! :D

hairpleasegrow
January 23rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
I am also on the no trim challenge for a year, although I may s and d according to the moons :)

ositarosita
January 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
I trim sporadically. At the moment I am growing out some layers so I trim when I have surpassed a milestone. For instance I have 2.5" before my next milestone (APL) so I wont be trimming until May/June or even July. Aside from that I only trim when I feel like I need it.

Misschilly
January 24th, 2014, 05:26 AM
I trim every 3 months, I'll try to stretch it some more if I can..

XcaliburGirl
January 24th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Every few years, apparently. I do keep my hair up most of the time. I do expect that I'll trim more often as it gets longer.

restless
January 24th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

To answer the question I trim whenever I feel like my ends need it. In other words: when they start to look ragged or when they feel dry and velcro-ish and it cant be solved with oil or removal of buildup. I dont really have a schedule but as I look back on my trimming history for the past year or so, Id say Ive been microtrimming (i.e only maybe a centimeter or so) every 3-4 months because of one or the other of the reasons mentioned above.

My last trim was in October I think and then I took off a centimeter because my ends were a little too thin. Im growing out old damage so theyre still not thick and perfect, but its getting better with every trim and at least its even.

walterSCAN
January 24th, 2014, 06:59 AM
My last trim was in late 2012, I think. I honestly can't remember. Can you tell us a little more about your hair routine? (i..e. do you heat style, what kind of oils are you using, what kind of deep treatment do you do, what are your regular S & C, and how often are you washing, etc?) That could help us come up with more specific suggestions to make it possible to stretch your trims further apart.

From your hair stats, it looks like you're somewhere around SL? That can be a tricky length for some people to grow beyond when they are used to regular salon trims.

spidermom
January 24th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I've experimented with a number of trimming schedules, from once a year to every 8 weeks (give/take a week). With trimming once per year, I would get 7 inches of growth, but the ends would be so uneven and have so many splits that I'd end up cutting back to shorter than I started. My hair seemed to do best if I got about a 1/2 inch trim every 3 months. I'd get 5.5 inches of new length and be able to keep it.

Currently I'm getting a trim every 8 weeks because daughter, granddaughter, and I have a salon day with daughter's best friend being the stylist. I'm maintaining current length and style rather than actively growing for length right now.

jacqueline101
January 24th, 2014, 07:21 AM
I'm trying the no trims deal. When I use to trim it was every 6 months.

Selkie-
January 24th, 2014, 07:21 AM
I trim at the salon about every 6 months. Not brave enough to trim my own hair! I think wearing your hair up as much as possible in styles that protect the ends (like buns) will help prevent split ends. Also oiling the ends which you are already doing. Other than that just try and be as gentle as possible with your hair at all times. :)

hoopalou
January 24th, 2014, 07:31 AM
My last trim was the beginning of January. I cut off more than I intended to, so I'm going to try and not trim until the end of the summer. Before that my last trim was 12 months previously.

Fairlight63
January 24th, 2014, 07:40 AM
When I was trying to grow out my hair I trimmed just the ends off every 2 mon. When I reached goal length I trimmed off just the ends every month. I don't want to have to trim off a lot at once because it is harder to get it even. I trim with the new moon signs.

Rachxx
January 25th, 2014, 05:10 AM
I didn't trim for 2 years, only s&d, and grew it from my collarbone to hip. But today I cut my hair to just below bsl and I think I will trim of 1 inch every 2 months to maintain it until all of the chemical damage is gone.

JellyBene
January 25th, 2014, 09:34 AM
When my hair was healthy I went over a year without trims, now that I have some damage I trim it every few months

Katrine
January 25th, 2014, 03:11 PM
My fine hair needs regular trims although I just went three months because in October I trimmed 2". I like to use the Lunar Calendar and yesterday dusted my ends. Even a light dusting helps them to feel better so I'm thinking I will do that once a month for now.

Mizumi
January 25th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I trim whenever my hair starts splitting and tapering. I used to have very dry ends so it would happen every 2 or 3 months. I trimmed more last time so I will see if my ends are any better.

QMacrocarpa
January 25th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Trimming is one of those things that varies widely depending on the particular head of hair (some hair is very resistant to splits and damage), the goals (blunt ends or wispy? for instance), and strategic preferences (I never S&D, so trims are how I keep splits down to a level I can live with).

I'm prone to splits and breakage, and I self-trim pretty much every six months. I have a recurring reminder in my online calendar to nudge me about it. Updos really help me stretch my trims without having to live with velcro, splitty, breaking-off ends. Still, if I don't trim for a while, eventually my ends are tangly the instant I'm done detangling, and a bit after that I start seeing short, broken-off hair-fragments when I detangle. Those are definite signs that I'm overdue for a trim!

I find that tiny trims are quite helpful as far as getting my hair to behave, so I would always start small, even when you think you might need to trim off more. It's so much easier to cut a bit more than to go back in time and cut a bit less!

Evening
January 25th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I rarely do mine, the last time I got it done professionally was perhaps 9 years ago. I do every now and again cut individual split ends off myself, or just cut about a cm off.