PDA

View Full Version : Thickness of strands

rose313
January 22nd, 2014, 11:45 AM
I seem to have a lot of hair, but I don't know how thick my strands are. The reason I ask is because anytime I put product in my hair, the top falls flat and gets greasy much faster. If I put too much product, the length of my hair starts to feel gross. I don't like hairspray, but I can't use it regardless, not even a tiny bit. I also can't use leave in conditioner or oil on the top of my hair. On the ends and mid lengths, oil or the tiniest bit of leave in is okay, but only when my hair is damp. I can use dry shampoo but it only works for about half an hour, then my hair gets even flatter and worse than before.

I was wondering if that's because my strands are thin and it sucks up too much product? When there is no product in my hair besides the shampoo and conditioner I shower with, it feels in great condition.

mamaherrera
January 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
I don't know if it's just this, I have medium thick strands, but they also get weighed down easily with products/ oil.

meteor
January 22nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
I don't know if it's just this, I have medium thick strands, but they also get weighed down easily with products/ oil.
Yes, I think hair can get weighed down by product, regardless of the coarseness. Porosity is more important, IMHO. My hair is fine on canopy and coarse on nape, but it feels that nape hair gets weighed down by product even more... I think it's because my nape hair is low porosity so all product sits on top and creates a film.

The higher porosity your hair is, the more product will penetrate the hair strands and the more product it generally needs (e.g. hydrolysed proteins, penetrative oils, ceramides, 18-MEA, artificial peptides, silicones, glycerin at certain dew points, etc). Low porosity hair is easier to overwhelm with oils and conditioners, it just likes to be clean.
High porosity, damaged (chemical, mechanical, heat damage) hair or very curly hair need more proteins and fatty acids (i.e. more product), IMHO. For example, some curlies manage to put palmfuls of oil in their hair and wash it once every few weeks without it looking greasy.

rose313
January 25th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Could using conditioner on my roots have anything to do with it?

Agnes Hannah
January 25th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Could using conditioner on my roots have anything to do with it?

It may do if the conditioner is too rich. When rinsing you need to rinse for about three minutes or more to make sure all of the conditioner is out. If it really bugs you, just put some conditioner on the ends from ears down, or try diluting conditioner. Its just a case of experimenting until you get the balance right for you, everyone is individual and what may work for you maynot on someone else. All good fun though!

Firefox7275
January 25th, 2014, 02:56 PM
You might consider a hair analysis (Komaza Care, Goosefootprints on Etsy) to work out your hair properties (fineness, porosity, elasticity) then use this to select ingredients and products.