PDA

View Full Version : My hair has changed strand thickness

red-again
January 22nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
When I joined lhc, and I hair typed, my hair was definitely a f. Lots and lots of it but defo fine. It was bleached from dark though to orangey to bright red. I hated it and thus have been hennaing since feb 2012. ( I was hennaing for about seven years prior to the bleaching madness too)
Only recently I had an operation on my neck and have had a bit of a post surgery shed and the hairs I have been losing, plus the ones on my head that I have examined have not fitted the description of f hair. The strands now feel like cotton and are very visible on the shower floor, on the bed etc.
i have lost some thickness due to my shed though. I was a f with ii/iii hair. My circumference was about 4.25". Having measured today I am now about a 4" circumference.
anyone else had a change in hair strand thickness? I know ponytail thickness increases seem to be s regular occurrence when following more hair friendly lhc rules but haven't heard about texture before? I'm sure it isn't the henna as I did this before the bleaching and noticed very little difference.
So I am now about to go into my profile and edit from a f to a m. Can't wait for my shed hairs to grow back and see what my circumference may be!

molljo
January 22nd, 2014, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking your hair strand thickness may have more to do with age and hormonal changes more than anything else. When my mother was in her late 30s, her baby fine hair started growing in much coarser, and she's always treated her hair in very mainstream ways (dyeing, heatstyling, etc.). I remember this because at the time she was very vocal about it, and she ended up asking my grandmother if she'd experienced the same change, which it turned out she had. Maybe ask some older female relatives if this might just be a genetic thing that kicks in around your late 30s?

red-again
January 22nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
You might be onto something there. My mum had m hair but you could nearly cut cheese with it now.
I have also recently been diagnosed hypothyroid and started taking levothyroxine. ( too recently to make a diff to the whole of my hair length but it all adds up)
Had tests for peri menopause but all still normal on that count.
Thanks for the idea