PDA

View Full Version : Hair Typing Help Needed :)

rcblinn
January 21st, 2014, 10:10 PM
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac277/rcblinn/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps350b4447.jpg (http://s907.photobucket.com/user/rcblinn/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps350b4447.jpg.html)

I'm totally confounded by my hair's wave pattern! For the longest time I was convinced I was 1c/2a but that was while I was using cones and constantly brushing my hair. I noticed though that I had these annoying waves at the back of my crown that no matter how much I brushed, would never lay down. After being intrigued by an effort to embrace my natural texture, I've been doing a modified cg routine of low poo, cowashing and scrunching, I've even been able to get wurls! The undelayer of my hair is especially prone to these but if I even come near it with a brush , it all straightens out with the odd bump here and there. So here is a pic below- loo poo'd, scrunched with some mousse in to battle the frizz off. Is it a solid 2a?

BlazingHeart
January 21st, 2014, 10:20 PM
Looks 2a, or maybe 2a/2b to me. Do you have a bit of spiraling in there? It looks like you do, and that would push more towards 2b.

flemeister
January 22nd, 2014, 12:01 AM
Easily a solid 2b IMO. Possibly 2b/2c if you've ever had mild spiral curls form on some of your ends. :)

Charybdis
January 22nd, 2014, 12:34 AM
You are at least a solid 2a, certainly. Because this photo is post-scrunching and mousse, I wouldn't call it a full-on 2b, although it might be a real 2b depending on what it does at shorter lengths - I couldn't say without some idea of what your wave pattern does. Do your waves only become visible at longer lengths, or do you have more waves (maybe expressed as poofy, frizzy hair and flippy ends, if you were treating it as straight) when your hair is shorter, that then are pulled straighter by the length?

Maybe 2a/2b?

ETA: Nice hair!

Wosie
January 22nd, 2014, 04:15 AM
I would say 2b judging from that picture, but you said that you had scrunched it and used mousse on it... So I cannot be perfectly sure, maybe you can take a new picture, without touching your hair after having washed it? (Washing it [mayhaps fingercombing it in the shower when having the conditioner in], then leave the hair on a towel over your shoulders until it dries and then take a piccy.)

Also, I think it would be rad if we could have a 'Hair type me!' thread going on, as so many want to get hair typed. :) Last but not least--I'm a 1c, and my hair could never look as wavy as yours no matter how much I scrunched it and moussed it.

DweamGoiL
January 22nd, 2014, 06:06 AM
Looks like a 2b to me

1nuitblanche
January 22nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
I'd say you're at least a 2a, maybe a 2b. I'm also a 1c and could never get my hair to be as beautifully wavy as yours is in that picture!

rcblinn
January 22nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful replies! I have noticed that as my hair gets longer, the waves become more visible and lazy spirals begin to form at the ends- would the wurls make it closer to 2c? I always thought the wurls would be tighter (mine try a half attempt lol). And yes I agree, we should start up a hair typing thread!

Anje
January 22nd, 2014, 08:54 AM
I'd call that 2b as it currently is. It's possible that with changes in routine, 2c might show up.

Personally, I think a lot of wavies are really just very very weak curlies; that is, that our waves aren't flat Ses but are slow spirals. I know mine are, but I can't CG my hair to anything sproingier than a stringy 2a.

Firefox7275
January 22nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
A mix of 2a/2b from the pictures on the Naturally Curly website. It's completely normal for weak waves to go straight when brushed.