PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over - Need help

ZephyrStorms
January 21st, 2014, 12:15 PM
I am starting over with my hair today. I have neglected my hair for many years. I have bleached it, dyed it, applied an obscene amount of heat to it and it had been damaged to a point of where there was no repairing it. I started over with a shaved head today and am I am not sure what to do to ensure a healthy growth.

My hair itches like crazy. I put some olive oil on it and that helped a little with the itching. Are there any products or home made things I can do to make sure my naturally wavy hair comes back in healthy?

meteor
January 21st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Happy to hear that you are committed to treating your hair much better! You'll see results pretty soon if you persevere.

You mentioned the itchies. That could be caused by a number of conditions, some of which (seborrhoeic dermatitis comes to mind) could be exacerbated by the high content of oleic acid in olive oil, even though it provides this initial relief. I recommend visiting a family doctor or a dermatologist if the condition persists. But in the meantime, try using mild SLS/SLES-free shampoos that you know don't irritate your scalp.
I also recommend using some diluted honey and aloe vera on your scalp as a tonic/rinse/wash before, during or after you shampoo. Honey and aloe vera are mildly anti-bacterial and very soothing for dry and/or irritated scalps.

Of the Fae
January 21st, 2014, 03:41 PM
No chemical dyes :) No heat, as you said it ruins your hair.
I had a big chop too, I use henna only now as a dye.
Only trim when necessary and when it is long enough to wear up, wear it up as many times as possible to ensure protection of the ends. Good luck :) Oh and shaved heads look amazing too :D And all stages inbetween have their charm. I'm curious for pics!

xdaniellex
January 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM
Wow! Good for you for starting over. I don't think I could do that. My hair is also fried, so I have just vowed to never get highlights again and am slowly trimming away the dyed ends. How close to the scalp did you shave?

ZephyrStorms
January 21st, 2014, 05:06 PM
Dandruff runs in my family so it could be that. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

I gave myself a buzz cut, there is barely a centimeter of hair on my head.

ErinLeigh
January 21st, 2014, 05:16 PM
IT depends if the itching is scalp related or just from the the feeling of being bald and having new hair grow in.
When I shaved my head I had a little itching, but no flakes or rash. Mine was just from general exposure I think.
Did you ever have this issue before? If it is new changing anything can be problematic. I guess it depends what the true symptoms are.

If it persists see a dr, but if it just needs soothed from exposure, neem oil, emu oil and coconut help people I know. Allergies play a factor so I hate suggesting things as I would be quite sad if I caused someone issue.
I love the honey and aloe suggestion also. I use both for my irritated face with excellent results. If no allergies or scalp condition that would be a good starting point plus wont hurt new hair growth.

Good luck with the new growth. I did the same thing before and it grew out a lot faster than I thought it would. Was actually pretty nice starting fresh. I loved the feel of a shaved head secretly. Could the itching just be the peach fuzz, or is it severe?

fairview
January 21st, 2014, 10:10 PM
Honey is hygroscopic. If the itching is related to a dry scalp as a result of such a dramatic change in scalp environment, then frequent use of honey could actually exacerbate. Your location is TX same as mine. Even though we are in the middle of winter our UV index is still high enough on a clear day to end up giving a mild sunburn in a couple of hours particularly for delicate scalp skin that has never been exposed to direct sunlight before (think a high SPF until you have significant regrowth). IF the itching was not present prior to shaving the head and it is not an itch that can't be satisfied and just started up it would also coincide with our recent negative dew points (humidity equivalent to a desert) and a mild sunburn. On the other hand if you are having severe flaking, significant inflammation and itching that can't be satisfied, it is probably time to visit a dermatologist for a diagnosis at least before you decide on a course of treatment.

ErinLeigh
January 21st, 2014, 11:55 PM
Honey is hygroscopic. If the itching is related to a dry scalp as a result of such a dramatic change in scalp environment, then frequent use of honey could actually exacerbate. Your location is TX same as mine. Even though we are in the middle of winter our UV index is still high enough on a clear day to end up giving a mild sunburn in a couple of hours particularly for delicate scalp skin that has never been exposed to direct sunlight before (think a high SPF until you have significant regrowth). IF the itching was not present prior to shaving the head and it is not an itch that can't be satisfied and just started up it would also coincide with our recent negative dew points (humidity equivalent to a desert) and a mild sunburn. On the other hand if you are having severe flaking, significant inflammation and itching that can't be satisfied, it is probably time to visit a dermatologist for a diagnosis at least before you decide on a course of treatment.

That is interesting about honey. I used to live in Dallas and used it on my face all the time and it never dried it out. I always figured since I was washing in a humid environment (shower) then rinsing it off.. the shower moisture pulled in, and then after it was rinsed it was simply gone..then I hit it with aloe when damp to kinda seal in the moisture. It worked for me with no drying effect that way. I have used honey for everything my whole life. I am a wee obsessed with it.
So even after rinsing it off skin and sealing, it continues the effect and seek and pull moisture? :( I am glad I am in Florida now if that is the case. My skin breaks out so bad without it.

mariakatija
January 22nd, 2014, 12:31 AM
Starting from scratch is great. You can take very good care of your hair so that all of it will be healthy! Since your hair is super short, I would suggest making your scalp super healthy. Using olive oil is a great start!

ZephyrStorms
January 22nd, 2014, 07:25 AM
It actually doesn't itch anymore. So I think it may have been from shaving it. I am loving my peach fuzz right now.

Firefox7275
January 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
I am starting over with my hair today. I have neglected my hair for many years. I have belached it, dyed it, applied an obscene amount of heat to it and it had been damaged to a point of where there was no repairing it. I started over with a shaved head today and am I am not sure what to do to ensure a healthy growth.

My hair itches like crazy. I put some olive oil on it and that helped a little with the itching. Are there any products or home made things I can do to make sure my naturally wavy hair comes back in healthy?

Don't use olive oil, oleic acid is a barrier disruptor, penetration enhancer and irritant in seborrhoeic dermatitis. Relieve itching with cold compresses.

For wavy hair try the Curly Girl method. Contrary to popular myth you do not need to conditioner only wash if that does not suit your skin or hair.

gillybeanxo3921
January 22nd, 2014, 08:42 AM
Well, I would recommend taking a daily vitamin supplement and eating a healthy diet. Scalp massages and exercise can help with blood flow to the scalp, too.

Loviatar
January 22nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
My friend shaved her head and is now at knee plus. It may help you to read her 'starting from scratch' section on her blog/website. If you google Lady Igor's Bell Tower you should find her site. There is a lot of useful info on there for growing out from next to nothing! One of her tips is to moisturise your scalp well and protect it, as it's now very exposed. Aloe gel is one of her suggestions.

I've always wanted to shave my head and never dared :)

rainfortheend
January 22nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Be careful with oils and moisturizers on the scalp; they make some people shed more, including me. They soften up the follicle so it falls out more easily and may not address the root of the problem, which is likely more complex than just "dryness."

I'd recommend using an antifungal antidandruff shampoo like Nizoral, which contains ketoconazole. It's very hair friendly as well and has also been known to stop shedding. Topical Monistat would also be a good idea; there's a thread about that.

~*~Aspen~*~
January 22nd, 2014, 12:02 PM
Yes, and sometimes also, our hair takes a recovery cleasing period. So much chEMicals in hair,relaxing, simply too much hair spray- similiar occurence-

Hey, good luck! ..

Theobroma
January 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM
Be careful with oils and moisturizers on the scalp; they make some people shed more, including me. They soften up the follicle so it falls out more easily and may not address the root of the problem, which is likely more complex than just "dryness."

I second this warning! Scalp oiling and CO washing make me shed insane amounts of hair. If you feel shampoos are too drying for your hair, try shampoo bars (or bar soap, which is what I've been using with great results for a year and a half now) and follow with a dilute vinegar rinse.

patienceneeded
January 22nd, 2014, 12:43 PM
As the OP said at the end of page 1...the itching may have simply been due to being recently shaved. I know that my legs itch after shaving if it's been a while. A newly (nearly) naked scalp may simply itch due to the trauma of shaving, and brand-new exposure to the elements.

Sometimes an itch is just an itch.

fairview
January 22nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
That is interesting about honey. I used to live in Dallas and used it on my face all the time and it never dried it out. I always figured since I was washing in a humid environment (shower) then rinsing it off.. the shower moisture pulled in, and then after it was rinsed it was simply gone..then I hit it with aloe when damp to kinda seal in the moisture. It worked for me with no drying effect that way. I have used honey for everything my whole life. I am a wee obsessed with it.
So even after rinsing it off skin and sealing, it continues the effect and seek and pull moisture? :( I am glad I am in Florida now if that is the case. My skin breaks out so bad without it.

Yepper, the reason honey has a practically indefinite shelf life without being refrigerated is because it is a super saturated solution of micro sugar crystals. Properly cured honey will have moisture content of 18% or less. Anything more or if the honey has crystallized, it will spoil. With such a low moisture content it can be used as a old school salve to heal infection. Bacteria composed primarily of all water will dehydrate and die when honey is applied. If I remember correctly, natural honey also has trace amounts of formaldehyde or some other weird thing that thebees put into while curing. Among other things I was a club leader in our 4-H chapter and headed up a beekeeping club

ErinLeigh
January 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
I am glad it was just the shaving and all is good now.
I loved my peach fuzz too. I could not stop touching it! It grew into a short pixie in weeks and then i shaved it one last time just because I missed the bald feel . :) Set back, but it think I needed it emotionally at the time. Not having hair was quite freeing and I think it changed my overall feelings about myself. You have to have confidence to pull off shaving head as a female. I was inundated with questions and comments and it was interesting being a focus when not having my hair to hide behind. All and all good experience that I wouldn't change. I learned a lot about myself during that time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do from here with it. It will be fun seeing all the different looks you will get over the 2 years. Every month brings something new :)

ZephyrStorms
January 23rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I agree that oil on my head is not the best idea. I have naturally oily hair and too much moisture turns me into a greaseball. I feel like it is too short to wash right now, but I have rinsed it with apple cider vinegar and it felt great afterwards.

ZephyrStorms
January 23rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I agree that oil on my head is not the best idea. I have naturally oily hair and too much moisture turns me into a greaseball. I feel like it is too short to wash right now, but I have rinsed it with apple cider vinegar and it felt great afterwards.