PDA

View Full Version : updo for a guy?

maluszek
September 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for some good hairstyle for my boyfriend. He wears ponytail all time and I think his hair would use some rest from that. He can't wear loose hair to work (inconvenience) but he wont wear hairsicks nor bunes.. Does anyone have any tips?

ilovelonghair
September 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
There has been a thread on this topic before:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1803

anna1850
September 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
How long is his hair exactly? If it's long enough I'd suggest maybe a folded braid with some kind of very plain barette or a plain Ficcare (plain black would probably be the least 'girly').

ETA: If he did want to go the Ficcare route then a Ficcarisimo would probably be better than the Maximas as the shape is simpler.

Iphinoe
September 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for some good hairstyle for my boyfriend. He wears ponytail all time and I think his hair would use some rest from that. He can't wear loose hair to work (inconvenience) but he wont wear hairsicks nor bunes.. Does anyone have any tips?

An ex of mine was mixed Asian and wore his hair in a french braid, a low braid, or that kind of pony pulled halfway through to fold over itself that looks a bit like a club. He always looked exotic and never girly. Sometimes he'd wear a ponytail secured far down his hair, which was apparently a Japanese thing. It reminded me a bit of those froofy barrettes worn far down the hair back in the 80's, but it still didn't look girly.

Gumball
September 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think any other style (with hairsticks, buns, etc.) are just a matter of personal taste or personal comfort level. If he won't do that then as others have suggested maybe a braid. That can work. A banded ponytail (sometimes called a caterpillar) could work, too, where there are numerous hairties tied down the length for the banded look. Both would be relatively simple and likely within the realm of possibility for him.

Ohio Sky
September 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I have seen guys wear buns that looked very masculine. As long as they don't use flowery sticks or anything, many buns can look very manly if word on the nape of the neck instead of higher up as most women wear them.

Nat242
September 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM
My partner was best man at a wedding on the weekend, and he wore his APL hair in a low cinna-bun at the nape of his neck, held with a long nail (I need to order some stainless steel hairsticks!). It looked awesome, and quite manly. He received lots of compliments.

Aries_jb
September 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I agree with those who suggested a simple braid. It gives his hair a rest and he can change where he puts the band so as not to damage his hair over time.

Personally, I would love to see more longhaired men wearing buns. I think it would look quite attractive.

dorothea-brooke
September 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I love a man in a bun! Or a braid.... Perhaps if we all got together and signed a petition declaring how manly and attractive we find men in buns/braids, your BF would relent and feel comfortable? :)

Seriously, even just that description of a man wearing a low cinnabun with a nail through it :bigeyes: made me sorta swoon.... :crush:

ETA: Oops, heh heh, Nat242, I just saw that was a description of your partner. :whistle: :oops: Well, I promise I'm happily married, so.... :)

Nat242
September 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
<snip>

ETA: Oops, heh heh, Nat242, I just saw that was a description of your partner. :whistle: :oops: Well, I promise I'm happily married, so.... :)

LOL! Don't worry, I'm not the jealous type ;). I can't wait to show him your comment, actually, it will make his day!

Give me a few days, and I'll post a pic in my blog! :D

karenpetal
September 10th, 2008, 11:10 PM
From my side I love wearing braids - I used to be the ponytail guy for a long time but now am bought into wearing everything - french braid buns and sticks

dorothea-brooke
September 10th, 2008, 11:13 PM
LOL! Don't worry, I'm not the jealous type ;). I can't wait to show him your comment, actually, it will make his day!

Give me a few days, and I'll post a pic in my blog! :D

Yay! Pictures! :D

maluszek
September 11th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks a lot to all of you. I was looking for a similar thread but I didn't find it. The lenght is about 2" to his waist. He's gonna wear buns at home but he won't go out in public for sure, mainly because of safety reasons. The place we live is full of people who hate guys in long hair in general :( But braids would be great! We'll wear them :)
Thanks everyone!

melikai
September 11th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Oooh! Get him to do a herringbone braid! Those are damn sexy....:bigeyes:

jtl45
September 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I have been wearing buns and braids for years without even a second thought! I do put my hair in a top knot when I run!
Jim :)

maluszek
September 12th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Oooh! Get him to do a herringbone braid! Those are damn sexy....:bigeyes:
I haven't done these in years, gonna try it on his hair this weekend:) From all the hairstyles we saw online he likes rope braid the most, but definitely we're gonna try different types of braids:)

melikai
September 12th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Great! And if you can convince him, you should take some pictures to show us!

Qamar
September 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
My ex has classic length hair and usually has his hair up in a bun secured with a hair stick. I like the long nail idea, so long as the nail is smooth! If its not in a bun he wears two braids (he's Native American), or a banded ponytail. He always looks masculine.

maluszek
September 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Great! And if you can convince him, you should take some pictures to show us!
I can't upload pictures but here's the link to one picture of him with a braid.
http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo135/maluszek/IMG_0848.jpg

dorothea-brooke
September 17th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Good heavens, that looks fabulous!

Please please tell him that the official LHC consensus is that he should wear his hair like that, or in a bun, all the time. ;)

What nice shiny hair, too....

david
September 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Yeah that looks fine for a guy. I wear my hair in a simple 3 strand plait/braid all the time and never get any hassle and Im from Ireland too. However, one funny incident would be when standing in queue waiting pay for some Cds when some girl thought it would be funny to pull on the end of the plait..ha ha.

I was always worried about wearing styles other than the usual ponytail, but eventually you get the confidence to do what you want. I basically now wear my hair how I like, Including half-up with barrettes etc. Although I have yet to wear a bun as I can't get used to the weight of all my hair in a bun so I tend to get a sore head after a while.

So hopefully you can get your boyfriend to experiment with hairstyles.

sibylla
September 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
The rope braid is one of my favourites on men.Today I took a strand from each side of my BFs hair and joined them in an asian rope braid. It looked great and was comfy.

melikai
September 18th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Looks great!

maluszek
September 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Thanx everyone! Your positive feedback will help to build his confidence:) He's so shy!

Shadow Walker
September 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I'm interested in trying different kinds of updos, but unfortunately I have clumsy fingers (I still have a difficult time trying to do a simple 3 strand braid on myself). I also have no clue how to actually DO any updos (aside from the usual ponytail and half up) so if there are some step by step instructions, could someone point me in the right direction?

ccmuffingirl
September 24th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I've always been a fan of the way Japanese and Native American men wore their long hair. Samurai's traditionally wore their hair in a style called a top knot (which essentially is a men's bun, but it looks cool, lol), and native american men have done lots of things with their long hair to make it look stylish, but manly. There are also hair ornaments that come in more neutral colors (like browns, blacks, and beiges) and are made with interesting materials (like leather and canvas). I wish I could post some links, but I can't seem to find any.

melikai
September 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Shadow Walker - There are some tutorials under the articles section, but even more in the archives: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Most have pictures and some have videos.

Shadow Walker
September 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks melikai! I made an attempt at a bun today, and there's a picture in my album. Looks ok from the back, but from the side it wasn't so great. I'll keep working on it though.

tomm
September 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Congratulations on your first bun - it looks like you did a fantastic job!

melikai
September 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Shadow Walker, I'm not sure if you're still checking this thread, but I found this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235

which gives a lot of links to instructions for different hairstyles.

HTH

saoriiroas
September 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I knew guys who would wear piggytails and look hot. You have to make them look like Mickey mouse ears, looks great with a baseball hat. Only some guys can pull this off, I will admit that.

susiemw
September 30th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I was on a whale watching cruise recently
(and had just read this thread) and saw a nice looking gentleman with sleek black hair that
was pulled back and into a bun at the nape of his neck.
It looked darn good. And he certainly didn't look at
all feminine because of it. He looked very classy.

Susan