PDA

View Full Version : shaggy self-cut-- help?

LuXious
September 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I did the long-layers one-step cut. You know, carefully and very evenly brush it all way way up into a ponytail and then chop a few inches off. Then I did the V-trim following the instructions of the LHC article. I know the hem is even. Perfectly, neurotically even. However, my hair has an allover very shaggy look. From profile, I see straggly ends that swoosh far out just below the middle. The hem looks rather squared, too, not curving under like it's supposed to or like it used to. For the most part, the layers all look shaggy. I could go pay to have it evened up if I must, but I'd rather not if anyone can give me effective advice.

LuXious
September 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
bump. I would also like to add that upon self-conscious inspection of my album photos, it appears my hair was shaggy before this self-cut. It just seems even more so now. Maybe it's something about the texture of my hair, and not necessarily the cut? Could dullish scissors have been a factor in the blunt geometrical stunt of my hem? Can you tell I'm in the middle of reading Nabokov?

chrissy-b
September 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
When I would do a similar cut with my hair, it always looked very shaggy and would stick up in weird places until about two weeks later. Usually after my hair grew out a little bit it would look a lot better.

But if you don't want to wait a couple of weeks, you can always dry trim. I know after my hair was cut perfectly when wet, it always looked weird after it was dry. Wash and dry your hair as usual and then trim the parts that are bugging you.

I've also had luck making the hem curl under by pulling my hair straight back (like you're going to make a ponytail but keep the hair as straight and "flat" as possible) and trimming the ends. Once you let it fall down your back, there should be a very slight layer at the hem which will help it to curl under.

I hope that makes sense and I hope you can trim as little as possible and still be happy with your hair.

Shanarana
September 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure what picture I should be looking at, your siggy or one in your album. Doesn't look that bad to me at all. Dull scissors is a no no, you can get spilts and breakage from using them. Invest in a good pair of hair scissors and you'll notice a huge difference.

LuXious
September 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies!

spidermom
September 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I'd give it at least 2 weeks before you do anything. Sometimes it takes awhile for a new haircut to settle into its new shape.

LuXious
September 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Wow. Look at you, Spidermom. That's some beautiful hair. Well, I went and got it shaped up. It was just bugging me to death. My regular lady is gone on maternity leave so I had to take a stab in the dark. Turned out the girl I got had just, as I was sitting in the waiting area, gotten her hair cut by a co-worker from past BSL to above her shoulders! And she didn't seem too confident about it. I was a little nervous (maybe she was going to take out her regret on my long hair!), but we communicated well and now it looks great! I feel free to continue growing now for months before snipping again. Peachy!

Tressie
September 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hi!

I'm glad you got your problem resolved and are satified with the results! Happy hair to ya!:D