PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good hair routine or can it dry my hair out?

Leslieslsa
January 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I shampoo and condition my hair (I condition it twice) then two days later I do just a deep conditioner and no shampoo, and then another two days later I repeat the process. So my hair gets wet every other day. (sometimes it gets rinsed on days I go to the gym too because I am dripping in sweat) I am patient and allow the conditioners to sit for about ten minutes with every application, sometimes more. Will this kind of routine help or hurt the hair?

Tigermama
January 20th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Sounds good to me.

Leslieslsa
January 20th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I also use leave in conditioner too.

Long_hair_monk
January 21st, 2014, 08:01 AM
Hi! Friend!

I think it will hurt your hair. Conditioning once in a week is good enough for hair. I shall suggest you to use little oil as a conditioner after towel drying your hair. It will give shiny look too. Also if you wash hair more than once in a week, just wash them with water. Don't apply shampoo or conditioner. They will get conditioned anyway because of oil content in your hair. I have 18 inch long hair and I wash everyday with water. Then I dry them with towel. Once they are dry, I apply oil and comb them neatly. Next day morning, I repeat the same process. I hope it should help you too.

Happy growing. God bless : LHM

Madora
January 21st, 2014, 08:15 AM
If you must use conditioner, dilute it. I'd limit the deep conditioning treatment to once a month. The less stuff you put on your hair, the better. Your current routine would, in time, call for a clarifying shampoo because of buildup.

Carolyn
January 21st, 2014, 08:32 AM
It doesn't sound too bad to me. However I agree that deep conditioning every 4 days might be a bit much. I follow an every other day wash routine too with excellent results. I would never dream of not using full strength conditioner. Diluted shampoo yes but never diluted conditioner. My hair EATS conditioner! You might try some CO washing if you feel your hair isn't all that dirty but it just needs freshening up.

ositarosita
January 21st, 2014, 08:41 AM
I CO wash (conditioner only wash) or WO (water only wash) pretty much everyday. I workout daily about about 2 hours so by the time I'm done I'm dripping in sweat and I can't sit with that only scalp because it gets itchy. I see no problem with conditioning daily if you need to shampoo then shampoo but I must agree that deep conditioning every four days sounds like a lot. I only deep condition when I FEEL that my hair needs it (it's dry, tangling, etc.). So aside from the extra deep conditioning I see no problem..(to each his own, your routine doesn't have to work for anybody else but you)

spidermom
January 21st, 2014, 09:31 AM
Hi! Friend!

I think it will hurt your hair. Conditioning once in a week is good enough for hair. I shall suggest you to use little oil as a conditioner after towel drying your hair. It will give shiny look too. Also if you wash hair more than once in a week, just wash them with water. Don't apply shampoo or conditioner. They will get conditioned anyway because of oil content in your hair. I have 18 inch long hair and I wash everyday with water. Then I dry them with towel. Once they are dry, I apply oil and comb them neatly. Next day morning, I repeat the same process. I hope it should help you too.

Happy growing. God bless : LHM

Don't towel-dry your hair! Towels are rough. I use soft flannel pillowcases instead of towels, other people use soft t-shirts.

lapushka
January 21st, 2014, 09:40 AM
My hair's conditioned twice as well, actually I've been using this method for years now and my hair's still all there. It's very nice, especially if you have wavy or curly hair, so don't be afraid to condition twice. Typically my conditioners are left on for 2 minutes. More is simply not necessary, I find, but YMMV.

Foxylocks
January 21st, 2014, 11:36 AM
Nothing wrong with this routine. My hair gets wet everyday, and it gets conditioner every day. I've never had healthier hair.

Leslieslsa
January 21st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Don't towel-dry your hair! Towels are rough. I use soft flannel pillowcases instead of towels, other people use soft t-shirts.

I bought a towel called turbi towel at cvs and it is made from drying hair. My hair didn't fit with the turbi twist so I bought the towel. Works well.

YamaMaya
January 21st, 2014, 01:19 PM
Be careful, there is such a thing as over conditioning, and it can weaken the hair significantly. Of course, everyone's hair likes different routines, as long as your hair is growing long and strong, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. If it starts to break and snap easily, consider adding protien and reducing the moisture.

lapushka
January 21st, 2014, 01:25 PM
Be careful, there is such a thing as over conditioning, and it can weaken the hair significantly. Of course, everyone's hair likes different routines, as long as your hair is growing long and strong, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. If it starts to break and snap easily, consider adding protien and reducing the moisture.

I've been conditioning twice (WCC instead of CWC) for *years*. It *never* gave me problems!

Firefox7275
January 22nd, 2014, 08:21 AM
Never seen any scientific evidence basic conditioning damages the hair quite the reverse it protects especially from mechanical damage by giving slip/ reducing friction. Excessive water exposure can do (hygral fatigue) so limit time spent soaking and use cool not hot water.

Other that that your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity) and ingredients if products are highly relevant. Many intensive conditioners contain little that penetrates the hair, they are largely cosmetic. Some contain ingredients that build up, others do not. Emollience/ softness is importance but does not equal hair health: hair softens with long soaking times because structural protein bonds are broken, i.e. hair is weaker.

Conditioning twice seems completely illogical, just use a good product and consider the effect of time and temperature. Good series of articles on the Natural Haven blog.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Conditioning twice seems completely illogical, just use a good product and consider the effect of time and temperature. Good series of articles on the Natural Haven blog.

I don't care how it "seems". It works for me, has worked for *years*, so I'm not questioning it - at all. :)

Firefox7275
January 22nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
I don't care how it "seems". It works for me, has worked for *years*, so I'm not questioning it - at all. :)

I didn't quote you so was not directing my comments to you, I don't care if you care either!

Madora
January 22nd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Just throwing this out there, but I've been drying with towels for years and have never experienced any problems. However, my towels were Egyptian cotton with a high thread count. Also, I used the towel in a specific way, tossing it over my head so both sides hung down, with the hair in the center. Then I used my palms to gently press out the excess water from the towel surrounded hair. I never rubbed my towel all over my hair. Much too rough!

meteor
January 22nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
I don't see how your routine can dry out your hair, if the shampoos and conditioners you use agree with your hair and scalp.
I guess I would question the necessity to deep condition so frequently. Is your hair very damaged and porous? If not, you can probably condition normally.

By the way, hygral fatigue is something you might want to avoid by limiting the time your hair stays wet (with a conditioner or otherwise). You just need 20-30 minutes max for optimal adsorption of conditioning agents and 35C (pretty much your own body heat). I recommend reading this: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-everything-you-need.html

As for towels, why not experiment with a simple cotton t-shirt? Many have reported getting a lot less frizz this way.

divinedobbie
January 22nd, 2014, 03:08 PM

Even if I wrap my hair in the towel and gently pat it to absorb the moisture, that's still bad? I've been doing that all my life, but if that's bad, I'm switching to t-shirts asap!

Long_hair_monk
January 23rd, 2014, 03:13 AM

Dear Spidermom,
Thanks for your advice. I will start practicing it. Keep in touch

sarahthegemini
January 23rd, 2014, 02:11 PM
May I ask, why are you deep conditioning so frequently?

swearnsue
January 23rd, 2014, 02:38 PM
I like to dilute my conditioner because when it's thinner it surrounds each hair and soaks in better. IMO. Some conditioners are already thin so I don't dilute those. For example the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner is so thick I like to thin it out with warm water. Most of the Suaves don't need diluting, for my use anyway.

I use towels but I try to be very gentle with them and not rub my hair, just blot until not so drippy. My towels are so old, they are very soft. I've had some of them for 20 years. (NOT Egyptian cotton, just some stuff from JC Pennys!)lol

lapushka
January 23rd, 2014, 02:40 PM
I like to dilute my conditioner because when it's thinner it surrounds each hair and soaks in better. IMO. Some conditioners are already thin so I don't dilute those. For example the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner is so thick I like to thin it out with warm water.

Aubrey Organics is *exceptionally* thick, I would say! I've never had any conditioner that thick! It's really hard to get into the hair, which is why I don't like it.

meteor
January 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
Even if I wrap my hair in the towel and gently pat it to absorb the moisture, that's still bad? I've been doing that all my life, but if that's bad, I'm switching to t-shirts asap!

You are probably fine, especially if you don't rub the hair, but pat it gently, and if you don't wash too frequently. If hair is extremely fragile, fine and split-prone, it could make a difference, and I would recommend nothing short of silk satin or other smooth materials.

Under a microscope, you can really see the differences between different materials, especially their "snag potential", so to speak. Personally, I prefer cotton t-shirts, because they are much smoother than towels while still being relatively absorbent.

meteor
January 23rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
I like to dilute my conditioner because when it's thinner it surrounds each hair and soaks in better. IMO. Some conditioners are already thin so I don't dilute those.
I do the same, and I really recommend it. :)
I use the same amount of conditioner as before, but adding lots of hot water makes it possible to do a "conditioner soak", and it really helps with dispersion and adsorption of conditioner to hair.