PDA

View Full Version : How to identify if you need or don't protein?

brok3nwings
September 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Ok so i did a research but this is not clear for me yet. Im sorry if there is any thread similar if there is i would like to be informed

How can someone identify if your hair has too much protein or lake of it?
What are the symptoms?
Those white spots at the ends have anything to do with this?

I would really like to understand this...

Hypnotica
September 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Generally:

Hair like chewing gum = needs protein
Hair like straw, crispy = to much protein

Merkaba
September 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
White spots on the ends have to do with Split ends. Those should be trimmed off before they move up the hair shaft.

Take a strand of hair and stretch it slowly. If it snaps immeadiately it needs moisture, if it stretches a little and then breaks it's good (it should stretch a bit), if it stretches a lot and doesnt go back into shape it might have too much protein.

There is a great article written about how to diagnose your hair in the articles section. Check the labels of your poo and conditioner, if BOTH have protein you may be getting overload. I cut out all protein- my hair started breaking easily and felt weak. I added a little back in (in my shampoo), and do a protein treatment every 2 weeks- now my hair looks and feels great. It's all just experimentation IMO.

Merkaba
September 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Yea, the crunchiness is a better giveaway of protein overload actually.

plainjanegirl
September 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Good luck. If you go the article section there are some articles about protein v. moisture, but I still can't figure it out.
White dots are split ends or damage. They don't all have to be cut off at the same time. You can do mini trims.

Kirin
September 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
If your hair feels weak as in overly elastic, "mushy" at the ends when wet, (a tacky sticky feeling), and a strand stretches a LOT and rebounds into a funky shape (not back to its original) you need protein. Another sign it may need protein is if you are one who chemically colors, and it will not hold color long, or at all. Your hair can always benefit from protein if its color treated, or permed.

Always..... always always follow a protein treatment with moisture. Protein can make hair dry, crunchy, and very coarse.

If your hair feels really good, or it feels dry it does not need protein, I wouldn't recommend it.

Dry hair needs moisture not protein. If your hair is every consistently "dry" feeling even when using conditioner, chances are your conditioner (or shampoo) is loaded with protein. a.k.a. Protein overload.

brok3nwings
September 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
thank you all so much, i think i couldnt get better. But i will have to get my dictionary English/Portuguese cause the specific words about how your hair can "feel" im not sure about them...eheh :P
One think i know from my hair. Loves loves the honeysuckle from Aubrey Organics and that is moisture moisture moisture...