PDA

View Full Version : Is there a non-lazy wrap?

spirals
January 20th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Lazy wrap just sounds like it's the easier way of doing another kind of wrap bun, just as Trolleypup does a lazy 8 instead of a figure-eight. So, was there an original wrap bun and I missed it? My google-fu fails me today. Is there a picture somewhere? Thanks. :flower:

sibiryachka
January 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I've been wondering about this for years. Thank you for posing the question!

Lirona
January 20th, 2014, 01:32 PM
From what I understand, there is no single wrap bun that the lazy wrap is a version of. There's a family of wrap buns, and they include the lazy wrap, nautilus, artemis, and gibraltar. I made a thread a while ago essentially asking what the difference was between a nautilus and a lazy wrap (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117289), and got some good general comments about wrap buns. Here's two:

As near as I can tell, lazy wrap buns, inside-out buns, and nautilus buns are topologically the same. Lots of names, different tensions and amounts of twisting, same bun?

ETA: HELLO SPIRALS! Sorry I posted this same comment to you once before on another thread... I didn't look at the name... :doh:

I must agree that structurally the Nautilus, LWB and Gibraltar are the same bun. The hand positions are different and different techniques may work better depending on thickness and length.

spirals
January 20th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Thank you. I was hoping for a nautilus that doesn't stick out in the middle as much. I guess it just depends on how you wrap and hair length.

spirals
January 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I'm glad you reminded me. I had forgotten about that.

Lirona
January 20th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Here's a lazy wrap where the middle doesn't stick out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9PPb8gCsI

ETA: Just realized you were looking for a nautilus, not a lazy wrap... I'll just be over here.

Lirona
January 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I'm glad you reminded me. I had forgotten about that.

:D No problem!

I guess it just depends on how you wrap and hair length.

Exactly. Amazing how different the same bun can look on different hair/different lengths, isn't it?

spirals
January 20th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I'll try a lazy if it looks right. I don't know why that little bump bothers me. Ha--I feel like this is less a thread than profile messages. Ah well, if someone learns something....

FireFromWithin
January 20th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I find I get less bumb putting the stick in the other direction. As in I hold my hair in my left hand and put the stick from left to right. I'm planning to do a bunch of vids tomorrow and I'll experiment and report back but it's so difficult to tell what a style will do with your hair without trying it yourself!

tetisheri72
January 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Looking at the vid, I just realized that I've been doing the LWB wrong. I was wrapping it around my first two fingers, and then my thumb, and then wrap the rest around the base. It kind of looked like a figure 8, or at least felt that way. This was a better vid than the one I watched it on first. So now I have the LWB, and my variation. Always nice to have a new bun.

afu
January 20th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Looking at the vid, I just realized that I've been doing the LWB wrong. I was wrapping it around my first two fingers, and then my thumb, and then wrap the rest around the base. It kind of looked like a figure 8, or at least felt that way. This was a better vid than the one I watched it on first. So now I have the LWB, and my variation. Always nice to have a new bun.

The way you describe doing your lwb is exactly how I do mine, always have done. It's definitely my go to bun. Interestingly, I've never been able to do a secure nautilus even though a few people have said it's basically the same as the bun I do on an almost daily basis! Learn something new every day.

Dovetail
January 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
How funny, I think I do mine "wrong" too. I wrap over my three fingers, but then I pull the middle "loop" to the right and stick my bun sort of in front of it, and through the middle and then back out the other side. so it's kinda squished flat and doesn't have a lump.

tetisheri72
January 20th, 2014, 03:24 PM
After trying both out, I've decided I like my way best, so I'm going to keep doing it that way. It's really my go to, and it holds like a rock. Works with sticks or flexi-8s, so perfect. I really need to get some forks.

afu
January 20th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Mike doesn't have a lump either . Like somebody else said, mine is more like a flat figure of eight. It is so secure and works with sticks, forks, ficcare, screws or flexis. I think also because it is quite flat against my head it is ultra comfortable because it doesn't pull downwards.

Scarlet_Heart
January 20th, 2014, 03:55 PM
And surely I'm not the first to notice that a disc bun is simply a two-stranded lazy wrap.

tetisheri72
January 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Nope, you're not. I have to wrap the strands around my fingers twice, otherwise I end up pulling it way too tight. But, if I wrap each strand around my fingers twice, it's not too tight. And it gives my bun a little oomph. Thinnish, fine-ish hair, so sometimes I end up with little buns, even with it being hip length.