PDA

View Full Version : the hair itchies associated with hair growth?

MissPetite2010
January 19th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Lol didn't know how else to post the title. I've heard mixed reviews that an itchy scalp can be the cause of hair growth or build up. The reason I'm asking, my hair just recently started itching. I get this every once in a while. Been taking ultra nourish for a lil over two weeks now. I usually wash my hair every 2-3 days. Sometimes every other day. As for the vitamins, nails look better but can't say much for growth yet. Just a lil. Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appeciated. Thanks in advance. Oh and my hair is naturally curly/wavy

furnival
January 20th, 2014, 01:01 AM
There are many conditions that cause an itchy scalp. Dryness, irritation, fungal infections, reaction to products, lice, seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff, allergic reactions... Hair growth? I doubt it. Hair grows constantly; why should it start causing itching all of a sudden? :p

jacqueline101
January 20th, 2014, 06:04 AM
In my pre lhc days I had a case of itchiness and dandruff. I didn't use any products in my hair. I couldn't figure out why this was happening. I was desperate and I told my friend about it. She said to put lotion on my scalp. I did and the flakes let up. The itching did too. I noticed my hair grew 2 inches this was over a month. I kept ignoring the itching. To this day I get the itchiness and dandruff but I don't lotion my scalp anymore.

HairFaerie
January 20th, 2014, 08:22 AM
My scalp starts to itch and I get build up if I don't wash it for over 2 days. I try to wash it every other day or no less than evry 2 days to avoid this problem. If the buildup/itch is too bad, I shampoo twice and then condition the ends, focusing on really scrubbing my scalp while I am washing it. If it gets too severe, I use Head and Shoulders or another medicated shampoo to stop the itch, but I try not to do that too often because it dries out my hair. Although, Head and Shoulders has come out with some pretty good all-in-one shampoo/conditioners that aren't as harsh as their original formula.
Also, I know some people cringe at this, but if the scalp building gets too severe and annoying, I make a sugar scrub (organic sugar, olive oil, castor oil, tea tree and lavender essential oil) and it works wonders! :)

spirals
January 20th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I get an itchy scalp, too, and I don't know why. I guess it's dandruff; I do have some flakes. My mom has sebhorrea, which is when for some reason the skin sloughs off more quickly than it should. I thought of that, but I don't have the redness that comes with that.
I do notice it's more itchy the week and a half before my period, so I guess the hormone shift causes favorable conditions for a bit of yeast overgrowth. I tend to have some other problems associated with that at the same time. My "cure" is to wash it more often at that time. Afterward, my skin calms down and I can go a few days between washes. I still get itchies, though.

bmcfarland
January 20th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I get those itchies every now and then. I just use them as an excuse for a scalp massage. :) I don't know what is causing my itchies. Possibly dry skin since I shampooed a few days ago and the weather has been very dry and windy. I've also began taking 2,000 mcg of biotin (first time). I like to think that it means my hair is growing! Haha...My wishful reasoning is that the skin itches during regrowth after a wound. (I'm just being hopeful. I doubt the two itchies are associated. I just tell myself they. 'Makes me feel good.)

lapushka
January 20th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Made any changes in your routine recently? Such as started CO washing or anything like that?

swearnsue
January 20th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Maybe the new vitamins are helping your hair grow extra fast and causing some itchiness? It could happen? Is it real itchy or a tingling type of itchy. Sometimes my scalp feels tingly and I think it's from an increase in circulation.