PDA

View Full Version : How much does your SO's opinion affect how you wear your hair?

Flournoy
January 19th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Just wondering after my girlfriend told me she likes my hair tied back after I'd been wearing it down around the house this evening.

HappyFoo
January 19th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I personally like to rebel, if my boyfriend tells me he likes my hair in a claw clip I'll wear it down and rub it in his face just to show him I'm a strong independent woman that don't need no man, hahahaha. It depends on what mood I'm in, sometimes I rebel like I just mentioned, and other times I oblige if I like the style too just to make him happy. Although I had an ex who told me not to grow out my hair, he liked it in a pixie, and I pretty much said forget your opinion on that ordeal.

In a nutshell, I oblige if I also like the look :)

Lostsoule77
January 19th, 2014, 10:53 PM
My DH doesn't really seem to have much of an opinion on my hair. If I like it I can do it. He has commented on a style or two. He hates my hair being everywhere. That's pretty much the extent of it. He does prefer long hair, although I don't know if he means this long. It's my hair though so I do what I like.

&rea
January 19th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I've asked for my SO's opinion several times. He says he doesn't have one. As long as I'm happy, he's happy. I've never done anything outrageous with my hair, not even coloring/highlighting. It has been between APL and waist length though out the majority of our relationship. My "big chop" chin length bob is probably the most drastic thing I've ever done with it and he was supportive of it. I once dated a guy for a very sort period of time. He suggested that I lighten it a few times. Even back then, I knew how bad that would be for it and didn't go with that suggestion. He also suggested that I start tanning. That was the beginning of the end haha.

Bodhimama
January 19th, 2014, 11:24 PM
It matters to me. I have been with my SO for 10 years now. I used to kinda disregard his opinion on my hair/clothing choices, but now kinda realize that he is really the only one other than myself that I have to please...most of the time I don't really care what other people think. Unfortunately I do sometimes find myself worrying about how other women will judge me, though I think that just comes down to the nature of women in general.

Islandgrrl
January 19th, 2014, 11:36 PM
If my hubby were to ever offer an opinion or express a preference as to how I wear my hair, I would listen. His opinion matters to me. He knows I won't cut it, and he's never suggested that I do. In fact when I've brought it up he's always said he didn't think it would be a good idea. :heart:

ErinLeigh
January 20th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Just wondering after my girlfriend told me she likes my hair tied back after I'd been wearing it down around the house this evening.

My SO is the most laid back considerate person I know.
He is also super supportive and doesn't ever push opinions on me.
That being said over the past 12 years I have learned his preferences even tho he keeps them to himself unless pushed really hard. For me asking favorite looks all the time probably wasn't the best idea. I want to look my best for him (ha he prob thinks since I spend 90percent of my time with hair oiled and bunned) and now I find am hesitant to do anything drastic since in my mind I think I know exactly what he likes. Its silly because what if he liked the drastic too and I am holding myself back.

Note to self.. Stop dragging out pictures of every cut, color and style ever had and pressing for opinions! I'm sure he is sick of hearing "what about bangs, red, brown, curly, straight, short,long???? " lol

joflakes
January 20th, 2014, 03:12 AM
I value my SOs opinion greatly. He really likes short hair on me, but I'll never cut it! :laugh: he offers advice on my up dos though, so I listen to him on that. :) and colour!

Tini'sNewHair
January 20th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Both me and my 6 year old daughter have long hair (my 6 year old's hair is at HIP and mine at MBL), my husbands complain is only that he finds hair everywhere so i try to minimise the mess by picking it up whenever i see strands around the house. Hes never complained about every single experiment i did on my hair in the past :p

I just remembered that i did dye it red for a while back because he said that he liked "red heads" :) Im back to my natural colour now :p

Avital88
January 20th, 2014, 03:39 AM
i will do it the way he likes it even if i do not.. this only for hairstyles, not cuts or color

MissBubble
January 20th, 2014, 03:48 AM
I would say not at all but I think it depends on the way he expresses his opinion.
I had an ex who was telling me all the time how much he likes short hair, shoulder length and above and he reminded me of this every time we were out and he would see a woman with hair he liked "look at how beautiful she looks" etc :confused:
He also wanted me to wear my hair up at least... My hair was not that long, about BSL. And he didnt like the color either...
Ofcourse I never listened to him and did none of it...

Now, my SO he never tells me what to do with my hair but if I do something that he likes more, he tells me how good I look so sometimes I try to do the style he likes more often.
But he'd never tell, cut your hair, change the color, look at how beautiful the other women are...

jacqueline101
January 20th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Mine man has never really said anything about a certain style. He did comb my hair once and done a good job. He likes combing it and seeing it down in the evenings. He loves it long and wants it to grow to classic length. My goal is tail bone.

wandlimb
January 20th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I'm afraid I ignore his opinion mostly - his idea of nice hair is big blown-back waves from the 80s. My hair won't do that without tremendous amounts of backcombing and hairspray, and even then it won't stay like that for long, and I can't be bothered with the tangles. I don't think he understands my hair is fine and flumpy.

He also wants me to dye it blonde but I said no :rolleyes: I like it the way it is.

Lyv
January 20th, 2014, 05:48 AM
My husbands opinion matters a lot to me and when he has a preference I usually wear it the way he likes at least once in a while. I wouldn't ever do something I don't like just because he wants me to though.

antikythera
January 20th, 2014, 06:01 AM
My BF likes it when I wear my hair down, but he does tease me about it 'attacking' him when we cuddle on the couch to watch a movie hehe.

cdonald2
January 20th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Mine loves when my hair is long. I originally cut it because of them insisting how short hair looks better. Big mistake. it grew out then i wrecked it with a perm... which is why its shoulder length now T____T IM NEVER GETTING A BIG CUT AGAIN.

Chamomile betty
January 20th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I know my DH loves my hair down. Every once in a while he will ask me to wear it down (I am an updo wearer). I do have to be 'having the right hair moment' for me to wear it down and he knows that lol. Sometimes, on the weekend, we when go out I'll wear my hair in a half up/half down style (his favorite). I just know he likes it long but overall he's not picky about when I wear it down.

Xylia
January 20th, 2014, 07:33 AM
My partner encourages me to do whatever I want to my hair, as well as in everything else. He's a bit of an unconventional person himself ( 30 year old dreads that he has to tie up so they won't drag the ground, multiple piercings and tattoos, eldergoth, etc.) He's also a professor, so his students are always are surprised to see someone who looks like him when they show up for their first day. He also loves to do my hair in whatever I dream up, so it's been all kinds of colors and in styles from bald to dreads to dreadhawks over the years. He likes the dreads the best and I 'm thinking of doing that again next year. I'm not sure yet because I also have the dream of a long gray braid. I keep thinking of how awesome gray dreads are, though. Whatever I decide I know he'll be all for it. He's just awesome. :agree:

arr
January 20th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I want to look nice for my husband so i do take his opinions into consideration. That being said, he's not very particular about length. He likes long, short, whatever. One thing he has told me though is that he likes some hair around the face since i have my hair up all the time. He prefers that more than all the hair being pulled back, so i do wear bangs and wispy pieces around the face. I know i would like both looks just fine but i go with the bangs since he likes it a lot.

Kelikea
January 20th, 2014, 07:44 AM
My HB loves my hair long, and prefers ponytails or braids. If he suggests one or the other, I'll usually oblige. He asks me not to cut bangs or get more than a trim. He will even trim it for me, to save money, but doesn't mind if I get it done, as long as they don't cut too much. Sometimes I mention wanting to color it, but he asks, "Why, when its such a pretty color naturally?" That makes me feel good:)

Syaoransbear
January 20th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I probably would have dyed my hair back to blonde if it wasn't for my husband insisting he prefers my natural color. I still think he's lying, though.

Aingeal
January 20th, 2014, 08:18 AM
I greatly value his opinion, but thankfully he is very encouraging. He says he likes my hair no matter how long or short I have it, but he prefers long. I wear it down once a week for him because that's what he likes. I also leave it down for bed once in a while as he says he loves being covered in it at night.

Rio040113
January 20th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Hard to say really, he likes 'long hair' but to him long is Waist ish, maybe a bit less, so to him my almost BCL hair is overkill already :lol: It makes me sad and a little insecure that he doesn't love my hair as unique part of me or find it sexy* but I know I'd be even more upset and insecure if I cut it short, so long it shall stay and bunned it shall be!

*(in a greek goddess or myth/fantasy/mermaid/princess/elf etc kind of way)

shutterpillar
January 20th, 2014, 08:23 AM
My husband prefers my hair down, but that's obviously not an option if I want to keep it protected from the wind and elements. I'll wear it down for him a few times a week (and of course it's down at the end of the day while I'm getting ready for bed) but most of the week it's up in a braid or a stick and he understands why.

As far as length... he likes it long, which is why he doesn't complain too much that I have to wear it up to protect it. ;) He doesn't care what color I make it... I think it's been every color under the sun during the time we've dated and been married.

Arciela
January 20th, 2014, 08:25 AM
I mostly do what I want with it and wear it however is comfortable. usually down as wearing it up usually hurts (I've tired many updos sadly, hair feels so heavy and its not even bsl yet....:( )

I know he prefers long hair and loves my natural color (brunettes are his favorite) so I guess it works out just fine :flower:

1nuitblanche
January 20th, 2014, 08:26 AM
DH's thoughts on my hair matter somewhat to me. The one he vocalizes most, though, is that he hates finding shed hairs everywhere. When I respond by suggesting I shave it all off, he tells me that he doesn't like short hair on women (although his mother had short hair up until recently, and a few weeks ago when I commented that I didn't think that a masculine short haircut looked as nice on an actress as her typical long hair or a more feminine pixie would, he defended her like crazy). So, I am more hesitant to go for a short hairstyle than I would be if he weren't around. I did cut about 15" off my hair a year ago, and he was a little disappointed but said it looks nice, and he likes that it is wavier now and that I can wear it down more often than before. I'd say that my hair is a compromise right now.

Recently I tried a new hairstyle, and he said it looked nice. Normally, I wouldn't do it again right away because I thought it would seem desparate or like I'm just living to please. Then, I thought about it and realized that he's my husband, I'd like to look good for him, and I like the hairstyle, so it makes sense to add it to my reperatoire.

kendraf
January 20th, 2014, 08:27 AM
my fiance is a lot like me - preference for being as close to our natural state as possible. So he really likes that I'm growing out my color and going the natural haircare route.

Scarlet_Heart
January 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I take it into consideration, but ultimately, I tend to rely more on what I find attractive on myself than what he finds attractive. Don't get me wrong, I want him to find me attractive, but the better I feel about myself, I feel the more attractive I am to others, if that makes sense.

He did not like when I was hennaing. He didn't hate it but he always implored me to go back to my natural ash brown. I would have hennaed forever if I hadn't had a bad reaction to it.

veryhairyfairy
January 20th, 2014, 08:56 AM
My OH is mostly indifferent to how my hair is styled. He likes it down, but I can tell he doesn't know how to move my hair around, and so gets frustrated when we cuddle and whatnot. His favorite (and mine) is twin english braids (it's the sweetest thing ever when he has his arm around my shoulders and is holding one of my braids!). I'm not really sure how he feels about buns, though.

His preferences definitely affect my hair style choice when I see him, but it really comes down to convenience for me more than anything. We're always cuddling, and buns get in the way of that, so I just keep it braided in one or two english braids when we're together. Besides, he musses my hair on purpose, and braids are easy to re-do. :)

I like this topic, it's neat to see how people's partners feel about their hair (and how people feel about their partner's opinion).

kendraf
January 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I have a friend whose BF likes white blonde bleached hair... so she has been bleaching her BSL hair to white for the past 2 years :(

She tried red recently and looked great with it, but she couldn't deal with the upkeep and I think her BF didn't like it, so she bleached it back and had to get a big trim because of it.

No offense to my fiance, but I would make him deal with my hair decisions because it's my hair :)

heidi w.
January 20th, 2014, 09:59 AM
None. I am single and always have been. My hair is my business anyway.
heidi w.

trolleypup
January 20th, 2014, 11:33 AM
We're pretty much in line with how we choose to style our hair...both being in the very long range. Up most of the time for the usual reasons, down sometimes for ourselves/each other.

truepeacenik
January 20th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Similar here, except my partner is just learning how to care for hair, rather than neglect and let it break off. His hair is too fragile for serious neglect and length.
He's gained six healthy inches over four years of my trimming and evening up his hemline. Blunt works, as he's mid back.
Once he gets near waist, we will talk about a goal length or look.

As for mine, there's a standing no dreads request.
He likes to see it down, and a half up is a happy compromise.
I do try to find some time for it to be down in the evenings.

Oddly, I'd love for him to learn to braid for his hair and mine. He looks great with braid waves, and likes the volume.

gnome82
January 20th, 2014, 12:35 PM
My husband prefers my natural hair colour so I am not bothering with dying it. Length wise he is supportive with me growing. As for how I wear my hair I do what I want with it :D and he is happy with it.

QuillEnchanted
January 20th, 2014, 01:01 PM
SO prefers my hair long and has said as much several times. He'd rather I didn't cut it, but would be fine if I decided I needed to.
I take his opinion into consideration, but we both know the final decision is mine (it is my hair, after all).

With his hair, we've talked about him growing it out and right now he's in that awkward phase where his hair just will not play nice (long enough that his natural waves are starting to show, but not long enough to get them to look nice) and he's deciding if he'll cut it short again or keep growing it. I would love to see him grow his hair, but the decision is definitely his.

We both offer and value eachother's opinions, but it is only ever one of several factors in the decision.

AmyBeth
January 20th, 2014, 01:04 PM
He never ever really mentioned my hair. It was always long and natural brunette. A few years ago, I big chopped and had lots of blonde highlights put in, but when I told him that I was planning to return to brunette and grow it out, he was very happy and told me that he preferred my natural hair. He likes it down better than up, but he understands why I always wear it up. If he wanted me to cut it or change the color, he'd have to get used to disappointment!:p

alexis917
January 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM
My answer to that would have to be...somewhat?
My current boyfriend compliments my hair in general, but doesn't understand styling, so doesn't say it looks better up/down/braided.
I've had previous boyfriends tell me they liked certain styles- an LOTR fan loved braids- and I would try to do those styles a little more often.
But if someone told me I "had" to do my hair a certain way for them, I definitely wouldn't do it. I don't need that!

Carolyn
January 20th, 2014, 03:50 PM
He's never expressed an opinion. I've never asked what his opinion might be because frankly I don't care what it is. So either he knows better than to say or he is totally oblivious to hair and doesn't give a crap. My hair is mine and it is for me. I never talk about my hair and just do what ever I want with it. He can go play all the golf he wants as long as I'm not involved in it. Fair enough! Separate hobbies equal happy people in my world.

leslissocool
January 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
He doesn't care, he would comment if he dislikes my shampoo and conditioner's smell and that's it.

MultiCultiCurly
January 20th, 2014, 06:24 PM
A lot....the thing is, over the years, we just got to the point where we pretty much only hang out with each other (not that we're opposed to friends, lol, it's just that you lose some, or most, when they're single and childless and you're not--oh well! whatevs). Because of that, and being a current stay-at-home mom (I get to start working in 4 months in my career--yay!), I wear my hair very much up and covered when at home with our little one, but as soon as I know he's on his way home, I take my hair down for him. He likes it long and down and curly, and so do I. I just compromise when I'm trying to wear it up more by creating nice updos that we both like (and he likes those too). Though, sometimes at home I take it down briefly because our little girl has curls very similar to mine, and she likes seeing my hair down, and sometimes begs, lol.

Quixii
January 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM
A little. Ultimately I do whatever I want with it, but if he's like, "Oh gosh, I wish you would wear your hair down today." or something, I might oblige. Luckily, the big "issue" (length) we agree on - he likes it long and I like it long. If he wanted me to cut it, I'd tell him "no way." Other things like how I'm wearing my hair for the next couple hours really doesn't matter much to either of us.

AspenSong
January 20th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hubby doesn't get much say in anything hair wise. He doesn't say much anyway because he likes it longer and understands why I keep it up and such. He is NOT a fan of shorter hair on me, which is funny because it was chin length and above occasionally when we got together. But I figure where I'm trying to care for it a certain way, etc...unless it's a special situation, I'm just going to do what I want/need to do for my hair in the end.

woodswanderer
January 20th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Not much. DH doesn't have too many opinions about my hair. He just prefers that I switch up how I style it from time to time...loose, buns, headbands, etc, but I would have to ask to get his opinion. He rarely volunteers one about my hair.

sumidha
January 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Hmm. Well, we've come to a sort of mutual agreement that I won't have thick, blunt cut bangs, and he won't have a mustache (shudder) so I think that counts. We both like long hair, but it's not like he'd be mad if I woke up tomorrow and cut it all off. I know he really likes red hair, but he's never even slightly hinted to me that I should change my hair color. Heh, he can be pretty smart sometimes.

GoddesJourney
January 20th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I haven't had an SO in a really long time. However, I historically do like to please whoever I'm with as long as they are not too pushy or controlling. I will pretty much do whatever I want unless they absolutely hate it, and take their opinions into respected consideration unless I absolutely hate it.

inanna
January 20th, 2014, 11:11 PM
When I first met my husband, I had a pixie cut. He encouraged me to grow my hair a bit longer, I think mostly because he wanted to be able to grab my hair properly. I don't think he knew he was creating a hair monster! ;)

My crazy hair obsession is mostly my business, though. He will offer compliments on my appearance, including my hair, and seems genuinely amazed every time I do a braided updo. So far I've heard no complaints about it starting to get too long or being up too often, but if he had any comments I'd certainly consider them.

noludoru
January 21st, 2014, 12:51 AM
I have a friend whose BF likes white blonde bleached hair... so she has been bleaching her BSL hair to white for the past 2 years :(

That pretty much described me and my ex. I realize no one else will agree with this, but I basically let him make my hair decisions. I could go any way with my hair, and when it was time for the salon trip, I asked him what he thought I should do. It was long and black when I met him, then I chopped it all off. When we were together I asked him if he preferred black or red - he said red and short. There it stayed for a year or two. I grew it out and dyed it dark brown because he wanted it black.

Now I'm in CO and we're no longer together, so it's natural and getting longer. We've visited and he doesn't like it a bit. My response is that he can stuff it - I want it loooooong.

noludoru
January 21st, 2014, 12:52 AM
oooops. double post.

askan
January 21st, 2014, 03:28 AM
My dear boyfriend is good at neutral comments like "you have a braid" and "you have curls in your hair". It's quite deliberating. But I know he doesn't like blunt bangs for some reason, but as they don't suit me anyway it's no issue... He had dreadlocks that were tailbone length when we met, so I can't imagine him being opposed to long hair :D

melusine963
January 21st, 2014, 10:27 AM
My husband likes my hair long, but even if he didn't I'd still grow it for myself. He never comments on it except to complain that I never wear it down, which I suppose is a compliment.

ManeSqueeze
January 21st, 2014, 12:35 PM
My SO prefers it long and down, and he really enjoys it when it has braid waves in it because he thinks it looks like "super soft puppy ears." I personally like it down as well, but I normally don't wear it down because of the elements and such. His opinion doesn't really affect anything about my hair or appearance in general, although if I decide to do a drastic change I tend to warn him first; surprised reactions are easy to confuse with negative reactions.

PF Graham
January 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
From the other side of the question; when I was married to a long-haired beauty, I would ask her to always wear it down - results: probably less then 50% of the time - BUT, it was a good 50%!

- P

karenpetal
January 22nd, 2014, 07:23 AM
I usually listen to my SO advice unless it is damaging to my hair. My previous partner used to love my hair in a high ponytail, I would tie it sometimes

Merlin
January 24th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I have asked Mrs M if she has any preferences as to how I get my hair cut, but her reply is always "however you like" - on the other side of the coin Mrs M never takes my views into consideration as to what she does with her hair; though she does like it when I like it and say it's pretty :-)

Thumper
January 24th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I personally am getting sick and tired of the blond coloring I do. My original hair color is ash, but I go lighter AND hide the grey. I prefer to go dark, like a beautiful chocolate brown! But DH has made it pretty clear he likes blond. I really don't know what the big deal is :shrug:.

henné
January 24th, 2014, 04:38 PM
I always consider my DH's opinion, but I would not cut or grow my hair into a length I myself wouldn't like … How's that for an answer :D

henné
January 24th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I personally am getting sick and tired of the blond coloring I do. My original hair color is ash, but I go lighter AND hide the grey. I prefer to go dark, like a beautiful chocolate brown! But DH has made it pretty clear he likes blond. I really don't know what the big deal is :shrug:.

If you're sick of it, change it. You've kept it blond for long enough, now it's time for you to have a little fun ;) That'd be my two cents (totally unasked for, of course) ...

mamaherrera
January 24th, 2014, 04:56 PM
My husband ruins my self esteem (that is low anyways). I'm growing it long, but he says I look better with short hair, because it has more volume and does a "flowering" thing around my face. then he says I look better with bangs to hide my big forehead. So pretty much he makes me feel ugly. How's that for an answer?? Maybe he's right, he does have a good sense of style, but I figure if God made me with a big forehead and a long face, I shouldn't have to hide them. Or never have long hair just cuz of my genetic makeup.

Bedhead
January 24th, 2014, 05:57 PM
None. I do what I want. BUT I try a little harder to make it look nice than when I'm single.

ErinLeigh
January 25th, 2014, 12:41 AM

I am the same way. Chocolate would be so much easier than the blond I know mine likes too. I have gone darker a few times and I can tell hes not digging it near as much as blond.
I have decide to wean it on slowly. I am going to go a darker blond all over instead of adding highlights to my 8N color. From there I will decide if I want to go 7, 6 etc..

ErinLeigh
January 25th, 2014, 12:43 AM
My husband ruins my self esteem (that is low anyways). I'm growing it long, but he says I look better with short hair, because it has more volume and does a "flowering" thing around my face. then he says I look better with bangs to hide my big forehead. So pretty much he makes me feel ugly. How's that for an answer?? Maybe he's right, he does have a good sense of style, but I figure if God made me with a big forehead and a long face, I shouldn't have to hide them. Or never have long hair just cuz of my genetic makeup.

You're probably amazingly gorgeous. Insecure Men do that crap so you feel no one will want you but them.

Sofialu
January 27th, 2014, 05:11 AM
My husband doesn't like my natural waves but I tend to straighten my hair because neither do I. Sometimes though if I leave it and it dries nice and the waves fall right around my face then I'll leave it wavy until the next wash, knowing he doesn't like it but I pretty much don't care if he doesn't like it. It's me who has to be happy with me, not anybody else

cranberrymoonz
January 27th, 2014, 05:43 AM
My boyfriend likes my hair short. I don't. End of story.

He doesn't comment all that much on it. Exept for when it's in curlers or looks ridiculous otherwise.

Kherome
January 27th, 2014, 06:02 AM
DHs opinion on my hair matters about as much as a fart in a wind storm. That is to say, not at all. It's growing out of MY head, and I have to deal with it, so I'll do as I like with it. I love him dearly, but if something like hair is a problem in a relationship, well then...I hate to break it to you but there are some bigger underlying issues there!

Frankly, if he ever suggested I color or perm it or straighten it, I would be incensed. How gross and horrible can you be to tell another person that the way they look naturally isn't good, or good enough? That is not a good man IMO. I expect to be loved for me, not for my outer shell. I love my DH whether he is fat or thin, bald or with a head full of hair. I expect the same, because I deserve it, just like anyone else does.

Frankly, for me, people put WAY too much thought and emphasis on the external anyway. I'm more concerned with things that matter in the long run, not whether or not my outfit is "fashionable" or if I'm wearing the right "color palette" for my skin tone. (Whaaaaat?)

Thankfully DH is a good man. He loves me and has respect for me and would never suggest that my natural state is somehow inferior and should be changed. He has grumbled about clogged drains a few times, and prefers I keep my hair contained at night after the time he woke up gagging on it. Haha! That was super weird and then super hilarious all at the same time. (Before I bunned or braided at bedtime too) But that is all he has ever said about my hair other than "It looks nice."

Long story short, you look the way you look. Your hair is the color/texture it is. I don't do chemicals like dye and make-up. That stuff isn't fit to touch humans IMO. And I'm one of those people who thinks make-up is fake, and I don't do fake. My husband has always been supportive of that, and I'm grateful. Neither of us makes it a point to judge or discuss other people's choices or appearance, (we certainly don't do it to each other) and we expect the same respect in return.

Leise22
January 27th, 2014, 06:05 AM
For now my SO has always been supportive in all my hair decisions.
I did henna for the first time a couple of days ago, i told him i was a bit scared of getting green or bright orange hair (i did a strand test, but i still was kind of scared, being the first time), and he simply said "I bet you would look cute even with green hair". :D

Kherome
January 27th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mamaherrera:

You're probably amazingly gorgeous. Insecure Men do that crap so you feel no one will want you but them.

Yeah I have to agree with Erin...anyone who tears down someone they claim to love, well, they are the one who has problems, not you! Don't internalize that.

cat11
January 27th, 2014, 09:42 AM
He likes my hair so we're all good. It was shoulder when we got together, then chin, and now thats it getting longer he likes it too. He would never say anything negative about it even if I asked though, the closest is that I can tell he doesn't think its a good idea to dye it, he always reminds me of why I don't want to when I get tempted (which is good.)

As for how I wear it, he compliments it most when I wear it down or when I wear it in two braids. He really likes my hair in two braids for some reason, everytime I wear it like that he says it looks good. (so do other people, I always get compliments when I wear my hair like that. Which is cool because I like it too and it keeps it out of my way. I hate when people compliment my hair on a day I don't like it myself, its a pet peeve)

So I guess he really only effects how I wear my hair by giving me confidence and also I wear it down on purpose when we're spending time together because I think he likes it and I want him to touch it lol. I guess it feels a little special because I don't usually wear it all the way down most places since it blows everywhere or gets in my face.

I think if somebody your with says anything about your hair other than a compliment it's out of line because if you don't have something nice to say why say it at all, and I know I would never want to say anything bad about his hair (straight, between APL/BSL blonde) even if it wasnt godlike (Which it is, it looks like gold to me) because I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings or make him think I thought it was ugly. If you care about someone and love them you should want them to love themselves, too.

Bruiser
January 27th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I met my husband the evening after I bleached my hair blonde (naturally I'm medium/dark brown) thinking he must prefer blondes I kept it up for 5 years, I liked it but hated the hassle. Two kids later I couldn't handle the hassle of getting it done not to mention caring for damaged hair so I went back to my natural color. The honeymoon is over I'm letting myself go. Lol.

AliceRuth
January 28th, 2014, 11:58 AM
My boyfriend has only seen my hair in various stages of just-to-shoulder to really short pixie. I like it if he notices that it looks different or I have it a particular way, but it doesn't affect me how I have it. I think he's just sick of me asking if it looks any longer! :)

Covet
January 28th, 2014, 03:31 PM
My boyfriend isn't a fan of long hair at all but he loves my curls. My hair isn't that long now but when it is I have no intention of cutting it if he expresses displeasure lol.

EmmAutumn
January 28th, 2014, 03:41 PM
My boyfriend is ok with everything i do and don't do with my hair and he likes that i'm growing it long, so that's nice :) He's seen me with all kinds of colours and styles and the comment is always "looks nice". So yeah, i don't think he cares a lot about how i wear my hair and i'm glad about that.

Bombadillo
January 28th, 2014, 03:49 PM
My wife HATES my hair long. Once in a while I tell her that I'm thinking of cutting it (because I do get those thoughts after 15 years of buzz cuts) and that makes her happy for a while. As long as she doesn't bat at it too much I'm good. I have been avoiding tying it back around her because she has a special dislike of that but now that it is getting longer I need to tie it out of my eyes and lately my mouth. I do let her opinions guide some of my styling but that is just because I don't want her to cut off her now MBL hair, which looks so nice but she doesn't like the maintenance of; at least we are on a two-way street and one spouse isn't overly dominate.

Migranny
January 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM
My hubby could care less about my hair. I could cut it all off and change the color and he would not notice!

0xalis
January 28th, 2014, 06:08 PM
My SO doesn't really care about my hair but knows that I care about it a lot so he makes a point to compliment it and play with it (gently) when it's down. ♥
I try to keep it up most of the time, especially when we're cuddling, because it gets caught in his glasses and tickles his face! [I also hate when he lays on it!!! >:/]

Kome
January 28th, 2014, 06:50 PM
A lot... they were both okay (I am poly) with me cutting it, but they prefer it long... as do I. I even tried to get my hair a lighter red because I thought it's what he wanted. Stupid me. I damaged the crap out of it and had to chop a lot off, which is why I ended up cutting it all off for a change.

sunrider_bby
January 29th, 2014, 12:36 AM
I personally like to rebel, if my boyfriend tells me he likes my hair in a claw clip I'll wear it down and rub it in his face just to show him I'm a strong independent woman that don't need no man, hahahaha. It depends on what mood I'm in, sometimes I rebel like I just mentioned, and other times I oblige if I like the style too just to make him happy.

my husbands complain is only that he finds hair everywhere so i try to minimise the mess by picking it up whenever i see strands around the house. Hes never complained about every single experiment i did on my hair in the past :p

I can totally relate to these hahahaha. My SO loves when I have my hair down and deep parted at the side so my hair cover my forehead as in a fake side bangs. When we started going out I cut my hair APL with layers and side bangs.So I guess it reminds him of the begining of our relatioship. <3

He doesn't complained about any of my hair experiments. Even when I was stretching washes and wore my hair greassy for two days. I am very happy about that. He likes it down, and long, but I don't know if he likes it really long. I'll wait to see. Last year I learned about not heat curling methods and he loves when I curl my hair in any way. And half ups. About my hair colour, he likes brunettes so I'm lucky again.