PDA

View Full Version : Hair dry no matter what I do! help!

VixenWolfMare
January 19th, 2014, 08:40 PM
so pretty much scene November my hair has been dryer than dry. I have tryed everything but with no luck. I have a good deal of breakage from it now :( also i had a horrible shed and now have all these patches of short hair around my hair line and i swear split ends have been breeding like rabbits in there sleep. my hair is like velcro no matter what i do even if i keep it in an up do all day. I have been keeping it up so much i have caused myself scalp pain! Are there any treatments i can do to make it any better? Any help is LOVED!

RancheroTheBee
January 19th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Okay, what kind of routine are you using right now? Include the whole thing; what shampoo, conditioner, oil/leave-in, how you handle it after it's washed, how you handle it day to day. I had desert dry hair until I figured out I needed way more oil and that sulphates weren't my friend, for example.

alexis917
January 19th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I'd also like to point out that oils aren't actually moisturizing, they just seal in existing moisture. So if your hair is extremely dry, oiling it might not better it's condition. Oil after a moisture treatment, though, and you're in the clear ;)

Wildcat Diva
January 19th, 2014, 10:04 PM
That LOC method thing seems a sound technique. Have you tried that?

ErinLeigh
January 19th, 2014, 10:52 PM
The LOC method helps a lot.
As far as oils I really like Avocado Oil. Argan helps as well.

Would you care to share you full routine so better suggestions can be made?

MissPetite2010
January 19th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Not sure if u tried this yet, but recently I started using the dove moisture shampoo, the new one. I think my hair fell in love with it. If hair could talk I'm sure it would thank me for it. It helped my thick coarse hair become very soft. Hope everyone's tips will help ya out. Good luck! :)

ErinLeigh
January 20th, 2014, 02:28 AM
so pretty much scene November my hair has been dryer than dry. I have tryed everything but with no luck. I have a good deal of breakage from it now :( also i had a horrible shed and now have all these patches of short hair around my hair line and i swear split ends have been breeding like rabbits in there sleep. my hair is like velcro no matter what i do even if i keep it in an up do all day. I have been keeping it up so much i have caused myself scalp pain! Are there any treatments i can do to make it any better? Any help is LOVED!

Do you use silicones or no?
I have suggestions for cones and no cone stuff but not sure which to advise.

Regardless try adding a leave in conditioner to damp hair and then sealing it all in with cones or oils. That helps

For a basic starter tho I would clarify my hair and then do an SMT. Then do weekly honey cowashes. It brings moisture to my hair anyway. Guess how you like it or not would depend if you like humectants.
My hair when ultra dry responds really well to them.

I would love to know what products you use currently

ErinLeigh
January 20th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Not sure if u tried this yet, but recently I started using the dove moisture shampoo, the new one. I think my hair fell in love with it. If hair could talk I'm sure it would thank me for it. It helped my thick coarse hair become very soft. Hope everyone's tips will help ya out. Good luck! :)

When I was using cones I loved this shampoo and conditioner.
I love dove products. Their detangle with argan is nice too. Very very light.

Anje
January 20th, 2014, 08:30 AM
For a basic starter tho I would clarify my hair and then do an SMT. Then do weekly honey cowashes. It brings moisture to my hair anyway. Guess how you like it or not would depend if you like humectants.
My hair when ultra dry responds really well to them.
Seconding this. My quick fix for most people who are dealing with dry hair is clarifying shampoo, all the way to the ends, followed by an SMT (link is in my siggy). It doesn't work for everyone (nothing ever does), but it addresses two of the major causes for dryness in one fell swoop, while the whole exercise can be done in well less than an hour.

Scarlet_Heart
January 20th, 2014, 08:41 AM
My advice would be to do a clarifying wash, then towel (or whatever fabric you prefer) -dry your hair. In the palm of your hand rub together a pea sized amount of petroleum jelly and 1-2 drops (maximum) of glycerine and then work into the length (not scalp!) of your hair. Comb it through and either let it air dry or braid it and let it dry over night. That's what I do for my thirsty hair. It seemed for a while there like no oil known to man was satisfying my thirsty hair and if I overdid it, it would just be greasy. But the PJ and glycerine keep the dryness and static at bay. Both of those things are very inexpensive at the drug store. Everyone's hair is different of course, so your results may vary. But this has been working great for me.

YamaMaya
January 20th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Keeping it up to the point of pain is counter productive, if it starts to hurt, take it down or you may suffer from traction alopecia. I have been struggling with dry hair all winter, and I found the one thing that really works is oiling the hair right after a shower while it's still wet, not a lot, just enough to get all over most of the hair, then I use my TT to spread it evenly.

ExpectoPatronum
January 20th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I've found that spritzing my hair with rosemary tea and then sealing with a very light coat of oil has really helped me combat dryness in my hair.

lapushka
January 20th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I'll link the LOC method of styling hair below:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167&highlight=method

pri108
January 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I haven't used a moisturizer on my hair in 4 years now and my hair is not too bad. oils do seriously help.

pri108
January 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Hi What is LOC?

pri108
January 20th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Got it sorry i am new here don't know any of the terminology

Hi What is LOC?

heidi w.
January 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM
What is your hair type? Curly hair needs a LOT more moisture than straight hair. So much so it seems as though nothing oiling wise works. What is your routine? How do you wash your hair? Answer some simple questions and you'll have a lot better feedback.
heidi w.

pri108
January 20th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Hi,

To get rid of split ends and dry hair i quit hair dryer, hair brush/detangler, hair colouring and smoking. I try to eat healthy with plenty of fruits and vegetables, milk and eggs. fish helps big time. hope that helps.

ErinLeigh
January 20th, 2014, 02:06 PM
http://allthingsonatural.blogspot.com/2011/06/lets-talk-hair-emollients-for-shiny.html

maybe this can help?
seems you get to get moisture in and hold it. THis is why many have success with the LOC method.

VixenWolfMare
January 20th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Okay, what kind of routine are you using right now? Include the whole thing; what shampoo, conditioner, oil/leave-in, how you handle it after it's washed, how you handle it day to day. I had desert dry hair until I figured out I needed way more oil and that sulphates weren't my friend, for example.

I braid my hair every night. Every morning i wake up and i use miracle 7 leave in mist to detangle ( i have been doing this for years my hair LOVES it.) and i detangle with the white madora comb, then i use i widu brush to remove tangle any left over tangles. I have a mason person and a white boar kent brush to move oils around. then I put my hair up and leave it like that until i get out of work. I use oils (coconut avocado and argan seem to be what my hair likes best.) i was my hair as little as i can get away with. when i was it i use ion repair solutions products witch are the only thing my hair likes. i only put a small amount of shampoo on top of my head. i only condition the body never my scalp. i clarify and hot oil my hair when i need to. I really hate over night conditioning but sometimes i do that... I have a aquis towel witch is the only towel i use in my hair. i think thats it...