PDA

View Full Version : My hair story…any suggestions/tips?

LScott317
January 19th, 2014, 10:41 AM
This is a repost from the "i'm new" section, so i'm sorry if you read it already!:

Hello, My name is Lauren and i've been lurking for awhile now as well. I always had amazing hair that I totally took for granted - until two years ago when it started falling when I came off birth control. It would fall for three months, stop for three months, fall for three months, etc. for about a year and half. Fortunately I had a lot of hair to start with, and I would say I lost a third of it at its worst. Over the last six months the shedding has mostly stopped since i've gotten my thyroid medication and iron levels right. Every now and then i'll have a day where I shed a lot, but my average is about 50 hairs/day (yes, I've been counting). My thickness is *almost* back to normal, with a few sparse spots left and some random tufts of regrowth. Sometimes my scalp really itches and tingles - I hope to attribute this to regrowth, or possibly some of the vitamins I take, but it drives me nuts and scares me that i'm going to go bald (dramatic, I know). Daily I take a prenatal multivitamin with 2,000 IU vitamin D, iron, omegas, thyroid meds and adrenal support. On most days I take a probiotic, biotin, vitamin B12, & 1,000 mg. vitamin C. I use Ketokonazole shampoo 2%, organic aloe vera conditioner, Loreal triple resist leave in tx and rusk 12 in 1 leave in conditioner every other day when I wash. My length is at my mid-back. I'm looking forward to getting more tips on how to take the best care of my hair and help it to recover more fully!

SleepyTangles
January 19th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Welcome, Lauren :flower:
As a (former) sufferer of iron deficiency anemia, I know it may be hard to wait for your hair to be like that. Expecially if they were beautiful before.
Just make yourself comfortable, pamper your hair a bit and wait: you are doing everything right (I don't know the products you are using, but they sound fine!). Maybe, a wide teethed comb would help you detangling your hair even more gently :); also, using protective styles at night or a satin pillowcase can help you reduce broken hairs/mechanical damage.
If I were in you, I'd maintain for a while, just to give the new growth some time to catch up and even out your hemline.

LScott317
January 19th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the reassurance! I've been using a satin pillowcase for years and years - I love it so much and even take it on vacations! It's great for preventing wrinkles on your skin too :o

I've shed more than normal this week - not sure why? The week before was great, my max shed day was 60 hairs, this week I've had two days where I shed close to 100 hairs, along with some 10 - 15 hairs on non-wash days. So annoying!

spidermom
January 19th, 2014, 02:40 PM
100 shed hairs a day is considered totally normal. I've never counted my shed hairs (gross idea to me), but I'm sure there are days when I lose that many hairs, even more at the end of summer. Be careful taking vitamin supplements. Vitamins and minerals are supposed to be in balance and come mainly from your diet. Anything extra is either going to be peed out or become toxic to some organ in your body. You don't want that!