PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for 2b-c hair

Bambi
January 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Hi everybody!

So to the question...my hair is 2b-c and mbl and I have started to love my natural texture, which is good, but my hair has most volume from the ears down while "the crown" is more flat...the dreaded pyramid look...should I get some layers without touching the longest parts? To get some more movement?

Thanks.

lapushka
January 19th, 2014, 10:32 AM
With gaining more length, that dreaded pyramid slowly vanishes. You could get some layers, but you have to love layers! Stylists can go crazy on you. There are two methods that you can do yourself, called "compact cuts". Wouldn't recommend these for under BSL hair, though! One method is making a ponytail on the top of your head (long layers) and snipping a bit off. The other method is making a ponytail on the top of your forehead (short layers) and snipping a bit off.

Kina
January 19th, 2014, 10:40 AM
If your goal is length, then I'd say no. Try the curly girl method of of piling your hair on the top of your head while it dries. It will allow the hair to dry with out the weight on the length and you'll retain more volume. Also, a U cut hemline will cut down on the pyramid look.

SleepyTangles
January 19th, 2014, 10:42 AM
In my opinion, layers worsen the pyramid thing! I have old photos of me with a bob, or with layered shoulder hair... I still cringe! Anything shorter than shoulder is a big NO on my 2b texture.

However, maybe your roots are losing a bit of volume due to the recent growth... they were behaving nicely before, like BSL or APL? If the answer is yes, a bit of layering may allow them to be fuller on the roots. If the answer is no, probably the weight of the hair isn't the culprit, so layering isn't going to help :flower
I myself I'm considering some long layers for this reason, but not before I reach solid waist.

I absolutely quote Kina over the U hemline, and that the layers aren't nice while you are still growing your hair!

Bambi
January 19th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Thank you for your answers!

Well when my hair is shorter I have more volume on top, that is true.. I've had layers before and didn't mind them, one of my best friends is my hairdresser and she always do as I wish( she is a fellow long hair with fairy-tale ends), and she is a curly herself.
I bought some clips today to trying Piling my hair on top as Kina suggested...hehehe my first goal is waist-lenght fyi:).

TiaKitty
January 19th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I will also suggest waiting until it gets longer! The pyramid will go away, then... and if it doesn't, like lapushka says, the compact cut works really well.

Firefox7275
January 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Do everything upside down from washing to diffusing, many different types of clips you can try from Curly Hair Solutions roller jaw clamps to the Deva clips.

Mya
January 19th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Layers only make hair look thinner. If you want more volume, keep your hair in a loose ponytail (or in a claw clip) on the top of your head when you sleep and when you let it air dry. If you blow dry it, do it with your head upside down.

meteor
January 19th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I agree with the idea that you have to like the look of layers to go for it. Layers are very hard to grow out. Also, layers in my case made my ends look feather-like and dry, as if I had slightly thinning or splitting ends, even though there were no splits. I guess, if you like the look and have a great stylist, you can certainly get great results from layering hair.

The "triangle" look is something that wavies and curlies have to deal with, but it's also something that gives us that voluminous big hair and we almost never get that "lank" look that straighties often complain about.
You can try to get more volume at the roots, by doing head massages, washing and combing hair upside down, putting hair in braids, buns, rag curls for the night. This helps counteract the "triangle" look a bit.

Bambi
January 19th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Thank you for the new answers!
I will try your suggestions and also play around with the way I part my hair and see if it helps..I wish I could get my hands on Deva clips but they don't ship to Sweden..maybe with a little bit of luck I can find something similar:).

leslissocool
January 19th, 2014, 03:49 PM
My pyramid hair went completely away once I hit waist. Layers will help too, but I had to get A LOT of them (very short layers too) to get it to not look that way.

jeanniet
January 19th, 2014, 05:15 PM
The curly girl method doesn't recommend actually piling your hair on top of your head to dry, but just clipping the crown area to give some lift. I only clip in two areas closer to the front, and use jaw clips, but I also plop for about 10 minutes first. Clipping will give a surprising amount of volume without much effort.

durgidog
January 19th, 2014, 08:48 PM
My wave pattern starts just above my ears and the hair higher than that is sleeker and softer. I avoid conditioning above my ears and when I seal with oil (my only leave in) I only apply it from the ears down, this gives me better volume on top. (My hair is layered and I have long bangs.)

MultiCultiCurly
January 19th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I never had the flat roots problem (usually the opposite was my problem--trying to get my hair to lay down nicer! lol), but I understand the triangle hair thing, as a curly it can get extreme in that sense. I ended up cutting longish layers while my hair was around bsl, and though it "breaks up" the triangle and creates movement that looks nice, I REALLLLY wish I didn't get them or at least waited until I reached full waist length (right now only my longest layers hit around waist). I am currently trying to grow those layers out, and though I can style it nicely and work with it, I wish I could have the stunning old-world fairytale look of all one-length long curls. And yes, it seems when you're trying to grow out your shorter layers, it takes forever....

Bambi
January 20th, 2014, 06:00 AM
I have a squareish face so I kind of need the volume, which I don't really have atm...this is so hard! I feel like a Cocker-Spaniel dog if that makes sense;). I love to have big and crazy hair so I'm just confused right now...

Arciela
January 21st, 2014, 06:10 AM
ugh I have pyramid hair too atm! I cut my hair last may to get rid of terrible bleach damage in the front...its now past my chin and looks awful haha I guess I'll have to wait patiently for it to grow out and go away....I mostly just wear it up or in halfups kind of helps :flower:

kendraf
January 21st, 2014, 09:00 AM
I just got a lot of layers put in to help distribute the volume (fine hair = major flat top), but honestly I'm already thinking about cutting them out :rolleyes:

Bambi
January 25th, 2014, 03:05 AM
So I've decided to wait, I tried clipping my hair with duck clips(what I had on hand) successfully. Now atleast I can get to the conclusion that it's the water that weighs my hair down( it takes looong time to dry).

Thank you so much for your input guys!

Sofialu
January 26th, 2014, 06:17 PM
My hair does the same as yours Bambi which is why I end up straightening it so much more than leaving it natural. I am curious though as to how/ why the pyramid effect goes away the longer hair gets? If that is what happens then I hope I won't want to straighten my hair once it is past APL :)