PDA

View Full Version : Think your hair is bad? This should cheer you up!

LifeisAdventure
September 10th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I just found an interesting article that I hope will make many of us who have those "Oh my god why can't my hair just do what I want it to do?!" moments feel better... or perhaps provide some clues for a few other LHCers!

Uncombable Hair Syndome:
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/04/1343978.aspx

I especially like the references to German fairy tales... neat!!

Enjoy all! :puppy:

ETA: Arghhhh I hate typos in headings! Please fix it mods, please? Pretty please with a dancing cheese :cheese: on top?

Calista
September 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Some of the people who commented don´t seem to have uncombable hair syndrome, but simply don´t know how to handle their (presumably curly) hair. We should introduce them to LHC. ;)

*BelievingAgain
September 10th, 2008, 02:54 AM
WOW. I love learning something new each day, I also love to experience things that make me realise how blessed I am! Thanks for that LifeisAdventure! :flower:

LifeisAdventure
September 10th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Happy to provide *BelievingAgain! :) And yes, I agree Calista, some of the commenters seem to have nooooo clue that they're actually the culprits mangling their own hair!

Shanarana
September 10th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Interesting....perhaps they will come up with a pill for that syndrome.

I must say....the picture wasn't much help. lol

Samikha
September 10th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Did anyone comment and leave a link or something? Might be presumptious, but that poor girl who said that combing just made her hair bigger needs help:o

LifeisAdventure
September 10th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Maybe this picture is more helpful, Shanarana?

http://bp3.blogger.com/_LuFzYLHxqP4/SGQSLzLy2uI/AAAAAAAAAU8/imqDCCwL1gA/s400/hair_124_01.jpg
(Picture credit goes to a blog called Chunk Like Tuna)

Shanarana
September 10th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Oh my, but he sure is a doll. Now I can see what the deal is.

Arctic_Mama
September 10th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Um, yeah, that kid has a LEGITIMATE beef with his hair, not just poor care. Wow!

longhairedfairy
September 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
"The original story was probably based on children who had ectodermal dysplasia,” says Orentreich. “These kids were observed back then with a much greater degree of ignorance with regard to medicine and health. If their hair was wild, people thought the kid was also wild.”

This reminded me of something. Traditionally, in Korea people thought that curly hair was a sign of a bad temper or wild personality. In Japan curly hair used to be considered animal-like and people would straighten it as much as possible. I think there was a similar belief in China.
It's interesting that we had similar beliefs in the west about red hair.

JessTheMess
September 10th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Awe!!! that kid is adorable!!!!! I wonder if Alber Einstein had that syndrome?

sherigayle
September 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I used to babysit for a little girl with hair like that. It was actually pretty soft and felt like cotton candy. You just couldn't do anything with it. Putting it in a pony tail or even a headband made her head hurt. I sure hope she grew out of it.

NiAosSi
September 10th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Awe!!! that kid is adorable!!!!! I wonder if Alber Einstein had that syndrome?

Hmm, you might be on to something. When I think Albert Eintein, I think "Hair and E=MC squared". :D

Now, I know better than to tell DD " I can't do anything with this knotty hair!

theanti
September 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
and I thought my hair was unruly! LOL

Aronomy
September 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
http://162.129.70.33/images/uncombable_hair_syndrome_1_050113.jpg

Little_Bird
September 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I had read about this disorder once, it surely is creepy for all of us long hair lovers.

But when you think about it, there are some african people (we call this hair type "carapinha" here in Portugal) have uncombable hair too, or if not, it's very dificult to manage and to grow out. When you think about it, long hair is kinda reserved to some people in it's very true form, you really have to make an effort to grow it and keep it healthy, clean, soft and good looking...

I think we're all kinda blessed about out hair :flower: Naturally, it's something that comes from ourselves tough.