View Full Version : My hair started falling since I switched to filtered water :(

ayyak
January 18th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Hello

For a month and a half I switched washing my from "regular water" to filtered water. I usually just wash it 2-3 a week then softly pat it with my towel to get rid of excess water and then let it air dry. I usually don't style it or anything, I just leave as it is.

Since I started this process till this day I'm noticing an increasing amount of hair falling, at first I thought its my hair just adjusting to the water but as the weeks go by my hair keeps falling. My hair is also very dry and is filled with dandruff (seriously, I just washed my hair and while drying it I see dandruff in my hair).

You have to know since I started this process there have been few changes occurring during that time...
1) Winter started
2) I started a new diet ) but no longer on it (back to my old diet *before my hair started to fall*)
3) I've changed my shampoo to a dandruff shampoo (I was using Mane N Tail the original one and it was great but then changed it to their dandruff shampoo (2 in 1).
4) Had a haircut??

I'm not sure what is causing this, I want to stop using the filtered water and go back to washing my hair in the shower, I mean this kinda sucks cuz I have to wash my hair in the kitchen since the filtration system is installed there.

What do you think is causing my hair fall?

LScott317
January 18th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Filtered water is supposed to be good for your hair…maybe it's the shampoo?

ayyak
January 18th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Filtered water is supposed to be good for your hair…maybe it's the shampoo?

I'm thinking it might be the shampoo, my regular shampoo is out of stock currently so I'm stuck with this unfortunately.

Firefox7275
January 18th, 2014, 02:02 PM
See your family doctor or a dermatologist, dandruff is a laymans term covering a number of flaky scalp complaints: you can easily WORSEN the problem self treating a self diagnosis. You have made too many changes for the unqualified people on this forum to identify one as the cause.

lapushka
January 18th, 2014, 03:05 PM
See your family doctor or a dermatologist, dandruff is a laymans term covering a number of flaky scalp complaints: you can easily WORSEN the problem self treating a self diagnosis. You have made too many changes for the unqualified people on this forum to identify one as the cause.

I agree. It might not be dandruff, but something else, in which case only a doctor can make a qualified diagnosis and help you with this. We can only guess and recommend plenty of stuff that in the end won't help you out any.

ayyak
January 18th, 2014, 03:11 PM

I agree. It might not be dandruff, but something else, in which case only a doctor can make a qualified diagnosis and help you with this. We can only guess and recommend plenty of stuff that in the end won't help you out any.

I see, I will try to schedule an appointment soon.
Thank you

lapushka
January 18th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I see, I will try to schedule an appointment soon.
Thank you

It is really important because if it is something worse, say like seborrheic dermatitis (or SD), then it might be the cause of your fall-out. So do let a doctor check your scalp. If it's just plain dandruff, then it's not such a bad thing, something that a regular store-bought shampoo can treat. But if something else... Try and get to the bottom of this first, before focusing on anything else!