PDA

View Full Version : Does honey need to be raw

prettyinpink
January 18th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I hear that raw honey has vitamins and minerals, but its also crazy expensive. Would clover honey from the grocery store still be beneficial to hair?

Thank you!

cheetahfast
January 18th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I use a honey bear that is not raw and it is fine. I was using expensive manakua honey for awhile and saw no difference.

Assuming you are just looking to do a treatment with it it should be fine. IDK about honey lightening, I never really tried it.

meteor
January 18th, 2014, 10:50 AM
What's your goal with honey?
If it's for honey lightening, some raw honeys (check out the Honey Lightening thread in the Recipes section) have a higher content of hydrogen peroxide to help lighten.

If it's for honey rinses/massages for your scalp health, raw honey is probably better. Honey is a light anti-bacterial.

If it's for humectant action in your conditioners, ANY honey is good, because what you use it for is humectant, hygroscopic action, which works in all types of honey or syrup, molasses. Lots of vegans use syrups instead of honey, and it works just fine.

You mentioned vitamins and minerals in the honey, but they are largely useless to your hair as hair is dead and you can't "feed" it the way you feed your body.

Firefox7275
January 18th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Hair is dead it doesn't need vitamins and minerals. You only need raw honey for the peroxide producing capacity in honey lightening. For everything else you need the sugar (a humectant) and weak acidity (to help cuticle lay flat) found in any cheap honey.

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 11:06 AM
i think t's the same, apparently though if you buy local honey it can improve your immune system through consumption.

ErinLeigh
January 19th, 2014, 11:32 PM
For lightening or just to mix with conditioner?
When I mix with conditioner I use regular store bought honey. I did not notice any difference using raw honey on my hair so I started saving the expensive raw honey for face.
Actually I think the store honey works best for my hair since it blends better with my conditioners.

sipnsun
July 25th, 2020, 07:10 PM
I've used both in SMT and couldn't tell a difference between the two so I save money and use a store brand.