PDA

View Full Version : what to do with my hair when driving

Agnes Hannah
January 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Hi I have began to take driving lessons, and am looking for some advice on what to do with my hair. The first time, I drove, I wore it in a claw, but this was uncomfortable, and it began to wriggle out. My hair is uber fine and BSL.
Thanks in advance

TiaKitty
January 18th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I put mine in a high LWB or a braid.

kganihanova
January 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Braids! They'll stay flat and they'll move comfortably.

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 10:57 AM
ponytail or a bun to completely get it out of the way.

i'm starting lessons soon, arggg i'm so scared!!! good luck anyway

Madora
January 18th, 2014, 12:45 PM
A braid would be perfect. Avoid ponytails. Good luck!

EdG
January 18th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I just put my hair in my lap. It's long enough to stay put.
Ed

Migranny
January 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I have super fine hair and I am just past arm pit length. I am finding out my claw clip no longer works as well. I am now doing two braids, one behind each ear and wrapping them over the top of my head like a headband.

Anje
January 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I do one or two braids, pulled in front of my shoulders (never lean on your hair) for longer trips. For short drives, I just wear my hair normally (up in whatever I chose to wear that day), but the seat is kept just far enough back that the headrest won't touch my head.

Migranny
January 18th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Securing them with bobby pins, I forgot this part!

Nini
January 18th, 2014, 12:59 PM
You could just leave it down for the lessons too.

Kaelee
January 18th, 2014, 01:12 PM
When I was that length, I used an octopus clip (not claw, octopus) and twisted it into a cinnamon bun type thing, secured with the clip.

rose313
January 18th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Buns bother me since they hit the headrest and I can't move my head back as much as I'd like. I usually have mine in a braid most of the time, or a low bun.

LaurelSpring
January 18th, 2014, 01:45 PM
You have to go high or low. A high messy bun or something low like an over the shoulder side pony.

Naiadryade
January 18th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I pull my hair over the shoulder opposite the seatbelt so it doesn't get rubbed. At BSL my hair wouldn't stay there on its own, so a side braid or a low, loose side ponytail was the way to go. I can't stand topknots though--those would probably also work to get your hair out of seat-rubbing territory.

spirals
January 18th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I drive every day in a variety of hair styles. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

askan
January 19th, 2014, 02:05 AM
I drive at work in the nights (newspaper delivery) and my favourite is the tucked frenchbraid secured with something flat, like a flexi-8. I just wear a beanie hat on top now in winter. I do use claw clips a bit, but it's really not a good idea because you should keep the back of your head leaning on the back of the seat for safety (to avoid neck injuries if you crash). You could do two pigtail braids or a normal braid too. I need my hair off the back of my neck though, a top knot would be good if it didn't look ridiculous with a hat on :P

Adus
January 19th, 2014, 02:14 AM
I must agree with askan. Last summer was big heat and I drove a car to my new work. I had to open all of its windows and I had to have headband and ponytail and it was stressed situation. With the ponytail the one can not lean on and can have neck injury. If I travell longer I do classic braid.

Kaelee
January 19th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Huh. I've never once leaned my head back on the headrest because I just never found it comfortable to do so, even before I was worried about my hair.

Agnes Hannah
January 19th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Thank you for your advice and suggestions, I'm going to try a side braid,folded into a scrunchy or one of those hair friendly hairties that children use. If it was my own car, I would take a piece of silk to put over the headrest, but my instructor may think I'm strange! Sadly Ed, mine isn't long enough to stay in my lap (sad face!) not yet anyway he he.

Unicorn
January 19th, 2014, 07:06 PM
It's worth remembering that the function of head rests is to reduce the possibility of whiplash injury in the event of an accident or sudden stop. If your hairstyle impacts this function, it isn't the best idea.

Unicorn

Agnes Hannah
January 20th, 2014, 01:24 PM
It's worth remembering that the function of head rests is to reduce the possibility of whiplash injury in the event of an accident or sudden stop. If your hairstyle impacts this function, it isn't the best idea.

Unicorn

It was this apart from the claw being uncomfortable that made me think that I may need an alternative. If I plait it, it will be placed low and opposite the side of the car seatbelt.:)