PDA

View Full Version : tips for awkward length?

cdonald2
January 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM
My hair is at shoulder and also layered. Its a length that looks awful on me. im doing what i can to keep it healthy so it grows quicker, but in the meantime, what did all of you do for awkward hair lengths? style suggestions?

Of the Fae
January 18th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Yes :) Pin it up and wear a scarf to hide flyaways!

ositarosita
January 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Yes :) Pin it up and wear a scarf to hide flyaways!

Second that .... I keep my hair in a jaw clip because it's the only thing that will hold it hold it ( along with all the layers that sill remain)

kganihanova
January 18th, 2014, 09:48 AM
pin it up and pretend it looks fab <3 Yeah shoulder wasn't a great length on me either........

Joyce_Alison
January 18th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I like pinning back my bangs on my head (pin it so there is a little volume).

As soon as it is long enough to tie back, I do buns & ponytails a lot.. & just let the shorter layers fall out.. I think it looks cute.

Also wearing thick banded headbands.

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 10:45 AM
half up do's are great on short hair, braid it, put it in a bun.

basically you just have to be patient and wait for your hair to grow out.

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gEyhIfpZTk

just found these hair styles i used when i had shoulder length hair.

Nesoi
January 18th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Put it up! I found that mini spins pins are great for doing two little buns. Looks cute.

LaurelSpring
January 18th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I have been the messy bun queen for awhile now. I just love them even though my hair is not awkward right now. They are so easy and can go casual to elegant just depending on how I do them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlccU0al0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92MtDhDNdc

I am looking for my favorite but this one looks close ~~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxIHznL0TY

Madora
January 18th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Two strand twisted rope crown braid by Lilith Moon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You might be able to do this one, even with short hair. If you have any whispy ends sticking out, you might want to use small hairpins to corral those ends and tuck them down into the braid. Be sure to detangle first before starting.

I actually do this style (sitting down) all my hair in front of me, like a curtain. I start dividing the hair just in front of my right ear, then gradually make way way across my head until I reach my left ear. Then I change hands (tricky part) and then continue around the back of my head until I reach the point where I began.

In a nutshell, I'm braiding the front part of my hair first, then continuing onward around my head. There's a bit of a learning curve but the results are well worth it!

lapushka
January 18th, 2014, 03:16 PM
As soon as you can somehow put it up, that's a great way to combat awkward stages! A peacock twist should be do-able at your length. The Flexi8 site calls the same updo a "tails up".

Anje
January 18th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Pigtails and pigtail braids are a decent way to contain hair that won't make it into a ponytail or bun yet. And at your length, they can be really adorable.

cdonald2
January 19th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Wow, thankyou everyone for all the wonderful answers.

two styles im curious about.

Scarves- any photos you guys can show me? i have plenty of scarves but no idea how to wear them.

Peacock twist- does that put my hair at risk for brittle ends since theyre out and about? I want a style i can rely on thats relatively lazy and yet somewhat protective, yet cute so i dont always look like a mess. My hair is fine so buns in my hair are pathetic XD like a bunny tail! the pigtail braids sound perfect for me :)

lapushka
January 19th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Peacock twist- does that put my hair at risk for brittle ends since theyre out and about? I want a style i can rely on thats relatively lazy and yet somewhat protective, yet cute so i dont always look like a mess. My hair is fine so buns in my hair are pathetic XD like a bunny tail! the pigtail braids sound perfect for me :)

Depends on how much of your ends stick out, really. I never had problems with mine, or my ends, not even when I just started wearing a peacock twist, back when I was around APL... and my ends stuck out big time!

QMacrocarpa
January 19th, 2014, 07:31 AM
If you don't want to have your ends out and about, you might try using an octopus clip as a bun cage. I loved doing that with my shoulder-length-ish hair. So easy and secure! And it kind of obfuscates the precise size of your bun, if you're self-conscious about that. I found it super protective, it's really what gave me hope I could grow my breakage-prone hair longer than ever before.

cdonald2
January 20th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Awesome idea!!! i really should invest in one of these.

ProverbsGirl
January 20th, 2014, 06:34 AM
That is a terrible length for me as well. I kept it up a lot and pinned back the layers.
Or I would just pin back a small top section. :)

gillybeanxo3921
January 20th, 2014, 06:53 AM
fishtail braid works well for me... it holds all the layers in :)

GoddesJourney
January 20th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I just passed that length a few weeks ago. I kept it in a pony nub outside the house. Inside the house I just didn't look at it and left it down. I made a lace braided headband a couple of times to go out. Not much you can do but just wait another couple of months. You're almost through it.