PDA

View Full Version : Swimming.

cdonald2
January 18th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I was wondering what everyone uses for protection against chlorine in pools. Ive heard putting conditioner on helps alot. What about you guys?

spidermom
January 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I've tried conditioner, oils, and coney serum. Coney serum worked the best. Apply generously and braid. Wash out at the end of the day with any shampoo. I took my non-sulfate gentle shampoo with me on vacation, then used my clarifying shampoo when I got home.

Agnes Hannah
January 18th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I've been wondering about this too. Would a swimming cap work?

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 10:03 AM
i think putting oil in as it repels the water whereas conditioner is water soluble, you could also wear a cap.

another thing to do is wash your hair as soon as you get out of the pool to get rid of the chlorine.

cathair
January 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I wet my hair, cover it in conditioner with EDTA in it, then put a silicone swimming hat over it (which is very difficult to get on when you head is covered in conditioner!). My theory is that I read somewhere EDTA is a chelating ingredient, which might help with the chlorine. Then I wash it out with kids swimming shampoo (because it's really cheap compared to other swimming shampoo), condition with normal conditioner and vinegar rinse.

I have no idea if this makes any difference at all, but it makes me feel better ;)

DarleneH
January 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I think you can get neoprene hair gloves, but I can't remember where. Basically you could fill your hair full of oil / conditioner, then add the hair glove as an extra bit of protection that also keeps it from free-floating and tangling. The tassel on the very end might still be exposed, but oil and then conditioning/oiling after would greatly mitigate any problems. I'm not worried about all the hair closer to my scalp; it's not going to suffer like the ends would.

jrmviola
January 18th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I can say from experience that conditioner and a leave-in before you swim, followed by an immediate wash after you get out works good, but if the cap slips then the conditioner will not be enough. Mine almost always slipped because of my length. I didnt know about oils when i swam then but you are going to need something more than just conditioner no matter the quality or thickness of it.

PrincessBob
January 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I think you can get neoprene hair gloves, but I can't remember where. Basically you could fill your hair full of oil / conditioner, then add the hair glove as an extra bit of protection that also keeps it from free-floating and tangling. The tassel on the very end might still be exposed, but oil and then conditioning/oiling after would greatly mitigate any problems. I'm not worried about all the hair closer to my scalp; it's not going to suffer like the ends would.
I bought mine from www.hairglovesfromhawaii.com (she usually includes a free gift with purchase), mine is a 20" neoprene hairglove from them. It works great for wearing out and about, but at my length and thickness, my hair got too heavy for comfortable swimming with it on. I think they discontinued the 20-incher anyway and you shouldn't have weight distribution issues with a 12" or smaller glove.

MeowScat
January 18th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Wet your hair first so it's saturated, this way less chlorinated pool water can soak-in. Try different oils, conditioners, leave-ins. Swim caps often leak, but give it a shot, just get a big enough one to stuff all your hair into.

Once you're out of the pool, don't let your hair dry with the pool water in it. You could wash your hair with swimmers shampoo, and I've heard that Club Soda is also good at getting the chlorine out. Condition heavily. :)

Juanita
January 18th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Very enabling site there PrincessBob.

nuvola
January 18th, 2014, 08:28 PM
This thread is perfect for me as I am going to start swimming nearly everyday when it's gettin warmer. (ok it will take a while until that ;))

Would you wash your hair every time after swimming?? I think that can't be good...but I can't think of another solution?

cdonald2
January 18th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Thats why i needed to ask lol same here! maybe sooner for me. The hair gloves sound like they may work... that or a swim cap.... does a swim glove cover the top of your head too? it looks like they only protect ponytails.

nuvola
January 18th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Haha cdonald that's what I am wondering about, too! These hairgloves might look a little better than a swim cap, but do they protect all hair?

Eliska
January 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I swim about once a week in a pool that requires swim caps. I usually thoroughly wet my hair before I swim, braid it and put on my swim cap, and then CO-wash as soon as I get out. Seems to work pretty well without any oils or conditioner beforehand.

Monkshood
January 18th, 2014, 11:33 PM
This thread is perfect for me as I am going to start swimming nearly everyday when it's gettin warmer. (ok it will take a while until that ;))

Would you wash your hair every time after swimming?? I think that can't be good...but I can't think of another solution?

I've gone swimming in a chlorinated pool every other day for the past two weeks and so far I've only been rinsing my hair afterward and then lightly oiling it when it's still damp. I figured washing it so often would probably not do any good, since I typically only wash every five days. My hair has been looking okay I guess. I tried CO-washing on swimming days only and the results were absolutely disgusting.

aspartame gram
January 19th, 2014, 12:24 AM
I used to swim regularly (about twice to three times a week) and would put coconut oil in it right before. I'd apply it at home about a half hour before going, and then shower immediately afterward. I was blonde and didn't notice a color change and I'd still get compliments on my longer hair. Good luck and hope you find something that helps!

longhairdesired
January 19th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I use olive oil.

ErinLeigh
January 19th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Wet your hair first so it's saturated, this way less chlorinated pool water can soak-in. Try different oils, conditioners, leave-ins. Swim caps often leak, but give it a shot, just get a big enough one to stuff all your hair into.

Once you're out of the pool, don't let your hair dry with the pool water in it. You could wash your hair with swimmers shampoo, and I've heard that Club Soda is also good at getting the chlorine out. Condition heavily. :)

i think thats perfect advise.

I always read hair has to be saturated with fresh water first, then conditioner or oil with further protect. Swim cap and rinse well. Ultra Swim n a shampoo is you are ok with SLS. If sulfates are an issue Pureology has a chelator/clarifying shampoo (but has cone in it) that is said to remove chlorine. There is a good array of wash products. I have read the club soda helps a lot also.

nuvola
January 21st, 2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys. I will try as soon as it's warm enough and hopefully find my way :)

fairview
January 21st, 2014, 10:29 PM
Outdoor pools - an good spf 30+ that you would use for your skin will give excellent dual protection from both chlorine and UV rays which can be equally damaging. Chlorine is alkaline which means it will openthe cuticle and may cause a greenish tint to hair, particularly the blondes. Immediately after swimming immediately rinsing your hair with fresh water, even if it is from your host's garden hose is much better than waiting to shampoo or condition wash at home.

Indoor pools that are bromine based are actually more reactive and damaging than chlorine is really tough on hair. Indoor chlorine pools that smell heavily of chlorine is an indication there is a high level of incompletely oxidized organics (think skin cells, sweat and other body fluids). In other words an indoor pool that burns or irritates your eyes or nose with chlorine fumes is actually a very disgistingly dirty pool.