PDA

View Full Version : flat hair when skipping a wash

ErinLeigh
January 18th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Since I work alone and only see people for 15 minutes during shift change, I decided to try something new and not wash hair for work today. I am usually a daily washer.

So, I went to work with second day hair and its not bad honestly. It is not greasy at all, even though I do have a light oiling in my hair (oil mixed with leave in conditioner and water) so I know I could easily skip a wash day if i wanted to BUT.. My question is, how do you get volume in hair when not washing? Hair seems flat had no volume at all. The roots and the general appearance is flat. Is that normal or is this because of my hair type being fine? OR is it due to the leave in perhaps? When you skip washes do you make sure not to put any leave in on the hair for the first day? It has proper volume first day if that helps.

I always read that second hair hair was supposed to be the best hair but that is not the case. It is hard to explain but maybe lank or limp describes it?
Any suggestions or is this simply how it is for some people?

I tried baby powder on roots even though they weren't greasy at all hoping for fluff but it kind of gave me a flyaway look .

I am considering skipping washing 2 of the 4 days I work each week to give my hair a break by washing every other shift, but I am hoping it can look good worn down when doing so just in case a visitor stops by. I wear it up at work once the shift handing off leaves, but want to be able to take it down if necessary.

My final question. does anyone experience any negatives to skipping washes? Is it possible for hair to get dryer instead of healthier? I am trying this just to avoid any extra mechanical damage and to just give hair a break but want to make sure there is no downside to this.

Flor
January 18th, 2014, 02:54 AM
If you like the look of your freshly washed hair best, then nothing's going to change that. Second day hair is not the same as freshly washed, period. There are things you may want to try: dry shampoo, massaging the roots, pineapple bun for the night, etc, but the bottom line is - it'll still have different look and properties.

A big part of stretching washes is adjusting your mentality and expectations.

ErinLeigh
January 18th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Really? I was hoping I was just missing something that i could change because stylists always swear 2nd day hair is the best to style. :(
I am going to try it without the leave in and see what happens maybe. It seems wasteful to wash it and style it just to go to work just for the few minutes I see others. I am going to live with it and give it a break and hopefully it adapts.

Perhaps the pineapple will give it some root lift so that's a good idea to try actually.

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Use a dry shampoo, apparently they absorb the oils in your hair and they also add volume, getting rid of that flat hair problem.

Flor
January 18th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Really? I was hoping I was just missing something that i could change because stylists always swear 2nd day hair is the best to style. :(

For fancy updos, yes. It holds better. What you want is root lift and volume for loose hair. That is best archived with freshly washed hair.

ErinLeigh
January 18th, 2014, 05:38 AM
For fancy updos, yes. It holds better. What you want is root lift and volume for loose hair. That is best archived with freshly washed hair.

Thanks for the advice Flor.
Apparantly my hair decides to look good third day! Ha
wekk it would if it were not for my 2 bride of Frankenstein frizzy spiral curls that grow from my temples. If I could smooth those down I would go another day actually.

Well this was an interesting experiment but I am going to take it slow. I have already done my pre wash oiling so won't be seeing how far this one stretches.
Still zero oil produced day 3 so I am guessing I have a drier scalp?

SleepyTangles
January 18th, 2014, 06:08 AM
This is a problem for me, too. My roots usually go from fluffy/full of volume (but frizzy) to docile but flat in a day and half. Washing method helps, and so stretching washes, but in the end you have to make some compromises.
Though, sleeping with a top knot bun helped me!

Firefox7275
January 18th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Shampoos with anionic surfactants change he electrical charge on hair creating volume/ pouf/ frizz. Some like this artificial effect others do not. Try dry shampoo and scaling back the oilings - not everyone needs them.

Applegirl84
January 18th, 2014, 06:58 AM
It could just be your hair type. Mine also is flat second day even if it isn't greasy. Its just limp. And I don't usually use conditioner or leave ins. It's ok for braids and updos though

bunnylake
January 18th, 2014, 09:14 AM
I'm the same, which is why I have a hard time resisting washing daily. Volumizing powder works really well, though! A tiny but goes a long way.

lapushka
January 18th, 2014, 09:27 AM
You could always try wearing it up on the second day. You don't *have* to let it down. If dry shampoo does nothing, and leaving out the leave-in and oil does nothing, then I'd seriously consider just wearing it up for day 2.

hairpleasegrow
January 18th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I agree with Flor 100 percent. The only negatives I experience when I skip washings are that I don't feel as pretty and clean as on wash days. I am so much more appreciative of wash days now.

meteor
January 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
ErinLeigh, how to you "style" your hair for bed? This is decisive for my look the next day. If I just oil and wrap my hair loose in silk for the night, I get very smooth but flat hair. But if I use overnight braids, buns, rag curls on top of my head and close to my scalp, I always wake up with volume at the roots. Dry shampoos help too, but I wouldn't abuse them.

Also, fluffing up roots with a scalp massage helps a bit. It's really good for circulation and optimal hair growth, so it's a healthy way of getting some volume.

And you are right, it comes with the hair type. It's natural for straight hair to lay smooth and flat a few days after a wash. And yes, using a lot less leave-in product is key, too. In your case I'm not sure you even need any leave-in at all. Maybe a tiny bit at the very ends to keep them from drying out, but less is more.

As for your stretching washes question, I don't know of any specific downside for washing less, if you have no scalp issues. If hair is clean of any product or dirt or serious grease, the only reason to wash is psychological/routine and cultural/styling. I think, your hair type probably can't lead to dry ends at this length from washing hair every couple days instead of every day.
Interestingly, I saw an article on African-American hair, where they were discussing how Caucasian hair gets oilier with stretched washes, but African hair gets drier. However, long African hair rarely gets washed every day. I can see how the longer and curlier your hair is, the higher the risk of dry ends (harder for sebum to reach tips), and I see that my roots get oily but ends get dry as I approach wash day. Oiling the ends fixes this problem very effectively.

rose313
January 18th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I have a huge problem with second day hair. After a day and a half my hair goes flat, and if I put dry shampoo in it it looks okay for a few minutes then goes even flatter and greasy because my hair hates all product except a very small amount of oil or leave in conditioner, only on the ends not on the roots. I would just wear it up on the second day. At least unwashed hair is easier to style.