PDA

View Full Version : The easiest and most efficient ways to seek and destroy dead ends?

Leslieslsa
January 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Pretty much exactly what the title says. I find it is harder when I am not in the right lighting, maybe you guys have easier ideas?

AspenSong
January 17th, 2014, 10:39 PM
For me it's all light and patience.
I have two special light places that are best. In my car in the middle of the day...or the brightest window in the house. Or in front of the computer screen with a white background up. I can find tons that way. I find it easiest to get in the good light and then take small sections of hair at a time and search that section, move to the next until all my hair is done and if I'm super bored/patient....repeat the process. :)

Tini'sNewHair
January 17th, 2014, 11:40 PM
I found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FUbqFYzmWs) to be another good way of doing it.

joflakes
January 18th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I'm another fan of sitting in front of a bright window. I always find loads then. Either that or in the sunlight outside! Good luck :)

queenieheather
January 18th, 2014, 03:45 AM
Just start looking when you don't have your scissors with you. You'll find lots then!

bunzfan
January 18th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I have more success when I twist strands of hair because you really see the splits popping out I also sit right next to a window.

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I sit in front of a window part my hair into sections. I undo a section at a time and s&d then go to the next section until I've done my whole head. When I'm done I oil my ends.

Llama
January 18th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Just start looking when you don't have your scissors with you. You'll find lots then!

Haha exactly! :)

LauraLongLocks
January 18th, 2014, 08:10 AM

So true! I really try not to look when I don't have scissors handy because it drives me crazy.

I divide my hair in half and put half over each shoulder, then I take each section and divide it in two or three mini-sections and twist each one to look for splits. After each mini-section has been twisted and I've searched and destroyed, I then take each mini-section and do the same method as the Sam Villa video that was posted earlier in the thread, except I'm very selective, and I'm careful to only snip hairs that are actually split or beginning to split. After I have gone through each mini-section by twisting and by the 3-finger method, then I combine my mini-sections back together so that I have two big sections again, and do one last twist and search and destroy on the two larger sections. Using this method takes me about 30 minutes total, and I have decided to do it once a month, in the first few days after a new moon, just in case there's any truth to the moon trimming method for faster growth.

Anje
January 18th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I like to S&D shaggy braids that I've been wearing for a few hours. Short ends pop out everywhere, so you can check the ends while the bulk of the hair remains contained. It doesn't allow you to find every end, but you're unlikely to manage that anyway. It does help you to S&D well above the hemline, which I think is particularly important.