PDA

View Full Version : Blunt ends or natural ends...which looks best on long hair?

Berlie
January 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I have fine, thin-ish SL/BSL hair and I'm going to be getting a trim on the Spring Solstice...which is supposedly an excellent time for trims if you want growth. Anyway, my ends are currently blunt, they seem to blend in nicely with my blunt-ish bangs. But I'm thinking of trying more natural looking, wispy ends along with a U-shape in the back. I currently have it cut straight across. What does everyone here think...are blunt or wispy ends nicer looking with long hair? I'm afraid of it looking to thin if I do change to wispy, natural ends. But I do think it will look longer if its U-shaped and wispy. Help!!! :confused:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2014, 06:09 PM
It is really a matter of preference. I prefer a blunt cut on myself, it makes my hair look thicker. When my ends begin to look wispy I know it's time for a trim. But plenty of folks here like the wispy look, or fairytale ends.

vanillabones
January 17th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I prefer blunt ends but waist length+ I like both and won't mind keeping fairytale ends then. Mine are wispy at midback right now and I do not like it :( so I'm going to wear it up until my next trim.
What day is the spring solstice? I'll do a trim then.

Berlie
January 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks :). Spring Solstice is March 19th and 20th, those are supposedly the best days in 2014 for a trim if you're looking for growth. Don't know if this works,but at this point I'll try anything!

Fairy tale ends....that's the name I was trying to think of ;-)

ravenreed
January 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM
That is a matter of preference. I dislike blunt cuts on any length longer than a bob, and I especially hate the way my ends fan out when blunt cut (hello triangle head!), so I always have layers. I didn't get fairytailing (aka natural ends) until after fingertip length. Since my hair was already layered, it wasn't that noticeable to anyone but me.

vanillabones
January 17th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks :). Spring Solstice is March 19th and 20th, those are supposedly the best days in 2014 for a trim if you're looking for growth. Don't know if this works,but at this point I'll try anything!

Fairy tale ends....that's the name I was trying to think of ;-)

Thank you for telling me! I've been trimming with the moon for quite awhile, I don't believe in it at all but it gives me good ideas for trimming dates and if it does work I won't be missing out xD That sounds like a perfect time for a trim for me because I was counting on sometimes between March-May. So, yay!

turtlelover
January 17th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I tend to strongly prefer blunt ends on straight hair and a bit of layering on wavy/curly hair. It is possible to have a slight U shape w/ little to no layering, too, so that is always an option if you don't want the harshness of a straight across hemline but like thicker ends. I've never cared for fairytale ends, personally, but that is just my own opinion.

spidermom
January 17th, 2014, 07:12 PM
There's room for all preferences. Do what you like.

Berlie
January 17th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Thank you all for the input...I know it's a matter of preference but at the same time, I want to make my hair look its best, so I'm trying to weigh both looks. I love the look of blunt and fairytale but I'm not sure what's best for my fine hair. I think I'll look to good ol' Pinterest for inspiration :-)

Berlie
January 17th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Thank you for telling me! I've been trimming with the moon for quite awhile, I don't believe in it at all but it gives me good ideas for trimming dates and if it does work I won't be missing out xD That sounds like a perfect time for a trim for me because I was counting on sometimes between March-May. So, yay!

Vanillabones, we'll have to compare notes in April and see if there's any truth to that whole lunar phase thing ;-)

hairpleasegrow
January 17th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Berlie I have very similar hair type to you and I also had bangs about 2 years ago that were blunt. I think if your hair is BSL you can get away with either bluntish or u shaped length. I experimented with both when I had bangs.

When I decided to grow my bangs out I had a u shape hem and I had a few layers at the sides to help "blend" my bangs in more. I really liked it at that stage. I think if you are growing out your hair longer than BSL or longer then the U shaped would look nice on you and compliment your features. I don't know how you style your hair but for me it allowed for more styling opportunities. It always looked nice down, and I felt it always looked pretty yet polished when it was up (either bun or pony) with a few wisps hanging down at the sides.

But blunt is nice too sometimes with finer hair like mine it also looks more full when it is blunt. Also I found when it was one length there were less fly aways and less styling needed. When I had the u shape hem I was using a round brush and a blow dryer (I think i just heard my hair shreek with horror lol).

You could always grow it a bit longer and decide in the next "moon" on whether to do the u shape and leave it blunt. I am also planning and s and d on the next moon.

Whatever you do it is a win win situation :) !!!

CurlyCap
January 17th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I prefer blunt ends. It seems more luxurious because it implies that your hair could actually be LONGER, but you cut back to make sure you have even ends.

But it really is a matter of taste. In my head, I cut back everyone's hair to where the majority of their thickness is.

woodswanderer
January 17th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I second the blunt U. It sounds like it would fulfill both of your preferences. The only negative thing from my experiences with blunt and slightly blunt U is it can be harder to tuck the ends in for an updo.

Quixii
January 17th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I also think it's a matter of preference. Personally, I almost always prefer a non-blunt hemline. Even if it's a gentle U, so the ends are still fairly blunt and thick, I prefer that. I think there's a point of "too" wispy for my personal aesthetics, and there are blunt hemlines that are admirable, but I love a bit of fairytale ends happening.

Tini'sNewHair
January 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM
I like the blunt cut but its not easy to make updos because the ends are so thick :(

LauraLongLocks
January 18th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I'm fond of a slight-U hemline. My eyes naturally go up to where the hair is thicker when I see fairytale ends. On the other hand, curly hair looks really nice with fairytale ends. With my straight hair (the waves in the current sig pic are bun waves), I plan to get the slight-U hemline I want in degrees, but no trims this year, so it's on the back burner.

Selkie-
January 18th, 2014, 01:06 AM
It's a personal choice but I like blunt ends better - however on hair longer than waist-length I think fairy-tale ends are pretty. :)

Robot Ninja
January 18th, 2014, 07:50 AM
I love fairy tale ends on longer hair, but I think on BSL hair they might just look like damage, and a deliberate-looking hemline is better. Unless by "wispy" you mean layers, which have their own upsides and downsides. I'd go for a U hemline myself, possibly with some long layers if you're a wavy, but that's just my personal preference (not a fan of blunt hemlines.)

ravenheather
January 18th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I like fairytales especially on waist and longer. A u shape is my second favorite. I don't care for a blunt cut.

DweamGoiL
January 18th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I can appreciate the beauty in both blunt hemlines and U-shapes, even layered hair. Personally, I do not aesthetically prefer fairy tale or harsh V cut ends at all. On myself, I prefer not having totally blunt ends because my hair becomes too heavy.

Berlie
January 18th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Wow, I appreciate all of your advice!! I am in the process of grow, grow, grow...I'm aiming for waist length and I believe a U shape would be best for that. That won't happen for another year though.

I also do the same thing when I see others with ends that are too wispy....I visualize what their hair would look like with blunt ends.

But yes, on the other hand, with up-dos the ends are easier to tuck in when they're wispy. Ohhhh decisions, decisions!!

lapushka
January 18th, 2014, 09:01 AM
I'd leave the ends blunt or slightly U-shaped if you're a i/ii. My mom is a i/ii as well (I'd say barely ii), and one time she went to the stylist and they had it *extremely* layered! It made her hair look *really* fine and thin and brittle. Would not recommend! Now she keeps her ends blunt, all one length, and it looks and appears much thicker than before.

spidermom
January 18th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Preferences change. When I joined, I only liked the blunt, straight-across hem. Then I saw with my thick bushy hair that it gave a pyramid appearance that I didn't like at all. So then I developed a preference for a U-shape with long layers. I've also had a V-hem with layers. Now I'm back to a layered U, I think it's best for me, but I might do the V again in the future. Hooray variety!

I like fairy tale ends that thin out very gradually on curly hair. On other hair types, my mind immediately coughs up "scraggly". I can't help it; I'm sorry!

spidermom
January 18th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Oops, posted twice. That did not bear repeating.

~*~Aspen~*~
January 18th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Hello Berlie,

From experience with ends that grow like fairytale ((most of the time.. ) I really believe you should grow whatever you can handle taking care of better.and keep moisturized better.

That's my advice.

Enjoy!

Agnes Hannah
January 18th, 2014, 09:58 AM
on me I prefer a straight hemline as my hair is so fine, and at BSL but maybe as it grows towards waist a small U may be nice too. I have seen some here with beautiful fairytale ends though. Its a very individual thing really. As long as the person is happy, that is good for me.

SleepyTangles
January 18th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I prefer blunt, because my hair is unable to do fairytale ends without damage involved. Thinning for me means splits, broken hairs and scraggly ends. But I've seen a lot of girls with healthy fairytale ends and they look very beautiful and so eerie.
I like long layers (not cutted by razor!), too.

I also think fairytale ends look better with thick or wavy/curly hair.

Joyce_Alison
January 18th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I prefer natural ends (as long as they are healthy). My hair is thick as well, so I can pull that look off. However, I think it is easier to grow out your hair with blunt ends... makes trimming easier and faster.

truepeacenik
January 18th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Aren't fairytale ends the non cut (ever) ends of hair?
Otherwise it's tapered ends.

Madora
January 18th, 2014, 12:14 PM
It is really a matter of preference. I prefer a blunt cut on myself, it makes my hair look thicker. When my ends begin to look wispy I know it's time for a trim. But plenty of folks here like the wispy look, or fairytale ends.

I'm with Sarahlabyrinth! Blunt ends look thicker. Added bonus, they are easier to trim and do S and D on.

YamaMaya
January 18th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Isn't the "spring solstice" the vernal equinox? But I digress, personally I like the look of blunt ends, and am working on growing long enough to be able to even out my hemline eventually, which right now is a lopsided U.

Wildcat Diva
January 18th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Aren't fairytale ends the non cut (ever) ends of hair?
Otherwise it's tapered ends.

I thought it meant when the the ends have not been trimmed in a while and they visibly start to look like fringe, due to variances in growth rate of individual hairs. Maybe what you described is a more strict definition. Anyway, I've just made that up in my head, I could be dead wrong.

rose313
January 18th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I personally prefer blunt ends. I used to have a V shape, now I've grown it out into just a regular, straight across blunt cut. My avatar is when I was just starting to grow out my V.

Leslieslsa
January 18th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Like a lot of other people on here said, it's ultimately up to you. I personally generally like the look of fairy tail ends but find somewhat hard to manage sometimes so I kinda keep it between blunt and fairy tail. I don't like the look of a blunt cut, but I do find I get a thicker hemline that way

Berlie
January 19th, 2014, 07:04 AM
The more comments I read here, the more I am thinking of staying with my blunt ends, and maybe changing the shape to a slight U. With my very fine hair, I think fairytale ends will just make it look scraggly. Not to say that fairytale ends are scraggly by any means...I aspire to them!! But I believe blunt ends are the way to go for me, they're my reality.

sachaa
January 19th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I really don't like the look of blunt ends, but that's just a personal preference :)

curlylocks85
August 3rd, 2014, 01:48 PM
I have fine, thin-ish SL/BSL hair and I'm going to be getting a trim on the Spring Solstice...which is supposedly an excellent time for trims if you want growth. Anyway, my ends are currently blunt, they seem to blend in nicely with my blunt-ish bangs. But I'm thinking of trying more natural looking, wispy ends along with a U-shape in the back. I currently have it cut straight across. What does everyone here think...are blunt or wispy ends nicer looking with long hair? I'm afraid of it looking to thin if I do change to wispy, natural ends. But I do think it will look longer if its U-shaped and wispy. Help!!! :confused:

Personally, I like a U shaped hemline on myself. I have not decided if I like long layers with a U shape or just a U shape without layers. I do like fairytale ends on some hair types. I also like a blunt cut on some hair types.

Garnetgem
January 23rd, 2016, 03:12 AM
Blunt ends make the hair appear thicker and its easier to manage i find less less likely to tangle,natural ends look fine but they do tangle terribly this is going by my own experience...

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 12:46 AM
I have natural ends... I think they look fine.. most of the time :wannabe:
At this point I'm not willing to sacrifice length for a blunt hem...

Stray_mind
January 24th, 2016, 12:54 AM
It depends on the hair type and thickness i think. I personally prefer a slightly U shaped hemline on myself. My hemline is pretty much naturally blunt, so i cut it to make it a slight U shape.

parkmikii
January 24th, 2016, 01:32 AM
I love U shaped hemlines but I also want to grow it..so I guess I'll keep my fairytale ends for now until I get the courage to chop it in a blunt hemline. :D

Elizabeth E
April 18th, 2018, 07:31 AM
It depends on the texture of your hair - thin, straight hair will probably look better with a blunt hemline, while curly or wavy hair looks sweet with a more rounded U-shape. Personally, I'm not such a fan of very blunt, severe hemlines; the slight U-shape works better on my wavy hair. But at the end of the day, it's all a matter of personal preference.

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 08:03 AM
I’d agree with everyone on it being preference.
I don’t think there’s a “best”. I personally like any and all types of cut. For myself personally, I’m in absolute love with my fairytale ends, and I’m just at TBL. So it really depends

Stray_mind
April 18th, 2018, 08:05 AM
I agree with everyone who said it depends on preferences. I love a slightly V or U shaped hemline on myself.

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Yeah, preference. I kind of like my layers (waist to classic). Sometimes it's hard to get them to "lay nice" in a picture, but sometimes it works and when it does, I tend to like the picture enough that I make it my signature. :)

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 09:31 AM
I like a soft U.

zanelle
April 18th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Hmmmm... just read more on the topic today.
And I think it makes sense: curly/ wavy hair looks better natural.
I might reconsider and not even it out after reading all this.
I am still not calling mine waist though, lol.
Nice hair, Lapushka and Nycelle!!

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 10:05 AM

Thank you so much, zanelle!

Why even it out, give it the chance to grow a little first! :flower:

zanelle
April 18th, 2018, 10:08 AM
True, I will!

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 10:14 AM

Thanks, Zanelle.

I have a question. When someone talks about a "blunt" hemline, to me this means hair is all one length. A "U" is not blunt to me since it has a slight taper. My hair is a soft U.

But I've been reading various threads, and some people prefer a "Blunt U." I've seen this mentioned a few times. Can someone please explain what kind of hemline this is?

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Zanelle.

I have a question. When someone talks about a "blunt" hemline, to me this means hair is all one length. A "U" is not blunt to me since it has a slight taper. My hair is a soft U.

But I've been reading various threads, and some people prefer a "Blunt U." I've seen this mentioned a few times. Can someone please explain what kind of hemline this is?

A blunt U is just a U shape. At least that's my thinking. Blunt is the opposite of fairytaling. Even cut.

Luna Starsetta
April 18th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Hello, a little new here but I do love the fairytale ends and V cuts. I have naturally curly brown hair and I have fairytale ends I think I got a trim last in January. It was in need of shaping! I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would!

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 12:12 PM
A blunt U is just a U shape. At least that's my thinking. Blunt is the opposite of fairytaling. Even cut.

Ok, but that's my question.. U's aren't blunt..? the sides get shorter the closer they get to the front. I have a U cut and my hair is not all the same length. Am I wrong in thinking that blunt is the same length?

littlestarface
April 18th, 2018, 12:18 PM
I like a U or a blunt |__| I wish I can have blunt but with how my ends are and how I have to cut my own hair a U it is unfortunately. I hate a bunch of layers where the hair is thicker on top and thinner like a tail at the bottom, it always looks unbalanced to me.

*Wednesday*
April 18th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Depends on hair health. If hair is damaged to me, blunt looks neater . Broken ends on long hair growing natural looks like shredded wheat.

Beeboo123
April 18th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Blunt U! Blunt ends always make hair look longer, I always feel that fairytaled ends look short, as I my mind automatically registers hair length only where it isn’t see-through. It “doesn’t count” when I glance at it, it takes time for me to register “ohhhh her hair actually reaches her butt, hmm I thought it was only waist-length, everything is thin and see-through past waist”

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Depends on hair health. If hair is damaged to me, blunt looks neater . Broken ends on long hair growing natural looks like shredded wheat.

The "shredded wheat" description though.. :rollin::rollin::redgrin:

ravenskey
April 18th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Blunt U! Blunt ends always make hair look longer, I always feel that fairytaled ends look short, as I my mind automatically registers hair length only where it isn’t see-through. It “doesn’t count” when I glance at it, it takes time for me to register “ohhhh her hair actually reaches her butt, hmm I thought it was only waist-length, everything is thin and see-through past waist”

This doesn't happen to everyone: my hair is so dark and coarse that my formerly extremely split and very fairytaled ends were still very much thick and visible.

I think straight hair looks better blunt cut whether straight, U or V while wavy and curly hair looks better with a U or fairytale ends but this also depends on hair thickness.

In the end though it's a matter of personal preference and everyone's hair is different. Also if you like your hair a certain way don't listen to what other people think.

Lady Stardust
April 18th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Ok, but that's my question.. U's aren't blunt..? the sides get shorter the closer they get to the front. I have a U cut and my hair is not all the same length. Am I wrong in thinking that blunt is the same length?

I’m not sure if I can describe it very well so please bear with me :-) My understanding is that “blunt” means the hemline has been cut across the bottom, rather than layered, and is not feathered to soften the edge. However the hemline of a blunt cut can still be shaped into a U (or whatever shape). It doesn’t have to be straight across. A U shape will still be a blunt cut if it doesn’t have layers and so is described as “all one length” despite the sides being shorter than the back.

Clear as mud?

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 01:42 PM
I’m not sure if I can describe it very well so please bear with me :-) My understanding is that “blunt” means the hemline has been cut across the bottom, rather than layered, and is not feathered to soften the edge. However the hemline of a blunt cut can still be shaped into a U (or whatever shape). It doesn’t have to be straight across. A U shape will still be a blunt cut if it doesn’t have layers and so is described as “all one length” despite the sides being shorter than the back.

Clear as mud?

lol.. thank you, very clear!! got it now. blunt = no layers regardless of the shape! much appreciated.

Lady Stardust
April 18th, 2018, 01:46 PM
lol.. thank you, very clear!! got it now. blunt = no layers regardless of the shape! much appreciated.

Yeah see, why couldn’t I put it as succinctly as that? :-)

MidnightMoon
April 18th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I like a U or a blunt |__| I wish I can have blunt but with how my ends are and how I have to cut my own hair a U it is unfortunately. I hate a bunch of layers where the hair is thicker on top and thinner like a tail at the bottom, it always looks unbalanced to me.

Basically my exact opinion. I thought I was the only one. I don't know why, but my eyes automatically go to the shorter pieces, and it doesn't let me see the longest length... the unevenness is too distracting, specially the more dramatic is the V. Sometimes it looks so full at the shorter parts that it seems most of the hair is rather short, and not "real" X length. My hair is fine and quite damaged at the ends, so even though I have a very soft U, almost blunt, it still looks like a bit of fairytailing is going on. It's not intentional though. I hope the thickness eventually comes down cause fine hair+waves+my thickness (just average) are already too much going on. If I had uneven lengths it would be a mess.

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Yep, blunt is a sharp cut, whether it's a V, U or all even at the bottom.

Glitch
April 18th, 2018, 02:51 PM
... Basically my exact opinion. I thought I was the only one. I don't know why, but my eyes automatically go to the shorter pieces, and it doesn't let me see the longest length...

I agree. My hair is naturally wavy and if left alone, will start to dry as about 4 giant fairytale "strands" all together lol, due to the way my texture just is. It makes it seem like I have shoulder length hair because my eyes are drawn to the thickest point :P But yeah all a matter of preference -my personal favorite look is a blunt, straight across, full hemline. Eye candy to me :inlove: