PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly Does Oil Do?

ssjhotau2
September 9th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm just curious, I assumed that oil would add moisture to my hair and I didn't really think much about it or do any research. I was bored at home the other day and decided to play around a bit.
I added some olive oil to my hair and let it set while I did the dishes, then washed it out immediately afterward. Overall it was there maybe 20 minutes at the most.
After I'd washed my hair it was kinda brittle/crunchy feeling with so much static... It was almost as though I'd used a harsh shampoo.
Is this how they're suppose to be? Or would it be worth it trying out another type of oil?

aisling
September 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Read the article about oiling (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71), I think it will answer many of your questions. I'd like to add to that, I prefer oiling damp hair, not dry.

Nat242
September 9th, 2008, 11:32 PM
It depends on the oil, on your hair, and technique. Was it Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) ?

Oil should add shine and moisture to your hair. It can also be used to reduce frizz and smooth hair down, and ease detangling. As you didn't get this result, you could try dampening your hair before hand (so the oil has something to "seal in"). Some people oil dry, others wet or damp. Results vary. You could try a different oil - EVOO has been found to penetrate the hair, but I find it it be a bit too heavy. Coconut oil (unrefined, extra virgin) is very popular, as it is penetrating, light, and helps prevent protein loss.

Have you seen this article? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71)

ETA: We must have posted at the same time, so yeah, what Aisling said ;)

ssjhotau2
September 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Reading the article now, will bookmark.

It was EVOO that I used and I was thinking of buying coconut oil before that. After my attempt with the olive oil I changed my mind. I asked though, because I was intrigued by hot oil treatment... is this along the same lines or something else entirely?

edit: After reading I will give coconut oil a chance.

Shanarana
September 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Don't give up...some oils work good for some while not so good for others. Find what works for you. I would give coconut oil a go.

Arctic_Mama
September 10th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Oiling saves my hair, but it has to be the RIGHT oil! I am a coconut fan and am going to try camellia too, but EVOO is just too heavy for my skin, my hair, and a lot of my cooking too!

Hair type and wash routine will both dictate how much oil you use, how often, and if its with heat or not. I oil before I shampoo, lightly after, and as needed during the week to maintain soft ends and a sheen. I am an oilaholoic, I think :)

sherigayle
September 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I hated olive oil too. Jojoba was too heavy and made my hair greasy. But Almond Oil is great. I put it on damp hair and it comes out so shiny and soft. It's so soft that I can't keep an updo for the first couple of days unless I have some braid waves. Try one of the lighter oils and I think you'll be surprised.

sherigayle
September 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Also the almond oil makes my skin really soft. I use it all over right out of the shower and I put a tiny dab on my hands every day. I have kids so I wash my hands a lot. It's even good on my face.

ssjhotau2
September 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
So Coconut oil and Almond oil. Got it. :)
Thank you so much. A portion of next paycheck will most likey go to one of those.

wintersun99
September 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Kittee
September 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I am a coconut oil fan. EVOO is too heavy for me, and I haven't tried the other kinds...Oh but...

VO5 hot oil treatment is different than "oiling" your hair. A different result. :) I like it.

ssjhotau2
September 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I am a coconut oil fan. EVOO is too heavy for me, and I haven't tried the other kinds...Oh but...

VO5 hot oil treatment is different than "oiling" your hair. A different result. :) I like it.

How is it different? Better? worse?

Ohio Sky
September 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I've never tried the VO5 hot oil thing specifically, but I have some of the GR hot oil treatments and I adore them.

When doing a heavy oiling, most leave it on for a few hours if not overnight, and warmth helps it to soak in. I wouldn't try to do a heavy oiling with an oil that I wasn't sure my hair would like.

I always add a drop or two of coconut oil to my hair after washing, before bed, in the morning, I'm a walking coconut. :silly:

Anyways, they have the coconut oil at Rite Aid, but we don't have much else around here. I have coconut oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and some of the GR oil treatments. If you want to try any of it before splurging, lemme know. ;)

danacc
September 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Here are the ingredients for V05 Hot Oil:

Water - Aqua , Cocotrimonium Chloride , Acetamide MEA , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Hydroxyethylcellulose , PEI-1750 , Oleth-20 , Propylene Glycol , Methylparaben , Disodium EDTA , Polyquaternium-10 , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein/Vegetable Amino Acids/Lysin , Phytantriol , Polysorbate 20 , Keratin Amino Acids , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Panthenol , Ascorbic Acid , Niacinamide , Biotin , Fragrance - Parfum , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Yellow 6 - CI 15985

It doesn't look much like oil... I'm sure that's why the effect is different, too.

You can do a "hot oil" treatment with coconut oil or EVOO. Note that a "hot oil" treatment is really a "warm oil" treatment. Something hot enough to make your skin uncomfortable is way too hot for your hair. Applying the oil, and then putting on a shower cap, or wrapping in a cling wrap with a towel on top to trap body heat is plenty warm enough.

Aisha25
September 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Here are the ingredients for V05 Hot Oil:

Water - Aqua , Cocotrimonium Chloride , Acetamide MEA , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Hydroxyethylcellulose , PEI-1750 , Oleth-20 , Propylene Glycol , Methylparaben , Disodium EDTA , Polyquaternium-10 , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein/Vegetable Amino Acids/Lysin , Phytantriol , Polysorbate 20 , Keratin Amino Acids , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Panthenol , Ascorbic Acid , Niacinamide , Biotin , Fragrance - Parfum , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Yellow 6 - CI 15985

It doesn't look much like oil... I'm sure that's why the effect is different, too.

You can do a "hot oil" treatment with coconut oil or EVOO. Note that a "hot oil" treatment is really a "warm oil" treatment. Something hot enough to make your skin uncomfortable is way too hot for your hair. Applying the oil, and then putting on a shower cap, or wrapping in a cling wrap with a towel on top to trap body heat is plenty warm enough.
Looks like it has evreything but oil:lol: