PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep my hair out of the way?

MusicMoose
January 17th, 2014, 04:59 PM
My hair is long (reaches to my butt) and I'd like a way to keep it out of my way. I'm RUBBISH at hair styling so simple suggestions would be nice xD. At the moment I generally just put it into a ponytail (though that doesn't really keep it out of the way, if I lean down it flops right back down in the way) or I use a chopstick and sort of spin it round my hair a couple of times then fold the point back under (only then I have the issue of potentially taking someone's eye out with a chopstick, also it isn't very secure).

Any suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Anje
January 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM
You sound like a person in need of buns, if ever there was one. YouTube is a good place for lessons on different ones. The Lazy Wrap Bun and Nautilus bun are both particularly easy and hold well with a hairstick. (I'd link you, but I'm on a tablet ATM and it's awkward...)

Shortening your chopsticks, or getting (shorter) hairsticks or hairforks, will definitely help prevent taking out your neighbors when you turn your head.

walterSCAN
January 17th, 2014, 06:51 PM
We're working on compiling a list of styles with photos and how-to video links here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682), if you want to check it out. The two buns Anje mentioned are listed there.

spirals
January 17th, 2014, 07:49 PM
The nautilus and lazy wrap are easy and hold well. If you can manage it, a french braid seems to travel less than a ponytail.

farmlass
January 18th, 2014, 02:39 AM
I agree with the above, nautilus and lazy wrap buns with a (shorter) hairstick are great. My hair is TB, but not all that thick, and a 6 inch stick is plenty long enough. Also, spin pins!! I can do a great cinnabun secured with spin pins, it stays flat to my head, stays put, and is easy to do even without a mirror.

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 02:50 AM
My favorite updo is french braiding my hair and then rolling it up behind it's self and then securing with spin pins at the back of my head. Also cinnamon buns are great.

furnival
January 18th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Everybody is rubbish at buns, braids etc until they learn how to do them. It's a skill- you can't expect yourself to be good at it if you've never learned how! I'd suggest learning the Lazy Wrap Bun and a simple braided bun for starters. Just watch some tutorials and spend an hour or so fiddling about with your hair- you'll be surprised how quickly you learn. Have patience and don't expect to be able to do it instantaneouly and you'll be grand. ;)

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I agree with buns, maybe crown braids, and I'd try a claw clip twist. You could find arc69 page of hair styles for longer hair. She has some great ones.

embee
January 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Have fun learning a few buns. :)

That's why I came to this site years ago - what to do with my hair? It was stupid looking the way I was putting it up, and I just didn't know what to do - leaving it loose was not going to work with my job or my lifestyle. But my dream of long hair was coming true, so it was time to learn some new tricks.

LauraLongLocks
January 18th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Everybody is rubbish at buns, braids etc until they learn how to do them. It's a skill- you can't expect yourself to be good at it if you've never learned how! I'd suggest learning the Lazy Wrap Bun and a simple braided bun for starters. Just watch some tutorials and spend an hour or so fiddling about with your hair- you'll be surprised how quickly you learn. Have patience and don't expect to be able to do it instantaneouly and you'll be grand. ;)

^^ This. Everyone has to start somewhere. Practice, practice, and you will learn. I give another vote for the nautilus bun. It's easy and fast.

Madora
January 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
You might want to check out the video tutorials of Torrin Paige on You Tube. Lot of helpful info there.

I like lace crown braids myself, or simple Heidi braids wound around my head. Whatever style you wish to try, always be sure to gentle detangle your hair before beginning.

I really like this two strand twisted rope braid by Lilith Moon. Very simple and elegant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Good luck! Keep practicing~!

MusicMoose
January 19th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks everyone :). I messed about with my hair for a bit and managed to do a nautilus bun. I couldn't recreate it again before work, but if I've done it once I'm sure I can do it again xD. Thanks for all the other suggestions too, will give them a try at some point ;)

YamaMaya
January 19th, 2014, 09:27 AM
The lazy wrap bun is the easiest bun I've ever done, second easiest is the cinnibun, but I don't have enough hair to get the full effect from that one.
This youtube channel has lots of easy to see and understand tutorials http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQqcMGmeioKw56g8vfNFjrw