PDA

View Full Version : Ruined nape hair

SThr
January 17th, 2014, 04:10 PM
So I've started wearing my hair in sleep braids most nights for the last few months. Before this I just wore it loose, and I've had a satin pillowcase for years. Lately I've noticed tons of breakage at my nape, with lengths between 4" and BSL. I might be getting fewer splits with the sleep braids, but I'm not really sure. My nape hair used to be the softest and most protected. Any ideas on what I should do instead of sleep braids?

ladylowtide
January 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I sleep on a stain pillow case with loose hair, or usually a top of the head stick bun with the stick going forward like a derby unicorn horn. I have dainty fragile nape hair and these seem to be the best methods for me.

Dziip
January 17th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Hey !
Sorry for you the braids don't seem to help.
One question, do you braid in the direction your hair goes in the night ?
I mean that if your hair is tied down and they try to move up it could pull on the nape hair. Personnaly, when i do,i braid upside down and let my braids rest over my pillow, over my head.
Not sure it helps

SThr
January 17th, 2014, 04:38 PM
I try to braid down over one shoulder and that's how it stays at night. With all the damage though, my nape hair ends up coming out of the braids.

Pamala513
January 17th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I sleep in 2 braids. I have notice my nape hair seems short . I don't know if it always that way or not as I have only been braiding it for the past 3 months.

jupiterinleo
January 17th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I used to sleep in a braid but I started getting the same problem. My braid would also be so frayed in the morning; I would wake up in the night and I would be sleeping on top of the braid. :rolleyes: I started sleeping with my hair loose again and that seems to be the best for me.

ashke50
January 19th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Could there be something else causing the breakage? For example, if it has been cold you may have been wearing scarves or higher necked jumpers that could be rubbing on your nape hair.

SleepyTangles
January 19th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Seems like the satin pillowcase isn't enough with braids... maybe a topknot bun held by a soft/satiny schrunchie would help you?
Also, sleeping with your hair nicely contained in a satin bonnet sounds good.

If your hair was happier before with loose hair on a satin pillowcase, maybe that was the best way :flower:! Every hair is a bit different, in the end.

edit: what about a single english braid on top of your head? sometimes I just throw my hair upside down and braid them like that!

Fairlight63
January 19th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I used to braid my hair at night also. I also have noticed that I have the same problem with short neck line hair. I have started to use my sleep cap every night, hopefully it will help & the neck hairs will grow out. My hair is loose in it so there is nothing to cause damage.

Brattina88
January 21st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Hmm this is making me worry. I thought my ruined nape hair was just from getting stuck/ ripped on my necklaces.... But maybe it's more than that... :confused:

door72067
January 21st, 2014, 01:26 PM
braiding didn't work for me, I was getting breakage all around my hairline (sides, back)

I'm a tummy sleeper, so I've decided not to worry about my hair at night as it's generally not under me anyway

lapushka
January 21st, 2014, 02:21 PM
I'd wear it loose again, if I were you. Why change something that works? Right? You don't. ;)

rose313
January 21st, 2014, 02:46 PM
I have short nape hair too! It's not broken, just shorter than the rest of my hair. I usually always sleep with a scrunchie or a braid. I wonder if I'm having the same problem?

martyna_22
January 21st, 2014, 02:50 PM
Same here. And to add insult to injury, my nape hair is really dry right now, even though I try to moisturize it properly. It tangles like crazy. It's always been considerably shorter than the rest of the hair, so I don't worry about it that much. I've been brading my hair for bed since 2011 I think - and it's showing right now? Something smells off here as well..

meteor
January 21st, 2014, 03:10 PM
It's pretty obvious to me that different hair can take different levels of stress and handling.
I've met a few people with very, very fine and silky hair who claim that their hair breaks when braided.
I guess what I would recommend for braiding such fine hair overnight is:
- wrap your loose hair in a silk satin completely smooth scarf or long hood (with nothing for your hair to catch on);
- do a loose caterpillar braid on top of that scarf;
- make sure your hair is resting above your head when you sleep (don't roll on your hair, keep it as far away from your face as you can).

SThr
January 21st, 2014, 03:15 PM
I think I'll go back to sleeping with it loose, boyfriend can deal with it. If it gets to be too much I might try sleep caps, but I'll probably just let it all hang up above my head.

meteor
January 21st, 2014, 03:24 PM
I think I'll go back to sleeping with it loose, boyfriend can deal with it. If it gets to be too much I might try sleep caps, but I'll probably just let it all hang up above my head.

Good idea.
And if you hair is fragile enough to break from loose braids, I really do recommend sleeping on silk satin (charmeuse) or some other smooth material. You don't need to buy a new pillowcase or sleep cap, you can use an old silk scarf/shirt/etc.

cat11
January 21st, 2014, 05:36 PM
try sleeping with it in a very loose, scrunchied bun on the top of your head covered by a satin cap. You shoudn't experience problems this way, especially if you use a cap that doesnt have elastic on it ( a nicer one) because I have felt like the elastic was causing breakage to my baby nape hairs before too.

Glad you made this post because i had been recently considering switching to a braid and I wont now!!

ExpectoPatronum
January 21st, 2014, 09:25 PM
I wish I knew how to help. My nape hair has always been...less nice than the rest of my hair. :( You're not alone in this!