PDA

View Full Version : Styling hair at a salon - will it damage my hair way too much?

martyna_22
January 17th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I'm going to feel really guilty about my hair three weeks from now.
I'm having this party that schools throw in Poland - about 100 days before my final exams. I used to be very cool about it, and thought I'd go easy on ym hair, but it turns out that everybody goes to have their hair styled. Seriously.. I'm sick of having my hair up every day. I haven't touched my hair with heat tools for two years now (with an exception of blow drying - twice).
My hair is really healthy, I get frizz but I've always had problem with it.
And now, it turns out I want to look as good as I can - I'm supposed to. I want to.
Will curling my hair with heat tools and making it last with hairspray have any noticeable effect on my hair?

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2014, 03:57 PM
weeeeee... studniówka time :D :D :D my sister is going to hers very soon as well, exciting!

seriously, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience so you shouldn't feel bad about it. I used to curl my hair every day a few years ago and my hair is doing alright now so it should be fine if you take care of it afterwards.

if I were you and wanted to have it curly and styled I would start playing around with no-heat curling methods now to find the most flattering style that I would recreate on the day, maybe fix a few sections with a curling iron if there was any need for that. But if you want to see a stylist - enjoy it and don't feel too bad about it.

martyna_22
January 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Thenk you for your response :)
Well, I used to try many heatless curls methods.. and the thing is, it just either makes my hair way too pouffy (rag curls) or gives me uneven curls or there's usually something wrong. For once, I'd like to know that it'll turn out just the way I want it to be - and to keep it in place (due to hairspray, still I wouldn't know how much to use it ;)).
Many people are going to see it :D I want them to be impressed!

And I actually bought cassia to neutralise it even a little, do you think it might help? Or maybe make the hair less prone to curling?

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2014, 04:14 PM
well then :) find a good stylist who you can 'trust' as in they won't mess your hair up so check their references. If you have the possibility 'test' their abilities so you won't be...unpleasantly surprised. After the big night pamper your hair. slather on conditioner and treat it nicely and you should be fine. I hope ;)

martyna_22
January 17th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks again :)
I've already been there once and the hairdresser cut off excatly as much as I wanted to - so I'm pretty convinced they won't shave me there or anythig ;)
I've looked for opinions as well and everyone is generally pleased with the results.
I'm going to have a little trim beforehand, just to get the hemline right. I haven't had my hair ''done'' in such a long time that I don't remember what it's like anymore ;)

And may your sister have an amazing studniówka as well! :D

HintOfMint
January 17th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a fantastic occasion! One dalliance with heat styling won't ruin your hair, and besides, hair is meant to be enjoyed. Have fun!

martyna_22
January 17th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a fantastic occasion! One dalliance with heat styling won't ruin your hair, and besides, hair is meant to be enjoyed. Have fun!

stachelbeere
January 17th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks again :)
I've already been there once and the hairdresser cut off excatly as much as I wanted to - so I'm pretty convinced they won't shave me there or anythig ;)
I've looked for opinions as well and everyone is generally pleased with the results.
I'm going to have a little trim beforehand, just to get the hemline right. I haven't had my hair ''done'' in such a long time that I don't remember what it's like anymore ;)

And may your sister have an amazing studniówka as well! :D

well then there you go :D post some pictures if you get the chance hehe

I'm pretty sure my sister will have fun ;) she has naturally curly hair and she's going to get a cut a few days before but I don't think she'll do anything super fancy with it as she's a very laid back person. You too have a great time!

walterSCAN
January 17th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Just make sure you don't brush through the hairspray (wash it out first!) when you're done and have a great time at the party!

martyna_22
January 18th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I'll have just enough photos, I think, so I'll be happy to post something (unless I look like a complete weirdo, obviously ;))
I hate this crispy feeling of hairspray.. but I'll try to cope! :)

Selkie-
January 18th, 2014, 01:04 AM
I think you should enjoy this special occasion and the beautiful hair that you have grown out with so much care - play and have fun with it. It's not going to hurt to heat style it one time.

Post some pictures please and have a blast! :)

joflakes
January 18th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Aww, don't feel bad about one event. Just enjoy it! Afterwards you can deep condition and pamper your hair. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Libbylou
January 18th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Just do it and enjoy your beautiful hair for the day. Isn't that one of the reasons you grew your hair long, to enjoy the pretty styles? I had my very first updo by a stylist this past September. No damage done to my hair. She had to use a ton of stuff to keep my curls in place and even teased it. I am glad I did it and would do it again if I had an occasion that called for fancy hair.

martyna_22
January 18th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Thank you all for all your kind replies :)
When I began my hair journey, I thought I'd wear it down all the time, maybe even style it every once in a while.. but it all went away. And I have a really good excuse to make it happen anyway :)
I wish I hadn't cut my hair from waist to BSL a while back. But it's not an arm, it'll grow back! ;)

martyna_22
February 14th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I am so glad I took your advice! I loved my half up, and the hairdresser was so considerate! She took off excatly as much as I wanted and I really enjoyed myself! The only pictures I have right now are quite poor quality, but you'll get the gist of it :) I'll get many more photos when the time is right! :)
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y441/martynaw22/2014-02-08150824_zps170fdaef.jpghttp://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y441/martynaw22/2014-02-08150830_zpsd9e00792.jpg

stachelbeere
February 14th, 2014, 04:52 PM
super pretty Martyna!!!! did she fasten the hair loop at the back with bobby pins?

martyna_22
February 15th, 2014, 02:29 AM
super pretty Martyna!!!! did she fasten the hair loop at the back with bobby pins?

Yes, she did, and it looked the same all night. The bobby pins didn't slip out or anything and hairspray did the rest of the job :)

Mizumi
February 15th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Hairstyle is really cute :) I had my studniówka month ago and I had my hair styled at salon as well. Hair is for people, not people for hair ;)

martyna_22
February 15th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Hairstyle is really cute :) I had my studniówka month ago and I had my hair styled at salon as well. Hair is for people, not people for hair ;)

Thank you :) My thoughts excatly! My studniówka was so amazing, that it was definitely worth getting my hair "done" conventionally. If I'm to have photos reminding it for the rest of my life, why not make them worthwhile? ;)