PDA

View Full Version : Your hair when you were a child?

EvelynMay
January 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Did you have long hair as a child? short? how does it differ to now? A lot of the times mothers choose their hairstyles for their child, especially when we are very young, and it's common for mothers to choose long hair for their daughters. That was me as a child! My mom kept my hair long and all one length. It was definitely past my waist. And I oftentimes wonder why as she always had a hard time brushing it out when she would wash my hair and I hated it being brushed! I was too young to know that I should have done that on my own everyday... haha. She occasionally put it up for me, but not often. As soon as I started caring about my own appearance at like 10 or 11 my mom let me cut it short! I cut it up to my chin. I kept it short for years until high school when I started wanting long hair again, and I've continued to keep it long :)

renarok
January 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM
I had a short bob with bangs. I really didn't have an opinion about my hair style til junior high when I grew it out long and parted it in the middle.

AliceRuth
January 17th, 2014, 11:16 AM
My mum cut my hair until I was about 10 and it was never longer than just touching my shoulders. It was chin length since going to the hairdressers, but then I had it cut to pixie last July. My mum no longer has any input on how I have it, but I suppose she just kept it short because it was easier to maintain.

Weewah
January 17th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I've had long hair my entire life, always around mid-back length. Except for some reason in first grade I got a short haircut and I hated it and promptly grew it back out. My mom had a hard time detangling my hair too! It always hurt when she did.

millyaulait
January 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I had long hair (TBL) with straight across bangs, right up until I moved school when I was 8 or 9. I had soon become great friends with a girl with a short bob, when I went to her house I saw her brushing her hair and I was amazed at how fast and easy it was! I decided right there and then that I wanted my hair cut like that so I didn't have to spend so long brushing it. My mother wasn't very happy, but boy did I love brushing my hair after that! :laugh:

Since then I've had pretty much every style I ever wanted. I've gone back to long hair (I didn't take care of it, just never bothered to cut it), had a very short asymmetrical bob, dyed it every colour under the sun, shaved one side off, etc.

Now I'm 24 & at waist. I don't think I will be cutting it again. All the short hair stuff is out of my system now, but I don't think I want to grow longer either due to the terrible tanglemonster that is my hair.

vanillabones
January 17th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Mine was black when I was born and soon faded into my natural color that I still have today (light ash brown.) I wish my hair would grow up it is the same now as it was when I was a very young child. I always loved my summer cut when my mom would cut it into a short bob with bangs for me which I loved because I'd spend all summer in the pool. All through my teens I experimented though starting with highlights in middle school then I grew it to midback early highschool the longest it probably ever was then I cut it all off myself and had it fixed into the pixie I wanted at the hairdresses and would box dye it the darkest brown possible. From there I bleached it white and sometimes wore clip in extensions until I got the 'bonded keratin extensions'. My hair was a mess and I joined LHC and have cut out all the damage since then. My hair literally is the same it was as a child... I wish the texture would change would thicken up get some waves - anything! :( but oh well, now I know how to heat-free style and hope to learn a lot more of braids, buns, etc. but the length and health are my first priority. I'll never cut it again so I just tell myself 'it will never be shorter than it is today' - that's what gets me through.

blue_eyes
January 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM
My mom kept my hair the same from when I was little all the way until about grade 8, when I finally decided to cut it to an edgy bob. Up until then it was just about APL with bangs straight across my forehead. I never liked it, but I was so used to it that I didn't think much about it. Looking back on those photos I just think "wow that looked awful! How could my mom let me look that that for all those years?" haha. Never again. After having the bob for a few years I let it grow out to WL, then cut it to APL involuntarily due to breakage/damage and now I'm growing it out again.

Hele
January 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
my hair was down to my knees through my early elementary school years, up until my mom decided to chop it back to shoulder length. She also stuck me with very thick, straight across bangs that were a pain to grow out in my early teens. Other than a head shaving phase in high school it's been long ever since!

lapushka
January 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
As soon as I started caring about my own appearance at like 10 or 11 my mom let me cut it short! I cut it up to my chin. I kept it short for years until high school when I started wanting long hair again, and I've continued to keep it long :)

At age 5/6, I wanted long hair, because a lot of my classmates had long hair (up to this point it was kept short, pageboy style short). As soon as my mom found out I meant it, I was allowed to grow it long, and so it grew to classic length. When I was 10/11, I wanted it all gone and had it cut short again, pageboy style. I hated my hair being brushed when it was long (hurt like hell), but still I regretted my hair cut the next day. All of my beautiful hair was gone. Up to this day, my mom saved the ponytail.

Magalo
January 17th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I remember having to be careful to not sit on my hair. It was loooong. :) I had straight bangs (well, not so straight since mom cut them LOL). She used to braid it often, too.

Rio040113
January 17th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Mine was all one length (minus my straight across bangs), somewhere between tbl and classic, when I was little. It got chopped into a short bob when I was around 9 and since then I've been bob - almost bcl and everywhere in between, maintained at waist for a good while though.

Redvelvetdragon
January 17th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I had all kinds of lengths. I have photos of myself as a 3 year old with a really cute pixie. I have photos of myself as nearly a tween with hair down to my elbows.

Currently, I'm trying to get back to my elbow aka wasit length.

I also noticed that it's a little lighter than it used to be, and a lttle waivier too. Weird. It used to be nearly raven black. It's still raven, but flares chestnut sometimes in bright sun.

Gaelle27
January 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I had long hair as a child, longer than waist, and very curly! Always in a half up, to show of the curls
I hated it :p It was a pain to detangle!
As a teen I keept it around APL

Sammy-Catherine
January 17th, 2014, 12:47 PM
My mom always had me grow my hair to waist length and then cut a foot off for locks of love. I don't donate my hair anymore but I do still keep it around waist length. My hair also used to be strawberry-blonde in the sunlight but now its mostly dark blonde.

ExpectoPatronum
January 17th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I miss my childhood hair :( Except maybe it's color.

It was loooong. Maybe past my waist. And straight. 1a/1b straight. I really don't know where this wave/curl I have now comes from. It was also a rather pretty golden brown color. I got compliments on it a lot. It was also a lot thicker because I hadn't yet discovered dyeing and heat styling, nor was there a lot of stress to cause insane shedding :P

I do miss my old hair texture. Straight hair was much easier to deal with, though as my hair is getting longer the weight is pulling my wave out which I like. I like my color more now. A dark auburn kind of brown. (More brown than a true auburn, but still quite a bit of red).

Arete
January 17th, 2014, 01:27 PM
My hair was waist like at its longest, and chin length at its shortest. It was much darker than in is now. I can definitively call my hair auburn now, but up until 14 it was a darker brown with red tones, not auburn.

YamaMaya
January 17th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I had long hair as a child, then an overzealous hairdresser cut my hair all the way up to my shoulders, and I refused to go to the hairdresser for a long time. I'm not sure how long but at least a few years. My hair grew all the way down to classic length (not hard when you're 4 feet tall I suppose...) but it was the rattiest tangliest most awful mess, the ends got trashed and the damage creeped up several inches. Eventually I was so tired of having ugly hair that I relented and let my mom take me to a stylist that she said would do exactly as I asked and cut my hair back to APL, where I kept it for the majority of my childhood, occasionally growing to BSL if I didn't go to the hairdresser in awhile. I only went to the one my mom went to because she did as I asked and I only ever wanted it cut straight across, much to my mother's chagrin :lol:.

ellenajordans
January 17th, 2014, 02:15 PM
When I was around 10, my hair was long enough to sit on it but then around the age of 12 i go it cut quite short, and I've never grown it back until now. I love looking at the picture of when my hair was once long though!

woodswanderer
January 17th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I had long hair. I don't recall ever asking for short hair. My mom did insist on braiding my hair every day for school through elementary because she was worried I would catch head lice. It took me a long time before I was interested in braiding my hair by choice.

Ashflower89
January 17th, 2014, 02:51 PM
I had long(er) hair most of my childhood, and it was actually at its longest when I was 12, at BSL. But I was such a tomboy that I paid no attention to it, just brushed the tangles out and threw it behind my shoulders. The tomboy phase turned into a goth phase in school and I kept having it cut shorter and shorter. By senior year, I was finally over that and desperately missed it, but then the dying-every-color-of-the-rainbow phase began and it wasn't until spring last year that I REALLY decided to try growing it long again.

jacqueline101
January 17th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I had long hair as a child I chose it. I also had long hair as a teenager and up until I was 26 years old. I had a shag cut and loved it because it was a change. I did it after a terrible break up and then I decided two years ago to grow out my hair.

ladylowtide
January 17th, 2014, 03:46 PM
My hair grew like a weed when I was a kid. Now it is below average. I went from ear length to hip length (on a short kid body), in two years. I would just get periodic shoulder length chops to keep it manageable.

rose313
January 17th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I had long hair up until I was 8 years old. Then I had it cut to probably around BSL, kind of hard to remember though. Then at 10, my foster mother at the time decided I should have a bob, so that's what I got. After that, I grew it out until around 14 when I had it bobbed again, this time by choice, although it was shorter than I expected. For the rest of my teenage years I grew it almost to waist. At 19 or 20 I cut four inches due to damage, it eventually ended up at shoulder, and I've been growing it since.

HintOfMint
January 17th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I've kept a bob for much of my childhood until possibly the age of 8 and then I would grow it out to APL and then periodically cut it back into a long-ish bob, shag, whatever straight through freshman year of college. I finally realized that long hair really suited me and, try as I might, the bob was only cute when I was in kindergarten.

DweamGoiL
January 17th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Mine was around classic as a child. Then, when I was ready for first grade, my mom decided I needed a pixie. After that, I kept it at shoulder length until I was in my teens. I experimented with all different lengths and textures in my teens; dye jobs, perms, shaving, etc. Then, in my early 30's, I decided to actively start growing out my hair again and grew it to TBL. Once I had another child, I cut it to above shoulders. I got back into working out heavily and got lazier about the hair so every so often it would grow to BSL, but it was so dry so I would cut it back again. I did that for a good 4 or 5 years. Then, last fall, I decided to start growing again when it got to somewhere below BSL and mid-back.

jupiterinleo
January 17th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I had waist-length hair when I was really young, around 5-6, with bangs. In 1st or 2nd grade my mom cut it to nearly a bob, which was a terrible idea because I looked like a mushroom (my fine/thick density combination makes my hair poof out). I grew it out and started growing out my bangs in 4th grade.

Wosie
January 18th, 2014, 02:12 AM
I had nice, wavy (almost a tad curly) hair as a child, 'twas golden blonde. It got straighter and straighter the longer it got, and when I was ~6 it was mostly straight. I never really had a haircut that cut much off, so it steadily grew and was at its longest when I was about 14 years of age, then I'd say it was 1b. It was about hip length then, I think... Better check some old pictures to be sure. :) I never cared much about my hair, I absolutely did not take proper care of it, I just let it grow. I did brush it daily, however. I was intrigued by split ends, and liked to grab hold of both of the split ends, and pull until it ripped apart. I did this on other people's hair as well. I surely couldn't do that anymore! shudder:

I started cutting my hair in hair salons when I was 14-15 and when I was 17 I cut it rather short (chin length) and coloured it for the first time (black) in the same period. I kept it black but started colouring it dark brown after a few months, and then I got bored of the colour and the colouring process and when a person in school said that my outgrowth was getting really long, I got irked and cut all the coloured hair off during the next summer holidays and had short hair (~6 cm/2 in) and grew it out again...
Now we're heading out of the teenage years, so my story ends here. :D (I hope it's OK that I count the teenage years as the child years as well)

restless
January 18th, 2014, 03:01 AM
I had all kinds of hairstyles as a kid- long (somewhere along APL-BSL), short (ear lobe lenght), bangs, no bangs... My parents have always been very supportive and let me do whatever I want to when it comes to clothes and hair and Im really grateful for that. Never once have they tried to dictate how I should or shouldnt look. Sure Ive done fashion mistakes but hey... Live and learn and have fun. My mom always helped me with my hair though and brushed it and made pretty braids and half ups when I asked her to.

Of the Fae
January 18th, 2014, 03:47 AM
Oh man was I screwed, I have very fine thick hair that tangles like a beast. This resulted in my mom keeping it short. Ranging from boy cut to bob or shoulder. The longest I've ever had as a kid was APL, but I got so tired of the brushing pain (and so did she :P) that we had it cut back to chin.
I can relate, I hated having my hair brushed as a kid, so this was definitely the best solution.
But I was always a little envious of those girls with fairy tale princess hair if you know what I mean :P Long and pretty.
It did result in me trying to grow it out this time, but my brushing frustration has led me to cut it all off even a few months ago. I hope to conquer this time :P

LauraLongLocks
January 18th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I had my hair in a short to medium bob as a young child. My mom didn't know how to do anything beyond pigtails, and always used elastics with metal, so I'm sure my hair was being broken off anytime I had my hair up. At age 9 I had my first pixie cut. I felt like a boy and was teased for looking like a boy. I had hair about APL when I was 12 yrs old, and kept it about that length until age 15, when I went for another pixie, only this time I totally shaved the back and kept it that way for a while. It was horrendous, really, but I wanted to be a little edgy and different. By the time I was 18, it had grown into a very short bob, and I got married. After we married we got right to work on having children, and soon I had no time to fuss with my hair, so I let it grow, and pulled it into a ponytail. I kept it between APL and MBL until I was 31. Then I cut it to a pixie because of headlice, and because I had worn my hair long for so many years, I couldn't really think if I felt like myself with long or short hair. Well, after the cut, I wore it short for a while. Everyone told me my short hair framed my face better, and took off 10 years. Despite all the encouragement to keep it short, I soon I let it grow out. I just didn't feel like ME with short hair. I can pull it off. I look good with short hair. I just think I look a lot better with long hair, and I feel like ME with it long. Plus, long hair is easier to care for. When I got to APL again, I decided to cut in layers and get bangs. The bangs really help to frame my face, doing what the short haircut did for my look. I like them. The layers are annoying, and don't look that great when they shred my braids. So, now I'm at my longest ever, having reached solid waist. I'm going no-trim for 2014, but I think I'll maintain a while when I reach TBL or classic to finish growing out those annoying layers. I want to get to knee length (or maybe longer).

Bombadillo
January 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I had a ridiculous style! I had a bowl cut that was shaved up underneath so far that I looked like one of those bead curtain room dividers! What on earth was I thinking, or mom for letting me do it for that matter.

Agnes Hannah
January 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Mine was even finer than it is now. It was a lovely mid brown colour with natural golden highlights. My mum didn't like long hair, she disn't understand my love and need of it, so my hair was kept quite short, longest was shoulder, but mostly a pixie or bob. When I was in my twenties, I let it grow, but didn't really care about it properly, so it grew to between apl and bsl. After many bobbed cuts and a final pixie, I decided enough was enough, I wanted it long. Since then, I have been growing and its probably the longest it has ever been now. Every day it is getting a little longer and that is good for me.

Vijikanth
January 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Mine was very thick and curly. It was kept at just above shoulder length till I started schooling. Seeing my long hair just recently my mom commented how I would react if she was untangling my hair when was a kid.

Trollkona
January 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Really long (waist/tlb), golden brown hair with bangs. My mother had to spend alot of time brushing och braiding. I remember her trying to put my hair in up in cute girly hairstyles but as the tomboy I was I always messed it up or just removed the hairbands myself when she wasn't looking. Even today I hate wearing my hair up, maybe a braid or a messy bun when im cleaning or workning... but i still prefer it to hang loose and free ;)

pwettyfleur
January 18th, 2014, 12:04 PM
i had my hair however i wanted, but i prefered in mid-length. Once i learnt to french plait it myself then it was much easier having it long, and ive had the whole cutting it all off because long is too much work, then regretting it for as long as i can remember.

0xalis
January 18th, 2014, 10:33 PM
When I was younger, I remember somewhat actively growing my hair out, and being proud of my long hair. I remember people noticing and admiring my hair. Most of the time I didn't think too much about my hair, but I remember being excited when my hair was long enough to cover my [unexistant] breasts! It was like being a mermaid :o

My hair got to about elbow/waist and I was AROUND there for about 2-3 years. Not because I hit terminal, but because I was growing WITH my hair! lol! [Keep in mind, I was a very small child, but I had a long torso as well.] I don't actually know how long my hair got in the end, I don't have any photographic evidence, but at the age of 10 I went for a chin-length bob. I'd been eying a pixie, but my [very wise] grandma told me that If I wanted to go that short, I should do it slowly, not all at once. I donated my hair and I was very proud of myself, as that was something I had put on my bucket list. :)
[Kinda sad, thinking about it now, knowing that my hair probably never even saw a wig maker :( ]

My little sisters tell people that my hair used to be long enough for me to sit on. It's cute how they overestimate it's length, and kinda flattering!

RainbowBowser
January 18th, 2014, 11:08 PM
As a child I rocked the mushroom cut likely for easy maintenance purposes. My hair length after that ranged from neck-length to BSL. My hair was a real b*tch for my parents because despite my relively straight texture my hair was the most prone to tangles. I generally had free reign on what to do with my hair by around 7 or 8. My mom had this 90's book on hairstyles and she probably tried almost all of them on my hair when I didn't care as much

askan
January 19th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Tadaa, my second most awkward school photo at 9 years old:

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz173/askansphotos/CIMG5141_zps5e571dae.jpg (http://s825.photobucket.com/user/askansphotos/media/CIMG5141_zps5e571dae.jpg.html)

I had pretty curly hair until i was 6 or 7. Mum cut my bangs with small kitchen scissors. I grew my bangs out later and had SL to APL hair all through grade nine and then I cut it all off! My aunt who cut it, just cut it to shoulder length to allow me to change my mind, but I had such a severe flashback to what i looked like when I was nine, haha

Tini'sNewHair
January 19th, 2014, 03:40 AM
I had a lot of different haircuts as a child. I think that when i lived with nan before starting kindergarden my hair was allowed to be longish (APL/BSL) but I remember having bangs - once mum took me in to live with her and the step dad, they did lots of boycuts on me, some looked kind of cute i guess but then my mum gave me rats tail type of haircuts to and mulets (im a GIRL! WHAT THE HELL!). When i had lice one summer, she almost shaved my head it was really really really short. After all of that, I stopped cutting my hair, I dont remember if its because i said no but i have a feeling that my hair grew THAT long (classic by my 5th grade) because mum just couldnt bother caring for my hair and I didnt care either.... nobody cared so it grew and grew and once it got to classic length, it seemed that i was pretty much the ONLY girl with such long hair and the attention was ridiculous, I couldnt let my hair down without a group of people and other kids coming to me to play with my hair so i chopped it all off in a french style (blunt cut to chin length and a blunt fringe) ...

After the classic length i think i must of kept it to around APL but then by the age of 16 i let it grow again.... when i arrived to Australia around the age of 18, my hair was at Hip. I then discovered the joy of experimenting a LOT more so i had all sorts of styles and colours done for a fair few years.... Now im 26 and im trying to grow my hair back to classic again and MAYBE even see where my terminal length is :) Im at MBL now.

I also have two daughters, one is 6 years old with currently at Hip length - When she was younger i did a lot of bob cuts on her or shoulder length/APL cuts because i wanted her hair out of the way and thats as far as i thought about it but then one day she said that she wants long mermaid or repunzel hair so i stopped cutting it. I wont cut her hair again until she decides what she wants to do and until then im really enjoying creating different braids for her :)

My youngest daughter is going to be 2 years old in a few months, shes never had a haircut and I plan to let her hair grow - the decission to cut her hair will have to be hers. Her hair now is to APL but she has the most adorable bouncy curls which keeps her hair up to about shoulder/neck line.

Decemberrose
January 19th, 2014, 04:00 AM
I wish that my mom would have let me be longhaired as a child, but NOOO! I had to be a boy!! :(
Short hair with bangs. My mom said that I screamed every time she brushed my short hair and thats why she kept it short. She did my bangs and they where always uneven! :(
People in the supermarked would come up to us and say " what a cute little boy"! ( NICE!!) SO humiliating :(
Then when I got older, about 10 years old I went to shoulder length and became a girl :D

My sister and I have had long hair since, my sister also had to be a boy! I guess thats why we love long hair so much today! :D

Soltimus
January 19th, 2014, 04:02 AM
I remember having a bowl cut when I was a wee one. I think by the time I started school it was somewhere between SL and APL. That's the length I had for most of my childhood and teen years. Never really thought about it much up until now where I'm trying to get it to classic. There were girls in my school with super long hair but my mam probably thought my length was more manageable. I also used henna a lot back then instead of the box dyes. When I was a teenager I got all punk or whatever and cut if off myself, dyed it black etc. To be honest I don't even remember for how long I kept it short. I know at some point in my mid twenties I'd grown it out and then chopped it off in a sort of spur of the moment thing. BIG mistake! At places it was less than an inch, other places it was maybe about 3 inches. I remember wearing brightly coloured scarves around my head for about six months until I was able to go to the salon and have something done with it. It was around this time I slowly started wanting to grow it really, really long. Took me a few years to learn that your hair won't grow if your hair dresser keeps telling you to trim it in order to grow it!

jasper
January 19th, 2014, 05:03 AM
When I was little, my mom kept my hair short, between ear length and chin length with bangs. When I started school, and met girls with long hair, I told her I wanted mine long, so I grew it longer for several years, but then, the trendy hair style was the short bob, so I had short hair again by middle school. I grew it longish through high school until the trend was big perms, and wore shorter, permed hair.

As an adult, I eventually stopped being so influenced by other people's hair style and trends. I don't like going to hair salons, stylist or barbers and never have, really, so I decided to quit doing that. Result: long hair.

QMacrocarpa
January 19th, 2014, 08:19 AM
My mother's preferred look her whole life has been short hair, so I had short hair as a child. I eventually wanted to grow it out, but it always got "trimmed" back to the short length my mother preferred. When I got old enough to effectively rebel, I got my hair cut super-short (mistake!) and then grew it out as long as I could (hit false-terminal around BSL) in high school and college. Then it was varying lengths from chin to APL or so for a while, until I began to get an inkling that I might be able to grow longer than BSL with more protective styles, and decided to try it. Now it's waist-length, and I enjoy it, and my husband likes to brush it sometimes, which is a nice bonus! My mother still would prefer it short, she only ever comments on it when she can cheerily say "Your hair is shorter!"

Aelith
January 19th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I never had hair longer than shoulder length as a child. When I was very young my mother felt my hair was too difficult to handle (it was thin and flyaway, prone to tangles), so she had it cut into a very short boy cut. From around 1st or 2nd grade until maybe 5th grade it was a varying lengths between chin and shoulder. Then the perms started. I never had truly long hair, the longest being just past my shoulders in high school (permed and teased to the max).

I will be 40 in a few months and, at APL, this is the longest my hair has ever been.

Boudicca
January 19th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Almost always waist length. It was cut to just past my shoulders (almost bra-strap length) when I was 7 and 14 - but I grew it to waist again immediately after with no trims. Can't remember why it was cut when I was 7. It was cut at 14 to help me grow my fringe out. I regretted it the moment I heard the scissor/cutting noise.

chen bao jun
January 19th, 2014, 03:08 PM
What I remember most as about my hair as a child was going from my mother sitting happily playing in my curls and twirling them into perfect spirals around her fingers to go to church to angry brushing, frizz and snarls and fights when I started school and she was in a rush (and my brother was born). When I was in second grade, she decided to start having it ironed straight. I remember her asking me, "don't you want to have pretty hair?" and how upsetting it was--I thought my hair was pretty already!
It was always around bra strap length, I was fine with that. I guess I thought it was terminal and it seemed long to me.
What I love about LHC is that now I have back the curls that can be twirled and feel very soft, exactly as I remember I had as a child. I missed my natural hair so much and didn't know how to recover it after the straightening. It now looks exactly as it does in my childhood photos before the straightening I hated so much.
My mom is happy about this too.

Mizumi
January 19th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Before I started growing I had hair everywhere from ear length to shoulder with short fringe. My mom always accepted my hair decisions. I loved my hair short, I used to be a tomboy and I couldn't stand having it up. Years 8-12 I experimented a lot with layers, different shapes. But at 12 I felt bored with my hair, and got quite influenced with epic anime hair I decided to grow it really looong.

Lostsoule77
January 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM
My hair was probably about BSL to WL when my neighbor, we were both 5, cut my hair off to about SL or shorter. My mom then had to fix it. After that it grew to about BSL and it stayed that length pretty much for most of school. Even at that length my classmates told me to cut my hair and that it was too long. It was probably somewhat damaged too. It was almost platinum blonde in the 7th grade picture I have. We lived at the pool all summer every summer and it got bleached from the sun and chlorine. My mother knew how to properly take care of hair though so it wasn't too bad. I started growing it longer when my mom wasn't able to trim it any longer. I had never gone to a salon so I just let it grow. I would trim it myself, but that was way past childhood.

Wisteria
January 19th, 2014, 09:33 PM
My hair was always between the lines of Shoulder length and BSL. My mom always got to pick my hairstyle, but I really didn't care about my hair except for getting it out of my face. (Besides, she was the one stuck brushing my tangle prone hair.) The only thing I got to choose was to pick the U-hemline. And I also had straight across bangs that I love/hated since I was six. I am glad that my mom stopped using hair spray on our hair at an early age. (She thought it was causing dandruff.) That way I never had to break the habit of using it.

In middle school I really started to let my hair grow, I got it to MBL and my hated bangs where 1/3 of the way grown. Sadly I got it layered when I spent the winter at my aunt's house. My mom tells me my dad was angry but I don't remember.

Thinking back on how I treated my hair... *wince* I knew nothing about hair and wish I had treated it better. Anyway, after a series of cuts, I'm back at BSL with just a few inches of layers/bangs to go. :) Almost gone.

MaryO
January 20th, 2014, 01:53 AM
I had longish hair (probably around APL) until I was about 10 and from then until I was about 17 I wore it short, not sure why as I don't think it suited me at all ( I really looked like a boy, not what I was going for...) My hair was quite a bit light I think and as straight as straight comes, I now have a bit of a wave- so I'm enjoying getting older! ;-)

wandlimb
January 20th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I had a short bob with a fringe (like my mum). I did want it to be longer but could never get past the tickly-back-of-neck stage. When I was 8 I got my forehead split open so I had my fringe heavier to hide the scar (I grew some of it out as the scar faded). When I was 16 I got it cut short in a style that looked lovely on the model (much thicker hair than me) but didn't really work with my fine hair. Then I decided it was now or never and grew it when I was 19. The fringe finally disappeared 5 years ago - the scar's fairly faint now, and it doesn't bother me now.

cat11
January 23rd, 2014, 09:02 PM
like a lot of other people I hated getting my hair brushed because I had thick, tangly curly hair. My hair was alot curlier when I was little, and also alot lighter. I have no idea why it got less curly but it did. Possibly because of heat damage and dying it alot.. when i was really little my parents kept my hair cut short, but then I grew it to about BSL until my mom pretty much forced me to let her cut it into this really, really short layered bob thing that made my hair literally look like an afro because my hair was huge when I was little. It seems alot of people in this thread have had an upsetting haircut incident.. my mom was the one who cut my hair because she used to cut hair at a salon so if she wanted to do something she did even if it wasnt what I wanted. I didnt want to get it cut and then I hated it and cried and cried and cried. Then I grew it out again but I hated my hair in middle school and I kept it up all the time bcause I thought it was just a mess. It was always a mess. I cut it really short at the end of middle school and then didnt stop wearing it short until like a year and a half or two years ago because It was just easy to deal with.

divinedobbie
January 23rd, 2014, 09:40 PM
My hair was usually a couple inches past my shoulders and really straight. One time when I was 5 and just going into kindergarten my brother got a round brush stuck in my hair and no one could get it out so they cut my hair at my ear level....I remember being so upset!! After that I grew it out and had straight across bangs for all my childhood. I hated my bangs but my mom wouldn't let me get rid of them. I still don't know why - she just thinks everyone should have a fringe. I would always brush my bangs to one side but since they were short they weren't truly "side bangs" and always looked really awkward. I started growing my hair long to the middle of my back (maybe waist) when I was about 11 and had long hair for a few years and then I started using heat and chemicals and it kept getting shorter.....I think the shortest it got was back to 2 or 3 inches below my shoulder. I got real side bangs when I was about 14/15 but they didn't suit me. Since then it's reached BSL and I've gotten rid of the bangs completely!

fraulein_doktor
January 24th, 2014, 04:36 AM
I always had a bob until I was about ten, then grew it to BLS just before puberty hit, my hair became darker and I started to lighten it, thus ending its infancy.

EmmAutumn
January 25th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Mine was around shoulder length before i decided i wanted the same haircut as my brother, because he never had to brush. So when i was about 5, my mom took me to the hairdresser and i rocked a boy-short haircut for a year or so. No regrets at that time, just freedom! :p Later on i wanted long hair again and grew it (with many cuts and trims in between) to waist length. When i was 14 i dyed it black (oh my emo phase, it looked horrible with my pale acne face but it was soooo cool) and so began my dyeing/bleaching struggle with my hair until i chopped it off last year.

pri108
January 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Did you have long hair as a child? short? how does it differ to now? A lot of the times mothers choose their hairstyles for their child, especially when we are very young, and it's common for mothers to choose long hair for their daughters. That was me as a child! My mom kept my hair long and all one length. It was definitely past my waist. And I oftentimes wonder why as she always had a hard time brushing it out when she would wash my hair and I hated it being brushed! I was too young to know that I should have done that on my own everyday... haha. She occasionally put it up for me, but not often. As soon as I started caring about my own appearance at like 10 or 11 my mom let me cut it short! I cut it up to my chin. I kept it short for years until high school when I started wanting long hair again, and I've continued to keep it long :)

I had long hair too, my Dad wouldn't let me cut it. but it was easier to have long healthy hair back then. now with the stresss, bad diet, its not that easy :(

Flournoy
January 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Had a bowl cut until i was about 7 then more or less a standard boy haircut for several years. In high school I had a buzz cut most of the time right up until I decided to grow it out. My initial goal was shoulder length so I could have a ponytail, but now its much longer and I am going for waist.

ZephyrStorms
January 25th, 2014, 02:35 PM
my hair was cut to shoulder-length, into bobs, and when dad forbade my hair to be cut because it was against his convictions (but I will not go into that), I was given several perms to make it thicker. I had super-fine hair. Like, so fine it was almost impossible to fix. I had a really cute barette made out of little baloons that I could never wear because my hair was not thick enough.

Katrine
January 25th, 2014, 03:00 PM
When I was five I had blonde, very fine hair about bsl. My mom was tired of me whining and crying when it came to detangling so she took me to the salon and they gave me a pixie cut. I hated it, I just loved my long hair but it didn't matter. I pretty much had to wear it chin to shoulder length with bangs until I got into junior high where I promptly grew my hair to waist length. I started cutting it by choice to shoulder length wanting to try different styles then grew it back out to MBL. For years I went through the perming, coloring and cutting phases and then decided I wanted to grow it really long to all one length with no bangs.

Sofialu
January 26th, 2014, 01:43 PM

Yup my mum had my hair down to my waist and it did look gorgeous as it had curls and was very blonde BUT I loathed the brushing - I got so many knots and when I was old enough to make up my own mind (age 10 I think) I had it all chopped off in to a bob. I did eventually grow it long again when I was 15 and since then have gone long/short/long again. My own daughter has her hair just above APL so she doesn't get the knots that I did but she loves long hair and I won't let it grow because of my own experience!

faellen
January 26th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I had long hair until I rebelliously hacked it off when I was 5 or 6. Ended up growing long again though - my mum loved to style it! I used to hate it being washed or brushed! It was definitely prone to knots, still is.

midbackorbust
January 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I had a buzz cut when I was a kid :D people thought I was a boy all the time

SkyChild
January 26th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I had all kinda of hairstyles - a bob with blunt fringe (5/6 years old) then a bob with the back shaved (8?) then long and side parted (11) and then from 13 onwards all kinds of crazy hairstyles and colours. My Mum never really had an opinion on my hair, she usually let me talk to the hairdresser or take pictures and left me to it - even my more wacky choices.

MultiCultiCurly
January 26th, 2014, 06:32 PM
My hair was so mistreated I'm surprised it was always past my shoulders. My dad's side didn't have curlies like me (well, there's only 2 other cousins, the rest are types 1 & 2), and my mom's side was all type 4's, mostly 4b and 4c, so neither approach was great, lol. My dad used to break brushes in my hair, and my mom would rip combs and brushes through my hair and slather my scalp in grease--all detangling sessions with anyone were tear-filled affairs. Basically, no one except for one aunt on my dad's side (who pretty much did the tightly curly method on me before that was a thing) knew how to manage curls as curls. I started getting my hair texturized, then relaxed and flat-ironed around 12 years old, then went natural when I was 22.