PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder stall

Nesoi
January 17th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Does anyone else feel like their hair totally stalled out at shoulder/collarbone length? It seemed to grow pretty quickly from ear to shoulder and now it just seems to hang out at that length, getting BIGGER but never any longer. I don't think it's breaking off and I don't get it trimmed (I do snip splits etc if I see them, but on individual hairs) and I look after it and everything, it just seems to be taking FOREVER to be anything other than shoulder length!

Did anyone who has grown past shoulder find this? Is there hope? I've had it waist length before so I know this isn't terminal. I do scalp massage in the shower and take pre-natal vits, so I don't think it's my behaviour that's making it so slow!

ravenheather
January 17th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Mine did this a bit. It flipped out at shoulder length so the flip got wider. It will eventually lay down. Try measuring wet to get a sense of your progress.

diddiedaisy
January 17th, 2014, 08:07 AM
I'm right there with you. It feels like it's never get any longer!!!

oatmealpie
January 17th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Your post helped me realize that my shoulder-length hair has finally stopped flipping. It flipped out for about 2 months, but it's recently grown past that. Fear not, fair Nesoi; this too shall pass.

arr
January 17th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Ive noticed that the longer hair gets, the slower it seems to grow. I realize its just a perspective thing, because the new growth becomes less and less compared to the length, if that makes sense.

vanillabones
January 17th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I grew out from ear length and the end of neck length to APL was THE LONGEST growing stage for me hands down D: I swear it took forever. I wore it up in a claw clip everyday so I didn't have to look or think about it. (I did not get trims often and was growing out bleach.) But don't worry it did eventually creep down my back! I feel like I was just a smidge above BSL just the other day and now it's below my bsl! Hang in there you, it's a real test of patience ;)

ositarosita
January 17th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I'm right there with you ... just keep bunning it and taking care of it, take your vits and before you know it and it will be at APL .... once we get to APL the time will fly

Ashflower89
January 17th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I definitely know what you mean, I haven't been able to grow past shoulder/collarbone the past few years because I always got bored and chopped, feeling like collarbone was the longest it was gonna ever get. I had the same thing other people described, just an increasingly dramatic FLIP of my ends unless I straightened the crap out of it. But this time around I have all you awesome LHC hair-growing motivators and I'm determined to hit waist! =D

ositarosita
January 17th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I definitely know what you mean, I haven't been able to grow past shoulder/collarbone the past few years because I always got bored and chopped, feeling like collarbone was the longest it was gonna ever get. I had the same thing other people described, just an increasingly dramatic FLIP of my ends unless I straightened the crap out of it. But this time around I have all you awesome LHC hair-growing motivators and I'm determined to hit waist! =D

We shall overcome shoulder - I've done the same thing.. this is the longest my hair has been in years because it gets to collarbone and CHOP

jeanniet
January 17th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I grew from chin to past hip, and the longest stage was chin to APL. It just took forever. Then to BSL, then waist, then hip, was much faster. Just be patient--once you get past APL, things will go better.

two_wheels
January 17th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Totally. Just put it up every day and one day it magically becomes apl. Hope it happens soon for you!

ladylowtide
January 17th, 2014, 04:38 PM
It took a long time, almost 9 months to get from brushing shoulder to APL. I wasn't actively trying to grow my hair out during that time so I just had it loose like I usually did. It's crazy that it took that long for a couple of inches. It seemed to be faster APL to BSL, and BSL to Waist.

Panth
January 18th, 2014, 01:28 AM
The "getting bigger, not longer" seems to be a wurly/curly problem. You need to wait until it gets long enough that it is heavy enough to start pulling out the wurls. In the meantime, try measuring monthly your stretched length? I'm sure you'll see progress that way.

ErinLeigh
January 18th, 2014, 02:53 AM
I swear it took me a full year to get from SL to APL last year, and I mostly only microtrimmed. It is like a trip into the great abyss getting to APL for me. I have already been at CBL for last 3 months with no change at all it seems! It is even worse with my layers.

Tini'sNewHair
January 18th, 2014, 06:07 AM
It actually took me a whole year to grow from shoulder to APL and only 4-5 months from APL to above BSL so obviosly my hair stalled before which was verrry painful, i was starting to think that thats it for me, my hair just wont go to APL but it did - fast forward to present day and im getting closer to waist :) you wont be stuck there either!

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Mine went through the shoulder to apl with flying colors. It's bsl I'm stuck at. I feel your pain on stalled growth.

Nesoi
January 18th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Thank you so much for the replies and encouragement. I have just measured it and it has actually grown 3 inches since the last time :D It just doesn't feel like it because of the dreaded flip! It's good to know this too will pass eventually.

SouthernSweetie
January 18th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I'm right there with you! I would already be at APL if I didn't have to trim(I'm growing out a bleached mess)! AHH. I've been trying to grow it out since November, and with a couple 1/2 inch trims thrown in, it really looks like and feels like I'm getting NO WHERE! I know it's growing because it's starting to lay down a little better, and I can definitely tell my layers are getting longer, but I'm still an inch from APL with dry hair. I could really go ahead and call it because it is right on the line...but I don't want to call it too early and then it take me even longer to reach BSL. I want to be a 'solid' APL with no question before I graduate to the next length thread! :D I'm still in the "flippy" stage, and I can't wait until my hair starts to behave itself!
We can do this! Patience is key, and I have NONE. :brickwall