PDA

View Full Version : A thought on cutting bangs....

DarleneH
January 17th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I haven't seen anyone else mention this specifically, so I thought I'd bounce this off you guys.

My hair is nicely thick.....except around my hairline. If I pull it straight back (making a chignon, bun, or just a half-up) from around my face, it ends up looking really thin right around the edges. So I constantly keep all that around my face kind of floofed to try to hide the thinness there. I'm debating on cutting bangs, thinking that the then hair that I normally floof up and back would instead come forward more to hide that thinness.

Have any of the rest of you analyzed your hairline like this and had that train of thought about bangs? I don't have a decent camera to take a picture of this (the lens I had for that was broken in an accident) so I can't show you. I'll try this weekend to post some pictures I've been saving of bangs to see if you guys have ideas on them.

emilia1992
January 17th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah that happened to me in secondary school. We had to keep our hair off our faces so I pulled my hair into a really tight ponytail every single day, all day. And my hairline looked really thin near the forehead (actually, from certain angles I looked bald because the hairline just rose higher and higher!). I did cut a fringe in, and it did work because I was no longer pulling it. And now I've grown the fringe out, the hairline still looks thicker. So this might work for you too, but I don't know if your hair is thin because of pulling like mine was! Anyhow, you could try doing your updos with a parting, so as not to pull the hair straight back from the face - this might hide it a bit. :)

Kaelee
January 17th, 2014, 07:43 AM
If the hairline is thin from pulling, make sure you remedy the pulling because otherwise, it'll just get thin further back after you cut the bangs.

It would work. It may or may not help the hair grow back in that area, but it will definitely hide the thinness.

I have a weird thin spot right BEHIND my bangs, which I chalk up to having a cowlick. :lol: I used to obsess about it, wondering how it got there and worrying about traction alopecia but I determined it couldn't possibly be that. It's just my weird crooked part. It doesn't bother me anymore.

vanillabones
January 17th, 2014, 10:48 AM
I'm not one for bangs but I say go for it. I love bangs on other people esp thick blunt bangs, or soft side swept. I would have bangs if my hair was thicker and looking at inspiring hair pics makes me want some even more but I know I can't. I had bangs all through my teens and looking back they looked terrible on me and half of my hair went towards having thick bangs which just is never going to happen for me.
You could always try some clip-in fake bangs that match your hair color just to see if you like them but I do think cutting your own hair into bangs will help hide the thinner hairs around your hairline. I have those hairs too but just clip them up under a bun after I make the bun with a bobby pin or barrette.

breezefaerie
January 17th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I have bangs because I have a super high forehead and thin hair. My face looks like a big, bald moon if I don't have bangs!

Berlie
January 17th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Go for bangs! I have worn them on and off over the past few years. I just recently went back to bangs after painstakingly growing them out for a year. My hairline is also thin, and I can't wear my hair up if I don't have bangs. With the warmer weather right around the corner (wishful thinking!!!), I will have to wear it up and now I can with my bangs :)

ExpectoPatronum
January 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I cut bangs last week and it was the best decision really. I have an oddly shaped hairline and it hides that well. Plus they're extremely flattering with my face shape. I actually feel attractive now lol. I say go for it. If it doesn't help the thinning problem (and it should, since you won't be pulling), then you can always grow them back out.

ErinLeigh
January 18th, 2014, 03:26 AM
I have an odd hairline and a thin spot at temples and I know bangs would look better on me and would make updos look better. I haven't made the cut because I live in Florida and the bangs will frizz right up so it is pointless. I do, however, fold my hair in half all the time and look at myself with "bangs" wishing I could have them.

Zindell
January 19th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I have finally found the perfect solution for myself! Very long, parted bangs... more like faceframing layers I guess. Because I don't like my bangs short... it looks silly on me, and if I grow my bangs out all the way I look boring. My solution is parted bangs that grows out to somewhere between my nose and chin.

This is what I'm talking about... (look at her "bangs" that shows better off 45 seconds in and forward when she has her hair up).
- Lost Season 3 Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBCvryIc4Wc)

DarleneH
January 19th, 2014, 03:21 PM
It's not thin from pulling back tightly. I really think those spots never recovered as nicely after I had a bad experience on Depo-Provera a few years ago. That awful garbage was causing major fall-out all over and male pattern baldness on those areas that are still thin now. The rest of my head recovered wonderfully but those sections right there at my hair line seem thinner now than they were before. I really wish I had a camera I could do a decent pic of this but I'm needing to hold off on unnecessary money expenditures at the moment.

I'm actually considering applying Monistat or castor oil to just those spots. HMMMMMMMmmmmm....