PDA

View Full Version : Too much Benign Neglect!

MeowScat
January 16th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I just spent FIVE hours S&Ding (Search and Destroy for those who have never heard of this...snipping off splits and white dots). I haven't done this since this past Summer.

I had always kept up with my S&D so much that it became difficult to find damage, so I figured I could take a long break from it. I wear my hair in a Lazy Wrap Bun on top of my head all day and night held with a hairstick. I use sulfate-free shampoo and an awesome cone-free conditioner. Wide tooth comb, satin pillowcase, zero heat, etc. You know the drill.

I just snipped off THOUSANDS of ends. I started by snipping them off one by one because I didn't see too much yuckiness when I held my hair up by my face. Then I let my hair fall straight down under the light, so the light "spilled" over my length. I gasped so loud, my cat woke-up!

I decided to S&D the other way, by letting my length slip through my fingers, and snipping the ones that stuck out. Anywhere from an eighth to a quarter of an inch was snipped. I decided to use my $80 scissors instead of my $20 scissors this time.

Even though I'm a brunette, I found more damage when I held my hair up against a black background instead of a white one. It made those white dots suddenly appear.

So...for all of my fellow Benign Neglecters, here's a friendly reminder to check your ends, under different light sources at different angles and with different backgrounds, if you haven't in a while. Yikes!!

LadyLongLocks
January 16th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I did a S&D yesterday. Standing by the window in natural light against a dark sheet and I could find them. I had not done a S&D in a year so I had some splits. I focused mainly on the ends but need to do more on the lengths.
I may spend 30 minutes at a time doing it. I like to cut the nasty splits off!

Bombadillo
January 16th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I know what splits are and I've heard of white dots but what exactly are white dots? Isn't that just some flaky skin that can be pulled out?

vanillabones
January 16th, 2014, 09:05 PM
This happened to me last summer. I was sitting on the porch one day and looked at my ends and they were covered in white dots D: shudder:

woodswanderer
January 16th, 2014, 09:09 PM
@Bombadillo...white dots are another type of breakage. Instead of seeing a forked split, you might see a white dot at the end of the hair where it snapped off.

Joyce_Alison
January 16th, 2014, 09:33 PM
@Bombadillo...white dots are another type of breakage. Instead of seeing a forked split, you might see a white dot at the end of the hair where it snapped off.

Do white dots turn into split ends? Do split ends always begin as white dots?

askan
January 16th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Do white dots turn into split ends? Do split ends always begin as white dots?

Not necessarily, but there's a big risk! A white dot at the very end of the strand means there's no clean cut like you get with sharp scissors, but that the end might be frayed and ragged which makes it more likely to split. It may be a longer hair that broke off and left a bad new end. White dots can also appear higher up the strands, and they're signs of damage to the cuticle. The strand will break easily at that point.

http://naturalnigerian.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/scanning-electron-microscope-images-hair.jpg Here are som interesting deltailed photos of hair breakage :)

askan
January 16th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Oh, sorry, this was the link I meant to post:
http://naturalnigerian.com/2012/08/hair-a-microscopic-view/

Joyce_Alison
January 16th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Oh, sorry, this was the link I meant to post:
http://naturalnigerian.com/2012/08/hair-a-microscopic-view/

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing that link! I was amazed at how much a split end or "white dot" looks like splintered wood! Okay, that louse creeped me out.. it looked like a crab hanging on. O_O
I like that it mentioned "overbrushing." A co-worker of mine has the most beautiful hair I have ever seen in person. It is tailbone length, shiny & soft. She says that she only brushes her hair before washing it (though I think she washes it pretty frequently). Rest of the time she mainly wears it up in a bun or in a braid.

anitacs9101
January 16th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I agree with the black towel thing! For a while I thought my hair was totally free of splits, but really there were very little splits, and TONS of white dots!! I try to trim them but they always come back, and never get any worse, so I just leave them be. :shrug:

Misschilly
January 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM
I did a S&D yesterday when it was sunny here, it's been a while so I found pretty much splits..it's very satisfying to snip them away!=)

TiaKitty
January 17th, 2014, 04:45 AM
I see the most when I'm in the car in that nice light... and I never have my scissors! This was a good reminder to put them in my purse today and sit and clip. :D

MeowScat
January 17th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm really tempted to pick-up the scissors again, they're sitting right next to me. Not sure if it would be overkill, or a good thing.

Bombadillo
January 17th, 2014, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the clarification. And those extreme close-ups were quite neat too. It's amazing how much a single strand can look like firewood!

~*~Aspen~*~
January 17th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Same here, a S&D on my ends today because I was catching... wow, my hair feels better,, its weird I felt like I could feel them I would work towards where it must have been pulling and I had very little idea. but they are finally gone
and my scalp thanks me..

:guns:

bunzfan
January 18th, 2014, 07:39 AM
You all inspired me to look through my hair again more little bliters obliterated :disco:

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I know this lesson too well. I wore the same do with out switching it I got a broken spot. Now I'm growing it out. I'm always checking my ends.

mallorykay13
January 18th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I've noticed myself being way too neglectful. I used to do way too much to my hair, so it was good. But recently, I just throw it up and don't detangle it or anything. Not good doctor. Not good.

Brattina88
January 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I really need to S&D now... :p and no scissors. Darn!

Sharysa
January 18th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I don't practice benign neglect officially since I S&D once a month and oil it after a shower, but I do mostly braid my hair and leave it alone because it's so tough. However, I mainly trim my split ends in the bathroom, so I was also reminded to check my hair in DIFFERENT kinds of lighting when I was in a sunny part of the living room and re-braiding my hair. I saw a forked split, got my scissors to trim it on the patio, and then saw about three more split ends and a dozen white dots in the afternoon sunlight. I noticed a pattern that while I get split ends off in the bathroom without a problem, white dots are invisible EVERYWHERE THAT ISN'T SUNNY.

Yaaaaay for the many complications of hair.

ladylowtide
January 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I had not S&Ded or trimmed for almost three years, this past fall I looked through my hair and I had SOOO MANY SPLIT ENDS. I had to S&D for like an hour, I even trimmed some of my longest hair. I usually a benign neglect girl to, but I totally agree that you should be careful not to over do it.

LongCurlyTress
January 19th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Hi LadyLongLocks! Great idea to do an S&D! I am tempted to just go ahead and even off the bottom of my U shaped hemline. Just reached 28 1/2 inches this month so I would loose about 2-3 inches of beloved length if I do this. Your thoughts? I just posted a couple of updated recent pics on unTamedTresses on my profile page. Would love to know your thoughts if I should even off the hemline now, or wait another 6 months or so? Much appreciated!

MeowScat
January 21st, 2014, 03:49 PM
So how are everyone's S&D sessions going? Lots to snip off, or not as bad as you thought it was? Remember, different lighting and background colors are key to finding those suckers.

I've been so lazy with my hair that I think I should clarify and do a SMT. I have a heat cap so I can't use the excuse that I don't have one anymore. I'm just not sure how long to sit there with it on. Last summer when I did one, I sat there for 2 hours with the SMT marinating in my hair. I can't remember if I shampooed and conditioned it out, or if I just rinsed it off with water.

What do you guys do to get your SMT out?