PDA

View Full Version : Baby oil

moniquerenaud
January 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM
So I just found some Unscented baby oil in my bathroom, but the only ingredient is mineral oil! Does this mean I can use it on my hair? If so, how would I use it?

jupiterinleo
January 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Mineral oil is petroleum-based, if I'm not mistaken. It will coat the hairs, sealing moisture in but also out. If your ends are super dry, I would use a tiny bit of baby oil on your length (though some kinds can contain alcohol, I'm not sure how to check for this; it might be listed somewhere? Don't use any with alcohol) while your hair is still damp after a deep conditioning.

moniquerenaud
January 16th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Ok thanks for the advice! Ya mine is only mineral oil, no other ingredients are listed! I'll try it tomorrow after my shower:)

MeowScat
January 16th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Make sure you only use a tiny bit on your damp hair. I use 2 drops and that's plenty! The first time I tried it, I used 20 drops and it took several washes to get it out! It seals in the moisture from the dampness. I tried it on wet hair and it stayed greasy looking. Damp hair is the key. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 16th, 2014, 10:52 PM
I use a couple of drops smoothed on my palms and stroke it through my hair, then when it is dry, gently detangle and brush gently with a boar bristle brush. It polishes up the hair, helps to spread the oil and gives a lovely shine.

going gray
January 17th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Baby oil is fantastic. It's helped to keep my ends from splitting, it is a wonderful inexpensive product that really works.

Libbylou
January 17th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Yep, it is great. Two drops is all I use also.

heidi w.
January 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I would recommend otherwise; but there's lots of people who favor using mineral oil.
heidi w.

meteor
January 17th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Mineral oil is a good "sealing" oil. I also added a few drops in my rinse-out conditioner with success.
Please remember that no oil completely seals moisture, or else your hair would never dry, it's just a mild occlusive agent and non-comedogenic, unlike many natural oils.

Here's a good discussion about it and the "controversy" which surrounds it: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/08/mineral-oil-is-evillllll-or-maybe-not.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/08/best-moisturiser-mineral-oil-cough.html

breezefaerie
January 17th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I use it after every wash. My fine, thin hair does surprisingly well with it!
Just a tiny amount on damp hair, like has already been said, gives me soft, tangle free shiny hair.

ExpectoPatronum
January 17th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I used it before I found a cone-y serum that I absolutely love (seriously...holy grail product status)

I would use it after I got out the shower. Just a few drops, spread it out on my hands, and use it on my ends and length. Be careful not to use too much!

Madora
January 17th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I use Johnson and Johnson baby oil (mineral oil with no additives) to help detangle damp hair. I use 4 tiny drops (which are put in an old pill bottle cap). I then dip a cotton baby swab into the oil, and coat my hands, then run the oil covered hands through my hair over and over until the sheen has vanished from my palms.

Great stuff! Very lightweight, no funny afterscent, easy to wash out next shampoo. Helps tame frizzies too. I'm pretty much oil phobic..but MO is terrific!

jeanniet
January 17th, 2014, 05:19 PM
MO was a hot topic around here maybe a couple of years ago, and there's one or two lengthy threads on it. All in all, I think it's like any other oil and some really like it and some don't, but it's not a miracle oil. Try it, see if you like it, but it's a good idea to go easy on any oil at first.