PDA

View Full Version : LHC members who are NOT growing their hair long

bunnylake
January 16th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Are you out there? I think I recently noticed at least one or two of you say somewhere that you are no longer interested in growing your hair long...
I've morphed into a shorthair. So weird! So many years spent wanting super long hair, and then after my big chop I really only want to grow it to maaaaybe APL.
I'm curious about other non-growers, or those of you who just aren't concerned with length.
If you're not growing your hair long, why?
What keeps you on LHC?
Did you have long hair before? Why did you cut it?

Micayla47
January 16th, 2014, 08:38 PM
i still want long hair, but i had a short--medium bob my whole life before LHC. if i ever decide to go back to short/medium hair i will continue to check into LHC. this is a great group of people with good experience and ideas and support regarding a lot of topics. plus, even if i cut my hair, i still want it to be as healthy as possible.

Sharysa
January 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Well, if it counts, I'm staying at waist-length for a year or two so I can decide whether to grow longer.

bananatree
January 16th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Hi! I'm coming out of lurkdom to introduce myself. I am not growing my hair super long. Currently my hair is shoulder length, which is the longest it's been since I was a kid. I've always been either pixie or bob. My hair is baby-fine and not all that thick, so growing my hair longish has been a challenge for me. I ended up finding LHC after deciding to give up dye and go natural (salt and pepper) because my hair can't take chemical dyes at all without breaking off. I love the term Renegray and feel as if it's become a rallying cry for women who feel a wee bit debased having to spend hours a month with piles of chemicals on your head (while spending thousands of dollars a year doing so). I'm just not interested anymore! Though going grey in your 30's is a surprisingly controversial decision.

LHC is one of the only places on the web to find info on natural hair care-- good for people who are happy with short or medium hair too! Since finding LHC, my hair is noticeably healthier. I never really considered the damage I was doing to my hair with blow driers, dyes, and even elastic hair ties. I've embraced oils and my natural color and waves. Right now I'm planning on growing to APL. Because of the fineness of my hair, I can't even imaging growing it longer, though I might be surprised... you never know.

jeanniet
January 16th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I did grow my hair out past hip (my initial goal was waist), but then I wanted to go Curly Girl and decided that due to thickness and drying issues I wanted less hair while doing it, so I cut back to about APL. Then I liked it so much, I cut back to shoulder, and then my curl pattern tightened up so much I'm currently slightly above shoulder. I'm really happy with it--I might grow out a bit longer so I can pull it back easier for summer, but have no plans to grow longer right now. I have other things I need to concentrate on, and really don't have the time to spend on my hair. I spend a lot less time on my shorter hair than when it was long--literally less than a minute a day when I'm not washing it. Just shake and go.

Macaroni
January 16th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I've reached TBL, the longest I've ever been and I'm happy to stay there.

Tia2010
January 16th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I'm almost to tailbone, and I will stop there. Super long was never my goal.

I just wanted to see myself with TB hair. :)

But even if I cut back, go back to dying (which I'm pretty sure I am because I'm bored to tears with my hair) or go full on pixie.. I will still hang here and read because I like the information and the people.

Silverbrumby
January 16th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Im brushing bsl and that's as long add my hair grows. Lots of fairy tail ends and tiny little braid.

It's long enough for me so I'm staying here for as long as it looks okay. I'd LOVE tbl but it's not too be.

ErinLeigh
January 17th, 2014, 01:07 AM
I waffle back and forth all the time about growing my hair out. I am happy with my current length. I am happy when its a little longer too. I can go either way really. Once I shaved my head at age 26 I learned it is just hair in that sense. It isn't promised, and it can be taken, so I try not to get so wrapped up in that part of it.

That being said, My whole life I have been a hair enthusiast and a product junkie. I love to talk about hair. It is my escape from the real world. I have a high pressure job and deal with a tough personal situation, so it is a mental escape to leave thoughts of all the pressure behind and discuss something I enjoy. Not many people are interested or well learned on the subject so I like reading others stories, ideas, recipes and routines. It's a nice break during a 12 hr shift to pop in and recheck my mind. :)

I am mostly here so I can enjoy the hair I have and get it in it's healthiest state, whether it "long" or not. At 41 I don't really care what length it is as long as it looks the best it can. I may grow it out for the next year, but most likely wont grow beyond whatever length that takes, if I do decide to go for it at all. I change my mind often so no length goals. I may decide tomorrow for a bob for all I know. I like having options. I just want to enjoy the ride really. For me its better than reading gossip sites or getting all wrapped up in the stress of the news. I have enough going on, I just need a place to chill. Besides, I figured I may as well join and participate since every google search on subjects of hair I was looking for led me here anyway.

lapushka
January 17th, 2014, 02:05 AM
I'm still growing. Currently hip going on to TBL. If I were to have it cut short, which I'm not intending, then I would still stay on here. It's just general good hair care tips that *anyone* can benefit from. And what's short? APL is still long in my book, just not *super* long. It's all relative, anyway.

UltraBella
January 17th, 2014, 02:11 AM
I have no desire to have long hair again, my longest length was TB. I didn't enjoy taking care of that much hair and I don't miss it. I've just grown out an inverted bob, which I loved, and I'm at armpit length. I'm perfectly happy at this length & the only reason it will get any longer is because it grows super fast & I'm too lazy to cut often. But I will cut it, and without remorse or regret.
I stay on LHC because I can be an asset to this community, no matter what length my hair is.

Toadstool
January 17th, 2014, 02:25 AM
But most of you are still talking about long hair! I have had a pixie for many years now- I kept cutting after I joined LHC, initially to remove damage. Only now am I considering starting to grow again. I would be interested to hear from people who decided to stay short, and why?

ETA I stay on LHC because I LOVE hair. :-)

lapushka
January 17th, 2014, 02:29 AM
I stay on LHC because I can be an asset to this community, no matter what length my hair is.

I can tell you, you sure are, UB! :D

MandyBeth
January 17th, 2014, 03:04 AM
I stay short because my hair is too fine, add in my medication which damages my hair and dramatically slows growth. So shoulder length is it.

Now, I also ignore a good 75% of things here. Satin pillow case - I move around more apparently, then I get way more tangles and thus mechanical damage.

Why I stay? I have two daughters. One is mid back to waist. The other is insanely curly and appears at waist to hip, but 5 strand braid is past classic and pulled to 1C is knee.

browneyedsusan
January 17th, 2014, 05:50 AM
What a fabulous thread idea!

I was a fervent pixie fan for years, and totally get short hair. Long hair and short hair are both great, for different reasons. They both can look sexy and attractive.

I know this community is "TLHC", but never felt unwelcome with the pixie, and always viewed the forum as more of a "hair enthusiast" place. I hope that my fellow short-hairs feel just as welcome and included as I did.

To answer your questions:
--I've never lusted after super-long hair. It's just something to do. I try to keep it in good shape, but don't obsess.
--I'm growing it out for fun.
--I've never had hair this long before. (I know it was hippie-long before 2nd grade, but that was 40 years ago, and I don't remember!)
--I maintained a pixie for years because I liked it! None of my friends had one. It looked edgy and cute at the same time. Aside from the constant haircuts, it was a breeze to maintain, and I never worried about damage, tangles, or styling. I could color it monthly with no problem.

red-again
January 17th, 2014, 07:59 AM
What a fabulous thread idea!

I was a fervent pixie fan for years, and totally get short hair. Long hair and short hair are both great, for different reasons. They both can look sexy and attractive.

I know this community is "TLHC", but never felt unwelcome with the pixie, and always viewed the forum as more of a "hair enthusiast" place. I hope that my fellow short-hairs feel just as welcome and included as I did.

To answer your questions:
--I've never lusted after super-long hair. It's just something to do. I try to keep it in good shape, but don't obsess.
--I'm growing it out for fun.
--I've never had hair this long before. (I know it was hippie-long before 2nd grade, but that was 40 years ago, and I don't remember!)
--I maintained a pixie for years because I liked it! None of my friends had one. It looked edgy and cute at the same time. Aside from the constant haircuts, it was a breeze to maintain, and I never worried about damage, tangles, or styling. I could color it monthly with no problem.

I think though browneyedsusan, that your hair is starting to look amazing! This most recent pic is fab!

spidermom
January 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I'm maintaining at least until my left wrist problem resolves. I'm really happy with how light-weight my current length is and how much more quickly it dries. Taking care of it is so easy. (U-hem layered from about APL to waist)

pixldust
January 17th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I have been stuck in a cycle of 'grow hair to around shoulder, get bored and cut it, then get bored of short hair and grow it again' since I was a teenager. My current length, a few inches past shoulder, is the longest it's been since I was a kid. So I don't actually know how long my hair could grow. If I could get it to bsl, I would be very happy. Not long at all compared to much of the hair on here but for me personally would be an achievement. And even if I never get past that length I would still check in, because the advice and support on here is second-to-none.

Silverbrumby
January 17th, 2014, 07:36 PM
You certainly are. I love my stream rollers which I've learnt about here from you.

I have no desire to have long hair again, my longest length was TB. I didn't enjoy taking care of that much hair and I don't miss it. I've just grown out an inverted bob, which I loved, and I'm at armpit length. I'm perfectly happy at this length & the only reason it will get any longer is because it grows super fast & I'm too lazy to cut often. But I will cut it, and without remorse or regret.