PDA

View Full Version : Maybe oiling too often or too much?

plainjanegirl
September 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ok so I washed my hair Saturday and when I did I used shampoo and then I mixed some coconut oil in with my conditioner and let it set on for a few minutes while I shaved and then rinsed off and when my hair dried it was more smooth etc. and I was able to wear it down some.
So today being Tuesday was my next wash and I did the exact same thing but now that it is dry...it looks BAD....kinda stringy looking.
Am I oiling too often? I am so disappointed cause I was wanting to wear my hair down tomorrow. Should I wash again in the morning and just use no oil with the conditioner or should I wait and wear braids or buns ?

longhairedfairy
September 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I use (camellia) oil pretty much every single night, mostly on the length, but I also usually wash my hair every night. I think it's more likely that you just used too much at once. Then again, it could just be the change in the weather during this time of year. Try it a few more times and see what happens. Maybe it was just a freak one-time thing:)

plainjanegirl
September 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM
So should I do another s and c in the morning?
with or without the oil in my conditioner?
maybe I should do honey in my conditioner?

longhairedfairy
September 9th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Maybe you could do just a scalp wash and then condition all over without the oil. That would probably remove the excess oil without stripping your hair.
I've never tried honey in conditioner, but it's supposed to work really well. I think Ktani is the honey guru here.

Aditi
September 10th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Maybe you could do just a scalp wash and then condition all over without the oil. That would probably remove the excess oil without stripping your hair.
I've never tried honey in conditioner, but it's supposed to work really well. I think Ktani is the honey guru here.
I agree with longhairedfairy maybe heavy oiling must have made your hair limp and heavy. Wash your hair and avoid mixing oil with conditioner this time.

Missie
September 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I found that its very easy to use too much oil (Camellia) and when that happens my hair looks limp and stringy.. but if I err on the side of less rather than too much I can oil after every wash and it is soft and curly with less tangles.
I don't add my oil to the conditioner, I just do the final rinse, blot hair with towel to stop the drips and then handle the length with slightly oily hands. It really works great if you have just the right amount of oil. Can be tricky I know

Shanarana
September 10th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Maybe try and smooth a small amount on after you wash and condition rather than mix it with your conditioner.

Arctic_Mama
September 10th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I'd wash your scalp again, with dilute shampoo, and then condition with NO oil and see how it looks. You can always add more, it's a bit harder to take away!

k_hepburn
September 10th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Rather than mixing the oil in with the conditioner I suggest you oil your damp hair after detangling. That way it's a lot easier to get a good measure for how much oil your hair likes, and how much is too much. And you will only need very little - if I use jojoba oil, it's only four drops at a time, but you may need even less, depending on how long your hair is (mine is close to waist length, and I oil from shoulder-length downwards).

Personally, I have found coconut oil the hardest to get the amount right (perhaps because it's generally solid to start out with) - you might want to consider switching to another type of oil.

katharine

plainjanegirl
September 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Rather than mixing the oil in with the conditioner I suggest you oil your damp hair after detangling. That way it's a lot easier to get a good measure for how much oil your hair likes, and how much is too much. And you will only need very little - if I use jojoba oil, it's only four drops at a time, but you may need even less, depending on how long your hair is (mine is close to waist length, and I oil from shoulder-length downwards).

Personally, I have found coconut oil the hardest to get the amount right (perhaps because it's generally solid to start out with) - you might want to consider switching to another type of oil.

katharine

What oil do you recommend???
I was mixing the oil with the conditioner cause I remember reading about someone else doing that in their hair care routine and they had good results.

wintersun99
September 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM