PDA

View Full Version : I could cry.

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I asked my husband to give me a micro trim since I'm not comfortable doing it myself. I'm trying to get rid of my taper and give myself a nice blunt hemline while still growing. He took off 2 inches. I'm so sad! It was just a misunderstanding, I think, but it feels like I've been shorn. I was wanting him to do it quarterly, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't get to come near my hair with scissors again. He might not be able to touch it again ever. I was firmly at hip, and now I'm not.

It's hair, it will grow back. It wasn't that much, and in a couple days I won't notice, but I'm sad today.

Fairlight63
January 16th, 2014, 06:47 PM
So sorry to hear about your haircut! I KNOW that I would NEVER ask my DH to trim my hair, I would wind up with it up to my ears!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 16th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I'm feeling for you, that has happened to me as well. After a couple of days of being horrified I told myself that I now have lovely fresh ends to pamper and enjoy growing again. It is such a shock, though! Hugs!

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I thought it would be fine. We had done it before and he took off just a tiny bit then. I don't know what happened this time. But I'll be learning to do it myself for sure. Or maybe a crea clip.

Joyce_Alison
January 16th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Hi Sweetie, that sucks! Sorry to hear that! I've had similar experiences... so I always make sure that I show with my fingers precisely how much I want taken off.. Also if the hair is wet... it is stretched longer... so you can accidentally take off too much that way!
I have found a way to trim my own hair that works perfectly. I part my hair down the center of my head... and pull the two sections of hair forward like I am going to do braids (one on each side). Then I cut straight across, a little bit at a time, just pieces of hair at a time. I may need to clean it up a bit, but this method gives me a perfect blunt cut.

TiaKitty
January 16th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Did he say why he did that, I mean, if he was able to do it correctly before?!

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I'm feeling for you, that has happened to me as well. After a couple of days of being horrified I told myself that I now have lovely fresh ends to pamper and enjoy growing again. It is such a shock, though! Hugs!

That's what i'm telling myself. It will give me a nice new start. He feels really bad about it. And it will come back in a couple months.

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Hi Sweetie, that sucks! Sorry to hear that! I've had similar experiences... so I always make sure that I show with my fingers precisely how much I want taken off.. Also if the hair is wet... it is stretched longer... so you can accidentally take off too much that way!
I have found a way to trim my own hair that works perfectly. I part my hair down the center of my head... and pull the two sections of hair forward like I am going to do braids (one on each side). Then I cut straight across, a little bit at a time, just pieces of hair at a time. I may need to clean it up a bit, but this method gives me a perfect blunt cut.

That's what I'll be doing next time. I like a nice blunt hemline.

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Did he say why he did that, I mean, if he was able to do it correctly before?!

It was just a miscommunication. He just thought I wanted more off than I. No one's fault, and he feels totally terrible about it. He loves my hair almost as much as I do. It wasn't anything malicious.

LauraLongLocks
January 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'm so sorry. My husband would never be asked to cut my hair, because I think he would take it up to my bra strap, unintentionally, of course. When you have long hair, it's easy for someone to think that "your hair is so long, what's a few inches to you?" Enjoy your fresh ends, if you can.

hairpleasegrow
January 16th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Oh no that really sucks, sounds like you have a good attitude about it though. I was just looking in the mirror at my own hair mourning my inches cut off recently (if it makes you feel any better my hair is a lot shorter than yours) so I understand...but yes like others say enjoy your fresh ends :)

LadyLongLocks
January 16th, 2014, 07:56 PM
When I first started my longer hair journey in 2005 I lost 8" when I wanted a 3" trim. It set me back a year. A family member kept cutting it crooked and trying to fix it.The hair was cut wet, which I will never do again. I was so upset. Lesson learned and I self trimmed from then on. Now I have a husband that I trust to trim it too.
So I know how you feel. It will grow back though of course. A nice blunt cut is nice too, so I accepted it and grew on.

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I'll definitely be enjoying them. In a day or two.

Yeah, my kid would have taken it to chin, if he had had the chance.

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I'm glad to have the fresh ends, and the blunt cut. I'm also very glad that it wasn't as much as could have happened, so I'm trying to remember to be happy about that.

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I will be reading tutorials and watching vids to learn how to do it on my own before it needs trimmed again.

LaurelSpring
January 16th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Awww (((hugs)) I only do it myself now so I only have myself to blame when I cut too much and it isn't any easier when that has happened. I have watched lots of self cutting youtubes and for microtrims the very best and easiest fool proof way for me is just to part down the middle and pull each side to the front. I hold my head slightly back as I comb and slide my fingers down taughtly and just cut off the tippy ends. I get a nice gently U with this and I have been completely happy. When I first started doing it this way I used the creaclip in front to make sure both sides were even but after that I just do each side separately with my fingers because I feel like I have to cut too much to make up for the difficulty of keeping the creaclip taught enough to get a good clean cut.

Micayla47
January 16th, 2014, 08:50 PM
the exact same thing happened to my daughter last summer. she asked her DBF for a micro trim and got 2-3 inches cut. she burst out in tears and was beyond upset for about 2-3 days. later on she realized that her hair had a serious growth spurt right after the incident. we're not sure if it's a coincidence, but she's over it now and her hemline is quite a bit thicker.

that's my logical answer. on the other hand, feelings about hair aren't always logical and i can certainly feel your pain :grouphug:

ladyfey
January 17th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I'm so sorry! Hope you feel better about it soon. My mom had long hair in the early '70s and she let my dad trim it once. He managed to trim it at an incline, so it started at waist and when he got to the other side, he ended up WAY higher. It was the only time mom ever had him trim her hair :)

ZenaZoo
January 17th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Aw I feel for you. I've had a few different people "trim" my hair and ended up loosing a lot. Funny that I was thinking this morning I could do with a micro trim . Just hitting bcl I don't want to risk the other half with 5mm >.<

hoopalou
January 17th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Aw hugs to you, I'm sorry that you feel sad…. If I asked my husband to trim my hair he would probably use the sheep sheers :rolleyes:

Lyv
January 17th, 2014, 05:34 AM
I'm so sorry! I'm sure he had the best of intentions but I'd be upset to lose that much too! I've never asked my husband to trim my hair but I did have him help me henna and he is so paranoid about doing it wrong that I can't imagine how he'd convince himself to come near my hair with scissors lol. I hope you feel better about it soon!

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Awww (((hugs)) I only do it myself now so I only have myself to blame when I cut too much and it isn't any easier when that has happened. I have watched lots of self cutting youtubes and for microtrims the very best and easiest fool proof way for me is just to part down the middle and pull each side to the front. I hold my head slightly back as I comb and slide my fingers down taughtly and just cut off the tippy ends. I get a nice gently U with this and I have been completely happy. When I first started doing it this way I used the creaclip in front to make sure both sides were even but after that I just do each side separately with my fingers because I feel like I have to cut too much to make up for the difficulty of keeping the creaclip taught enough to get a good clean cut.

I just worry about doing it myself because I can't cut a straight line for love nor money. But, I figure that following the directions, I can end up doing it right.

lapushka
January 17th, 2014, 05:47 AM
It's hair, it will grow back. It wasn't that much, and in a couple days I won't notice, but I'm sad today.

It'll grow back to hip soon, though. And for now, enjoy the fresh ends. Think of it this way, maybe you got rid of more split ends this way. A bigger trim once in a while isn't that bad!

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 05:48 AM
the exact same thing happened to my daughter last summer. she asked her DBF for a micro trim and got 2-3 inches cut. she burst out in tears and was beyond upset for about 2-3 days. later on she realized that her hair had a serious growth spurt right after the incident. we're not sure if it's a coincidence, but she's over it now and her hemline is quite a bit thicker.

that's my logical answer. on the other hand, feelings about hair aren't always logical and i can certainly feel your pain :grouphug:

That worked out really well! I'm kind of illogical about my hair on a regular basis. I feel like it's my best feature, so I want to make sure it looks nice.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I'm so sorry! Hope you feel better about it soon. My mom had long hair in the early '70s and she let my dad trim it once. He managed to trim it at an incline, so it started at waist and when he got to the other side, he ended up WAY higher. It was the only time mom ever had him trim her hair :)

That would have been my dad back in the day. My mom had long hair when I was born, down at least waist length. I'm sure he would have taken it up higher.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Aw I feel for you. I've had a few different people "trim" my hair and ended up loosing a lot. Funny that I was thinking this morning I could do with a micro trim . Just hitting bcl I don't want to risk the other half with 5mm >.<

My mom would have taken 5-6 inches off, easy. When I got a cut back in the fall of '12 that took off way more than I wanted, she said she would have taken it up at least another couple of inches. She's not allowed to even think of scissors around my hair.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Aw hugs to you, I'm sorry that you feel sad…. If I asked my husband to trim my hair he would probably use the sheep sheers :rolleyes:

At least he didn't do sheep shears! He used our nice, sharp hair scissors.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 05:56 AM
I'm so sorry! I'm sure he had the best of intentions but I'd be upset to lose that much too! I've never asked my husband to trim my hair but I did have him help me henna and he is so paranoid about doing it wrong that I can't imagine how he'd convince himself to come near my hair with scissors lol. I hope you feel better about it soon!

I don't think he'll ever be willing to do it again because of how I usept I was. Although, I'm pretty sure he will still help me henna.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Looking at it this morning, I realized that I might not be as firmly hip as I was, but I'm brushing hip, so it's good. And my ends look really good, so it's all a blessing in disguise.

joflakes
January 17th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Aww, that's so annoying, I hope it grows back really fast!

LauraLongLocks
January 17th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Looking at it this morning, I realized that I might not be as firmly hip as I was, but I'm brushing hip, so it's good. And my ends look really good, so it's all a blessing in disguise.

I'm glad you can see the silver lining to this cloud.

embee
January 17th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I tried to trim my own hair when it was short - because I had no money for a salon. Big mistake! :) It was so funny looking when I finally quit trying to even it out.

At least you didn't pay somone money to ignore your request. And it was unintentional and a miscommunication. And he feels bad.

Glad it seems longer than it did at first.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Aww, that's so annoying, I hope it grows back really fast!

I hope so too. It's been growing faster lately, so that's good.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I'm glad you can see the silver lining to this cloud.

I try hard to do that. I tend to be very grumpy and pessimistic. I don't really like the way I am that way. I get snappish and yell at my family, and make everyone miserable. So, I'm working on seeing the benefits to things that happen, and realize that things aren't always the way that I would see.

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I tried to trim my own hair when it was short - because I had no money for a salon. Big mistake! :) It was so funny looking when I finally quit trying to even it out.

At least you didn't pay somone money to ignore your request. And it was unintentional and a miscommunication. And he feels bad.

Glad it seems longer than it did at first.

Yeah, that's not a good thing at all. I don't like most hair dressers, mostly because of that.

Gothchiq
January 17th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Wow. If it helps any I can relate. When I was with my ex I asked him to take an inch off the ends, evenly. It was about shoulder length then and needed to have the ends cleaned up. Well, he cut off one inch on the left and three inches on the right! It was incredibly crooked. There's no way to have done that accidentally. I was aghast and I asked him if he was intoxicated on anything. He said no (which I think was false.) I ended up having to get it fixed and having a very short bob. I was very angry. After that I determined that anything I couldn't do myself wasn't going to be done. Now with my husband, who has hair a bit longer than TBL, he understands the value of care and precision. We now have a creaclip, and of course a ruler. He can slide that clip down to the ends and measure what's to be cut. I recommend measuring any time you entrust your hair to another person!

tetisheri72
January 17th, 2014, 08:11 AM
That's a good idea. That would definitely be a good idea. My husband wants to grow his hair out long too. He's just in between chin and shoulder. I evened up his hair and trimmed the ends yesterday. His hair is a mess. He doesn't take great care of it. But, he's learning, so it should get better, eventually.

And wow, the difference between one and three should have been bloody obvious, that's a serious ouchie right there.