PDA

View Full Version : The Grapefruit Challenge

DancingQueen
January 16th, 2014, 01:17 PM
So, who is up for a new experiment in a new year? I read up on different ways to speed up growth, and stumbled upon grapefruit. Aside from tons of vitamins and minerals in there, is also contains high amounts of spermidine, which should aide in hair growth by "Promoting hairs haft elongation and prolonged hair growth in the anagen phase" (you can read about it in the link I will post at the bottom; I am no expert on this yet). Spermidine is only found in higher concentrations in sperm, but the grapefruit is somewhat more appealing to me.

So, since I am bored, and would like to do a new experiment with my hair, I thought, why not. There is tons of ways you can use it; you can use the oil, put it in a hair mask, or eat it to gain all the other benefits from it. It supposedly reduces the risk of some types of cancer greatly, aides in weight loss, and maybe even grow your hair!

Personally, I am going to eat 1 grapefruit per day. Since it is very sour, I blend it with the berries of 1/2 a Pomegranate and 1/4 of a pineapple. It gets you around 400 ml smoothie, and it tastes bittersweet, but actually pretty good.

Be careful though; Grapefruit might increase the effect if you are on any kind of medication, so you might want to check with a doctor first if you are taking anything.

So, anyone want to join me in this experiment? Let me know what you think of it, and how you are going to use the grape fruits. :)

The thread that inspired me: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=588807

ositarosita
January 16th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I'm in ......I have fresh juice guy around the block and I can a liter of fresh grapefruit juice a day ... I find grapefruit to be DELICIOUS so I guess I have been kinda doing this anyway lol good to know it might actually be doing something for my hair

lunalocks
January 16th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I peel the whole grapefruit. Then I remove each section from the membrane. The grapefruit is really sweet with out the membrane. This tends to be messy and takes a while. it is a good activity to do with someone else while you have a slurply conversation.

There is a way to extract the wedges (other than halving and using a knife and spoon to get the sections out) and that is to "sublime" it. You peel off the peeling and cut into it from the side on either side of the membrane. The pieces will slip out.

You can always buy sections in jars in the refrigerated area of the grocery store.

Amapola
January 16th, 2014, 01:26 PM
First thing this makes me think about: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfLfJCqrqI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzhfLfJCqrqI

Second thing this makes me think about: If you are on statins, be careful about this. Talk to your doctor first.

Sounds cool though! Wish I could participate, but see #2... :(

DancingQueen
January 16th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Awsome :)

Amapla: I see the point, so you probably shouldn't eat it. But maybe you can use it as a hair mask if you want? Then you are not taking it internally. I think there should be some grapefruit oil as well. :)

katiebeans
January 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I'm in! I am in need of a new, albeit small, challenge. Also I'm always looking for new colorful foods to introduce into my diet. Not sure if I can commit to one per day though. I am due to go food shopping on Sunday or Monday, I think I will pick up enough to eat one every other day for the week. If the price is right I'll think about eating one daily :)

Adding to my grocery list, pronto!

First thing this makes me think about: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfLfJCqrqI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzhfLfJCqrqI
Haha, Weird Al songs have always brought back memories for me. My older brother used to play his ridiculous songs including this one and my sister and I thought they were th most hilarious things. As a matter of fact, I saw the guy perform live once :) Thanks for the nostalgia!

tetisheri72
January 16th, 2014, 03:40 PM
My husband and I love grapefruit. We can't eat it though because it can mess up our medicines. It's sad. We get a ruby red grapefruit to enjoy a couple of times a year.

ExpectoPatronum
January 16th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I'm willing to try. I've never tried grapefruit before, but it's pretty cheap at my grocery store. I'll probably eat it a couple times a week though.

Amapola
January 16th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Awsome :)

Amapla: I see the point, so you probably shouldn't eat it. But maybe you can use it as a hair mask if you want? Then you are not taking it internally. I think there should be some grapefruit oil as well. :)

Oh hey! Now *there's* an idea! I think I will try that.

Also the hair oil I use (Wild Rose and Coconut by EO Products) does have grapefruit peel oil in it. :) And I love the stuff - so maybe I'll consider using it more often!

@katiebeans: Glad I could bring a smile to your day! :)

woodswanderer
January 16th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I love grapefruit, but only white grapefruit. I love white grapefruit juice too. The red is too sweet for me, though oddly enough I generally like super sweet candies.

hairpleasegrow
January 16th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Ok I will try the grapefruit too. You had me at "elongate." Thanks for passing along this tip :)

AmberlynAsh
January 16th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Hmm, really interesting! :( Too bad I don't really like grape fruit they seem to bitter & sour for me, but they are really good for you. I like to make smoothies I will try to incorporate some into that once and a while!

Naiadryade
January 16th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Ooh! I don't know if I'm up for a challenge per se yet, but this will definitely get me to eat more grapefruit. I'm kind of "meh" about their flavor, some times I'm more in the mood than others, so I usually just go for something sweeter like an orange... but I don't dislike them, and they are definitely around the house on a pretty regular basis. Maybe I'll even try putting grapefruit juice in a scalp/hair treatment sometime!

Selkie-
January 17th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Sounds interesting - thanks for sharing.

I don't like eating grapefruit but love the juice :confused:

W2
January 17th, 2014, 03:07 AM
Maybe you should try this shampoo (http://www.okologisk-supermarked.dk/shop/shampoo-grape-orange-12140p.html)

It's with grapefruit and orange

cathair
January 17th, 2014, 11:18 AM
If we're allowed to juice them then I am in :) I make and drink ruby grapefruit and pineapple (and sometimes random other fruit) juice all the time anyway, gives me an excuse to up that to every day. It's like drinking Lilt on steroids :cheese: Lilt from a can tastes like sugar water now.

I've been using the grapefruit peel to make candied grapefruit peel, then making that into fruit bread, which has been working very well. I also invented 'Lilt Pie', which is like lemon meringue pie, but instead of making a lemon base for the pie, you use grapfruits and add the grapefruit and pineapple pulp from the juicer. It still needs a bit of work that recipe :/ but I wanted to try to find a way to use the pulp to get the fibre from it.

YamaMaya
January 17th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Spermidine is only found in higher concentrations in sperm, but the grapefruit is somewhat more appealing to me.
Oh that's exactly the excuse my hubby would use. "Come on honey, don't you want to reach hip this month? :D"

ErinLeigh
January 18th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Oh that's exactly the excuse my hubby would use. "Come on honey, don't you want to reach hip this month? :D"

that's what was going thru my mind too. lol

Joyce_Alison
January 18th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I will try eating more grapefruit (one a day if I am able!).... I am sick of my shoulder-length hair & want to get to waist-length yesterday! :P

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I'm in! I heard that grapefruit has so many health benefits aside from hair as well. Can be a bit bitter by it's self.

LaurelSpring
January 18th, 2014, 11:17 AM
This thread is making me crave grapefruit. I got a grapefruit lip gloss for Christmas and that has been working on me also. I think in aromatherapy just smelling the smell can have an effect on weight loss. I wonder if that is true for hair too. hmmm. I tried the grapefruit diet awhile back. I think it was just having 1/2 cup before every meal but I will have to go look it up again. The only problem I had was that when I get too much acid in my system it gives me those little ulcer places in my mouth and those can hurt so I have to be careful not to overdo it.

YamaMaya
January 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Bought three red grapefruits today, going to see if I can stretch them by eating half at a time, they weren't too expensive (34p at asda) so if I like them I'll probably buy more.

truepeacenik
January 18th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Other sources
Spermidine: Mature cheeses, fermented soybeans, fermented tea, Japanese Sake, domestic mushrooms, potatoes and fresh bread are high sources of spermidine.

Source of info

http://www.drpeterjdadamo.com/wiki/wiki.pl/Polyamines

Peabody
January 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM
You guys might hate me for this...

wiki says:

"There is a popular myth that grapefruits contain high amounts of spermidine, which probably relies on the confusion between spermidine and putrescine. While citrus fruits show high amounts of putrescine, they contain very little spermidine."

(What is putrescine?) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putrescine)

However spermidine (which does affect hair growth and even DNA!) appears to be available in supplements, though you'd have to search around I expect..
Or you could just get friendly with your hubbies?

cathair
January 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM

wiki says:

"There is a popular myth that grapefruits contain high amounts of spermidine, which probably relies on the confusion between spermidine and putrescine. While citrus fruits show high amounts of putrescine, they contain very little spermidine."

However spermidine (which does affect hair growth and even DNA!) appears to be available in supplements, though you'd have to search around I expect..

Damn there goes my excuse for drinking grapefruit juice every day :) Good to know though thanks :)

DancingQueen
January 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM

wiki says:

Aww, man. I still think I am going to continue though. My skin have cleared up incredibly fast, and I have a lot more energy. who knows, maybe it does do something anyways?? (fingers crossed!)

DancingQueen
January 19th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Haha, hence wy I haven't told my boyfriend :)

YamaMaya
January 19th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Oh damn. Ah well the grapefruit is nice for breakfast anyhow, and combined with a boiled egg I'm still contributing to my hair growth. :D