PDA

View Full Version : What oils are good for porous hair??

bunzfan
January 16th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I've been using alot of coconut oil as ive been told its good for past dye damage but someone mentioned if your hair is very porous which mine is it might not be such a good idea.

Its only the last two inches that are like that it seems to drink coconut oil completely in 24 hours no matter how much i put on it and i suffer with lots of splits do you think olive oil would be my friend?? its feeling very dry recently .

Any advice greatly appreciated currently using alot of coney serums and conditioners no point it cutting back yet again i did that in june cut 2 inches and i'm back to square one i want something that will help it not get any worse than it was back then i currently s and d regularly which is helping alot .

Routine : CWC with gentle shampoo and argan oil coney conditioner
do pre was soaks with coconut oil or evoo leave on 24 hours

Thanks in advance :D

Zebra Fish
January 16th, 2014, 07:29 AM
My hair is veeery fine and my end are porous coz I used to dye red, but the other part of the hair isn't. I also use coconut oil, but for last 2-3 weeks I felt my ends were quite crunchy and dry. Clarified, but also used coconut oil and same thing. Next time I washed I used olive oil (a bit as prewash and after) and my ends came oil so soft and shiny :D Before I used to use olive oil only, but then around a year ago my hair became dull. As I read alot of good about coconut, I concluded that maybe olive oil is to heavy for my hair so I decided to give it a try. Was good until now. Guess I'll stick with olive for now and then at some point go coconut again.

My thinking is that as after a longer while hair becomes bored with same shampoo/conditioner (I know hair is dead but mine every few years it asks for something new :p ), maybe the same thing goes for oil.
Have you ever tried cone-free? I thought that would make it much worse, but in the end I tried and it helped me huge time to get rid of splits (well not totally rid of them, but almost nothing compared to while I used cones).
Dunno if any of this actually helps, but here is mine observation :)

bunzfan
January 16th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the insight mine is fine/medium strands but hair up to bsl has had no heat etc so is very healthy but from bsl it is much drier and thinner but years ago some stupid stylist thinned it out which started my problems before that zero splits..i think i'll go back to evoo and maybe micro trim in the summer when i should be easily at my goal of tail bone maybe trim 1/4 every 3 months.

Firefox7275
January 16th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Coconut oil is the one with the most research: it is proven to reduce porosity, increase elasticity and reduce structural protein loss when washing. Olive oil can also penetrate, likely it too reduces porosity but AFAIK the benefits have not been studied. It is the lauric acid and oleic acid that penetrate, so any oil rich in these should do likewise: palm kernel, babassu, sweet almond, avocado etc.

IMO oiling is overemphasised on LHC at the expense of other proven ingredients like hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Do remember that silicones are also oils.

bunzfan
January 16th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Coconut oil is the one with the most research: it is proven to reduce porosity, increase elasticity and reduce structural protein loss when washing. Olive oil can also penetrate, likely it too reduces porosity but AFAIK the benefits have not been studied. It is the lauric acid and oleic acid that penetrate, so any oil rich in these should do likewise: palm kernel, babassu, sweet almond, avocado etc.

IMO oiling is overemphasised on LHC at the expense of other proven ingredients like hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Do remember that silicones are also oils.

Thanks Firefox :flowers: i have been using oils regularly and cones and i dont have as many splits as before but it stil feels a little brittle almost, i've also been using protein conditioners like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005UN6HI6?ie=UTF8&tag=shopwiki-uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738

But, i haven't used gelatine in a while might need to try one again it helped alot. Thanks for your input.

arr
January 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I get the best results using equal parts coconut and olive oil as a prewash treatment. I feel like i get more strength from the coconut and more softness and glossiness from the olive. I also add about 3 drops of the coconut olive mixture to my leave in conditioner and finish off with 3 drops mineral oil. This routine has really helped my ends to feel softer and look healthier.

Valkyriejae
January 17th, 2014, 06:00 AM
I have fairly porous hair and tend to get the same issues with my ends and coconut oil. Lately, I've been using olive and grapeseed oil (not together, just whichever I feel like that day) and it's much better. I'm pretty keen on the grapeseed too, since it's supposed to be high in ceramides :)

bunzfan
January 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM
So, I've heard many curlies recommend oil on just damp hair but it's never made much sense to me as water and oil don't mix well I decided to give it a a go and Omg my dry porous ends feel like velvet think I'll keep this up for a while and see if I see a further reduction in splits.

RegretsHerCut
January 17th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Did you try sweet almond oil ? works wonders on my hair.. Argan too is amazing :)

bunzfan
January 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Did you try sweet almond oil ? works wonders on my hair.. Argan too is amazing :)

No only ever tried coconut or evoo when I have some spare cash I'll get some argan as my hair loved it in a conditioner, don't know where I'd find almond oil never seen it in the supermarket maybe amazon.

Gothchiq
January 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I'm having good results with argan oil, try that! I have damaged porous hair also.

lapushka
January 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM
No only ever tried coconut or evoo when I have some spare cash I'll get some argan as my hair loved it in a conditioner, don't know where I'd find almond oil never seen it in the supermarket maybe amazon.

Over here, you can get generic sweet almond oil at the pharmacy (Belgium). Don't know about other countries, though.

sarahthegemini
January 17th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I'm confused, coconut oil is great for highly porous hair.

walterSCAN
January 17th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks Firefox :flowers: i have been using oils regularly and cones and i dont have as many splits as before but it still feels a little brittle almost, i've also been using protein conditioners like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005UN6HI6?ie=UTF8&tag=shopwiki-uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738

But, i haven't used gelatine in a while might need to try one again it helped alot. Thanks for your input.

(Bolding mine.)

I read that and immediately think protein overload, which may be why damp oiling helped your ends feel nicer (trapping moisture under the oil, which helped balance the protein). Do you have a non-protein moisturizing conditioner you can switch off with? It might be worth considering, at least. I find my hair is a little sensitive to protein-- it likes it sometimes, but I have to switch off the protein-y conditioners periodically to keep my hair from going straw-like and more tangly. Could be that although your length likes the proteins, your ends are more sensitive to them. Just my :twocents:.

meteor
January 17th, 2014, 12:59 PM
It is the lauric acid and oleic acid that penetrate, so any oil rich in these should do likewise: palm kernel, babassu, sweet almond, avocado etc.
^This!^

As far as your search for sweet almond oil is concerned, check out local Middle Eastern (e.g. Lebanese) or Indian shops. You can usually get big bottles of SAO there for cheap. And you'll find great deals on food quality argan oil there too.

CarpeDM
January 17th, 2014, 02:29 PM
It sounds like you need olive oil!

leslissocool
January 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Yes olive oil is amazing!

ErinLeigh
January 20th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I love coconut mixed with olive or avocado for my pre-wash on dry hair.
Post wash I like a variety. A little oil mixed with a leave in conditioner on wet hair is nice, and then a drop once dry for smooth finish.

The oils seem to help my porous hair a lot.

the breakdown for my hair is
Coconut - seems most protective pre wash. Does not dry out my hair and gives makes it feel a lot more durable. I never use post wash as I am too heavy handed with it.
Olive - pre wash makes for excellent shine and softness, post wash good for detangling.
Avocado - great pre wash oil, hair seems more moisturized if I use it as pre poo. It saves my hair from the dryness shampoo does to it.
Grapeseed - this one gives a nice sheen and fights frizz. I use on damp hair
Argan - Once a week I put it all over hair and let it sit 24 hours, I cant tell what it does yet exactly but it seems to improve the general condition of hair. It's too greasy for me to use as a serum, makes my hair stringy but it seems to absorb into porous hair somehow and give a fullness to the strands.

Hemp - one of my favorites. Has ceramides, does not look oily on hair. Makes the perfect finish for me. 2 drops rubbed in palm and ran over the hair removes frizz and gives shine (an an odd scent :) ) It really helps my bleached hair a lot. Makes it feels stronger and less likely to snap. I think it is a great choice for porous hair. I cant say enough good things about this oil on my porous hair!

CurlMonster
January 20th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Some of my hair is bleached and so very porous - I use sweet almond oil on it while it's quite wet (I squeeze out water with a T-shirt and then apply the oil right away). I find applying oil to wet hair works best for me because it feels like it's really sealing in the moisture. Sometimes I apply more to dry hair later in the week, but I think it's the oiling right after a wash that helps most.

hairpleasegrow
January 20th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Good tip ErinLeigh I will check out hemp oil. My hair type is similar to yours. A few days ago you also suggested on another thread to coconut oil if I decided to dye my roots. I will definitely keep this in mind- thanks :)

I have alot of luck with argan oil and coconut oil myself. Argan I find doesn't have a greasy look and really absorbs into my hair.

veryhairyfairy
January 20th, 2014, 10:03 AM
(Bolding mine.)

I read that and immediately think protein overload, which may be why damp oiling helped your ends feel nicer (trapping moisture under the oil, which helped balance the protein). Do you have a non-protein moisturizing conditioner you can switch off with? It might be worth considering, at least. I find my hair is a little sensitive to protein-- it likes it sometimes, but I have to switch off the protein-y conditioners periodically to keep my hair from going straw-like and more tangly. Could be that although your length likes the proteins, your ends are more sensitive to them. Just my :twocents:.

I was thinking the same thing. I have chemical dye damaged (and thus, very porous) hair from about BSL down, and it reacts well to protein once in awhile, but overuse of protein leads to dry, tangly, breaking ends. Even just a tiny amount in my normal conditioner leads to drier ends and more tangles over a few months.

I recently started oiling and I get good results when I use coconut oil as a heavy overnight soak, and a mixture of jojoba and safflower oil on wet hair after a shower. (about three drops squeezed into soaking wet hair, and then towel wrapped for awhile)
I tend to think that heavier, less penetrating oils are best for sealing wet hair, especially if there is damage. I'm glad the olive oil has worked well for you, maybe I'll get some next time I'm at the store. :)

heidi w.
January 20th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I can see from your picture that you're a wavy haired gal, so your hair needs a lot of moisture. I recommend oiling and conditioning the length only. Not the scalp hair as the sebum can do the job there, but not on the length which tends to be dry. I hope this helps a little bit.

Your hair is unlikely to be overly porous.

heidi w.