PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of Long Hair???

mariakatija
January 15th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I just started to think that doesn't hair become more dangerous the longer it gets? It could get caught in escalators, fans, etc. I was thinking about super long hair, which I do want, but I'm worried if I would never be able to wear it down in public because of the possible dangers.

Micayla47
January 15th, 2014, 11:33 PM
a "hair accident" is pretty unlikely, but there are real dangers/concerns with long hair, so it's still a good idea to wear it up/contained most of the time, imo.

Islandgrrl
January 16th, 2014, 12:00 AM
I won't wear mine down in public. I don't care for the attention. So it stays safely up and out of the way.

Flor
January 16th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Well, there's a good reason as to why a lot of non-office jobs require for the hair to be securely put away (even shoulder length hair!). It is a hazard in a lot of activities.

hairpleasegrow
January 16th, 2014, 01:00 AM
yes i worry about getting it caught in the drain in the bathtub . i think it can get caught in hot tub jets too .

Sarahlabyrinth
January 16th, 2014, 01:17 AM
A lady I used to work with got hers caught in a fan and it almost scalped her. But it has since all grown back again.

Hele
January 16th, 2014, 02:14 AM
the main danger i've encountered is spending increasing sums of money on hair toys : / Yeah long hair can get caught in things, but so can not so long hair...i got my hair caught in a fan at shoulder length. Personally these days i'm mainly beware of the vacuum, i've about sucked my hair into the attachment nozzle before. I do wear my hair up more now when i'm out in public because it seems to be a creepy men magnet.

Raventresses
January 16th, 2014, 06:16 AM
I guess it would depend on how long you want to go. Mine is waist length and it gets stuck constantly in the most annoying places, like the car door. I work at construction sites so I HAVE TO keep it braided or up for safety reasons. Assuming you have a job where hair is not an issue, you would just need to be more mindful of where it is and when. Or braid it.

bluequeequeg
January 16th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Back when my hair was waist length, it got stuck in one of my hedges. I was not especially close, but it was very very windy, and presto, stuck in a bush.

vanillabones
January 16th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Before I hit apl I burnt my bangs while lighting a cigarette. My 'bangs' I mean above the forehead hairs went *PUFF* and a quick sizzle right in front of my face and I saw all the sparks. It scared me half to death but it didn't seem to give me any noticeable damage. I was afraid to look in the mirror to see my hair burnt off D: all was well... I'm just pleased out of the 3 years I've been growing that this has been my only burning incident :D

Kherome
January 16th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Ask Beyonce. She just found out what happens with longish hair and fans. Ha! Only for her, it's not so bad as it was mostly a weave, but still, it had to hurt.

mariakatija
January 16th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. My hair's at MBL and I really haven't had any dangerous problems with it. But some of you have had hair shorter or almost the same length and have had issues! So, hair accidents could happen, but I just need to be careful. Phew! I am confidently continuing to growing my hair now!

leslissocool
January 16th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Hair accidents happen at any length, that's why I wear my up :lol:.

lunalocks
January 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
before I cam to LHC I wore a braid to keep it contained. Now I wear it up. It's safer. it is also more protective (less splits, more growth).

chen bao jun
January 16th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Yes, keep growing and wearing it up.
I burnt my hair off in front at shoulder length once and a girl I know of got killed in a hot tub because her hair sucked her in and it wasn't even waist length (but she was like tiny, 90 lbs).
There are times when hair is dangerous at any length, but take reasonable precautions (no hair loose when cooking or in labs) and don't go crazy worrying. Like my dad always said, even if you just stay home in bed all the time to avoid accidents, the roof could fall in on you!

mariakatija
January 16th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I burnt my hair off in front at shoulder length once and a girl I know of got killed in a hot tub because her hair sucked her in and it wasn't even waist length (but she was like tiny, 90 lbs).
There are times when hair is dangerous at any length, but take reasonable precautions (no hair loose when cooking or in labs) and don't go crazy worrying. Like my dad always said, even if you just stay home in bed all the time to avoid accidents, the roof could fall in on you!

Your dad is a wise man!

Lirona
January 16th, 2014, 12:19 PM
the main danger i've encountered is spending increasing sums of money on hair toys : /

SO TRUE FOR ME. My wallet is in constant danger.

Like my dad always said, even if you just stay home in bed all the time to avoid accidents, the roof could fall in on you!

Love that!

I haven't experienced any life threatening hair incidents, fortunately. Two close calls with fans, but that's it. I have become more aware of that sort of thing as my hair has grown, and usually leave the house in a bun.

ExpectoPatronum
January 16th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I keep my hair up or braided whenever I'm in chemistry lab. I don't need my hair falling into a beaker of chemicals or catching on fire from the Bunsen burner :)

laceyfairy
January 16th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Creepy catcalls, hair toy spending, getting hair caught in things, and mild disagreement with hair dressers are the main things I can think of. My hair's only at mbl/waist and I typically wear it up. Sometimes I have problems of sitting or carrying my bag so the braid gets caught and I start to get annoyed about somebody pulling my hair.

BlueMajorelle
January 16th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I keep my hair up or braided whenever I'm in chemistry lab. I don't need my hair falling into a beaker of chemicals or catching on fire from the Bunsen burner :)

I wore my hair braided and STILL nearly set my head on fire when my braid brushed across a mantle in o-chem lab.

I have a friend who wears a short bob because she got scalped when her long hair got caught in a ski lift in 6th grade and almost died.

Accidents happen. That's why its important to pay attention to surroundings! :P

turtlelover
January 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I had a friend w/ long (but not SUPER long) get her hair pulled into a paper shredder. That is definitely something to watch out for!

Panth
January 16th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Really, long hair is no more dangerous than wearing a scarf or a tie. You just have to be sensible and think occasionally.

TiaKitty
January 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Watch out when you're using a hand mixer, too. Even a braid tassel can get wound up in one of those.

And those kids toys that drive automatically... Ugh. Zhu-Zhu pet ran right up my daughter's long hair and got stuck. I got most of it out, but she lost a little.

Sucked into the back side of the hair-drier.

I caught mine between the pot and the burner on the stove!

Automatic seat belts suck! As does the sun-roof, from time to time...

Just be careful!

trolleypup
January 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I know my hair got caught in things more when it was shorter...but I also had it down a lot more. At my current length, it is usually up when I am out doing active things, although if the bun falls out at an inopportune moment, I may end up with it down for a while, if there aren't immediate hazards. I certainly don't allow the fact that it is long keep me from doing the things I want to do.

woodswanderer
January 16th, 2014, 07:21 PM
The worst danger my hair is in is getting caught on door handles or slammed in a car door. I wear my hear down and loose probably 3/4 of the time while indoors these days..though I rarely wear it down outside to avoid wind tangling. I really don't consider it to be such a hazard unless I am around fire. The only time I am around fire would be a campfire, so the hair is already up to avoid wind tangles. Before joining LHC, I wore my hair loose 95% of the time, having always had long hair, and I have never felt like my hair has endangered me.

LadyLongLocks
January 16th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I won't wear mine down in public. I don't care for the attention. So it stays safely up and out of the way.

Same here...worn up all the time. I have been stepping on it so time for a trim! I can't wear it down easily these days.

Bombadillo
January 16th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I had a friend w/ long (but not SUPER long) get her hair pulled into a paper shredder. That is definitely something to watch out for!

At the very least in that instance, one would come away with a bad trim job!

Venefica
January 17th, 2014, 05:45 AM
I do not wear my hair down in public for those exact reasons, it could get caught on cars speeding past, in doors, fans and so on. If you want to wear your hair loose in public I recommend aiming for about hip length or a little past, for around those lengths is when I had to stop wearing my hair loose when out. One more thing to consider is that long, healthy hair, especially if it is not dyed, is very valuable and it might be a target for theft unless you hide it by wearing it in a bun. Now also another danger of long hair is that I hit my hubby with my braid when sleeping and it have gotten quite heavy over the years. :P

Also do keep long hair away from fire. I am a Pagan and I generally never do rituals that involve candles with my hair loose.

Saldana
January 18th, 2014, 08:48 AM
My hair is not long enough right now to worry about, but when I had TBL hair, it was almost always up whenever I was out of the house. Partly to protect it from elements (wind, sun, etc), but also to keep it from tangling into everything - desk chair mechanisms, door knobs, car doors, clothing....additionally, it tended to draw attention if it was loose, and I don't care for that.

hairpleasegrow
January 30th, 2014, 06:50 PM
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/woman-found-dead-at-montreal-metro-station-scarf-tangled-in-escalator-1.1662966

very sad today a woman in Montreal got her head scarf and hair got caught in the escalator, and she passed away. Be careful everyone

dancingpoet
January 30th, 2014, 07:25 PM
My hair was once at classic and I got it caught in a fan. Somehow, I pulled it right back out (miraculously) but I have heard a story about someone getting their super long hair caught on a roller coaster and they died. I think it's best to just use common sense. Windy day? Wear it up, or at least put it in a braid. Doing anything involving things with moving parts? Wear it up. Dancing? By all means, wear it up! Walking around, calm weather, not doing anything strenuous? Wear it down for a change, if you'd like. It's nice to have a change of pace.
My hair is at about TBL right now and I had it in a braid for dance class today and I whipped myself in the face. I went right to my bag to get my sticks.

whylime13
January 30th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Ugh, I should not have read this thread, I've been in such an anxious/paranoid mood lately. I wear my hair bunned all the time already, mostly to avoid the embarrassment of someone finding a shedded hair that is undeniably mine, now I know there are far worse consequences :shocked:.

TiaKitty
January 30th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I read an article today about a woman whose scarf got caught in an escalator, then when she bent over to get it out, her hair got caught, too, and she died!

mariakatija
January 30th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I read an article today about a woman whose scarf got caught in an escalator, then when she bent over to get it out, her hair got caught, too, and she died!

Circle scarfs are your friends!

Browneyedbelle9
January 31st, 2014, 12:39 AM
Dancingpoet mentioned the one I was going to say- I heard about a woman in India who got her hair caught in a ride and it ripped her face off- rippley's believe it or not- not sure if I do, but, it would be horrible for it to get caught.

My boyfriend sometimes lies on my hair when he sleeps over and that's funny or it's gets caught in a wooden chair- stupid wood chips grab it.

But if you are doing any kind of housework or using machinery or even cooking I'd say keep it up, or even in front of a heater or leaning down, it can get caught.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 04:33 AM
Yikes. this is a good thread, but scary. Just reminds me you have to be very aware of your surroundings and that is something to always have be put in the forefront of ones mind.

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 04:37 AM
I don't wanna think about this, haha. Kind of scary.

MissBubble
January 31st, 2014, 05:34 AM
I used to work in a well known theme park. I was getting nervous every time I'd see someone with long hair, having it loose in the roller coster with all that wind. Of course there was safety distance from everything as people were also extending their arms etc out of the trains, but I used to advice them to put their long hair up if it was post waist.

hannabiss
January 31st, 2014, 06:53 AM
My hair is short now...but maybe I'll keep a pair of scissor in my purse when it gets really long. If my hair gets sucked into anything I wouldn't hesitate to chop instantly.

jacqueline101
January 31st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Before I hit apl I burnt my bangs while lighting a cigarette. My 'bangs' I mean above the forehead hairs went *PUFF* and a quick sizzle right in front of my face and I saw all the sparks. It scared me half to death but it didn't seem to give me any noticeable damage. I was afraid to look in the mirror to see my hair burnt off D: all was well... I'm just pleased out of the 3 years I've been growing that this has been my only burning incident :D

I've done that one too. The best one was burning my eyebrow off. Then to add insult to injury I had to go to the school board with my mom and court with one brow.

Anje
January 31st, 2014, 10:48 AM
This is me, though it's a microbiology lab. Brushing hair back with a contaminated hand is another potential threat around here, so hair has to be secure, and we have to develop "no touching your face!" discipline.

Verdandi
January 31st, 2014, 11:09 AM
Suddenly, my fear of escalators doesn't feel so irrational anymore... Yikes! Such horrible way to end ones life.

My hair has never done anything worse than catching fire (which, on the other hand was quite frigthening even if I managed to put it out quickly) Lesson learned. Hair goes up anywhere near candles :rolleyes:

SkyChild
January 31st, 2014, 11:22 AM
Back when my hair was waist length, it got stuck in one of my hedges. I was not especially close, but it was very very windy, and presto, stuck in a bush.

Lol. Sorry, I'm sure it was awkward and uncomfy and possibly even painful but your wording was hilarious.

My mother set her hair on fire with our grill by accident as she'd just spritzed hairspray and her hair was shoulder length. I guess wearing it braided or bunned it the best idea when out and about

Errant
January 31st, 2014, 11:50 AM
Great thread! Nothing life-theatening here, but I've had mine caught in a swing, a paper folder, laminator, mechanics' crawler thing, zippers, car doors/windows/sunroofs/seat-belt, and I've even managed to pee on it :o

sumidha
January 31st, 2014, 11:52 AM
Unfortunately relevant article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25966601

:(

mariakatija
January 31st, 2014, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately relevant article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25966601

:(

I am super careful on escalators now.

T-Red
January 31st, 2014, 06:22 PM
At my first machine shop job, the previous lathe operator leaned over a rotating shaft and managed to loose some of his front hair when it wrapped around the part he was making. I have had a gas fireplace flare up when starting and burned my eyebrow and part of my beard off. Stinks too ugh!

hairpleasegrow
January 31st, 2014, 06:39 PM
I told my boyfriend about the escalator and this thread, and he told me a scary story invloving a woman that got in a life threatening situation from when he was a kid.

Him and his dad were skiing and they were on a rope tow . her hair got wrapped around the handhold and she was being dragged by her hair. Her hair was WL.

My boyfriends father took off his ski's and quickly ran and propped her up so her hair wasn't pulling and yelled at the operators to stop the rope tow. If his dad hadn't held up the lady she would have either had her hair ripped out or else something more tragic may have happened.

THey were able to stop the rope tow and my bf's dad held up the lady until someone came over with shears .....they had to literally cut her loose. They cut off quite a bit of length from what I understand.

So moral of the story be careful on chairlifts too.

truepeacenik
January 31st, 2014, 06:57 PM
My silly brainlessness is around fire.

I have lost bangs many a time, and I count one sizzle by escapees during Hanukah.

The worst was fire hooping.... The scarf dried a bit too much. Luckily my hair was still soaked andoil free, fire dancers, oil free. I only had minimal damage.

Use common sense. Don't work on a car with loose hair. Tuck braids down the back of your shirt of need be.

styric
February 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM
My kid pulled my stick out while I was dremelling my dog's nails. I scalped several inches of my hair, ended up cutting it out of the dremel. I've still got a shoulder length chunk from that episode.

Now I keep it braided and under my shirt when I'm anywhere near mechanical equipment

sumidha
February 5th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Oh jeez the dremel... Recently I was dremeling and ended up getting so lost in what I was doing I using my hand with the running dremel in it to brush my bangs back from my eyes. Nothing happened but my mind was blown by my own carelessness, and I resolved to be way more aware around the power tools from now on. >.<

I also remember all kinds of horrible stories from history class about the industrial revolution, and women going to work in textile factories and getting their long hair caught in the machinery if they weren't careful about putting it up. Ugh. I often wear a scarf completely covering my hair when doing dirty or dangerous things, but this thread has made me resolve to be religious about it!

milque
February 5th, 2014, 05:27 PM
My hair never got long enough to get caught in anything crazy besides zippers and bag straps, though I've burned a few hairs from cooking and the sort. My friend got her hair slammed in the car door once. A painful experience to say the least.

The escalator story is scary!

Madora
February 5th, 2014, 07:51 PM
When I was coming home from high school years ago, some young brat put chewing gum in my hair. Fortunately, my grandmother knew how to get it out w/o having to cut it. Some kids are clueless about respecting others. Ditto for adults who pull and grab your hair. That's never happened to me because my hair is always up.

MeAndTheMaz
February 5th, 2014, 09:09 PM
I once got my hair stuck in a drill. Wound up cutting a bit to get free, and, of course, as soon as I did that, the part I cut off came right out. Figures.

Apparently, I didn't manage to learn my lesson on that one, because last year(?) I rented a drain cleaner to try to clear the drain in my house, and managed to get caught up in that also. And those things don't stop spinning as soon as you let go of the trigger. They take a second or two to spin down. Fortunately, I managed to extricate myself from that one without cutting. It was just a little. . .gross.

I'd like to say that I've learned my lesson, but I think I know better. I just need to be extra vigilant.

Jumper
February 5th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I got my hair caught int the dremel a few times when I worked at petsmart but usually just the wispy hairs around my face so it didn't hurt too bad.

Once a dog jerked its paw away and my hand slipped and I found myself with a dremel mark in my glasses. Was mostly just glad it wasn't my eye though.

Mainly I have a problem with shutting it in the car door when it's windy.

Kate199023
February 5th, 2014, 10:22 PM
When I was younger and still had my waist or longer hair I would have people step on it when I was sleeping on the couch. Most of the time tough I had it pulled back and out of the way. I have to agree with a post someone made on here about my long hair being a creepy man magnet lol

Hatsune Miku
February 6th, 2014, 12:45 AM
I've never had anything super turmatic happen to my hair, but there have been instances where I had multiple hairs pull out at once. Two occasions come to mind. Once when I was lying on the floor and my mom stepped on my hair at the exact moment I was getting up. Needless to say, that HURT! Another time, I was in PE class and we were playing something that involved tagging other people. One kid tried tagging me, but instead caught his hand in my hair, causing some damage. I lost about 12+ hairs from that. At least he apologized :)

dagny
December 30th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Reviving this old thread...

The other day I bent over to get something out of the oven and my loose hair fell into the 450 degree oven. Thankfully I was able to pull it out before any damage was done, but it started me thinking about all of the potential dangers of long hair.

I remember back on the old forum about one of the members who was bending over using a weed-wacker on her lawn. Her hair got caught in the weed wacker and it traveled up the length of her hair and hit her on the head (I can't remember if it knocked her out or not). Thankfully she was able to remove her very, very long hair without much (if any) loss, and thankfully she was not scalped or worse. But I always remembered that story.

Reading this thread (and looking at an article about a poor woman who scalped herself on a power drill -- from her eyes and her ENTIRE scalp!) and thinking about all of the potential dangers that I have fortunately avoided: operating stand mixers with my hair loose, power drills, Dremel tools, candles, Birthday Cake candles, bon fires... (all when my long hair was loose!) is renewing a sense of caution about keeping my hair tied up as much as possible.

Grow long, but be safe!

lapushka
December 30th, 2018, 05:30 PM
TMI (sensitive info ahead). I'm graying it out just in case.

I once read (in the paper) the story of a little girl who got caught on the driveway with her hair in the car door; her mom started the car and dragged her along, in short, she was scalped (with permanent damage).

Danglish
December 31st, 2018, 12:38 AM
This thread has me seriously reconsidering if almost-waist length is such a good idea, given the fact that I plan to wear it down when I get there

Sora Rose
December 31st, 2018, 01:17 AM
This thread has me seriously reconsidering if almost-waist length is such a good idea, given the fact that I plan to wear it down when I get there

If it's any comfort, I had hip length hair that I wore down 24/7 and never, in all the ten-odd years I had it, got it caught in anything.

Simsy
December 31st, 2018, 01:39 AM
Long hair as a truck driver carries almost as many risks as wearing my wedding ring. Which is why the hair stays up and the ring stays at home.

Braids get caught in machinery; rings catch on equipment and I have snapped multiple necklace chains. So far, the only injury I have had is minor bruising on my finger from the ring being caught on a chain. Lesson learnt once was a lesson learnt well enough.

Danglish
December 31st, 2018, 02:53 AM
If it's any comfort, I had hip length hair that I wore down 24/7 and never, in all the ten-odd years I had it, got it caught in anything.

It is, somewhat :)

Dante
December 31st, 2018, 03:07 AM
So many very nasty injuries due to hair on here, I thought I'd share a recent and much less serious one for you all. So to give a bit of background, I'm kind of phobic about bugs. Last night I went to bed late and was pretty tired, so I didn't braid my hair, just went to bed with it out. Just as a was drifting off to sleep, I *thought* I felt a bug on my arm (of course I realised afterwards that it was my hair, but at the time...) Anyway, to make a long story short, I freaked out, threw back the covers and jumped out of bed really quickly, and somehow in the process, both hit myself in the face and somehow bent back my thumbnail a good centimetre past the point of attachment. This morning I see I have a bit of a black eye (not a lot, thankfully) and a big bruise beneath the nail.

Hair - so many ways it can be dangerous!

amiraaah
December 31st, 2018, 03:21 AM
Few years ago my mom’s hair was caught in fire,her hair was tailbone length and she was preparing food on the stove with her hair down. She quickly grabbed the kitchen’s scissors and cut her hair instantly to a little bit above waist and the cut was uneven for sure

geenie
December 31st, 2018, 05:18 AM
When I was a teenager I had bangs, went to light a cigarette and lit my bangs at the same time :/ singed half way up my forehead... was not a good look.

Vacurlylady
December 31st, 2018, 06:32 AM
After reading some of these stories, it makes me positive I will be wearing mine up in protective styles while working around machinery in the factory I work at.

lapushka
December 31st, 2018, 07:06 AM
Isn't it even a requirement around machinery, Vacurlylady?

Now I'm sad I shared that story. :(

I don't wear my hair out because it is a hazard, you never know what it can get caught in, especially when you go out and are among people (other people's wristwatches, etc.).

ETA/
Danglish, why not learn a few cute up-styles while you're here? :) I'm not saying you *have to* wear it up but it could be a nice change or help you out when you actually need to be fast about it and get it out of the way for... God knows what reason.

Vacurlylady
December 31st, 2018, 07:12 AM
Isn't it even a requirement around machinery, Vacurlylady?

No.... required safety glasses, hearing protection and non slip shoes. The machines are closed and can’t be opened while they are running. The machines are as big as a room. I run 8. We make brake blocks for automobiles. Most hazordous to me would be horrible oil (ps, not our good hair oil ;)) and coolant and I guess I could get it tangled around a tool when changing them out. I’m just going to be extra cautious.

trolleypup
December 31st, 2018, 07:23 AM
Knee length, and no issues with working with heavy equipment for years with it often down. In general, use sensible precautions around hazardous stuff and you'll be fine.

Now, the minor stuff, oh yeah. Bending down and stepping on my hair, getting it caught on doorknobs, or memorably, slammed in a restaurant door...at least with hair this long, it is less tearing of hair and more a sudden stop a few feet away.

ArabellaRose
December 31st, 2018, 07:46 AM
I've always been a "wear my hair down" sort of girl but as it's getting longer I'm trying to protect it more and, tbh, I'm finding having it down more of a nuisance now!

This thread just reminded me of a time when I was about 15 and I can't believe I had forgotten! An awful girl on the school bus threw gum at me and it got stuck in my hair. When I got home my mum had to cut it out because it got so stuck, I'm not 100% sure on how long my hair was but it must have been between BSL and waist, went to school the next day with shoulder length :(

Ligeia Noire
December 31st, 2018, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't say dangers of long hair but dangers of loose hair. I worked at factories, hotels and whatnot and never wore my hair down. You just never know. Never had an issue.

dagny
December 31st, 2018, 09:13 AM
After reading this thread, I was afraid of all of the dangers my hair could get into and I was even afraid of continuing to grow out my hair. But after thinking about things for a while, I realized that many of these situations could easily happen to even shoulder length hair (and I know of one little girl who was scalped with a drill and her hair was about shoulder length --- she was otherwise ok and her hair started to grow back later across her scalp).

Obviously, the longer one's hair is, the more contact it can make with the outside world and the person would not even be aware because the contact could happen at arm's length or further, depending on the length of the hair -- which is outside one's "personal space" of awareness.

My mother used to work at a maximum security prison with dangerous sex offenders. During that time she was growing her hair out to her knees, but she said that as soon as her hair got to about shoulder length, the prison made her start to wear it up for safety reasons -- so the prisoners couldn't grab her hair as easily and pull her down to harm her. Of course, this does not negate the possibility of one of the prisoners grabbing her bun (much easier to do than with short hair); but, they would have to be really close to her to do so, as opposed to having hair 3 or 4 feet long, and then they might be able to grab her by standing 5 feet from her (not that I am assuming there would be a breeze that would blow her hair up in a prison).

So, just be prudent: if I am working in the kitchen, I will toss my hair back in a scrunchie from now on. If I ever go skiing, to the amusement park, or even a horse-pulled buggy, I will wear my hair tied back. Elevator, escalator, or convertible -- hold it tight. Power tools near me? Put it up. Fire/candles/fireworks? Put it up as close to my head as possible and even wear a hat! Yea, it is a bit of a pain, but I think I will not mind when I consider the possibilities.

Joules
December 31st, 2018, 09:34 AM
I worked at a food manufacturing factory in a office building, but I visited the production site very often, and everyone who entered production site had to put all of their hair (including bangs and baby hairs) under a cap. Not because of safety, they just didn't want your hair in the product :bluebiggr

In general I agree with dagny, really scary things can happen even to shoulder length hair, and accidents related to extreme lengths can be easily avoided if you wear it up. I always think in advance about what I'm gonna do and what I have to do to my hair to protect it.

Missymo
January 1st, 2019, 04:06 AM
The dangers I've encountered with waist length hair is nearly getting it caught in my fan while it was down drying, nearly putting it in dishes cooking on the stove, or getting it yanked my little brother when I had it in a braid. (A very common hair danger if you have slightly mischievous younger siblings)

orangeconey
January 3rd, 2019, 02:10 AM
Having it pulled by confused (or not-so-confused) patients :rolleyes:

Milady_DeWinter
January 3rd, 2019, 03:37 AM
Zippers. Zippers are the enemy. Avoid zipper with loose hair at all costs.

Now I'm wearing my hair up like 6/7 a week, and I'm so happy with it! Just needed some time to adapt :) Still prefer my hair loose, but having it up is soooo comfy.

dagny
January 4th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Zippers. Zippers are the enemy. Avoid zipper with loose hair at all costs.

Now I'm wearing my hair up like 6/7 a week, and I'm so happy with it! Just needed some time to adapt :) Still prefer my hair loose, but having it up is soooo comfy.

and you always have such lovely styles when you wear it up!!

Viola_sororia
January 14th, 2019, 11:04 AM
I used to have a job working with a machine with many open, moving parts, and you bet I kept my hair securely in a bun the entire time. Other than that, I keep my hair in a braid while I sleep so that it doesn't wrap around me while I sleep and to reduce detangle time in the mornings. I remember that in school, my hair would get caught on my backpack/chair and yank when I stood up and that was no fun.

JennGalt
January 14th, 2019, 08:12 PM
I recall going through a family photo album with my mom when I was a kid and being amazed by her sister’s lovely brown classic length waves. Then in other photos taken around the same time (early to mid 70s), it was obvious she’d chopped it off to neck length. I had (and still haven’t) seen her hair past her shoulders, and couldn’t believe she’d chop off all that beautiful hair. So I asked my mom why, and was told the following story:

My aunt loved skiing, as did most of my family then. My aunt typically left her hair down (I’m guessing for warmth and because it was beautiful), and did so on one ill-fated ski trip. She was standing near the ski lift waiting her turn and talking to someone, and somehow a passing lift chair got tangled up in her hair. It lifted her off her feet and carried her for a short distance before the lift was stopped and someone came running with scissors to cut her down. The next day she went to the salon and had it cut back to neck length, and has had no desire to grow it out since.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 15th, 2019, 07:15 AM
I shut mine in the door yesterday. I went to walk away and - ouch! No harm done, but just shows how easily things can happen. (It was loose, drying after a wash).

Lady Stardust
January 15th, 2019, 08:48 AM
I recall going through a family photo album with my mom when I was a kid and being amazed by her sister’s lovely brown classic length waves. Then in other photos taken around the same time (early to mid 70s), it was obvious she’d chopped it off to neck length. I had (and still haven’t) seen her hair past her shoulders, and couldn’t believe she’d chop off all that beautiful hair. So I asked my mom why, and was told the following story:

My aunt loved skiing, as did most of my family then. My aunt typically left her hair down (I’m guessing for warmth and because it was beautiful), and did so on one ill-fated ski trip. She was standing near the ski lift waiting her turn and talking to someone, and somehow a passing lift chair got tangled up in her hair. It lifted her off her feet and carried her for a short distance before the lift was stopped and someone came running with scissors to cut her down. The next day she went to the salon and had it cut back to neck length, and has had no desire to grow it out since.

That is the stuff of nightmares for me! It must have been so painful and frightening.

Dark40
January 16th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I know that when I wear my waist length hair down in public it would caught onto my purse, and other things. But I'm used to it. I don't have a problem with wearing my hair down at all times or when I'm in public. I love the attention!

*Wednesday*
January 16th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I know that when I wear my waist length hair down in public it would caught onto my purse, and other things....

You should wear it up. Good enough reason.

Dark40
January 16th, 2019, 08:30 PM
You should wear it up. Good enough reason.

Yes, I know but I always wear my hair up at home. I've learned that if you wear your hair up in the same hair style all of the time I've heard that it could cause breakage. Especially, if you wear your bun or ponytail in the same place all of the time. I love wearing my hair down sometimes. I don't have any issues with breakage with it getting caught onto my purse. I understand why you guys here at LHC always wear your hair up.

milosmomma
January 16th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Yes, I know but I always wear my hair up at home. I've learned that if you wear your hair up in the same hair style all of the time I've heard that it could cause breakage. Especially, if you wear your bun or ponytail in the same place all of the time. I love wearing my hair down sometimes. I don't have any issues with breakage with it getting caught onto my purse. I understand why you guys here at LHC always wear your hair up.

Your ends are fine right now but they might not be as the years go by. Protecting your ends now will mean more length retention, especially if you're going for terminal. Those ends at your waist right now, will someday be the ends at your hips, thighs, knees etc.

Tinyponies
January 17th, 2019, 03:35 AM

What a shame! Must have been so scary. If only she had tucked it away that day.

Dark40
January 17th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Your ends are fine right now but they might not be as the years go by. Protecting your ends now will mean more length retention, especially if you're going for terminal. Those ends at your waist right now, will someday be the ends at your hips, thighs, knees etc.

That's not true. I've been wearing my hair down at times for many years, and haven't had any problems with my ends, and I do wear my hair up at times to protect it for length retention. You can use products for your hair that protects it against damage from the elements, and that there isn't anything we can do about that. You have to go outside sometime, and for what I do to moisturize my hair and that is co-washing and using oils I don't ever have any problems with my hair at the length that it's at right now, and I know for sure as years to come I won't have problems. Because, I take good care of my hair by keeping is moisturized trimming whenever needed, and deep conditioning.

ladyfey
January 18th, 2019, 08:45 AM
When mine was super long, I had it in a bun and went on a carnival ride where the car you are riding in spins very fast. The weight of my hair made that scarily painful! I felt like my neck was in danger of being damaged.

milosmomma
January 18th, 2019, 09:04 AM
That's not true. I've been wearing my hair down at times for many years, and haven't had any problems with my ends, and I do wear my hair up at times to protect it for length retention. You can use products for your hair that protects it against damage from the elements, and that there isn't anything we can do about that. You have to go outside sometime, and for what I do to moisturize my hair and that is co-washing and using oils I don't ever have any problems with my hair at the length that it's at right now, and I know for sure as years to come I won't have problems. Because, I take good care of my hair by keeping is moisturized trimming whenever needed, and deep conditioning.

For me it is true. Products dont really protect my hair to the extent of wearing a protective style and can mask split ends that I do have. If it works for you then that is wonderful and I truly am happy for you. We're all here to grow and care for our hair afterall :)

milosmomma
January 18th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Ladyfey that sounds so scary! That sounds like the "tilt-a-whirl" we have at a local theme park. I'm glad you were not injured(you were ok afterwards right?)

Dark40
January 18th, 2019, 10:04 AM
For me it is true. Products dont really protect my hair to the extent of wearing a protective style and can mask split ends that I do have. If it works for you then that is wonderful and I truly am happy for you. We're all here to grow and care for our hair afterall :)

Yes, for that is true. For some people products don't really protect the hair to the extent of wearing a protective style and can mask split ends that some others do get. I remember many years ago I used to suffer badly with split ends but not anymore. Because, I've finally found products that works for me that will protect my hair from split ends or damage. Thank you for being happy for me. Yes, we're all here to grow and care for our hair afterall is true :)

BerrySara
January 18th, 2019, 12:10 PM

I read this thread a couple of days ago and I seriously had to stop after reading about the girl killed in a hot tub. But I haven't been able to get it off my mind since! Stuff of nightmares..

I never really thought about the danger aspect of long hair.

JackintheBox
January 18th, 2019, 01:12 PM
The most recent "dangerous" thing that has happened was my 3 yo nephew grabbing attempting to yank my braid out of my head. Hard to be angry with him, and he didn't do a real damage, more just startled me. But buns are the way to go when he's around now.

Tinyponies
January 19th, 2019, 01:04 PM
This evening I saw an ember from a fire fly into a girls loose wl hair. I rushed to tell her - thank goodness it wasn’t still smouldering!

sugar&nutmeg
January 19th, 2019, 02:47 PM
This evening I saw an ember from a fire fly into a girls loose wl hair. I rushed to tell her - thank goodness it wasn’t still smouldering!

Imagine if she had short(er) hair with lots of (potentially-flammable) product in it!

I can't read the horror stories, too frightening. I mostly wear my hair up when I'm doing anything around the house, and when I'm off the property. It's tempting to wear it down when out-and-about, to 'represent' as an old long-haired woman, but I don't usually want to draw attention to myself.

Someone upthread mentioned a family member working in the prison system, and the danger of long hair in that situation. But that danger is there in the outside world, as well. Long hair, down or braided, makes a very convenient "handle" for people with less-than-good intentions. Getting one's braid pulled "as a joke" :steam is traumatic enough. I remember reading an author's bio, in which she shared that she'd worn a long braid in college, until a guy used it to restrain her against her will. She cut her hair.

Awareness of surroundings and common sense always helps--and not just with hair safety, I guess!