PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get highlights anymore?

teenerz
January 15th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I'm genuinely curious, I never hear about or see highlights anymore. I love ombre hair, and notice how it tends to start mid-cheek or so to sort of frame the face. Years ago I had highlights (which were more prevalent near the front) and was told that it "brightened up" my face a bit. I wouldn't get highlights again as I prefer ombre now, but when done well they can be really lovely (lowlights too).

ErinLeigh
January 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I do highlights. They are much more blended now than the old school stripes that used to be everywhere.
Ombre did kinda change things though. I notice less and less people doing them lately.

Kayla Nyx
January 15th, 2014, 07:31 PM
I love highlights! I have a lot of them and they really helped lighten my hair a bit when I was feeling pretty bored and sad about my hair when it was all black. I plan on getting more.

spidermom
January 15th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Got highlights once, kind of ruined my hair. The bleached sections poofed out and "floated" above the rest of my hair. Truly awful.

slynr
January 15th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Highlights over years fried my fine hair. 1.5 years into growing them out and seems like it is never ending, especially the parts around my face that were more heavily done. Never again.

HumanBean
January 15th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Yes I still do. No issues.

Weewah
January 15th, 2014, 10:32 PM
If I wasn't trying to make my hair healthy I would totally be going and getting my highlights touched up. I always get them because since my hair is dark blonde they make my hair more of a full-on blonde. I successfully grew my natural color out completely 3 years ago and I couldn't take it anymore and got it highlighted again, so I'm trying to be strong and grow them out again... but who knows when a moment of weakness will strike, lol. So to answer your question yes, people like me still get highlights:)

MandyBeth
January 15th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I have them, but it's from not doing the Raven in some streaks, then toss After Midnight over almost everything, with a few in (usually) Rockabilly Blue or one of the purples. Then, since my grays don't hold dye, Rockabilly over everything in a month gives me blue hints.

Minion in training is blonde, and she's got purple streaks. And "blurple" ends. Because why not.

ladylowtide
January 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I haven't seen highlights in forever, though sometimes I see them on dark blonde hair. I've never seen an ombre that starts in the face before, my university is inundated with ombres. Most that I have seen start the bleach between APL and BSL, but there is a lot of hip length+ on campus right now. Though I guess on short hair you might start the ombre at shoulder? I am curious to see if ombres vary by region.

Tini'sNewHair
January 15th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Got highlights once, kind of ruined my hair. The bleached sections poofed out and "floated" above the rest of my hair. Truly awful.
Exactly the same happened to me! It was really awful! :rant:

askan
January 15th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I'm going to try and get some from sunshine this summer! But I'm no fan of the stripey look and I think they look best if the blonde shade of the highlights match the base colour :)

Selkie-
January 16th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I do like highlights but have found through experience that they are too damaging, particularly now that I want to grow to longer lengths.

I last had highlights done 2 years ago - it was beautifully done, very natural and subtle - and I am still enjoying the effect. My hair looks like it has a totally natural subtle lightening on the ends. The non-highlighted 'virgin' section of my hair is however noticeably thicker and less brittle.

meteor
January 17th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I think the highlighting fashion has changed a lot over the last 10-20 years. It's no longer stripes from root to tip in foils, but more balayage semi-highlights semi-ombré now, focused on the ends.
I prefer the more natural look on blondes and light brunettes with strategically placed highlights just a level or two lighter than one's darkest colour - looks more like sun-bleach.

I'm growing out mine, as I find them damaging, causing more tangles.

Do you guys think that highlighting can be more damaging than all-over bleach?

blue_eyes
January 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM
For a long while I stopped seeing highlights on anyone I knew, and it was all either dyed, natural, or ombre hair. I had thought about getting some highlights to look make my blonette hair blonder (once the dye has grown out) but a girl I know just did that and I really didn't like them. Her highlights look very big and chunky, and while the length looks okay, I can't stand the way the roots look. So that kind of reminded me why I stopped highlighting my hair back when I was 14 and it has put me off the highlighted look again. I know that, when done right, highlights can look amazing! But considering my bad salon experiences I'm reluctant to try it and risk having them look awful.

ExpectoPatronum
January 17th, 2014, 02:10 PM
My mom still gets highlights, but they're a lot more subtle now than she used to get. I've only had highlights once when I was younger to help grow out some weird coloration from a dye job went wrong. They were a caramel brown color and really played up my hair color. My hair gets highlights in the summer, so I don't feel the need to get them again.

slynr
January 17th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Highlights can be tough to grow out depending on how they are done.

ositarosita
January 17th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I got them from the age of 9-19 ( thank you mom) ... when they are done well they are beautiful ( multidimensional - lowlights and multiple tones of the highlight colour). Would I do them now?? No I don't think so.. I may do some peek a boo highlights or colour once my hair hits a milestone but not for me anymore. Besides I see wayyyy too many tigers