PDA

View Full Version : if you had to choose..cones or oil

ErinLeigh
January 15th, 2014, 05:41 PM
If in some bizarro world you were forced to choose between cones or oils..which would you choose and why?
Its kind of a tough question in a way for me since both have their place..but I would choose oils due to their variety and the fact I feel oils contribute more to general better overall appearance and health of hair.

kganihanova
January 15th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Oils for sure!

mariakatija
January 15th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Oils! I have recently went cone free and my hair loves it. Plus, oils work as a great leave in for me.

ravenheather
January 15th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Oil oil oil

ErinLeigh
January 15th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I went cone free recently as well. I have actually found oils work just as well and better for anything cones did. I just love them. Each one has its own special thing it gives my hair. I thought I would use cones on special occasion hair when I wanted it to look it's best but I have been so happy with the results of oils I haven't looked back. I wonder if time will change things but so far I am strictly oil :)

Kayla Nyx
January 15th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I would have to experiment much more with oils on my hair because I havent really been to happy with any that I have tried. for now, I would have to say cones. Hopefully that will change someday.

spidermom
January 15th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Cones! In the past, I've always oiled and braided my hair to protect it from sun, sea, and pool while on vacation. Last year my oil was rancid, so I threw it out and used my CHI coney serum instead. My hair has never been in as good of condition after vacation with oils as it was with the coney serum.

But I'm glad I can use both. I love coconut oil as a prewash treatment.

teela1978
January 15th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Cones. I use both but if I had to quit one I'd ditch the oil in a heartbeat.

ErinLeigh
January 15th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I used to love CHI Spidermom so I know that hair you are talking about!
My local Marshalls sells huge containers of CHI for really cheap.

So far my cone free experiment is going really well. I am getting oils to work like cones, but I sometimes secretly wonder if when my hair gets longer or when summer humidity comes if cones will call again though. I get really confused on the whole cones vs oils thing. It has kinda messed with my mind many times lately overthinking it. Fingers crossed oils keep working. When I used cones and oils together it was too much for my hair so I hate that I have to choose. I actually made a post this morning asking about water soluble cones just in case...

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I'm another fan of cones. I gave up oils and love it.

vanillabones
January 15th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Cones. Can't live without 'em.

Rio040113
January 15th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Another vote for oils :) I love how customizable they are.

Wildcat Diva
January 15th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Oil for sure. Is this not a poll?

sourgrl
January 15th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Oddly enough, I would have to say cones. Cones have saved my hair this winter. But since we don't live in a bizzaro world, its cones in the winter and oil only in the summer.

AspenSong
January 15th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I'd go for oil. Cones are finicky with me, but oils never fail me. :)

BlueMajorelle
January 15th, 2014, 09:52 PM
It would be both currently but would choose cones. This is only because I just started experimenting with oils and haven't found one yet that works on its own. Tried coconut-- caused my ends to be "crunchy". Tried argan oil-- caused my hair to look stringy. I'll keep experimenting. :)

Anje
January 15th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Oils for me, unquestionably, since I'm no-silicones now. Silicones dry my hair out; this is definitely an odd effect that most people don't get, but I never said my hair was quite normal.

Weewah
January 15th, 2014, 10:19 PM
That's a tough choice, I tried giving up cones but my hair got even more tangly than normal. Paul Mitchell The Detangler with its water soluble cones has come to my rescue. I prewash with coconut oil, and I use argan oil after styling but I think I need the slip from the cones more than I need oil. So I choose cones!

MandyBeth
January 15th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Cones. Only oil that I can use reliably is argan, but unless I pour 1/2 cup on, it does nothing for frizz. Granted, my hair is a bit less snap prone with argan, but that'd be negated without cones to stop tangle hell.

Lyv
January 15th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I guess I would say oils because I went cone free but I don't use oil much either. I just do a coconut oil prewash but don't use it any other time. I can't seem to find one that won't make my hair look stringy or feel crunchy for everyday use, cones make me greasy too so I've given up for now lol.

Arciela
January 16th, 2014, 12:09 AM
cones! my hair has never been so easy to manage, tangle free and I can wear it down all day and feels great :)

animetor7
January 16th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Oils hands down. My hair can't handle cones, they make it either way too slippery or builds up way too quickly causing oiliness or dryness depending on where the buildup is. They work for some people, but just not for me, so I shall stick with my coconut oil. :)

askan
January 16th, 2014, 12:22 AM
I have only used cones very occasionally in the last couple of years. I didn't like the feel of my hair, kinda plastic, but I guess that's just becuase I'm not used to it! I might experiment with cones if I get problems with tangles in the future.

restless
January 16th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Id choose the oils any day (especially coconut oil)!

Why? Because I feel like (at least for my own hair) cones dont really do anything but hide the damage while theyre still in the hair. Sure the hair gets slippery and shiny but the moment the cones are washed out, the dryness is back. However, oils will work perfectly as a moisturizer and when washed out, it leaves the hair as soft as ever. I thank the oils for taking me this far- theyve saved my old abused ends from the scissors.

Lissandria
January 16th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Oils! Coneys make my hair either sticky or crunchy..

Selkie-
January 16th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Definitely oils although I'm still experimenting with which works best. :)

Emanuelle
January 16th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Oils, my hair loves oils, for nourishment and protection. And they're easier to wash out.

clioariane
January 16th, 2014, 02:53 AM
I like a combination of both.

redtuss
January 16th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Oils all the way. Cones make my hair look and feel disgusting, even if it is completely build-up-free the cones make it feel.. weird. Don't like that feeling. Sure, it looks shiny but I can get the same shine from ACV and argan oil and not get the weirdo-feel.

ErinLeigh
January 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Oils for me, unquestionably, since I'm no-silicones now. Silicones dry my hair out; this is definitely an odd effect that most people don't get, but I never said my hair was quite normal.

I think cones dried my hair out too which is what lead me to experiment with stopping them completely. In addition to the drying though, hair would get oily faster if that makes sense at all. I don't think I was clarifying and was using no sulfates during my extra coney time. If I go back I am planning on using water soluble ones like the Paul Mitchell Detangler.

ErinLeigh
January 16th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Oil for sure. Is this not a poll?

Does bizarro world count for polls? Since it is fantasy choice I didn't think it could be a legit poll. :)

Firefox7275
January 16th, 2014, 08:20 AM
If in some bizarro world you were forced to choose between cones or oils..which would you choose and why?
Its kind of a tough question in a way for me since both have their place..but I would choose oils due to their variety and the fact I feel oils contribute more to general better overall appearance and health of hair.

Silicones ARE oils, albeit artificial ones. I choose natural penetrating oils because I have porous colour treated hair.

Raventresses
January 16th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I like both. Pre-wash with coconut oil and I always use coney conditioner. My hair tangles horribly with out them!

lapushka
January 16th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Cones. More slip and softer texture in my hair, but the difference is really minimal, especially when compared to a few drops of mineral oil.

millyaulait
January 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Cones, They really do make the biggest difference to my hair, but I am using oils for now because I want to try to nourish my hair more instead of just making it look like it's healthy.

lunalocks
January 16th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Oils. Use mineral oil or some other every day, and no cones. Ever.

alexis917
January 16th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'd go for oils, I've been cone free for a while and my hair feels/looks better than it did with cones!
Plus, I think oils are more versatile.

ExpectoPatronum
January 16th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Cones work better for my hair than oils do, so I would choose them. Still, I wouldn't have the healthy hair I do without my pre-wash treatments with olive oil!

Ambystoma
January 16th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Cones for me hands down - I've tried every kind of oil, in every kind of concentration on wet hair, damp hair, dry hair etc and although I can occasionally get sweet almond or jojoba or mineral oil to work ok if I use a tiny amount on dry hair it's just too unpredictable and 90% of the time I just get left with weird crunchy hair that looks and feels like a cheap nylon wig :laugh:

LauraLongLocks
January 16th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I love both, but if I had to make a choice, I would keep the cones.

marymonster
January 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Oils.
Easy choice for me, because my hair HATES cones. :p

kganihanova
January 16th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Cones make my hair look so shiny. Its unsettling. Also they make my hair greasy. And how's this for a weird con, my hair was so soft, it wouldnt' hold a single updo :)

RainbowBowser
January 16th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I love both so I'd probably flip a coin for it.

woodswanderer
January 16th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Cones, baby! Don't make me choose though! ;)