PDA

View Full Version : Broken arm, what can I do with my thigh length hair???

Mary <><
January 15th, 2014, 02:53 PM
In pain, can't spend a lot of time searching the boards but I am sure you lovely longhairs can help! I will set the scene for those who are curious. It was my birthday (Sunday) and I was holding my brand new 4.5 week old bebe. I was going down the stairs in our home and fell 11 steps while holding him.... and I dropped him. I keep seeing it over and over in my mind. I get loser mama of the year award. Spent the whole day in the hospital, in pain, and all I kept seeing all day in my mind was him slipping from my grip. I am really hormonal after having just had a baby, and way overly emotional about this. I also get extra loser points for screaming and writhing in pain in front of my 3 yr old and traumatizing him as well right after the fall.

Anyway, about my hair, it is thigh length now, and I cannot figure out how to get it up in a bun of some sort with my non dominant hand. Any suggestions? Tutorials?

YamaMaya
January 15th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I think torrinpaige has a video that might help, I'm going to go find it :D

Edit: I found it, but it's more for a thumb injury than a whole arm injury, well, maybe it will be useful? http://youtu.be/B-Iz1MWYI8o

woodswanderer
January 15th, 2014, 02:59 PM
So sorry you were injured:grouphug:. Maybe a turban wrap?

TiaKitty
January 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Can you braid it, or can someone braid it for you?

Anje
January 15th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Eek! I hope you get better quickly. Baby's OK?

I think I'd go for a braid or side-braid for the immediate future. It'll still be awkward, but less awkward than trying to bun would be. Failing that, try chain-stitching your hair (just like a crochet chain stitch). That'll eat up a LOT of length and should be pretty doable with one hand.

patienceneeded
January 15th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Ouch! That sounds both painful and scary. As far as your hair - could your SO braid it for you before going to work?

jeanniet
January 15th, 2014, 03:47 PM
You poor thing! I don't have any advice for your hair (sorry), but just wanted to say, don't beat yourself up about it. It was an accident. I tripped and fell while holding my six week old son many years ago, and managed not to drop him, but did hit my head hard and was just lucky to not injure him. I know you feel terrible, but forgive yourself. :blossom:

Mary <><
January 15th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ladies, and the well wishes too. Bebe was completely shielded by my arm leg and torso til the last step. He was totally unharmed and stopped crying the second he was picked up. I am trying to find a bun or ideas I can do without relying on y way over stressed hub. One less thing for him to worry about since he has had to take on caring for 3 people and himself as well. He needs a break, and my massive amount of hair is overwhelming to him, lol.

robin000
January 15th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I broke my non-dominant arm a couple of months ago, and unfortunately I do not have a lot of helpful advice. I found that there was no way at all to do a bun using just one hand (despite checking out a bunch of youtube videos). I could kiiind of do a loose, messy side braid using my mouth as an extra hand, but it wasn't very helpful since I have grown out bangs (chin to collar bone length) that couldn't make it into the braid at all. Also, the sling was awful about causing tangles.

Ultimately I taught my boyfriend to do a nautilus. With his two hands and my one, it turned out alright. What worked best was to get him to put it as high on my head as possible (not the cutest) so that gravity would help offset rather than exacerbate any instability caused by his inexperience with bun construction. I found that a flexi-8 was the best fastener because it stayed comfortable and secure all day—important when you can't fix it by yourself.

I rejoiced when I got enough limited, claw-like function back in my broken arm to do my own hair.

This too shall pass?

Hele
January 15th, 2014, 04:06 PM
oh my god, that must have been so scary! :grouphug: Please don't guilt trip yourself, accidents happen to everybody.

i fell at work and broke my elbow (on the dominant side, of course) in two places a few years ago, my hair was around hip length. I didn't have anyone around to help me with it, i was able to manage an awkward side braid by myself. I had more trouble washing it than anything.

chen bao jun
January 15th, 2014, 04:21 PM
OOh, how awful and scary.
I have no suggestions about the hair problem (good luck) but you don't win loser mama of the year, accidents happen. You managed to keep the baby safe. Your three year old was also fine.
One of my friends hit her six year old with her car once. (He ran behind the car at a ballgame for one of the older kids and is, obviously, short). He was fine (she was in the parking lot and going really slow. He got a few bruises from falling down and a fright). SHE was a mass of guilt for some time afterwards and her older kids made sure everyone knew about it (including mothers in laws and people like that) but all is well. she's actually a very good mom. All's well that end's well, I say (and as mom of three, now 28, 26 and 19, I can tell you that none of us get out of it without some scary moments).

truepeacenik
January 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I tripped with my son too. He didn't hit the ground, but the vibrations from me hitting shook him.

I think most moms at least have a near miss.

Today, he and I tell the story as "I wish I could claim he was dropped on his head, but I caught him."

As for hair, side braids, get a weekly wash at a salon until you have good hand and shoulder mobility back, and maybe have them braid it tightly and let it stay for a few days.

embee
January 15th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Oh no, Mary! Where is Lauren? Can't she help you at all - or is she moved to a new area, I can't recall... I agree with side braid, and perhaps ... Patrick (?is that his name?) ... can help you - 3 is maybe old enough to learn to braid. We were all playing "hair" before we hit school.

Is there an older child from your church who can come help? Pre-teen or young teen - they are very capable and would probably adore doing your hair, taking care of the baby *and* the 3 year old! :)

I dropped DS when he was a newborn... sitting in the rocking chair nursing him and I fell asleep and he fell to the floor! I've never forgotten, and I felt so evil and neglectful.

Very glad it was only a broken arm, not something much worse. Gee whiz.

TiaKitty
January 15th, 2014, 06:27 PM
If you're in the mountains in NC, let me know, I'd help!

spidermom
January 15th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry that happened to you.
I'm down to one hand with a different problem, and I got my hair cut quite a lot shorter with layers. It's so much easier.

I hope you find the solution that is right for you.

UP Lisa
January 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Accidents happen. Baby is fine. Seems you got the worst of it. A while back I had a small surgery on one of my fingers. The bandage made it impossible to do anything much with my hair. It is baby fine, and was hip length. Neither my husband or boys knew how to do even a simple braid, They did help some, but I ended up with a lot of damage from tangles. Hope your hair fares better!

Braidmaid
January 16th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Oh Mary, I'm sooo sorry! You are in my prayers! Don't beat youself up; baby is fine and you will be too! If hubby can't help, I'm sure there has to be someone who can help do at least a simple braid. God bless you!

bunzfan
January 16th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Just wanted to add i was a very prem baby just out of hospital and mum dropped me on my head :lol: maybe that's why i'm so strange only kidding, don't feel bad i almost dropped my eldest coming down the stairs it is easily done .

Panth
January 16th, 2014, 02:01 PM
At thigh length, you should be able to do a coronet (aka faux crown) braid. Just one English braid and pin it over the top of your head like a headband. I realise that's going to be pretty tricky with only one useable hand but it might be something that you could get help with, whereas buns are often just sheer magic to the uninitiated, e.g. husbands. You could do the braid as a side braid on the side away from your broken arm. It'd be difficult and require practice (and maybe assistance) but might be more workable than a bun, whilst still keeping all the hair up, out of the way and tangle-free.

MeganE
January 16th, 2014, 03:21 PM
How horrible!! I think you win SUPER MOM of the year award for keeping your baby safe under such dangerous circumstances. That could easily have killed him, and he wasn't even hurt? You did amazing, mom.

I have a tutorial to offer.

My hair is nowhere near as long as yours, but I just played around with it and managed to get a bun that holds using just my left hand and two pins. I used the basics of the rope braid for a base, I think it makes a better one handed bun than a cinnamon bun which falls apart more. Really don't know if this "style" would be easier or harder with longer hair. Probably easier in the braiding, harder in the bunning? Not sure. Either way, my hair is freshly washed, and I think it would be ten times easier if it had some oil in it.

Hope this helps, and good luck healing well and soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31taMJFDsM4&feature=youtu.be

HylianGirl
January 16th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I'm so sorry for what happened, I'm sure it wasnt your fault, accidents happen, I'm sure you're a great mom. I hope you get better, and congratulations on the baby ^-^

MeganE
January 16th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Someone compliment my video!! I invented the one-handed Mary bun an hour and a half ago and I neeeeeed applause!!!!!!!

GoddesJourney
January 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Well, do you have a girl friend next door or something that can braid it for you and then wrap it in a bun? If you're anything like most people, you probably have a lot of good people offering their help with anything you need...and I'm sure you would say thank you but not take them up on it. Most people don't mind helping others but hate to feel like a burden when they need the help. I bet if you accept the help of one of these people, they will help you sort out those things around the house or groceries or whatever it is that is putting a lot of pressure on you and your man. One day at a time and the weeks will fly by as you find a new routine and watch your condition improve. No worries. :)

chen bao jun
January 16th, 2014, 05:01 PM
That one handed bun was something to watch. You are very dexterous. I dont think I could manage that.
Off to practice putting up hair with one hand--in case---?

MeganE
January 16th, 2014, 05:03 PM
That one handed bun was something to watch. You are very dexterous. I dont think I could manage that.
Off to practice putting up hair with one hand--in case---?

I think with longer hair, one could do the shoulder toss for further down the braid to get it better rooted. I was kidding before, but I would like to know if Mary is able to use this. :)

Mary <><
January 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
So sorry for my delay in replying! Been crazy with the pain, the appointments, the bebe, and my toddler as well. Whew! Megan! You are BRILLIANT!!!Thanks so much!!! I appreciate all the suggestions everyone! My hair is too much for other people to deal with, so I am so happy to be able to this myself! Embee, Lauren does still live nearby, but she is super busy with one kiddo of her own, 3 foster children, and one more baby on the way! She would love to help but she is busy! I need to be able to do this on my own anyway. I hate to be so dependent on other people. Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes everyone!

MeganE
January 22nd, 2014, 05:19 AM
Woooooot!!!!!!