PDA

View Full Version : Feed back on my routine - still splits

Misschilly
January 15th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I've been around here for a while now and would like some feed back on my routine.

My hair recently reached WL...
I wear it up in some kind of bun with sticks/forks/flexi-8 or spin pins every day
every morning I BBB 100 times with a mixed mp brush after detangling
I massage my scalp every evening with an "electric spider" I love the feeling!
During the night I braid and leave it without any elastic in my silk cap
I dust my hair at least every 3 month, trying to not do it too often
I CO once a week, I often add some honey to the co in the length, but maybe I'll buy some richer co later on..
Clarifying due to need
I add MO after wash or argan oil a couple of times during the week
I make a dt that contains protein like once a month

Today after my dt I found a pretty much splits in my hair..maybe it's just my natural state or can it be the brushing? Would a pure BBB be much gentlier on my hair?

thank you for the opinions! =)

Misschilly

YamaMaya
January 15th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I would say drastically cut down on the brushing. Even a BBB can cause mechanical damage if used too much.

Emanuelle
January 15th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I agree on the BBB. Detangle gently, use your fingers, a wide tooth comb, tangle teezer and don't do it a 100 times.

Btw, what kind of split do you mean? An actual split on the end of a hair, or just a group of hairs that grows in different directions (that's no a split btw). And is there actual breakage?

Misschilly
January 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I agree on the BBB. Detangle gently, use your fingers, a wide tooth comb, tangle teezer and don't do it a 100 times.

Btw, what kind of split do you mean? An actual split on the end of a hair, or just a group of hairs that grows in different directions (that's no a split btw). And is there actual breakage?

Yeah I mean real split ends, I don't think there's breakage?

meteor
January 15th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I love your routine.

A couple points:

1) You CO every week but how often do you clarify? Do you rotate your conditioners? Is your conditioner prone to build-up (cones, waxes, quats, etc)? If so, clarify more often or use less conditioner or a lighter conditioner that builds up less.

2) Do you really need to brush your hair often? It's not for detangling (use fingers and seemless wide-tooth combs for that), but for sleekness and shine and fluffy volume and stimulating the scalp with boar bristles. If you really NEED to brush, make sure it's a very high quality brush without too many bristles.

3) How does your hair behave in winter-time? Specifically when your hair is this long? Some people's hair at serious lengths will simply be a lot drier in harsh winter. I'm one of them. Solution for me: wash only as needed, always "seal" with quality protective oils and reapply proactively, use more and heavier conditioners and oils than in summer-time, avoid wool/flannel like the plague.

Misschilly
January 15th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I love your routine.

A couple points:

1) You CO every week but how often do you clarify? Do you rotate your conditioners? Is your conditioner prone to build-up (cones, waxes, quats, etc)? If so, clarify more often or use less conditioner or a lighter conditioner that builds up less.

2) Do you really need to brush your hair often? It's not for detangling (use fingers and seemless wide-tooth combs for that), but for sleekness and shine and fluffy volume and stimulating the scalp with boar bristles. If you really NEED to brush, make sure it's a very high quality brush without too many bristles.

3) How does your hair behave in winter-time? Specifically when your hair is this long? Some people's hair at serious lengths will simply be a lot drier in harsh winter. I'm one of them. Solution for me: wash only as needed, always "seal" with quality protective oils and reapply proactively, use more and heavier conditioners and oils than in summer-time, avoid wool/flannel like the plague.

1 Maybe I'll clarify every 8th week or so, I started CO i september and have done it twice since..

2. I brush to distribute the oil from the scalp and I really like the result..I have a mason pearson mixed brush, but maybe a pure BBB would be better..

3. I don't see so much difference in my hair (it's also my first LHC winter=)) I just always put a hat on with an old satin cap over the bun when I go out..

meteor
January 15th, 2014, 02:57 PM
1 Maybe I'll clarify every 8th week or so, I started CO i september and have done it twice since..
Hm, hampooing every 2 months sounds pretty infrequent to me, but everyone's hair is different and if your hair feels nice on this routine, definitely keep it up. You really need to follow how your scalp and hair feel. Just triple check all the ingredients on your CO conditioner, make sure your hair is fine accumulating these ingredients 8 times over 8 weeks before you clarify.

2. I brush to distribute the oil from the scalp and I really like the result..I have a mason pearson mixed brush, but maybe a pure BBB would be better..
When did you start using the brush? Mason Pearson mixed brush is excellent, and if you like how it feels, keep using it, but you may want to limit how many times you brush, brush only when some sebum has accumulated (closer to wash days) and maybe focus on the scalp more than the ends.
All combing and brushing is somewhat damaging, so don't overdo it.

3. I don't see so much difference in my hair (it's also my first LHC winter=)) I just always put a hat on with an old satin cap over the bun when I go out..
So your hair is not drier, more tangly, less shiny? The only problem is split ends? Then I do suspect the problem is brushing 100 times every day. That's A LOT! And the damage accumulates over time. Think of how many brush-strokes your hair cuticles have to sustain in a month or a year.

sarahthegemini
January 15th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Hey there!
The only thing I would change about your routine is the 100 brush strokes a day thing, as that can be a bit excessive especially on fine hair. Keep in mind though that long hair is old hair and therefore more 'weathered' so even with the best routine you can still get splits.

Selkie-
January 16th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Haven't got any wisdom for you - your routine sounds great to me but just wanted to say I think your hair looks gorgeous in your profile picture. :)

Misschilly
January 16th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Hey there!
The only thing I would change about your routine is the 100 brush strokes a day thing, as that can be a bit excessive especially on fine hair. Keep in mind though that long hair is old hair and therefore more 'weathered' so even with the best routine you can still get splits.

Yes, I'll cut down on the brushing a bit!

Misschilly
January 16th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Haven't got any wisdom for you - your routine sounds great to me but just wanted to say I think your hair looks gorgeous in your profile picture. :)

HI,

how nice of you! It's from august and I'm growing out dye, so I'm not natrully a read head=)

Misschilly
January 16th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Hm, hampooing every 2 months sounds pretty infrequent to me, but everyone's hair is different and if your hair feels nice on this routine, definitely keep it up. You really need to follow how your scalp and hair feel. Just triple check all the ingredients on your CO conditioner, make sure your hair is fine accumulating these ingredients 8 times over 8 weeks before you clarify.

Is there any special igredients I should look out for (more than cones?)

When did you start using the brush? Mason Pearson mixed brush is excellent, and if you like how it feels, keep using it, but you may want to limit how many times you brush, brush only when some sebum has accumulated (closer to wash days) and maybe focus on the scalp more than the ends.
All combing and brushing is somewhat damaging, so don't overdo it.

I've had the brush for like 6 months..I guess 'll cut down on the brushing a bit!

So your hair is not drier, more tangly, less shiny? The only problem is split ends? Then I do suspect the problem is brushing 100 times every day. That's A LOT! And the damage accumulates over time. Think of how many brush-strokes your hair cuticles have to sustain in a month or a year.

Maybe it's a bit tanglier, it's hard to compare when I didn't cared as much for my hair last year!

ErinLeigh
January 16th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Is there protein in the conditioner you use? Maybe the protein treatment on top of a protein conditioner is too much?
Only mention it since you said you noticed it after last DT.

what conditioner do you use for daily and what is in the DT?

Misschilly
January 16th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Is there protein in the conditioner you use? Maybe the protein treatment on top of a protein conditioner is too much?
Only mention it since you said you noticed it after last DT.

what conditioner do you use for daily and what is in the DT?

I use a cheap cone free Co for washing, really don't think it contains protein..nopp, just checked=) I know the DT contains protein and shea butter.

Wosie
January 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Hey, fellow Swede! I would also recommend for you to brush less, and to clarify maybe a little more often (I could learn from these tips as well... *addicted to brushing and seldom clarifies*). Otherwise you seem to have quite a nice regimen going on. :)

Firefox7275
January 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Research shows grooming (brushing and combing) is damaging, there is no evidence boar bristle or other natural are better. Excessive grooming will strip away structural lipids (fats/ oils gluing together and coating the cuticle) and proteins (cuticle 'scales'), it makes no sense to systematically destroy this natural protection then try to replenish with treatments.

If you like sebum work it down with your fingers gently in the shower, or head to the Sciencey Hairblog and look up her artificial sebum oil blend recipe. Healthy/ younger/ virgin hair has its own structural lipids holding the cuticle together and protecting it: these are lost due to everyday 'weathering' (shampooing, grooming, hairs rubbing on other hairs and on fabrics, sunlight etc). You can temporarily replace these lipids with products containing 18-MEA and/ or ceramides but much better to minimise losses with super gentle haircare.

What do you mean you make a deep treatment? Most food proteins are useless for hair, the protein needs to be hydrolysed. Gelatin is the only rich food source.

Shea butter is poor to penetrate and likely doesn't on damp or wet hair (oil and water do not mix), butters are not known for slip and can build up especially when conditioner only washing.

LadyCelestina
January 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM
It seems you are a fan of the George Michael care system? :)

In my opinion,the 100 strokes a day only make sense if you rarely cleanse your length,to remove dust and stuff from scalp + distribute oils.Those following a no water/sebum only or water only regime might benefit from frequent brushing,but since you co-wash weekly,I think you can get away with less.
UNLESS you are forcing your scalp to accept co-washing,by what I mean,the co-washing leaves your scalp not feeling clean and you make up for that by brushing.Is that the case?

ETA : I see you are fine/medium haired,if so,the brushing really is excessive :).

Misschilly
January 16th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Hey, fellow Swede! I would also recommend for you to brush less, and to clarify maybe a little more often (I could learn from these tips as well... *addicted to brushing and seldom clarifies*). Otherwise you seem to have quite a nice regimen going on. :)

Hi, yeah always nice to see nordic people here! =)

Misschilly
January 16th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Research shows grooming (brushing and combing) is damaging, there is no evidence boar bristle or other natural are better. Excessive grooming will strip away structural lipids (fats/ oils gluing together and coating the cuticle) and proteins (cuticle 'scales'), it makes no sense to systematically destroy this natural protection then try to replenish with treatments.

It sounds like common sense! =)

If you like sebum work it down with your fingers gently in the shower, or head to the Sciencey Hairblog and look up her artificial sebum oil blend recipe. Healthy/ younger/ virgin hair has its own structural lipids holding the cuticle together and protecting it: these are lost due to everyday 'weathering' (shampooing, grooming, hairs rubbing on other hairs and on fabrics, sunlight etc). You can temporarily replace these lipids with products containing 18-MEA and/ or ceramides but much better to minimise losses with super gentle haircare.

What do you mean you make a deep treatment? Most food proteins are useless for hair, the protein needs to be hydrolysed. Gelatin is the only rich food source.

I have a comercal hair mask I use.

Shea butter is poor to penetrate and likely doesn't on damp or wet hair (oil and water do not mix), butters are not known for slip and can build up especially when conditioner only washing.

Ok, do you think my dt once a month would build up too much? I'll try to keep an eye on that!

askan
January 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM
This is just a thought: If one's hair is waistlength now, the longest strands should be a couple of years old. Is it possible that something has happened during that period that makes part of the hair weaker, and that part has now reached the ends and therefore one can experience unexplained increase in splits at times?
Say if my diet was really really bad for 3 months in 2011, and those month's new growth is now my ends, maybe that could explain if my ends got weaker than normal?

lapushka
January 16th, 2014, 02:43 PM
every morning I BBB 100 times with a mixed mp brush after detangling
I massage my scalp every evening with an "electric spider" I love the feeling!

I would *drastically* cut down on the brushing. 100 brush strokes is not good! I would ease up on the scalp massaging *every* evening as well. It's good once in a while, just not every day.