PDA

View Full Version : dry shampoo

EvelynMay
January 15th, 2014, 06:16 AM
how do you feel about it? what do you use? are there bad side effects that I'm not aware of? I started pondering this last week as I was reading a thread that I now forget what about exactly... but something to do with how often you wash your hair. And many people were saying they wish they could skip a day of shampooing, but that their hair got too greasy too fast and they needed to shower everyday. And I kept thinking to myself why is no one using dry shampoo to extend their washes? And I started to wonder if there was a reason...

Anyways, I have been using a dry shampoo for a few years now. Well, except it's not really dry shampoo, it's just baby powder. I've never used a "real" dry shampoo. I at the most shampoo every other day, and most of the time shampoo, wait 2 days in between, then shampoo again. Sometimes my hair will get a little greasy at the part in my hair on the 3rd day, to which I sprinkle a little baby powder close to the hair part and run my fingers through the top of my hair until it has gone completely in. I've found it absorbs the grease wonderfully and makes it look like I just washed my hair! I even have dark brown hair and it doesn't effect my color at all i.e. tuning white or light, as long as I keep working it into the hair part enough. And I have a sensitive scalp that can get dry and it doesn't effect that either as I don't use it daily and I don't use very much at all. Gives some body back as well. So I'm curious, is there a reason some of you don't use dry shampoo to help with greasiness in between washes? And then of course the aforementioned questioned to current dry shampoo (or baby powder!) users :D

arr
January 15th, 2014, 06:31 AM
I love dry shampoo. My favorite is Batiste, the original fresh scent. I have bangs that tend to get greasy before the rest of my hair so i use the dry shampoo on them. I wash my hair twice a week so by the morning of wash day i need to use it on more of my head than just the bangs (since i normally wash at night). Ive never noticed any bad side effects and i love that it makes my hair smell clean and gives me more volume.

sally_neuf
January 15th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Well.. two days ago I realized my hair was looking really greasy because I haven't wash it in a week. But my day was extremely busy so I did not had time to wash it, next day I just run powder cocoa (for obvious colour reasons) and bun it. It really helps with the shiny look but not with the overall appearance. I'd say I could only strecht one day like that, besides I don't want to smudge my pillow with cocoa.

shutterpillar
January 15th, 2014, 07:16 AM
I use Suave brand dry shampoo maybe two to three times a month and I have no adverse reactions to it. I can't stand the smell of it though... it's too floral smelling for me, so I'll only use this brand until it's gone and I can find one that smells better. I wouldn't repurchase it.

Just make sure you use dry shampoo gently and wash it out thoroughly.

Firefox7275
January 15th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I used to use baby powder but switched to Batiste years ago, remove the excess with a soft microfibre towel. I suspect it is less damaging for my porous, colour treated hair than washing more often (hygral fatigue). The only area that gets treated are the relatively healthy (and sometimes virgin) roots, and I don't brush it through (grooming = mechanical damage), so no risk to the ends.

Buggheart
January 15th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I'm one of those who feels like I need to wash my hair every day. It gets very greasy overnight and once in a while I'll use dry shampoo (LUSH) if I need to run out to the store or something and am too lazy to shower. But I'd never do that on a work day as I'd just feel gross in general. Like I can't even shower at night because I feel greasy and uncomfortable by morning. The dry shampoo makes my unwashed hair look OK, but it dulls it terribly and also lightens the roots so I only use it on rare occasions.

ErinLeigh
January 15th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I used to use baby powder on my hair. Worked really well for greasy roots although it has to be blended in really well. I have tried the spray type of dry shampoo but it did not work as well for me.

Magalo
January 15th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I use Dove dry shampoo and I love it! :)

sarahthegemini
January 15th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Batiste is a miracle product for me. I spray it on my roots when my day 3 hair decides to be a grease pit and it completely revamps my hair. I am only washing my hair x2 a week now (as opposed to daily) and dry shampoo is essential. I took the advice of Firefox and remove the excess with a microfiber towel and it leaves my hair looking clean, but not dull.

vanillabones
January 15th, 2014, 12:47 PM
A lot of members have been asking about this lately!
Klorane is my favorite brand of dry shampoo I have the powder version right now. The spray version is my favorite but it gets used up too fast.
I have the suave spray dry shampoo right now and I hate the smell it smells like lemons to me and it doesn't even work.
I used baby powder in high school and it drove my parents mad so they got me dry shampoo.
I haven't noticed any damage from it but I'm worried that the rubbing and then having to wash a little more harshly to get it out could be counterproductive.
When I run out of dry shampoo I'm going to start scalp washing. My hair gets greasy pretty fast but I refuse to wash it every day or every other day. My scalp LOVES to be really clean so just washing the crown and roots should work better for me.
I also only wash during the day because if I wash before bed it will be greasy and have horrible shape by the morning.

meteor
January 15th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I haven't noticed any damage from it but I'm worried that the rubbing and then having to wash a little more harshly to get it out could be counterproductive.
When I run out of dry shampoo I'm going to start scalp washing. My hair gets greasy pretty fast but I refuse to wash it every day or every other day. My scalp LOVES to be really clean so just washing the crown and roots should work better for me.

I see that many people use it successfully, but I'm wondering about the same thing. Should it be more of an emergency product, when waiting an extra day is impossible?
Also, does dry shampoo over oily scalp cause any sort of "cakiness", heavier build-up? Intuitively, it seems that adding a product ultimately results only in an illusion of cleanliness (same as powder over oily skin), but more cakey residue. Is it true that one can only get an extra day out of a dry shampoo, and if it's really so, I'd rather just wait a day or shampoo a day early, unless it's an emergency, of course.

arr
January 15th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Meteor, i can usually get two extra days without noticing any build up, but its definitely not a long term substitute for washing. Just stretching it a day or two.

EvelynMay
January 16th, 2014, 08:08 AM
A lot of members have been asking about this lately!
Klorane is my favorite brand of dry shampoo I have the powder version right now. The spray version is my favorite but it gets used up too fast.
I have the suave spray dry shampoo right now and I hate the smell it smells like lemons to me and it doesn't even work.
I used baby powder in high school and it drove my parents mad so they got me dry shampoo.
I also only wash during the day because if I wash before bed it will be greasy and have horrible shape by the morning.

why did it bother your parents? was it the smell? I don't usually use very much so the majority of the time I do not smell it on myself, but sometimes I maybe used a little more than usual and I can. It hasn't bothered me enough to stop using it though. HOWEVER, I've noticed that I strongly dislike anything else that is baby powder scented, like deodorant. I refuse to wear baby powder scented deodorant as it reminds me of dirty hair... is that weird?! So obviously the scent bothers me a little. But it works so well! I'd love to have unscented baby powder... wait, does that exist?!

I see that many people use it successfully, but I'm wondering about the same thing. Should it be more of an emergency product, when waiting an extra day is impossible?
Also, does dry shampoo over oily scalp cause any sort of "cakiness", heavier build-up? Intuitively, it seems that adding a product ultimately results only in an illusion of cleanliness (same as powder over oily skin), but more cakey residue. Is it true that one can only get an extra day out of a dry shampoo, and if it's really so, I'd rather just wait a day or shampoo a day early, unless it's an emergency, of course.

I haven't noticed any cakeyness as I don't need to use very much. I only put it on the top of my head near my hair part and focusing more near the front. It's definitely not something I put all over. I'm not sure how dry shampoo feels, but baby powder blends nicely and I don't feel any weighing down or cakeyness. If I was someone who liked wearing my hair up I suppose I would just put my hair up on 3rd day hair and wait an extra day until shampooing as you said, but I don't like to wear my hair up so that's why I use the baby powder instead so that it looks nice and clean when worn down on 3rd day hair :) It is somewhat of an illusion as you say, but it does absorb the oil so it is doing a little something rather than just full on masking. Sometimes if I can get away with or I don't have time my washes get stretched even more and I will use it a second day in a row, but usually not more than that. I suppose that several days of using it could lead to some build up feeling/appearance, but I'm not sure!

Firefox7275
January 16th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I have no visible residue or build up even tho I now co-wash, the product is little more than starch anyway. Batiste is a fairly fine mist and any excess is removed with the towel not rubbed in/ left on. I only tried one another (cheap dollar store product) and it made the hair wet so I tossed it.

Mainesongbird
January 16th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I like Pssst, or Suave. I use it every week.

jacqueline101
January 16th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I have the suave one and I love the smell. On my hair it does a good job. I've never heard of any side effects. I would repurchase it when it runs out.