PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Hair Salon Problem...

HintOfMint
January 14th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I don't think my hairdresser cut off enough hair. Yes, you read that right. Granted, I asked for half an inch and he showed me on the ends of my hair how much would be cut off. It looked like half an inch and I approved. He did exactly as I asked, to the letter. Problem is, I think I should have asked for more. My ends are still kinda crunchy even after clarifying, moisturizing, cutting out protein, chelating and all that jazz. It's just old ends and trims help immensely with that. Only now, even after a haircut, I don't have the fresh cut ends feeling that I'm craving.

I usually get my hair cut twice a year and I won't be due for another six months. Should I just baby my hair as much as I can and hold out until my next trim? Should I sink the money into another trim right now? What would you guys do?

On the plus side, I found a stylist who does exactly what I say and I don't have to account for the "hairdresser's inch," where I have to halve the amount I want taken off to get what I actually want off! This is exciting!

ETA: I have layers and I don't want to chance it with a crea clip, and I straight up don't trust myself with a pair of scissors, so cutting my own hair is out.

Flor
January 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM
I personally cannot stand dried out crunchy ends. On my hair they tangle a lot, they puff up, the never seem to be able to hold moisture in. So I cut and trim everything that can't be salvaged. That's the reason I have layers in the first place, my hair gets a good beating from sun/wind/whatnot, so my top layers always get damaged faster.

Maybe wait a few washes and if still not happy, have another go to the salon?

askan
January 15th, 2014, 02:07 AM
I agree with Flor if you can afford another visit! Six months is a long time with crunchy ends. And be sure to tell the hairdresser your appreciation!
Or you could compromise and baby your hair for three months, get a trim and then continue the 6 months pattern from there:)

Kherome
January 15th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Perhaps try a second chelating wash with a good moisture treatment. If that fails, then the hair dresser may fix your hair for free. Most will, if you say you aren't exactly happy.

Theobroma
January 15th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Have you tried putting a tiny bit of pure shea butter on your ends? I find it helps immensely with the "old ends" feeling.

lapushka
January 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Better yet, try clarifying one more time, and perhaps try the LOC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167&highlight=method) for styling. Some who have tried reported (on another forum) nice and soft hair/ends.

Marika
January 15th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I would get another trim if I were you. Six months is long time if the ends are bothering you.

I once went to this very fancy and cool salon and said "do whatever you like" (I had virgin waist length hair and was really bored with it). I was thinking color, major cut, layers etc. The hairdresser (male) did nothing but cut maybe an inch or so! :D He thought long hair suited my face and loved my natural color. Quite refreshing! :)

ErinLeigh
January 15th, 2014, 12:20 PM
IF you wen
I don't think my hairdresser cut off enough hair. Yes, you read that right. Granted, I asked for half an inch and he showed me on the ends of my hair how much would be cut off. It looked like half an inch and I approved. He did exactly as I asked, to the letter. Problem is, I think I should have asked for more. My ends are still kinda crunchy even after clarifying, moisturizing, cutting out protein, chelating and all that jazz. It's just old ends and trims help immensely with that. Only now, even after a haircut, I don't have the fresh cut ends feeling that I'm craving.

I usually get my hair cut twice a year and I won't be due for another six months. Should I just baby my hair as much as I can and hold out until my next trim? Should I sink the money into another trim right now? What would you guys do?

On the plus side, I found a stylist who does exactly what I say and I don't have to account for the "hairdresser's inch," where I have to halve the amount I want taken off to get what I actually want off! This is exciting!

ETA: I have layers and I don't want to chance it with a crea clip, and I straight up don't trust myself with a pair of scissors, so cutting my own hair is out.

If you go back to salon they will re trim it for free. Even if he followed you instructions to a T they will still re do so you wont have to spend more money. If you truly want more cut off then go for it since you know this stylist will do exactly what you want.

Yozhik
January 15th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Haha - this happened to me years ago, too. I told the hairdressers I was growing out my then shoulder-length hair, and she only cut off about 1 cm. I went back 2 weeks later to get another inch off. :o

ositarosita
January 15th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I'm a self trimmer .. I use this method ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo2mGymUVwY&list=FLdOqTWdKbSGUWciwxI4tu5w&index=5. Personally if I wasn't happy even though he LISTENED I would go back and ask for some more taken off (which they should do free of charge because you were not satisfied with the end result)

HintOfMint
January 15th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Y'all are right, I think I'm going to make another appointment to get more cut off with the same stylist. I do feel like kind of a jerk, getting another cut for free, especially since he did exactly what I asked. If I have to pay again, I wouldn't mind doing that. I just want these crunchy ends gone. I know from experience that my ends need a twice yearly trim and trying to go beyond that results in less-than-ideal hair. Ah well.

LaFlor
January 15th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I can't help but think that this might be why stylists stop listening. If people regularly go back because they want more taken off, perhaps that is the reason they started taking off more than what is asked? :p

HintOfMint
January 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I can't help but think that this might be why stylists stop listening. If people regularly go back because they want more taken off, perhaps that is the reason they started taking off more than what is asked? :p

*Sigh* This is depressing, but I think this is part of it. I think it's a vicious cycle. I ask for half an inch because I think a hairdresser's going to take off double what I ask for, and hairdressers (like all people, really) overestimate what an inch really means, and it's usually a lovely finished product because the client really feels the difference and hairdressers know that clients like to feel like a million bucks when they leave the chair...

In any case, I'm perfectly happy to go back to him. He and I were in complete agreement about razors and using scissors to slice layers into my hair (he was horrified that stylists have done that to me in the past) and he showed me exactly how much he was going to cut off.